Patrick Chan | Page 164 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think he is indeed popular but perhaps some people are extremely biased negatively towards him and are very vocal about it... like with the whole inflation ordeal or the "he shouldn't have won the WC" or lately " he can't jump 3A and needs a real coach" this is the kind of banter that goes way too much around on forums.
He seems quite popular to me....:scratch: There are so many people looking forward to his return.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Why is Patrick so unpopular?
I think part of it is that he says what's on his mind in interviews and sometimes that doesn't come across well and can be interpreted in ways that Patrick didn't intend. Most of the haters I know of think Patrick is arrogant. And also, he's a very good skater and has won a lot of medals, so if people don't like his skating, they often say that he "doesn't deserve" the marks he gets, which leads to the whole "inflation" argument, which could also be applied to whichever top-tier skater(s) a person doesn't like. So, the short answer is, it's a combination of Patrick's awesomeness as a skater, his sometimes non-media savvy (and/or his being misquoted) interviews, and peoples' personal tastes. Like 4everchan said, this thread is the safety zone for fans of Patrick, and I absolutely love hanging out here! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think part of it is that he says what's on his mind in interviews and sometimes that doesn't come across well and can be interpreted in ways that Patrick didn't intend. Most of the haters I know of think Patrick is arrogant. And also, he's a very good skater and has won a lot of medals, so if people don't like his skating, they often say that he "doesn't deserve" the marks he gets, which leads to the whole "inflation" argument, which could also be applied to whichever top-tier skater(s) a person doesn't like. So, the short answer is, it's a combination of Patrick's awesomeness as a skater, his sometimes non-media savvy (and/or his being misquoted) interviews, and peoples' personal tastes. Like 4everchan said, this thread is the safety zone for fans of Patrick, and I absolutely love hanging out here! :)

best thread on the forum :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
best thread on the forum :)
Yep, very cool! :)

Now, who did a double take when they saw Patrick's picture today? Link

At first I thought I was seeing a wax statue being made... until I realized that it was him! But er... who took that picture?? (Obviously not a selfie, lol.)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so hot, yet so cold LOL
Yep, very cool! :)

Now, who did a double take when they saw Patrick's picture today? Link

At first I thought I was seeing a wax statue being made... until I realized that it was him! But er... who took that picture?? (Obviously not a selfie, lol.)

Khoai

Match Penalty
I admire Mr. Chan's skills a lot. He is the best at skating skill out there. But along with that I don't think he is a truly humble person, not all the quotes were misquoted. It is fine with me, because dominant and strong athlete always have some ego. I think some of his quotes are not very classy. But I give him a pass because in real life he is not a jerk. He is pretty funny actually. I still enjoy his skills nevertheless.

skaterr

On the Ice
Patrick is very popular in Korea among men skaters. I bet he will receive huge supports from korean audience. We love him very much.

m0001

On the Ice
I admire Mr. Chan's skills a lot. He is the best at skating skill out there. But along with that I don't think he is a truly humble person, not all the quotes were misquoted. It is fine with me, because dominant and strong athlete always have some ego. I think some of his quotes are not very classy. But I give him a pass because in real life he is not a jerk. He is pretty funny actually. I still enjoy his skills nevertheless.

You think he's not very classy, but I think he is the most honest athlete.

Khoai

Match Penalty
You think he's not very classy, but I think he is the most honest athlete.
I don't think Mr. Chan is always misquoted.
And per my remarks, I think some of his comments did not sound classy, that says nothing about Mr. Chan being a classy person or not. I have seen him live several years ago. He was wonderful. I respect his skills and his honesty. However, you can still be classy and honest at the same time.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
CBC just posted this: Patrick Chan's comeback 'the hardest decision'
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating
The best thing about this article is that there aren't any editorial comments on what Patrick says. It's just Patrick's words, his fully fleshed-out thoughts. People can still get what they choose out of the article, but it would seem harder to be angry with him when you get the full context of what he's saying. Patrick is an athlete who needs to be fully quoted to be understood. There was no journalistic spin here, and that's why I love it! Thanks m0001 for posting the link here! It's hard to believe SA is this weekend and SC is next weekend. I'm excited! :biggrin:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
totally agree... i hope people who make fun of me when I say he is mature and humble will watch this video...
realizing that figure skating is a tiny part of life, as when you fall down, you just gotta pick yourself up is HUGE! (I learned the same thing in my field... if I play a wrong note, nobody is going to die !) and of course, when he refers as himself as an underdog, that also showing how humble he is, how he is working hard to get some of the jumps back, how he is aware that other skaters haven't taken time off and are still fit from all the training they have kept while he was discovering life ;)

LOVE PATRICK :)
The best thing about this article is that there aren't any editorial comments on what Patrick says. It's just Patrick's words, his fully fleshed-out thoughts. People can still get what they choose out of the article, but it would seem harder to be angry with him when you get the full context of what's he's saying. Patrick is an athlete who needs to be fully quoted to be understood. There was no journalistic spin here, and that's why I love it! Thanks m0001 for posting the link here! It's hard to believe SA is this weekend and SC is next weekend. I'm excited! :biggrin:

m0001

On the Ice
I don't think Mr. Chan is always misquoted.
And per my remarks, I think some of his comments did not sound classy, that says nothing about Mr. Chan being a classy person or not. I have seen him live several years ago. He was wonderful. I respect his skills and his honesty. However, you can still be classy and honest at the same time.

