Patrick Chan | Page 178 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

MIM

Medalist
Thank you for the links to the interviews, @Meomia and @m0001.

"...There’s definitely days when my warm-up is ….I feel off, like I feel jet lagged, but I know if I give myself two or three sessions I can always by the end of the day get a good quality program. That is, I think, where experience comes in..."

:thumbsup:

“Do you have any plans to upgrade the technical content in your programs to challenge Yuzu?”

Patrick’s answer was very interesting and very fair, I thought. I will paraphrase a bit in case I didn’t write down his “exact” quote word for word. Patrick said that he wants to see what kind of marks both he and Javier (Fernandez) would receive if they both skated the programs of their lives, like Yuzu did. That was how Patrick said would be the only fair way to compare the programs and then know what he needed to do.

I am impressed how collective and calm his responses are. I am so excited for the GPF just because the top men are going to skate the programs of their lives like Yuzu did. Yuzu motivated everyone!!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think Yuzu's high scores will fire Patrick and Javi up...and even elevate the whole male figure skating world. Patrick is just as competitive as Yuzu so I expect a good fight at GPF. Go everyone!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the new articles and for Patrick's generosity in sharing his thoughts. I too have many thoughts but am considerate about y'all getting eye strain from all the :rolleye: So just one thought:

It's different when all three are in one place," said Chan. "It changes the energy, it changes the vibe, it changes the dynamic between everyone on the ice, and who knows, maybe even the dynamic between the judges and how they feel seeing all three of us on one surface ... skating visually changes, and feels different depending on the energy and who else is on the ice, and who you have to compare to directly."

Now, who can compare to Patrick's skating edge shown in the accompanying picture in the article.? Such deep and sure flowing edge on landing a jump. :bow: Love the facial and body expressions!

Another thought - hey, one :rolleye: wouldn't kill anybody - all panics are caused internally by one's thoughts rather than any external event. It's one's choice of perception and reaction to any external event that causes the feelings, positive or negative. Patrick seems to have that inner demon :devil: ousted or at least under control. Bravo! :2thumbs:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, wow, thanks everyone for bringing the articles and sharing your thoughts. Patrick is Patrick, take him or leave him. He has a unique way of speaking about the life of a competitive skater as he experiences it. It's easy to tell it's a Patrick interview because of the tone and the way he says things. I thought it was adorable in the IFS article that he was asked how he maintained his jumps while away from competition and in the middle of his long-winded answer he said, "I forgot the question…Oh my jumps!" Typical rambling Patrick! :laugh: Love him for it.

He says that he has gotten over the bitterness of Yuzu beating him. I really hope that he will still feel that way no matter where he places at the GPF and at any future competitions. It will be wonderful if he can maintain this calm attitude no matter what happens results-wise. He knows who he is as a skater and it sounds like he is competing now to fulfill personal goals, but I am very curious about what he will be saying after the GPF. Patrick, remember what you said at the post-LP Press Conference at SC and repeat it over and over to yourself: "At the end of the day, figure skating is not a boxing match. You’re out there skating on your own, and you put out what you can do best, and we see how it unfolds."

The programs that I enjoy rewatching the most are not always from the winners. Placement does not dictate my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a program. Often my favorite programs are also winning programs, but the longer I've been a figure skating fan, the more I've realized that I don't enjoy any program just because the skater won. Rather, I like programs as programs and skaters as skaters. I did a lot of reflection about this after Sochi and again after NHK with all these jumping feats going on.

One other observation/question: I know this isn't a Yuzu thread, but I wasn't blown away by Yuzu's NHK LP as a program. Technically, it was breathtaking, but there was something missing artistically, IMO. I liked his LP a lot better at SC for some reason. Am I crazy? Did any of you notice any differences between the two? To me, the NHK program seemed empty other than the jumps. Johnny and Tara didn't agree with me though. Yuzu's SP at NHK was simply divine, however. :love:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
anyone know where I can find video of this program?
I know it's "Stars on ice in Canada" but I find nothing

https://pp.vk.me/c622725/v622725046/2c761/Yvw3XMPz0DM.jpg

Hey if you're still interested in watching, the Stars On Ice Anniversary Show will be airing on CBC tonight and again on the 27th, it's only an hour so I'm not sure if A Super Tramp's Tale will be shown in it's entirety

Link Here: http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/stars_on_ice_hd_/?t=1449167495442

sonora

On the Ice
One other observation/question: I know this isn't a Yuzu thread, but I wasn't blown away by Yuzu's NHK LP as a program. Technically, it was breathtaking, but there was something missing artistically, IMO. I liked his LP a lot better at SC for some reason. Am I crazy? Did any of you notice any differences between the two? To me, the NHK program seemed empty other than the jumps. Johnny and Tara didn't agree with me though. Yuzu's SP at NHK was simply divine, however. :love:

This season my favorite men's SP is Yuzu's while the LP is Patrick's. :love:
I don't feel Yuzu's LP is empty...on the contrary I feel it is very rich culturally and he interprets it well at NHK. However I just love, love, love Patrick's LP.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Ah, I love the flowing thoughts and insights from everyone!

VB - Almost no one can compare on those edges. Patrick is one of the few skaters where, when I watch him I can hear the sound of his blades going over the ice, sometimes louder than his music! I recently watched another video of him skating where the commentators discussed this very thing and said it meant he was not afraid of the ice. I just hope actual skating skills count just as much as the jumps when judges score performances.

SF4ever - Yes, it would be good if he can maintain that calm attitude - or, I would call it an attitude of good sportsmanship. I think he showed good sportsmanship after his win at SC and again when responding to Hanyu's record-breaking win. I did feel for him in that Hanyu broke both of his world records - something he didn't really address in his conference call. I hope Patrick doesn't get discouraged by that.

Going back to the IFS Mag article, this quote put a smile on my face:

Was there a moment at Skate Canada when it hit you that you were back competing?

I think when I took my ending position in the long program. I think there was definitely a moment where I felt like “I’m back!” in a different way. Sitting in the kiss and cry, receiving my marks — that whole moment was definitely different in a good way. I was genuinely happy with how I skated and genuinely happy with the marks. I was myself at that point. I wasn’t trying to be something I’m not and putting up an image because of the people around.

After that event, I was like: “OK, I made the right decision. I feel good. I feel happy. I’m in the right place. I’m not that skater who tried to make a comeback and had a horrible time trying to.”

I hope no matter what, Patrick can always be his best genuine self when he performs in competition.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's an article with a humorous line in it:

Patrick Chan chasing Yuzuru Hanyu at Grand Prix Final skating event

"Chan will hook up with Hanyu at the Grand Prix Final next week in Barcelona, Spain..."

Skatingfan4ever, I think this quote answers some of your question:

Chan will regard the Grand Prix Final as a practice event – learning how to approach tough competitions mentally, his greatest challenge – but his focus will be on the national championships in Halifax and the world championships in March in Boston.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
This season my favorite men's SP is Yuzu's while the LP is Patrick's. :love:
I don't feel Yuzu's LP is empty...on the contrary I feel it is very rich culturally and he interprets it well at NHK. However I just love, love, love Patrick's LP.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Mainly I'm just surprised that I enjoyed Yuzu's LP more at SC and it wasn't a clean program, while at NHK it was a clean program but I didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe that has more to do with me than with Yuzu, but...:slink: This is my favorite Yuzu LP since R&J 1. The costume is amazing too! :yes:

Sorry for going OT.