Patrick Chan | Page 148 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
OH MY GOSH!!!!! As wonderful as the fancams are (and I'm so grateful to the fans who were willing and able to take them), they DO NOT do Best of Me justice. There are so many lovely little moments in the program that I noticed in this video that were impossible to see on the fancams.

-the extending of the arms at the very beginning, like an invitation from Patrick to enjoy the program
-the pure edges and crossovers before the lyrics start
-the turn on one knee after the 3T
-the death drop on the crescendo of the music
-the drop to one knee before turning around for the 3Lz
-the combo spin with simple, clean positions and so much speed -- it was wonderful to see a good old fashioned scratch spin from Patrick
-all the steps, hops, and turns that I can't even name (maybe they don't have names) that link it all together
-For me, Patrick doesn't telegraph anything, not even the 2A, because I'm so engrossed in everything he's doing on the ice
-Not to mention the smile of contentment before the music starts

"Sublime" is the word I chose specifically to describe Patrick's skating in a post here and these days it seems to be the word when it comes to his skating. It has often been said that Patrick makes the most difficult look easy. Now, he makes the most difficult look easy and elegant. Every movement from him is so elegant now. His perfect posture has been cited lately by quite a few on this board, including non-fans. No matter what others say, I'm glad he invested in taking dance lessons seriously in his quest for greater artistry. It is a success. No other male figure skaters exude such easy elegance, with the exception of John Curry who never had to perform anything near the level of difficulty of Patrick's programs.

I can't wait for him to return to competition ice. He will show who the true master is.
AMEN!!!!!! :agree::biggrin:

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice

m0001

On the Ice
don't forget to vote!

Sharing Dance - The Play Exchange
On January 9, 2015, 7:00pm, CBC is holding a national challenge called The Play Exchange. Six different groups of Canadians have six cool ideas to help get our country active and healthy. The groups are competing for up to one millions dollars, and your votes decide the winner. In this clip, Patrick Chan explains the idea he's backing - Sharing Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv12mO1IrJk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.changemakers.com/playexchange/[/QUOTE]

deedee1

Record Breaker
I've just read in a skating fan's blog that Patrick said that he will stay competitive and aim for 2018 Oly Games! :love: What a great news indeed to know if it's true (and an apology if it's the news that everyone here already knows but me...:eek::). Anyway I'm doing my happy dance! :dance:

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's good for figure skating field. We need someone with PChiddy's level of skating skill come back.
And frankly I'd rather see PChiddy as Canadian no 1 than Nam.

m0001

On the Ice
You can vote till tomorrow:

Sharing Dance - The Play Exchange
On January 9, 2015, 7:00pm, CBC is holding a national challenge called The Play Exchange. Six different groups of Canadians have six cool ideas to help get our country active and healthy. The groups are competing for up to one millions dollars, and your votes decide the winner. In this clip, Patrick Chan explains the idea he's backing - Sharing Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv12mO1IrJk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.changemakers.com/playexchange/

yuzulia14

Rinkside
It's good for figure skating field. We need someone with PChiddy's level of skating skill come back.
And frankly I'd rather see PChiddy as Canadian no 1 than Nam.

I agree with you Meoima! I have never appreciated fully PChiddy's level of skating until I watched his Japan Open last year and I was like :points:, god why am I a late bloomer? Hehe.
I kind of like Nam's musicality, however he seems slow across the ice and I confirmed that when I watched Shoma's FS in JGP, hehe (Shoma's way faster due to better edges)
Excited to see PChiddy back this year hopefully, I hope he'll use that program he skated in Carnival on Ice last year as his SP and retain Chopin Medley as his LP. :thumbsup:

Meoima

Match Penalty
:) I think Patrick still has lots to show the FS worlds that he is capable of. That level of skating skill is second to none.

