Patrick Chan | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

mskater93

Record Breaker
"Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title. :biggrin:

Chen isn't 13 yet. He will be in May....

jettasian

Match Penalty
Now, I understand why Oda screwed up some jumps sometimes. I'd be too with so many if this and that, you can do this but not that, or this and this but not that and that...geezewizz... the thing is, you can't think too much or else you will lose concentration, and if you don't think hard enough, you will be Oda-ed.

And the haters still call Patrick ISU's dear son.

You are too kind. It's ISU's pet, not son :)

jettasian

Match Penalty
that's what I was thinking as well... I'm seeing him being the Canadian version of Michelle Kwan - or I guess another Elvis Stojko - he's still so stinkin' young he could keep going for quite a while.

Gosh, with all these Chan = Kwan talks is kind of iffy for me, cause Kwan tried 3 Olympics and still couldn't win gold, let's nope Chan won't be like Kwan.

After Sochi, if Patrick is still dominating the skating field with weak competitors, I can see him continue. He will only be just turning 23! That's younger than many top skaters today. If he wants to be a Tiger Wood or Roger Federer, I can see him staying.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Gosh, with all these Chan = Kwan talks is kind of iffy for me, cause Kwan tried 3 Olympics and still couldn't win gold, let's nope Chan won't be like Kwan.

After Sochi, if Patrick is still dominating the skating field with weak competitors, I can see him continue. He will only be just turning 23! That's younger than many top skaters today. If he wants to be a Tiger Wood or Roger Federer, I can see him staying.

He will stay if he gets Kwan's kinda money.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Then maybe he should do that to get more score.

Yeah, the 4+3 opening is really for show off, besides wanting to get in the hardest jumps first and out of the way. A 4+2 and then a 3T tacked on a late jump will actually get a little more points. However, Patrick has had different contingencies planned ahead of time and is clear headed enough to implement necessary changes so as not to leave out points. That's why I wondered why Oda's team didn't have him better prepared for the highly likely scenario of turning the opening 4T into a 3T so that he wouldn't have lost a whole 3A combo and a medal in the opening seconds of his LP. Maybe it really was him unable to think in his skates, not unusual at all but it should have been overcome by a seasoned elite skater like Oda after multiple similar costly infractions.

The ideal in-the-zone performance should not have such distraction and any necessity of clear thinking at all. It should flow without thinking. I'm holding out for one from Patrick at Worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

But he also wants to get his university education and start an actual money earning career. Or even try another sport. He likes challenges. As well, he and his parents expect him to be able to excel at something else too. However, I think he would stay influencing the sport of figure skating and mentoring in some way as he has expressed such wish and desire.

spikydurian

Medalist
One can only imagine that. Patrick will retire after Sochi. They will never compete with each other.
:agree: Chan will retire after Sochi. He has other plans judging from his comments. He says he may take up gambling ;) didn't you read it in one of the write-ups? :biggrin: And it is likely to be Nyuen against Chen against ???? I''s a long time off and you never know who will be the future skating prodigies. Don't write off those young ones who may not be shining as brightly as Chen and Nyuen now.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He will stay if he gets Kwan's kinda money.

Very true! The longer he stays in, the longer his family's hardship endures. If Patrick won 2014 Olympics, I'm not sure if he wants to continue doing this. He has strong sense of appreciation for his parents' sacrifices and love for him.

Yeah, the 4+3 opening is really for show off, besides wanting to get in the hardest jumps first and out of the way. A 4+2 and then a 3T tacked on a late jump will actually get a little more points. However, Patrick has had different contingencies planned ahead of time and is clear headed enough to implement necessary changes so as not to leave out points. That's why I wondered why Oda's team didn't have him better prepared for the highly likely scenario of turning the opening 4T into a 3T so that he wouldn't have lost a whole 3A combo and a medal in the opening seconds of his LP. Maybe it really was him unable to think in his skates, not unusual at all but it should have been overcome by a seasoned elite skater like Oda after multiple similar costly infractions.

