Patrick Chan | Page 134 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's the link to Patrick's event at Earl Haigh School. This event is live streamed to all Toronto District School Board schools.
Did the video play for you Spiky? It didn't work for me (I'm guessing it's either geoblocked or only viewable live). For those, like me, who can't get the video to play, here's an article summarizing Patrick's visit and what he said (includes a few pictures). He said his first reaction to winning the silver was an amazing feeling in which all his hard work paid off. That's our Patrick, always looking on the bright side! He also said he wants to compete in the next Olympics (the article didn't say in which sport, curling or figure skating :laugh:).

You could have gone to visit as an alma mater.;) I heard some students from nearby schools dropped by EH.

Apparently, Patrick also visited his former high school (Ecole Secondaire Etienne-Brule) too after Earl Haig.

And lucky Patrick receiving a personalised jersey from Toronto Rapters!

Just found this. Patrick's interview at Canada AM. He's looking good, and his skin looks flawless. :)
Thanks once again Spiky! :) I'm so glad to see Patrick looking so refreshed and happy! Yuzuru can have the OGM; Patrick has my heart. :biggrin:

I am curious about what he said in the Canada AM interview about the atmosphere in the rink negatively affecting him at competitions, subconsciously. It actually sounded like Patrick intentionally paid attention to the crowd noise in Sochi. I know Patrick doesn't believe in consulting sports psychologists (because Mr. Colson didn't), but isn't that exactly what they can help you overcome/block out? I guess my question is, how much "help" does a sports psychologist give and how much is still ultimately in the skater's hands? I think Gracie Gold consulted a sports psychologist after she changed coaches and her results have picked up considerably, likely due to a whole combination of factors. I've just always wondered how much "help" a sports psychologist really provides. Every skater is different and would probably respond to such help in different ways. Any thoughts?

Violet

Rinkside
It's nice to hear that Patrick hopes to go to the next Olympics :)

I got some edited versions of the music that Patrick has skated to. I thought it would be nice to share them here with you guys :) Most of them were converted to audio files from youtube vids. For Elegie, it is hard to find the exact version he used, not sure who was the pianist. Therefore, I used the version from his official practice for SC, and it works pretty well- you can't hear anything other than the music itself although the quality of the sound isn't that great but not bad at all. Still need to get "Take Five" and "Concierto de Aranjuez".

Patrick Chan 08-10 SP Tango de los Exilados.mp3

Patrick Chan 08-09 LP Selections from Rachmaninoff.mp3

Patrick Chan 09-11 LP Phantasia.mp3

Patrick Chan 12-13 LP La Boheme.mp3

Patrick Chan 12-14 SP Elegie .mp3

Patrick Chan 13-14 LP The Four Seasons.mp3

spikydurian

Medalist
Thank you very much, Violet. I will keep the music in my car. And each time I listen to it, I will think of his skating.

Thanks skatingfan for the link to summary of EH's event. Here are more pictures from his EH's visit. Looking sooo handsome in the first pix. Definitely, my type. Wish I am many decades younger. ;)

Yes, skatingfan. Patrick will always be the 'gold' in my heart too. He has so many golden moments and I can replay these moments again and again and think of his skating and beautiful smile whenever I need a uplift.:)

Found this vid on Patrick's visit to his former high school, Étienne-Brûlé. It's all in french so I don't understand anything. I assume they asked the same questions. Judging from the pictures, Toronto is very multicultural.

I don't really know what sports psychologists do. But I do think they can play a useful part to allow the person to talk through what is in one's mind and how to deal with those 'fears' or be better prepared. I do agree that every individual deals with their mental states individually. It is easy for us bystanders who are not involved in elite competition to judge but personally, it's really up to them to deal with their mental in a manner best befits their state of of mind. I know many athletes suffer post competition depression too. In fact, the ones I heard of were all gold medalists and who really made it big and great after the gold medals. Australia has a few great swimmers who got into depression problems. It is real. Someone commented, 'when one trains so hard day in and out and is turned into a winning machine', when the winning stops (retire), that machine fails to adjust to reality. In short, one can be come so institutionalised with the training.

Suzzie

Rinkside
thank you all for links, for music, video, photos/
glad to see Patrick is ok. I hope he won't change sport for next Olympics :) I adore curling, but prefer him seeing skating.

about sports psychologists, don't know what they do exactly but I think they do a lot of things to help men to stay calm. Recently I've read an interview with Yagudin, he told about his psychologist. He confirmed that psychologist helped him a lot. and it is true, he was very calm, and mentally strong with psychologist

sk8hrd

Rinkside
Someone commented, 'when one trains so hard day in and out and is turned into a winning machine', when the winning stops (retire), that machine fails to adjust to reality. In short, one can be come so institutionalised with the training.

I totally agree with this statement. When I finally retired from competing I actually went through a period of depression and re-adjustment. My entire life had revolved around training and competing. All my friends were where I trained and would spend five to six hours a day with them and then catch a bite to eat with them and then sometimes catch a movie and so on. Then all of a sudden one day you are no longer with your friends and you have to find things to do to fill the time that was spent training. Also your whole life, your whole identity, was that of an athlete and then suddenly you're not anymore. Its actually like changing from a job you really love and trying to find a completely new job. I know a lot of my friends who were athletes actually struggled when they retired from their sport as well.

I wish Patrick all the best in his transition to his new life and I hope he knows that we would love to have him come back anytime.

emdee

Final Flight
Well, if he is going to be located in Toronto I guess he will train here too. Hopefully he finds a coach he likes. There seem to be plenty of world level coaches in the area.

spikydurian

Medalist
sk8hrd, I hope your 'depression' didn't last very long. The Australian experience found some female athletes adjusted better than male athletes. Maybe some married well and became occupied with bringing up family whereas the male athletes struggled to find a career as glittering as their gold medals. The cases well publicised include domestic violence and drinking. The Federation will support you to get your gold medals, post Olympics, I think the family's support is crucial. Maybe, a more down to earth person will adjust better. I think if you know that some day, something got to end, may make the adjustment a lot more easier than to be in denial mode.

Patrick seems to have his family support and now that he is going to University, it will be a test to how he adjusts to studying and skating. I think it is only a test period for him to figure out the best way forward. As a fan, hopefully, he may decide he still want to give it one last go for a World gold medal. Eh, that will help me to adjust too after following him for some time. If a fan can find adjustment not as easy, what more for a full time athlete.

Coriana

On the Ice
In a short interview with Brenda Irving he said that he would definitely not be competing in the Grand Prix season. When she pressed him on when he would have to make a decision about ever returning to completion, he hesitated, then said that 'the first mark" would be the 2015 Nationals. He added that if he came back he would have to make a new plan, as he did after Vancouver.

He mentioned that he was still having sleepless nights about what might have been, and said that hearing Hanyu's marks did not help his free skate. i

Meoima

Match Penalty
In a short interview with Brenda Irving he said that he would definitely not be competing in the Grand Prix season. When she pressed him on when he would have to make a decision about ever returning to completion, he hesitated, then said that 'the first mark" would be the 2015 Nationals. He added that if he came back he would have to make a new plan, as he did after Vancouver.

He mentioned that he was still having sleepless nights about what might have been, and said that hearing Hanyu's marks did not help his free skate. i

Poor PChan, too much pressure on him to take the gold. :cry: and now Hanyu is suffering the same, even more. The Worlds is a nightmare for the kid. I feel sad for these 2 young men. They deserve more than just pressure and stress.
I don't know about Canadian's overall support towards him after Sochi but I have seen my friends in Canada post some positive thoughts about him. I hope Canadian don't love him less. PChan, have a rest now and come back whenever you feel better.:)

Coriana

On the Ice
Patrick said again in this interview that since Sochi the love and support of the Canadian fans has been wonderful.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Patrick said again in this interview that since Sochi the love and support of the Canadian fans has been wonderful.
:cry: poor him, how much pressure he was put under, but I hope he understand that Canadian love him no less. Please stay strong and come back, we miss you PChan, worlds without you is so sad.:cry:

Suzzie

Rinkside
I miss him so much. will be hard to follow any tournament without Patrick. maybe I'll take a break too.
I wanna believe that he'll be back more strong. the only thing I can do is to wait. I hope he really wants to continue skating

thank you.

emdee

Final Flight
I really miss him at worlds. There is no one who equals him.
I do like Han Yan but he has a way to go.