chumelon

Rinkside
Hey guys :) just wanted to share the translation to Patrick's Sochi fs with French-Canadian commentators! Please do tell me if you see any mistakes and feel free to add corrections and what-not :thumbsup: (the commentators were mumbling most of the time....) http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/150919

Here we go for Patrick Chan.
[0:22]Preparation…carefull…. 4T yes! Followed by the 3T! It’s been successfully attempted! Excellent! Marvellous!
[0:41]He’s skating to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
Vivaldi the “Red Priest” because he was a redhead.
[0:50]Careful, second quad. Whoa!
By putting down his hands, he makes it.
[0:59]And now… the element he needs to hold, come on! Come on! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! No! Missed!
Oh!
[1:12]Missed the 3A…
The door was wide open, has it been closed again? Let’s see
[1:25] ((unclear))
[1:29]Come on! Come one, come on!
[1:35] ((unclear; something about his “young legs”??? what))
[1:42]It’s okay, he’s got to the part where he excels
The steps
[1:53] Jump spin, and then the seated position. Excellent rotations.
[2:14] He downright reaches it, sublimity.
[2:19]When he moves like that, we see something like a bird on the ice (??)
[2:25] 3lz yes! Half loop 3S, no 2S.
[2:37] Preparation, lz! Yes! Yes yes yes yes! Come on! Come on!
[2:47] Show them just how extraordinary you are, show them how you’re the best
[2:53]3lo
Yes!
He got it.
[3:02]Movements, in time with the music
The skating is free from all constraints
[3:10]He is at his best when he moves,
Careful, 3Fyes!-2T yes!
[3:24] The spin, spiral, on the back outside edge, but he skates it better than Yuzuru Hanyu. Better, the movements, the spins. All of these, he’s better.
[3:35]((??)), catch up.
[3:43]And he moves, he twirls, he turns around. He starts skating again.
[3:56] The 2A Oh! Mistake. Ah! Maybe a fatal one!
Maybe. Like an arrow to our hearts.
[4:15]A dramatic Olympic final
[4:25] The spiral spin, we are at the end of the program- the combination spin and the final spin that is crossfoot.
[4:42]Well , it will be difficult to judge, very difficult
[4:47] Oh it will be difficult, what a shame, I feel like that 2A at the end…
[4:55]Ah yes, it’s a whole you know? It’s every element that you need to look over and analyze. It’ll take a complete analysis of the program.
[5:07]The jury will have an enormous job. An enormous job.
[5:12]He needs 182.57 points to go in front of Hanyu.
Let’s not forget there’s still Liebers and Jason Brown.
And he had points behind [Hanyu] after the short program. [X2]
[5:25]But for the first place , it’s 182.57.
Oof. The door was wide open.
[5:35]We gave Hanyu 178 points
Yep
[5:42] We will wait, but there’s still more than 4 ((something; unclear))
Such hard tasks, we ask of them.
[5:54]So, the big errors, missed the 3A and the 2A
[6:02]So let’s see
This is the 4t from the start. It was extremely good
[6:11] The 3T that followed was perfect, and then the pressure went up because that was done well but there’s still the second quad to come and he will put his hands down.
[6:24]Right there. He held it, but he put his hands down
[6:30]Next, the 3A.
Right here….
[6:35]Yes, indeed, the rotation, the opening of the free leg, he almost had it. He reduced the exit.
[6:43]Next, the 3lz, the rotation, three turns, the exit, the half loop, and then a 2S instead of a 3S.
[6:58]Troublesome, because he could have added points
[7:07]So now…
Now…
Everything will fall on the components and the overall, the spins where he was superior compared to Hanyu.
[7:17]Yes absolutely.
[7:20]So 178, so he’s second.
So, without the effect of the gold medal-
[7:27]Congratulations.
Congratulations to Patrick Chan
So he’s right behind Yuzuru Hanyu, in front of Denis Ten.
[7:36]He gets 275.62 points in total. He that was, let us be reminded, 5th in Vancouver

---
Terrapin was nice enough to help out! Here are some corrections :)

Chan's FS in Sochi:

1 :25 : "une bataille terrible"
>>> It’s a terrible battle

1:35: "Ce que ces jeunes gens ont à subir est terrible"
>>> What these young people have to go through is so hard.