The ideal in-the-zone performance should not have such distraction and any necessity of clear thinking at all. It should flow without thinking. I'm holding out for one from Patrick at Worlds.

For most skaters I think the motto "plan your skate, skate your plan" is best. Once you start ad-libbing I can easily see how you might end up doing an Oda.

Patrick's idea of planning and practicing a contingency plan in case he misses the 4T+3T is very sound, I think.

Michelle Kwan typically practiced two endings for her programs, depending on whether she hit her triple-toe / tripe toe or not.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
For most skaters I think the motto "plan your skate, skate your plan" is best. Once you start ad-libbing I can easily see how you might end up doing an Oda.

Patrick's idea of planning and practicing a contingency plan in case he misses the 4T+3T is very sound, I think.

Michelle Kwan typically practiced two endings for her programs, depending on whether she hit her triple-toe / tripe toe or not.

Of course, Patrick has done an Oda before (2008 Worlds, 2010 CoR). But Chan also seems to have a lot more variable programs - Last season, I don't think he had the same jump layout at any two events.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm sure Chan's parents value education highly. I think Chan will go to university and get some degree after Sochi. Skating won't be everything in his life any more.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If Patrick could train in Canada, he could afford to go to University now as originally intended. However, since he found his ideal training situation in Colorado, he finds himself unable to pay for both the training and the American tuition. In fact, he needs to do shows in the summer, or else, I imagine, maybe some combination classroom and online lessons may be arranged with a Canadian University. Right now he is being tutored in preparation, focusing on Mandarin Chinese. I don't think he wants to postpone his higher education for too long.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I agree. But I aslo think he will still do some shows after retirement, otherwsie it's going to be a waste for his talent and a huge loss for his fans.

I agree. But I aslo think he will still do some shows after retirement, otherwsie it's going to be a waste for his talent and a huge loss for his fans.

I agree. I hope he's able to keep on skating, but I also hope that once Sochi is past him, he'll go to university. I'm always thrilled to hear that a skater is continuing his/her education to as high a level as possible.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It's smart to have alternate plans, and Patrick has said he is able to tack a 3T on pretty much any of the jumps near the end of his program. Practicing the plans, OTOH, is unwise as it would impress the possibility into the mind, increasing the likelihood of such happening and the necessity.

Boeing787

On the Ice
It's smart to have alternate plans, and Patrick has said he is able to tack a 3T on pretty much any of the jumps near the end of his program. Practicing the plans, OTOH, is unwise as it would impress the possibility into the mind, increasing the likelihood of such happening and the necessity.

I notice that Patrick can add a 2T or 3T to the 3F or 3Lz or 2A in Aranjuez. However, from choreography's point of view, I'd rather see him add it to the 3F. Because I really like the moves/steps after the 3Lz and 2A and don't want it be replaced by a jump.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree. I also thought doing a combo after that toe tapping was really ambitious.

I should clarify that I meant not to practice the alternate scenario on purpose. It's important to keep the correct mindset and muscle memory but if he misses the quad combo in practice then it's a perfect time to practice the contingency plan. I'm sure Oda must have turned the 4T into 3T in practice before so I wonder why he didn't learn to do a proper combo after, as he seemed to become aware of his mistake long after he had finished skating and was sitting at the K&C.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Very true! The longer he stays in, the longer his family's hardship endures. If Patrick won 2014 Olympics, I'm not sure if he wants to continue doing this. He has strong sense of appreciation for his parents' sacrifices and love for him.

Yes, but IF he were to win GOLD in Sochi he'd be the first (?) Canadian Mens Skater to do so. He'd have found a way to surpass Browning, Orser and Stojko... who he obviously desires to have a similar bankroll to what they had. That little deal would be incredibly bankable.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Yes, but IF he were to win GOLD in Sochi he'd be the first (?) Canadian Mens Skater to do so. He'd have found a way to surpass Browning, Orser and Stojko... who he obviously desires to have a similar bankroll to what they had. That little deal would be incredibly bankable.

The question mark can be removed.