To me, Patrick is classy and honest at the same time. Sometimes it also depends on how you interpret what he said. Some people want him to get some media training. If that happens, why should reporters even both to interview him?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
CBC just posted this: Patrick Chan's comeback 'the hardest decision'
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating

Thank you so much for posting this article. It's nice to get an update from the man himself!

Can I say this? I really appreciate Patrick's honesty, and he must trust PJ Kwong very much. But sometimes I think he's just a little too honest. I cringed a little reading about his doubts, and wondered if he shouldn't have discussed those with his coach, friends and family (and tried to work them out) in private instead of with the press? Then again, he had a hard time wanting to talk about his discouragement with Kathy Johnson, so...

I didn't know that he was seriously considering retiring after Sochi. In which case I probably would have missed his wonderful skating altogether, since I just recently found out about him. (I hadn't been keeping up with figure skating for several years.) Now I'm wondering how he can gracefully retire on a high note instead of withdrawing due to injury or discouragement.

My honest opinion is that he should think about transitioning to another career where he can get the same type of satisfaction that he got from competitive figure skating. E.g., how Debi Thomas and Michelle Kwan have gone on to other demanding careers. Heck, maybe he should just take up another sport like golf and win a few championships there! Somehow I just don't see him remaining in figure skating all his life, even though his record will always stand.

Anyway, I wish him the best no matter what he does, and to me, his health, happiness and sanity are more important than any medals he might win or lose in the future.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
viv, i see what you mean but i had another impression coming from watching the video… for me it felt like , yes, there were struggles, it was an up-hill battle but that in the end, he is now going through it with serenity from having been through other life experiences in his year off… it seems like the worst is behind and that he will gain back his shape ;)

Thank you so much for posting this article. It's nice to get an update from the man himself!

Can I say this? I really appreciate Patrick's honesty, and he must trust PJ Kwong very much. But sometimes I think he's just a little too honest. I cringed a little reading about his doubts, and wondered if he shouldn't have discussed those with his coach, friends and family (and tried to work them out) in private instead of with the press? Then again, he had a hard time wanting to talk about his discouragement with Kathy Johnson, so...

I didn't know that he was seriously considering retiring after Sochi. In which case I probably would have missed his wonderful skating altogether, since I just recently found out about him. (I hadn't been keeping up with figure skating for several years.) Now I'm wondering how he can gracefully retire on a high note instead of withdrawing due to injury or discouragement.

My honest opinion is that he should think about transitioning to another career where he can get the same type of satisfaction that he got from competitive figure skating. E.g., how Debi Thomas and Michelle Kwan have gone on to other demanding careers. Heck, maybe he should just take up another sport like golf and win a few championships there! Somehow I just don't see him remaining in figure skating all his life, even though his record will always stand.

Anyway, I wish him the best no matter what he does, and to me, his health, happiness and sanity are more important than any medals he might win or lose in the future.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States

Interesting perspective, vivley. Thanks for sharing. I read the article differently than you did. I've bolded parts of your post to briefly comment on.

First bolded part: How I read the article is that Patrick has already worked through those issues with family, friends, etc in private and is now simply sharing how he came out of it successfully. So, I don't think anything he said in this article would be a "surprise" to any of those people in his close circle. There's always a question for public figures of how much to say to the press and Patrick usually says more than less. His learning curve with the press has included some painful lessons (e.g. 2011 GPF).

Second bolded part: Check out this interview, where Patrick literally says, "I think for once I can compete and not care about the results, 'cause I'm really happy with what I've achieved so far, so now it's just about achieving personal goals, and if I don't like it in a year, then I have other projects lined up." My point is, I don't think Patrick sees himself doing competitive figure skating all his life. He has his ice wine and the Drummond Skating Club that will be opening next year, for example. I doubt Patrick will let himself get into a "Plushenko situation," shall we say. I don't know if you knew this, but Patrick also considered retiring right after the Vancouver Olympics, even though he had not won any World titles or Olympic medals yet. He has always had other interests outside of skating. He seems like a fun and joyful person off the ice.

Third bolded part: ME TOO!!! :agree::)