Patrick Chan | Page 172 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes, what nice gifts to come home to! Thank you, skatingfan4ever.

eta: To answer your question about TV rights, CBC has the rights to international skating events while CTV gets SC and the Nationals.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you for your excellent posts, skatingfan4ever. After reading them, I wanted to share two thoughts that occurred to me:

1) I've watched a fair number of Patrick's performances on video, but I don't think I ever saw him quite so humbled, touched, and grateful as he was at the end of his wonderful FS. He said heartfelt "thank yous" 5-6 times. I believe we will see his emotional connection with his audience continue to grow stronger.

2) I think Patrick will cherish that SCI gold medal well because he won it after a hard fought battle with himself. The medal represents his triumph over his own fears, and I believe it will be very meaningful to him always. Whenever he needs a boost of confidence, he just needs to look at that medal and remember the sublime performance he skated last week!

Now I can't wait to see him skate next weekend! Here is the time and practice schedule. And here is his ISU results biography. I didn't know they included social media contacts on there, too!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you vivley for bringing up TEB. I thought the next GP would be NHK and I'd again miss sleep. So we'll be seeing and cheering Patrick again so soon.

Can't wait to see the difference two weeks will make and to see if Patrick will be calm and at peace, having really gotten over those demons once and for all. This year's Men's event is getting very interesting, by which I mean intensely competitive. Wonder how much his programs, especially the LP, will evolve over the season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my intuition: he will skate a brilliant SP but somehow won't match the SC LP quality.... but i just cannot wait to see him.
Thank you vivley for bringing up TEB. I thought the next GP would be NHK and I'd again miss sleep. So we'll be seeing and cheering Patrick again so soon.

Can't wait to see the difference two weeks will make and to see if Patrick will be calm and at peace, having really gotten over those demons once and for all. This year's Men's event is getting very interesting, by which I mean intensely competitive. Wonder how much his programs, especially the LP, will evolve over the season.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks, Violet Bliss and 4everchan (just noticed your location, lol!)

Here's Icenetwork's TEB streaming schedule (at the top they have a photo of Patrick):

http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2015/11/2015_trophee_bompard

Javier Fernandez just won Cup of China by a score of 270.55. But Patrick still tops him with a score of 271.14! Scroll down to the bottom of this article to see the season's men's standings so far:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/11/07/mao-asada-javier-fernandez-win-cup-of-china/

For TEB, Patrick will be up against Murakami, Uno, Ten, Kovtun, and Aaron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Trophée_Éric_Bompard#Entries

Go Patrick!

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
Does Patrick plan to add anther Quad jump in his ammunition?

It seems both Hanyu and Javi perfected their Quad Sal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Does Patrick plan to add anther Quad jump in his ammunition?

The second quad should be there if things go right, which I think they will.

It seems both Hanyu and Javi perfected their Quad Sal.

Really? They are good, but consistently perfect?

my intuition: he will skate a brilliant SP but somehow won't match the SC LP quality.... but i just cannot wait to see him.

Without that excited puppy mode of returning for the first performance, his SP will surely be more normal, which is usually excellent and will get him into the lead at TEB.

As for the LP, a brilliant skate is highly likely because not only will there not be the emotional turmoil and pressure like at SC, TEB is where he has always done well, including peak performances. He can easily invoke exhilarating experiences and "go out there to do what feels good" now that he seems to have acquired new mental skills for performing at competition.

At SC Patrick's LP had the quality of his peak performances with a lower tech level. The BV should be higher at TEB and if he can "skate for himself" again, it just may be another awesome showing. In any case, I don't expect really sub par disappointing programs from him at TEB.

GPF is where I hope to see brilliance, another shock and awe. Then greater awe for the Nationals and Worlds because by then it wouldn't be shocking any more. :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Okay, can I call you TPFKASF (The Poster Formerly Known as SkateFiguring), then? :)

Call me Vio, call me Let
Call me TPFKASF if you can't forget
Bliss is apt and cooler yet
But you can safely and surely bet
I don't like to get upset
So know that I will never ever let
Anybody call me Collette :roll5:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The second quad should be there if things go right, which I think they will.

Really? They are good, but consistently perfect?

Without that excited puppy mode of returning for the first performance, his SP will surely be more normal, which is usually excellent and will get him into the lead at TEB.

As for the LP, a brilliant skate is highly likely because not only will there not be the emotional turmoil and pressure like at SC, TEB is where he has always done well, including peak performances. He can easily invoke exhilarating experiences and "go out there to do what feels good" now that he seems to have acquired new mental skills for performing at competition.

At SC Patrick's LP had the quality of his peak performances with a lower tech level. The BV should be higher at TEB and if he can "skate for himself" again, it just may be another awesome showing. In any case, I don't expect really sub par disappointing programs from him at TEB.

GPF is where I hope to see brilliance, another shock and awe. Then greater awe for the Nationals and Worlds because by then it wouldn't be shocking any more. :)
VB : (you are actually now the opposite of BV)
regarding the second 4t… yup it should be there, i agree… i think people are wondering about a 4s for him… that's why i said no ;)

and for the SP, I agree.. he will be more confident in it and have less jitters… and he usually does great SPs…

i hope you are correct with the LP

acquiring "the zone" at least for me in my field, is hit and miss…. and with they years, the hit button gets pushed more often than the missed one ;) so I wouldn't say that Chan got there and will always manage to get there… I hadn't seen him like that before (not that he didn't skate well before but he had this special it factor at SC)… so hopefully, he knows how to get back there and is more successful than others at reproducing the factors…. I think that he was so stressed out that it may have been a survival mode…. but we will see… I just look forward to seeing him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:laugh2:
Call me Vio, call me Let

what's wrong with collette ? ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
VB : (you are actually now the opposite of BV)
regarding the second 4t… yup it should be there, i agree… i think people are wondering about a 4s for him… that's why i said no ;)

and for the SP, I agree.. he will be more confident in it and have less jitters… and he usually does great SPs…

i hope you are correct with the LP

acquiring "the zone" at least for me in my field, is hit and miss…. and with they years, the hit button gets pushed more often than the missed one ;) so I wouldn't say that Chan got there and will always manage to get there… I hadn't seen him like that before (not that he didn't skate well before but he had this special it factor at SC)… so hopefully, he knows how to get back there and is more successful than others at reproducing the factors…. I think that he was so stressed out that it may have been a survival mode…. but we will see… I just look forward to seeing him.

Actually people get into the zone quite often, when they are fully immersed in what they love or must pay full attention to, e.g. playing or listening to music, especially in quite peaceful environment and alone, with no distractions. At the other extreme, it also happens when a crisis causes a surrender because the mind exhausted all possibilities. That's when you have to "let go and let God." But it's extremely difficult to do it at will under pressure, especially in front of many people. In sport, it may be easier when there is an opponent and an object to focus on. Athletes sometimes get into the zone accidentally and they have a hard time replicating it. They may think it is due to the situation or their actions, but it is their mind and a mental skill they can practice, like meditation. Some people practice mindfulness every day, paying full attention to whatever they're doing, be it eating or washing dishes, without thinking, just fully sensing and feeling.

I reckon high level figure skating competition is one of the toughest mental challenges there is. It really is hard to clear your mind when you are all alone on a large surface, watched by thousands plus even more remote audiences, and all your life's sacrifices and training are being judged and evaluated by less than 5 minutes of high risk performance with no chance for retake for any of the moments. In this case, using your hearing to focus, i.e. on the music, is a way to help clear out mind junk.

I have a feeling Patrick may have finally gotten the idea, that it is a skill you can practice and apply, even if not perfectly. Experiences, trial and error, plus insights, he has had a few of them. it was an epiphany that got his quad easy and consistent, and an advice and tip from Boitano that got him to do the quad and the program well in competition. As well, he is always learning from every competition experience, hits and misses, and from other successful athletes.

More than training, practices, and conditioning, there are also intangible and innate reasons why he is a great one in his sport.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Call me Vio, call me Let

LOL!

Forgive me for being remiss