Patrick Chan | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Boeing787

On the Ice
Alright, now I can see the pictures on this link but not the latter one. Not sure what you are referring to re. starfish hands. Are you talking about the hands during his spins? I did notice a change in his hand movements, and was wondering whether that was deliberate?

I am pretty sure he was just following Lori's instructions. He only used star fish hands in POTO which is understandable becasue Phantom was a crazy man.

As I said before, Patrick is not a talented dancer. His skating skills and athleticism are far more impressive than his artitry. Still, he is one of the greatest skaters in this sport. After all, this is figure skating competition, not dance competition. Expressive arms/hands/face should count LESS than expressive feet/blades.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Alright, now I can see the pictures on this link but not the latter one. Not sure what you are referring to re. starfish hands. Are you talking about the hands during his spins? I did notice a change in his hand movements, and was wondering whether that was deliberate?

OMGosh, I just realize Patrick's pants, I always thought they were red stripes...until the pix...now those snakes.....no, I prefer the non-existed red stripes :p

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dropped in to Patrick's thread to see if anything new was going on with Patrick. Any new interviews from him
regarding 4CC's? Surprised to see the bickering going on here.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Dropped in to Patrick's thread to see if anything new was going on with Patrick. Any new interviews from him

Is it just in this thread? Have you gone to US Nationals men's LP thread?

I think the 4CC thread has been set up down in the skating section of the forum. Maybe there's something there. I've lost track of time; when is 4CC again? After this week of wall-to-wall skating, I've been spoiled, and now demand a major competition every week.

There's a Canadian site that's something like "canoe" that often has good skating coverage. (As opposed to the States, where newspapers now seem to cover skating in the Olympics, and that's it. Phooey.) I used to have the link. Does this name ring a bell with any of the Canadians hereabouts?

I'm assuming that no one going to 4CC from the U.S. or Canada will be reworking any of his or her programs because it's too soon. But I suppose Japanese skaters might have a bit of lead time and might have added a jump or changed a spin.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick skipped 4CC last year because of the traveling involved when he would rather focus on Worlds and the World Teams event after, for Canada as well as the prize money. That plan won him a Worlds title but cost him some prize money. This year's 4CC may be the only time he gets to compete exactly where he is, and not pay his coach's extra expenses :). With the high altitude testing the other competitors, he does have apparent advantages. However, the ice is slippery, so I hope he at least equals his Nationals performance to let us see how that would score internationally, and then go on to peak and rock at Worlds this time.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think the 4CC thread has been set up down in the skating section of the forum. Maybe there's something there. I've lost track of time; when is 4CC again? After this week of wall-to-wall skating, I've been spoiled, and now demand a major competition every week.

There's a Canadian site that's something like "canoe" that often has good skating coverage. (As opposed to the States, where newspapers now seem to cover skating in the Olympics, and that's it. Phooey.) I used to have the link. Does this name ring a bell with any of the Canadians hereabouts?

I'm assuming that no one going to 4CC from the U.S. or Canada will be reworking any of his or her programs because it's too soon. But I suppose Japanese skaters might have a bit of lead time and might have added a jump or changed a spin.

I think 4CC begins on February 15 or 16 I could be wrong, tho. I have not seen a schedule yet. I will check out Uni Sports and see what the live schedule is. I am looking forward to seeing my favorites of course and will be interested to see how China's Nam Song (sp) does. He has explosive jumps and beautiful quads and he is supposedly working on his presentation.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight

The site you want is
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/home.html[/URL]

Boeing787

On the Ice

http://www.2012fourcontinents.com/?page_id=624

The site you want is
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/home.html[/URL]

Thanks so much, Scrufflet! In terms of skating, I am an adopted Canadian, because the U.S. simply doesn't feed me enough.

And thanks for the link to the 4CC site, Boeing. Now I'm equipped.

By the way, demarinis5, I believe 4CC starts on Feb. 7, which is--eep! this coming Tuesday. So it's a week earlier than the date you mention in your post. I will be sure to look for Nam Song as you suggest. And Daisuke! And we get to see Jeremy's short program again, right? as well as Patrick's Aranjuez. Except for the absence of the Russians, the men's will be like a world championship.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Patrick skipped 4CC last year because of the traveling involved when he would rather focus on Worlds and the World Teams event after, for Canada as well as the prize money. That plan won him a Worlds title but cost him some prize money. This year's 4CC may be the only time he gets to compete exactly where he is, and not pay his coach's extra expenses :). With the high altitude testing the other competitors, he does have apparent advantages. However, the ice is slippery, so I hope he at least equals his Nationals performance to let us see how that would score internationally, and then go on to peak and rock at Worlds this time.

