Page 18 of 192 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan

Custom Title
    "Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title. Imagine Chan vs. Chen in the same competition one day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    "Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title. Imagine Chan vs. Chen in the same competition one day.
    One can only imagine that. Patrick will retire after Sochi. They will never compete with each other.

Custom Title
    It will be Chen vs Nguyen vs Jin, and whoever new phenom may be.

Custom Title
    Why are we so sure that Patrick will retire after Sochi? He might return for another Olympics as Plueshenko did and is doing.

Why are we so sure that Patrick will retire after Sochi? He might return for another Olympics as Plueshenko did and is doing.
    that's what I was thinking as well... I'm seeing him being the Canadian version of Michelle Kwan - or I guess another Elvis Stojko - he's still so stinkin' young he could keep going for quite a while.

"Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title.
    Chen isn't 13 yet. He will be in May....

Banned
    Now, I understand why Oda screwed up some jumps sometimes. I'd be too with so many if this and that, you can do this but not that, or this and this but not that and that...geezewizz... the thing is, you can't think too much or else you will lose concentration, and if you don't think hard enough, you will be Oda-ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    And the haters still call Patrick ISU's dear son.
    You are too kind. It's ISU's pet, not son

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    He basically switched the 3T and 2T, with a small gain in bonus.
    Then maybe he should do that to get more score.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    that's what I was thinking as well... I'm seeing him being the Canadian version of Michelle Kwan - or I guess another Elvis Stojko - he's still so stinkin' young he could keep going for quite a while.
    Gosh, with all these Chan = Kwan talks is kind of iffy for me, cause Kwan tried 3 Olympics and still couldn't win gold, let's nope Chan won't be like Kwan.

After Sochi, if Patrick is still dominating the skating field with weak competitors, I can see him continue. He will only be just turning 23! That's younger than many top skaters today. If he wants to be a Tiger Wood or Roger Federer, I can see him staying.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Gosh, with all these Chan = Kwan talks is kind of iffy for me, cause Kwan tried 3 Olympics and still couldn't win gold, let's nope Chan won't be like Kwan.

After Sochi, if Patrick is still dominating the skating field with weak competitors, I can see him continue. He will only be just turning 23! That's younger than many top skaters today. If he wants to be a Tiger Wood or Roger Federer, I can see him staying.
    He will stay if he gets Kwan's kinda money.

Custom Title
    Then maybe he should do that to get more score.
    Yeah, the 4+3 opening is really for show off, besides wanting to get in the hardest jumps first and out of the way. A 4+2 and then a 3T tacked on a late jump will actually get a little more points. However, Patrick has had different contingencies planned ahead of time and is clear headed enough to implement necessary changes so as not to leave out points. That's why I wondered why Oda's team didn't have him better prepared for the highly likely scenario of turning the opening 4T into a 3T so that he wouldn't have lost a whole 3A combo and a medal in the opening seconds of his LP. Maybe it really was him unable to think in his skates, not unusual at all but it should have been overcome by a seasoned elite skater like Oda after multiple similar costly infractions.

The ideal in-the-zone performance should not have such distraction and any necessity of clear thinking at all. It should flow without thinking. I'm holding out for one from Patrick at Worlds.

Custom Title

But he also wants to get his university education and start an actual money earning career. Or even try another sport. He likes challenges. As well, he and his parents expect him to be able to excel at something else too. However, I think he would stay influencing the sport of figure skating and mentoring in some way as he has expressed such wish and desire.

One can only imagine that. Patrick will retire after Sochi. They will never compete with each other.
    Chan will retire after Sochi. He has other plans judging from his comments. He says he may take up gambling didn't you read it in one of the write-ups? And it is likely to be Nyuen against Chen against ???? I''s a long time off and you never know who will be the future skating prodigies. Don't write off those young ones who may not be shining as brightly as Chen and Nyuen now.

Custom Title
    He will stay if he gets Kwan's kinda money.
    Very true! The longer he stays in, the longer his family's hardship endures. If Patrick won 2014 Olympics, I'm not sure if he wants to continue doing this. He has strong sense of appreciation for his parents' sacrifices and love for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Yeah, the 4+3 opening is really for show off, besides wanting to get in the hardest jumps first and out of the way. A 4+2 and then a 3T tacked on a late jump will actually get a little more points. However, Patrick has had different contingencies planned ahead of time and is clear headed enough to implement necessary changes so as not to leave out points. That's why I wondered why Oda's team didn't have him better prepared for the highly likely scenario of turning the opening 4T into a 3T so that he wouldn't have lost a whole 3A combo and a medal in the opening seconds of his LP. Maybe it really was him unable to think in his skates, not unusual at all but it should have been overcome by a seasoned elite skater like Oda after multiple similar costly infractions.

The ideal in-the-zone performance should not have such distraction and any necessity of clear thinking at all. It should flow without thinking. I'm holding out for one from Patrick at Worlds.
    For most skaters I think the motto "plan your skate, skate your plan" is best. Once you start ad-libbing I can easily see how you might end up doing an Oda.

Patrick's idea of planning and practicing a contingency plan in case he misses the 4T+3T is very sound, I think.

Michelle Kwan typically practiced two endings for her programs, depending on whether she hit her triple-toe / tripe toe or not.

Page 18 of 192 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast