Patrick Chan | Page 182 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skaterr

On the Ice
I hope he gets better in the FS. He didn't look well today.
He definitely looked thinner than before.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Aw... Dear Patrick!

Here's PJ Kwong's interview with him after the SP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSPb-aBslY

Anyone notice that he looks even thinner than before?

I noticed he looked gaunt with dark under eye shadows. I've never seen him looking like this, sad and sick looking, at the K&C or anywhere else. In the video after the event, he's sweaty as if he had just finished a LP. He smiled but had obviously low energy. I hope he's OK. A day of rest and reflection will be good for him.

I have been trying to guess the outcome of this competition by comparing the mindsets and am not surprised he would not win when he takes this as a practice while Hanyu is determined to win "the next time".

I explained that Takahashi didn't capitalize on Patrick's flawed performance at Worlds 2012 because he had mentally conceded for that season. I was criticized for putting down Daisuke but later his coach confirmed that they were aiming for silver that year. So they got silver.

I pulled out my pendulum before the competition and confirmed that Hanyu, not Patrick, would win and that Patrick would skate clean today. Didn't think of asking about Zayaking!

I hope he will soon have a great 4S to add to the programs and minimize the Zayaking risk with 4T and 3T in the SP. He needs not do a 4/3 combo and can even get a higher score with a 3/3 later in the program.

Rest well, Patrick, and show us what you're made of at the LP. But don't push yourself too hard if you're not completely healthy.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Very sad for Patrick. Based on the comments and reviews, very tough skate for him. I don't know when I will watch his SP :sad4:. I think the lighting is funny in the interview (just watched Yuzuru's and he looked strange too).

I hope Patrick has a good rest and regroup tomorrow and a strong free Saturday.

liv

Record Breaker
That was not the Patrick I wanted to see today. Everyone knows he's much better than that, but sometimes it's just not your day. I want to see what this fine short gets when clean and so far we haven't seen that. Hopefully he's feeling ok and he'll give a great free, not only for us to enjoy, but to boost his confidence as well going into the next part of the season.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
It was actually a bit worrying. his face looks gaunt. I hope he's ok. --P.S. I'm used to seeing Yuzu like that, but not Pat.

I hope he's not thinking that he needs to lose more weight in order to compete with Yuzu and Jin!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
PJ Kwong: Tell me, what your strategy is for the free program?

Patrick: I don't know right now... I think I'm just gonna stick to the plan, obviously, and focus on practice tomorrow.

Focus, Patrick! Focus!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Now I'm scared to watch Patrick's SP. :laugh: In this case, I am thankful NBC doesn't (usually) show the SPs. He did look unwell in the interview and didn't "reveal" as much as he normally does. It's like he just wanted to get the interview over with as fast as possible. He mentioned the learning curve again and hopefully this will help Nationals and Worlds be way better.

:ghug: with all my fellow Patrick fans. Take a deep breath and say Ohmmmmmmm.

And yes, m0001, his health and happiness is always the most important thing. I sure hope he knows that.

Last edited:

happylife

On the Ice
I don't know how to explain my feeling. Patrick is always my no. 1 favorite skater no matter how bad his performance today

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Curiosity got the better of me and I watched the SP with no sound so I wouldn't have to hear the commentators. In his last two SPs, he's made mistakes that he's never made before. Did he not realize he Zayaked until he got his scores? I couldn't tell if, in the interview, he was "surprised" about the rules or just frustrated by his program. Skaters get criticized a lot online when they Zayak, but I would imagine that it's sometimes hard not to do it when you're in the moment of the program and your mind is already racing because of often unexpected mistakes. If during the program Patrick was indeed thinking, "3Lz+3T will get me some points back," then after the scores he was probably thinking, "Dang it, my hard work to do that combo got me nothing! :bang:" All he needed to do to avoid Zayaking was 3Lz+2T, but that would have been an invalid element. :( What a fighter though. The whole program was a bit off, but he fought.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
Curiosity got the better of me and I watched the SP with no sound so I wouldn't have to hear the commentators. In his last two SPs, he's made mistakes that he's never made before. Did he not realize he Zayaked until he got his scores? I couldn't tell if, in the interview, he was "surprised" about the rules or just frustrated by his program. Skaters get criticized a lot online when they Zayak, but I would imagine that it's sometimes hard not to do it when you're in the moment of the program and your mind is already racing because of often unexpected mistakes. If during the program Patrick was indeed thinking, "3Lz+3T will get me some points back," then after the scores he was probably thinking, "Dang it, my hard work to do that combo got me nothing! :bang:" All he needed to do to avoid Zayaking was 3Lz+2T, but that would have been an invalid element. :( What a fighter though. The whole program was a bit off, but he fought.

Why would a 3Lz-2T be invalid?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Why would a 3Lz-2T be invalid?
I could be wrong, but I think skaters can't do a triple-double as the combo in the SP. According to this chart, double-triple is allowed but not triple-double. Does anyone know why double-triple is allowed? Is triple-double allowed too? I'm confused now. :confused:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I could be wrong, but I think skaters can't do a triple-double as the combo in the SP. According to this chart, double-triple is allowed but not triple-double. Does anyone know why double-triple is allowed? Is triple-double allowed too? I'm confused now. :confused:

:confused: 3-2's are allowed and are valid elements in SP.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Triple doubles are allowed as well, as long the jump is not repeated. AFAIK, A 3Lz+2T would have counted.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I think 3lz+2t would have counted but a 3lz+1t or 2t+2t would be marked as an invalid element.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Let's see if Patrick can pull off a "Wagner" like Ashley did last year (jumping from 6th to 3rd respectively).

yhmafan

Medalist
Even though it was not his day, his skating was amazing, hopefully he will come back strongly in his FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah javi did 3z-2t... no idea why patrick didn't think fast enough... he must be tired... won;t watch it... i'll save myself the torture and hope he can gain a few spots with the lp but most likely hope he can just skate well... funny thing : i just got given mack the knife to learn for a show....