Don't forget his mom doesn't need to buy air ticket and pay for the hotel room this time!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Was Patrick 19 or 20 when he said his Mom would not leave his side for another two years? If so, another year and she has to admit her boy is indeed grown up. :) Or is the time up?

OK, just to make clear, she also functions as his manager, so he can focus on his training and competitions. Free manager is hard to come by these days.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Olympia,
My cats and I, with all the powers invested in us, furry or otherwise, do most formally and judiciously designate you an Honourary Canadian from this day forward!

Can't wait for 4CCs! Patrick and Jeremy's programs were both sublime at nationals. Haven't caught up on Takahashi yet but I love him too. So many dramas that will unfold.......

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Many of the Worlds podium contenders will be at 4CC, but not Kozuka. I've done my lamenting on the Entries thread. Kozuka will also be missed for the reason that this would otherwise be the first meeting between him and Patrick in an ISU event this season since he missed the GPF.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Many of the Worlds podium contenders will be at 4CC, but not Kozuka. I've done my lamenting on the Entries thread. Kozuka will also be missed for the reason that this would otherwise be the first meeting between him and Patrick in an ISU event this season since he missed the GPF.

You think he's the bigger threat to Patrick than Dai/Abbott? In longer run, I would say so. But I find Kozuka's skate's very "passive" (can't think of a better word), that I find if both skate well, Patrick has the edge, no pun intended.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Thanks so much, Scrufflet! In terms of skating, I am an adopted Canadian, because the U.S. simply doesn't feed me enough.

And thanks for the link to the 4CC site, Boeing. Now I'm equipped.

By the way, demarinis5, I believe 4CC starts on Feb. 7, which is--eep! this coming Tuesday. So it's a week earlier than the date you mention in your post. I will be sure to look for Nam Song as you suggest. And Daisuke! And we get to see Jeremy's short program again, right? as well as Patrick's Aranjuez. Except for the absence of the Russians, the men's will be like a world championship.

(Gasp!) how could you have forgotten Javier already! I hope he has not peaked already... I still think he's a contender at World.

Olympia,
My cats and I, with all the powers invested in us, furry or otherwise, do most formally and judiciously designate you an Honourary Canadian from this day forward!

Can't wait for 4CCs! Patrick and Jeremy's programs were both sublime at nationals. Haven't caught up on Takahashi yet but I love him too. So many dramas that will unfold.......

Merci/thanks! I send gratitude to you and the felines. I agree that it's going to be a nail biter in every discipline this year. Yipes, even ice dancing isn't a sure thing.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
jettasian said:
You think he's the bigger threat to Patrick than Dai/Abbott? In longer run, I would say so. But I find Kozuka's skate's very "passive" (can't think of a better word), that I find if both skate well, Patrick has the edge, no pun intended.

At this point, Patrick is his own threat. He really is competing with himself. None of the forerunners has TES content to rival his, while the very few with comparable or higher TES BV lag signigicantly in PCS. Put it this way, as high as his PCS is, his TES tops it when he skates well and especially when clean. There is no cap on TES and, dismissing his Nationals scores, he is pushing the presumed TES limits of 50 and 100 in the two programs.

Kozuka lacks what I call the champion look or commending presence, so does Jeremy, despite them being among the very best. It's something skaters like Plushenko, Takahashi, and earlier Joubert have in spades, something you can perceive as soon as they take to the ice. Patrick, OTOH, cannot be missed on ice, even by casual fans, who can't help but notice him among any group of skaters, just by his simplest moves. He has a cool focus, and if he were nervous, he doesn't show it.

eta. As for Kozuka comparing to Daisuke and Jeremy, he beat them both soundly last season. He even beat Patrick's Worlds LP TES. He is running colder this year while the other two are swinging back. They are all potentially dangerous and cannot be counted out.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just to remind all, this is the Patrick Chan Fan Fest thread. It is not the Patrick bashing thread, the Patrick fan bashing thread, or the Johnny Weir bashing thread.

This is supposed to be a fun place for Patrick fans to discuss Patrick, swap links, and generally have a good time.

Consequently, I have just unapproved a large block of posts.