2:19 "Quand il bouge ainsi il vole comme un oiseau au-dessus de la glace"
>>> When he moves like that he looks like a bird flying on the ice.

3 :35 : "ça va se jouer à très peu"
>>> It’s going to be a close call

5 :42 : "va-t-on lui accorder 4 points ?"
>>> Are we going to grant him 4 points?

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
I just wanted to say that I look forward to his comeback, hopefully he will get two good choreographed programs to show :)

nguyhm

On the Ice
I wish he would get another coach - an additional one if he likes to keep the one he has - I don't think the one he has helps push him to his fullest potential. A technical coach would be a plus. I love Patrick and find in him the wow factor that I don't find in others at this time. Just wish he would polish that.

m0001

On the Ice
Below is part of an article in memory of Mr. Cranston in CTV:

But he had no shortage of opinions about the Canadian champions who followed him.
He called Elvis Stojko a "great competitor, one dimensional." He applauded Orser's combination of art and sport and liked the dramatic element Kurt Browning brought to the table.
And he marvelled at Patrick Chan.
"I'm on another planet watching Patrick Chan with binoculars and applauding along with the rest of the world," Cranston said from his Mexican hideaway in 2012.
"I don't think I could watch him skate live, I'd commit suicide out of depression at how good he is," Cranston added, erupting in loud laughter.
Chan met Cranston once when he was a young boy training at the Toronto Cricket Club with his late coach Osborne Colson.
"You could tell he was special," Chan said of Cranston. "He's a unique individual and he only said good things about me, and of course Mr. Colson raved about me to him.
"(Cranston) was always complimentary and optimistic about me, which was so nice."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canadi...r-cranston-dies-at-65-1.2204276#ixzz3Pr1Dyelm

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Great comments from Toller about Patrick and Patrick about Toller. What a sad day for Canadian figure skating (and world figure skating).

I saw a picture on Patrick's Twitter that he did something on TSN at Nationals. So, what exactly did he do? Analyze the men's event? Be interviewed? I would love to hear/read Patrick's analysis or comments or whatever. I didn't know he was going to attend Nationals at all this year, so that's a nice surprise.

Patrick is no longer the youngest man ever to win a Canadian Senior Men's title. I guess he has to watch out for Nam when he comes back next season. It should be a very compelling battle between them (maybe a little like Buttle/Chan in 2008).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have to admit I couldn't enjoy Nam winning Canadian title even though I know I should be happy for him. I just want PChiddy to be back to show his amazing blade control at Nationals again. Sigh... And what happened to Kevin as well, so sad... I hope next season it will be much better.

kresslia

Medalist
Great comments from Toller about Patrick and Patrick about Toller. What a sad day for Canadian figure skating (and world figure skating).

I saw a picture on Patrick's Twitter that he did something on TSN at Nationals. So, what exactly did he do? Analyze the men's event? Be interviewed? I would love to hear/read Patrick's analysis or comments or whatever. I didn't know he was going to attend Nationals at all this year, so that's a nice surprise.

Patrick is no longer the youngest man ever to win a Canadian Senior Men's title. I guess he has to watch out for Nam when he comes back next season. It should be a very compelling battle between them (maybe a little like Buttle/Chan in 2008).
He was interviewed for a few minutes. Most notably I remember him being asked what he plans to do. He said he wants 10 national titles (!) and will be back next season.

peg

Medalist

Patrick was never the youngest man to win a Canadian Senior mens title. And neither is Nam. That honor goes to Charles Snelling, back in 1954. He was younger than Nam by 2 or 3 months. Patrick was 17 when he first won Nationals