Patrick Chan | Page 184 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you all for your insightful comments, as always! Yes, I think until other vehicles to promote the sport of figure skating are explored and developed, Patrick's best options for promoting the sport are to 1) skate and win consistently and 2) teach others. Perhaps later, when he is no longer a competitive skater, he can promote the sport through the media (being a sports commentator), business (fundraising), or politics/diplomacy.

Today I wish Patrick the very best, and I hope that when he skates, he is able to do it with gratitude for the opportunity to perform in front of a global audience. I pray that he will not shrink back but will give it his all, knowing that we, his supporters, are with him, and we are so grateful as well to be able see and experience his wonderful talent right now. Go, Patrick!

(Side note - today I have a performance as well, so I will not be on the forum for awhile. I look forward to reading all of your comments here when I return late tonight. Enjoy!)

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick finished 5th at the Vancouver Olympics and he performed at the Gala. (He would have been invited as a rep of the host nation regardless of his placement but pushing Weir to 6th deprived the latter of a gala performance, angering Weir and his fans who wanted the world to see Johnny's Poker Face.) As Patrick was performing his Yesterday, a white balloon with the word "Believe" on it, as there were many such Olympic balloons in the building, started drifting down to the rink, quite dramatic in the dark as caught by the camera. As the commentators exclaimed they had never seen anything like this, it floated slowly toward Patrick. He finished the program, turned around and the the balloon was right in front of him at waist level. He took it with both hands and saluted the audience with a big smile. (There are photos that captured this scene. Somebody or myself may bring it here later.)

I've always thought Mr.Colson and the Universe conspired the coolest way to deliver the message to Patrick.

I hope Patrick has found his peace and perspective. One competition does not define his skating career and every champion has some unfortunate competitions. He has recovered from bitter disappointments before and he will again. I hope tomorrow he will show us the fierce competitor that he is. I hope he will stay calm and fully focus on every present moment of the program. I hope he will amaze us all again.

I hope Patrick remembers the message sent to him via a special balloon at the Vancouver Olympic and BELIEVE.
I dug around in this thread and found VB's explanation of the balloon and a picture, in case those new to our Fest don't know the significance of what I bolded. (I didn't know about the balloon until VB explained it so wonderfully). Thanks for the reminder VB!

I actually stumbled upon the official version of this gala with no commentary, so here you go. You first see the balloon when Patrick does the death drop into the scratch spin. Then he glides by it in his ending pose :)love:) and also picks it up before he takes his bows. I also love how PJ Kwong introduces him: "A huge source of national pride." Enjoy! :) Patrick's 2010 Olympics Ex

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yay... haven't seen the skate yet... but YAY!!! protocols are great... that's the skate he needed ! <3

Sam L

Medalist
Even though he didn't medal that FS was great and he will just build on t his IMO. Still a long way to the go in this season.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you skatingfan4ever for the heavy dredging to explain the balloon. Another note: Patrick retrieved the Yesterday program for the Olympic Gala as a tribute to Mr. Colson who taught him actual figure skating he included in the program.

I'm so happy for Patrick for his LP today. :clap: The practice event is over and he's back on track. He still did not look well today and was reported to be distracted and not doing well at practice earlier but he pulled through with a clean beautiful skate. Whatever mental hack he used to focus, it worked (again) and I hope it is now staying in his pocket to be pulled out whenever he needs it, just as his artistry is now a permanent part of his skating.

Every year Patrick has a goal for his skating progress and the two years before his sabbatical, he focused on his artistry with great success while the trend has been on the high scoring quads. There is hardy any room for higher PCS for him whereas limitless TES has risen along with the number of quads for the great jumpers along with PCS bonuses.

Patrick has always been successful in achieving his yearly skating goal, except for the delay in quad due to illness and resulting injury in 2009. If he would now again focus on the jumps, he should be able to get his 4S competition ready. Seeing the marks he's able to get with 1 quad and 1 3A in the LP, he would smash through 100 TES as well with 2 or 3 quads and possibly 2 3As. Like Sonora aptly put it, he has to go upstream, so it seems he has to once again focus on the jumps. Luckily, a higher TES is so achievable for him.

You do us proud today, Patrick, like you have always done. Take care of yourself.

iceberg

On the Ice
hi guys its my first time to post here to be honest cos i was never really a fan of pchan before not until he gave us a superb work of art. his chopin lp this season is a masterpiece. i appreciate so much that despite how this sport especially in men turned out to become like a circus with all the jumps that he continues to focus on creating an art in a landscape of figure skating. he may not be technically superior against the others bv wise but with his lp now he had put himself in a league of his own.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
iceberg, thank you for your post. glad that you can appreciate his skating as much as we do here... We are crazy about it ;) welcome to the peaceful chan fan thread, where (we hide from the haters who hang out on the other sections of the forum)
hi guys its my first time to post here to be honest cos i was never really a fan of pchan before not until he gave us a superb work of art. his chopin lp this season is a masterpiece. i appreciate so much that despite how this sport especially in men turned out to become like a circus with all the jumps that he continues to focus on creating an art in a landscape of figure skating. he may not be technically superior against the others bv wise but with his lp now he had put himself in a league of his own.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome iceberg! You and your new found appreciation for Patrick's skating are exactly what he has been skating for. After blazing a trail with superb skating skills and pioneering the new quad era, he changed his focus to artistry under the much snickered choice of a coach while others are riding the tidal wave of quad filled programs.

