Patrick Chan | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Happy to hear that Patrick is not absolutely ruling out competing, and that if he competes, it is likely to be in Boston Worlds 2016. Now I have to be patient.

Emdee, please report back here regarding the CSOI. I would like to hear about the other skaters too. I love the boys number. So much fun and colour.

Some CSOI vids.
Best of Me by Michael Buble
Bits and pieces of the group number, The Walker.
Vid one
Vid Two
Vid Three

FS.Addict

Rinkside
Well, this is for those of you who want to know if he will retire or not :)

Patrick Chan Interview on TVA Sports (in French)

At the beginning he talks about Stars on Ice who took place yesterday at the Bell Center. He says that there is no pressure and that they can enjoy the show, but that it resquests a lot of preparation for the group numbers, but it's fun because they can try different styles. To sum up, he talks about how it's a different experience.e

She then asks him his impression about his 2013-2014 season. He says he would have wanted to win gold in Sochi but that it wasn't his day and he made mistakes. This said, he's happy to go back home with two silver medals.

The final question is about his future. He says that before Sochi, he didn't want to keep competing next year, but after he got back home, he changed his idea. He'd like to compete again and MAYBE go to Korea in 2018 if he's healthy. He says it's a possibility and that he's really thinking of it.

Yayyyy :)
Looks like we'll see him competing again !

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
The three things I love most about this interview:

- He says that the Olympics is about more than competition and medals; it's about what you do when your competition is over (soaking in the whole atmosphere by cheering on other athletes).

- He says that if he does come back he wants to be in a different mental state and want to skate and want to compete, so he needs to re-find his motivation first.

- He describes CSOI as "a great way to re-find that love of skating." :love:

Well, this is for those of you who want to know if he will retire or not :)

Patrick Chan Interview on TVA Sports (in French)

At the beginning he talks about Stars on Ice who took place yesterday at the Bell Center. He says that there is no pressure and that they can enjoy the show, but that it resquests a lot of preparation for the group numbers, but it's fun because they can try different styles. To sum up, he talks about how it's a different experience.e

She then asks him his impression about his 2013-2014 season. He says he would have wanted to win gold in Sochi but that it wasn't his day and he made mistakes. This said, he's happy to go back home with two silver medals.

The final question is about his future. He says that before Sochi, he didn't want to keep competing next year, but after he got back home, he changed his idea. He'd like to compete again and MAYBE go to Korea in 2018 if he's healthy. He says it's a possibility and that he's really thinking of it.

Yayyyy :)
Looks like we'll see him competing again !
Thank you for the translation and for this happy post!!! :)

Some CSOI vids.
Best of Me by Michael Buble
Bits and pieces of the group number, The Walker.
Vid one
Vid Two
Vid Three
Thanks for the vids Spiky!!! The Michael Buble Ex is PERFECT for the way Patrick skates - so smooth and relaxing. It must feel great for all the skaters to skate without pressure just for the fun of it. I too am excited for emdee's thoughts about CSOI.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Love Patrick's Exhibition! He looks fabulous and as always his skating skills are
first class! Thank you for posting the video!

Meoima

Match Penalty
"And the feedback from Japan? Chan received so many gifts, that he had to buy an extra suitcase to bring them back. “It’s overwhelming,” he said. “It’s crazy. It’s a whole different culture.”"
keep reading:
http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/
Thank you so much. It seem PChan was very happy in Japan. This part crack me the most :laugh:

The gifts would depend on the sorts of interviews or social media information he did in Japan, he said. One day, U.S. ice dancer Alex Shibutani sent out an instagram photo of Chan with holes in his socks. So Chan began to get socks as gifts: piles and piles and piles of socks. “Actually I use a lot of them,” he said. Fortunately, some of them worked well as skating socks, something that Chan is very picky about. He also received clothes, stylish shirts, dress shirts, ties.

m0001

On the Ice
Article: Chan's figure skating future remains unclear:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...hi-disappointment/article19143936/?cmpid=rss1

here's a comment by a reader:
Patrick Chan has brought international skating to a higher level since he first appeared. The amount of pressure to perform a highly technical sport flawlessly is beyond reason. These athletes already put tremendous pressure on themselves to perform and then the media more or less demands a gold medal. Chan won a Silver medal and yet is disappointed. Seems wrong somehow. This is the guy who is responsible for the high level of skating we are currently privileged to view. He, along with our pairs skaters, have been leading the pack for years."

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was having Patrick withdrawls, so I watched a few vids from 2014 CSOI and checked for recently-uploaded interviews on YouTube. I found 2 videos I want to share here.

Best of Me, CSOI 2014 Toronto - This Ex makes me cry because it reminds me how much I love his pure way of skating.

CBC News Interview, posted May 17, 2014 - I love this whole interview, but especially the part where Patrick says, "When I don't worry about stumbling, I don't stumble." He says he has discovered this by doing SOI. I feel like Patrick put so much pressure on himself when he competed before that it worked against him. It seems as though he is finally realizing this himself. If he comes back to competition just skating for himself and not worrying about placement or expectations, who knows how well he might skate. By his own admission, Patrick is a perfectionist, so letting go of expectations (those of others and his own) is certainly much easier said than done. Whether he can keep up with the other men in TES or PCS is another question altogether, but I (selfishly) hope his last competitive memories are better than Sochi. But if Patrick wouldn't be happy competing, he should move on to other endeavors. His happiness is the most important thing. It is his life, after all. I'm just so thrilled that I'm along for the ride! :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Article: Chan's figure skating future remains unclear:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...hi-disappointment/article19143936/?cmpid=rss1

here's a comment by a reader:
Patrick Chan has brought international skating to a higher level since he first appeared. The amount of pressure to perform a highly technical sport flawlessly is beyond reason. These athletes already put tremendous pressure on themselves to perform and then the media more or less demands a gold medal. Chan won a Silver medal and yet is disappointed. Seems wrong somehow. This is the guy who is responsible for the high level of skating we are currently privileged to view. He, along with our pairs skaters, have been leading the pack for years."
The comment from the reader is GREAT!!! :clap: The article, not so much. It's so negative. Patrick sounds really negative in most of it. A lot of the other stuff I've heard/read of late is the "I'm so happy to have the silver medal" angle, but this is the "I skated horribly" angle. It is true that he didn't skate well in the FS and we all know that, so I'm not denying it. But, really, why is that the FOCUS of the article? Heck, Patrick, even I as your fan haven't been able to bring myself to watch your Sochi FS again. It's still on my DVR and I'm thinking I'll watch it one more time on the one-year anniversary of you winning your individual silver medal and then delete it. It's just very hard to watch for me, and it's likely infinitely worse for you.

It fascinates me how journalists can write in such a way that the tone can make two stories with similar information so different from each other. Patrick probably said all that was quoted and I don't doubt that he meant it all. What bothered me, though, was that the way the article was written made those less positive comments the FOCUS of the story. It sort of gives the impression that Patrick hates figure skating now, which is absolutely not true. It starts with the negative headline: "Patrick Chan needed time to get over Sochi disappointment." Well, duh, who wouldn't? That only shows that he's a normal human being and not a machine!!! It's not "big news" at all. There are positive quotes at the end of the article; I simply wish they were not so far down and that the story didn't seem so negative overall. It's "lost the gold" vs "won the silver" all over again!!! :bang:

Sorry for the rant. I know Patrick is doing fine. The article just rubbed me the wrong way, that's all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've been thinking, - now stop your :rolleye:! - if and when Patrick comes back to competition after the GP season, will he use one or two of his old programs instead of starting a new choreography so late? What program would you like to see him skate again?

For me, definitely Aranjuez, my favorite. It was so wonderful even though he never did a technically perfect performance with it. I would love to see a flawless breathtaking rendition of this masterpiece.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been thinking, - now stop your :rolleye:! - if and when Patrick comes back to competition after the GP season, will he use one or two of his old programs instead of starting a new choreography so late? What program would you like to see him skate again?

For me, definitely Aranjuez, my favorite. It was so wonderful even though he never did a technically perfect performance with it. I would love to see a flawless breathtaking rendition of this masterpiece.
Well, anything Patrick has done has been amazing, but if I had to choose, I'd say the latest Four Seasons, just so he could have better parting memories of it. Then again, he had a magical moment with it at TEB, so maybe not. For another LP, I would say Aranjuez or Rachmaninoff. A perfect Aranjuez would leave me in tears and I've always wished that he had gotten more out of the Rachmanioff program. I wonder if it could be rechoreographed with his current jump layout; that would be very interesting. I doubt Patrick would want to go back that far though.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
How could I have forgotten that phenomenal performance? It is shameful that the much criticized Worlds gold medal skate got into my head so I always feel bad that a fluke fall on the easiest jump near the end of a wonderful performance created so much controversy. I am going to kick that out of my head and let this historic skate live there instead.

Still would love to see him repeat that Nationals performance at Worlds. Really, this performance and the TEB 2013 should put to death of any question about Patrick being the best skater ever. But of course the haters will keep on nitpicking his less than perfect performances to create the impression that he is unworthy of his WC titles, never mind that all others skate imperfectly without ever putting out supremely difficult yet flawless performance ever in their career.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
If Patrick does come back, what should he skate to for the SP? Assuming, as SF does, that he may reuse an old LP, there's still the question of the SP. As much as I love Elegie and consider it one of Patrick's signature programs, I don't think he should use it for a third straight season. Somebody mentioned elsewhere that he should use Steppin' Out as an SP since vocals will be allowed next season. He did really well with Take Five and it was a very fun program. I think a jazz piece would be great and show Patrick's fun, playful side. Is there anything in particular that you have wished Patrick would skate to that he hasn't skated to yet?