He is back and it may take some time to ease back into the competitive mind and body, but he is on track with his long term plan. I believe he will get back the TES advantage again by next season. The road back is little bumpy but he has proven to be worthy of our faith in him.

This thread is more than a retreat from the often unpleasant bias and even hostility, it is a fest, a celebration of Patrick Chan. :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okok i agree... yes... i should have expressed myself better.... i was just coming back from a little argument over on the edge ;)

you are so eloquent my dearest VB ;) let's celebrate... BTW.... Patrick has indeed lost weight.... his pants were looser weren't they? Yeah...I am guilty for looking at his gorgeous lines.

Finally..... i love the program tonight.... it was pretty much as good as SC.... i think i liked it better at SC since it was the first time I was seeing it and was completely enamored with it... what do you think? which one was better?
Welcome iceberg! You and your new found appreciation for Patrick's skating are exactly what he has been skating for. After blazing a trail with superb skating skills and pioneering the new quad era, he changed his focus to artistry under the much snickered choice of a coach while others are riding the tidal wave of quad filled programs.

He is back and it may take some time to ease back into the competitive mind and body, but he is on track with his long term plan. I believe he will get back the TES advantage again by next season. The road back is little bumpy but he has proven to be worthy of our faith in him.

This thread is more than a retreat from the often unpleasant bias and even hostility, it is a fest, a celebration of Patrick Chan. :hap10:

liv

Record Breaker
So happy to see patrick skate like that. I love yuzu, he is my favourite, but really, there is no one like patrick. Just for pure skating skills he is unmatched. If he does a clean short, adds a 2nd quad, he is on the podium, no question.

Seems like he has the free under control, now he just has to tame that short!

I hope when he retires he eventually takes up coaching because no one else seems to be able to teach edges like his...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So happy to see patrick skate like that. I love yuzu, he is my favourite, but really, there is no one like patrick. Just for pure skating skills he is unmatched. If he does a clean short, adds a 2nd quad, he is on the podium, no question.

Seems like he has the free under control, now he just has to tame that short!

I hope when he retires he eventually takes up coaching because no one else seems to be able to teach edges like his...

and that's because of him studying with a very old school and amazing coach when he was a kid.... Osborne (Ozzy) Colson....

I agree with you, this knowledge must be shared and transferred...

liv

Record Breaker
Yes, I knew that. And those coaches are few and far between these days.

Im in star wars excitement mode because I want him to " pass on what you have learned, " like agood jedi should.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome liv. I am so proud of Patrick for attracting new fans from a rare event where he is off the podium. It must thrill and move him to know that he is achieving his goal set from 3 years ago. :yay:

Patrick is always so grateful for the support he's gotten in his skating life and often talks about giving back to the sport as well as the community. He holds skating clinics regularly as part of his goal to help young skaters and is active in community work for which he even won an award a few years back. If you don't know already, Patrick hopes to set up a holistic skating training centre in the future. He is already involved in a upscale facility in a BC building project. He will be giving a all male seminar next week in BC. I figure the organizers are giving the boys a chance since Patrick is usually swamped by girls when he gives lessons. :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
His LP this season is my everything! :love:

Ah, I almost missed your post. Welcome and thank you for being part of Patrick's goal fulfillment. I'm so happy for patrick and hope he knows how many people he's reached and moved since his comeback starting again with lower BV but high performance.

calica

Final Flight
First of all, I must say that my English is not my language and I hope to explain my thoughts.
As Iceberg, I've never been a fan of Patrick , I admire his skills, their edges but not connected to me.
But in skate canada his FS moved me to tears.
I would prefer in his SP in a rock version .
Yesterday I finished very disappointed that for the third time he does not a clean short and with a mistake that costs the podium.
Today I thought he would not do well because he was very serious and almost sad, but it's been great. I cried again.
The amazing thing is that in his PC `is only one point away from the PCs of Hanyu.
And that has 20 points less in technique but it is also true that Yuzuru has 2 quads more.
If he works hard and adds some technical elements, he can fight for the gold in the world.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you Calica for your kind words and your English is very good.

Wow, I didn't expect to be the Welcome Committee tonight. (Where are the other regulars hiding? Lurking and giving thumbsup is being a lazy fan!) We had great hope for Patrick today but evidently he was more amazing than we would know. So happy he is reaching people like he set out and worked hard to do. Bliss to Patrick and all his fans!

Hey, the Random Tarot Generator was right after all! Let me find it.

Chan: The World: Completeness and intricacy of design. A great work. Achievement, reward, and well-earned recognition. A time of success, prosperity, security and joy. May also indicate travel or a change in residence.

I believe one achieves one's real goal. Another evidence: Patrick didn't set out to win this competition but he realized his goal of touching and moving people with his performance.

Last edited: