Patrick Chan | Page 185 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

MIM

Medalist
Patrick brings the sincere joy and respect for the figure skating. I keep watching his FP over and over. His blades are just a marvelous work or art. He is an extraordinary skater.

He doesn't need to prove anything. I don't need him to be the winner to enjoy his skating. He can keep his tech contents and still skate beautifully. I applaud for his vision of incorporating modern dance into the skating. I get manic with those throughly studied, controlled body movements to the nuance of the music. He is just one step closer to what he set out to do. Maybe the circumstance helped him reach deep down to his emotional self and bring it to the life/performance.

I am sorry that TEB was canceled. Otherwise, I could have seen another version of this Chopin. His performance seems to vary per his emotional status- all very precious and brilliant.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Would you describe the difference between his SC LP and GPF LP, MIM? I would love and appreciate a knowledgeable analysis of the nuances of a performance art and the emotional connection expressed.

happylife

On the Ice
BV, I'm here. I have been checking in this thread for the whole day and read all the beautiful and awesome posts. Just so proud and happy for Patrick and welcome all Patrick's new fans.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's post FS interview byPj Kwong

He has a tattoo on his neck? XXI?

I have wanted to do video recounting of The Saga Of Patrick Chan's Tattoo for a while for off season but have a hard time finding the one when he was busted by his Mom when giving a speech and being interviewed at an equestrian club (I believe it was). It was hilarious from planning one for after the Vancouver Olympics, asking fans for suggestion where to have it, being busted, going ahead behind her back, recounting the consequences and telling kids not to disobey their moms like he did. LOL.

But he has snuck another one quietly?

MIM

Medalist
Would you describe the difference between his SC LP and GPF LP, MIM? I would love and appreciate a knowledgeable analysis of the nuances of a performance art and the emotional connection expressed.

Oh, thank you for seeing me as a knowledgable viewer. Sorry I have to disappoint you. It is hard to be objective with his performance. I will try my silly best. :)

At the SC, he was like writing a love letter first time. He's bright, dominant, absolutely brilliant. Sometimes showing off with pedantic expressions, but you can feel sincere love and passion for someone.
At the Final, the love has ripen. In the letter, he means every single word and you can feel it. It gets complex; his emotion turns into dark, deep, and sorrowful, yet he still sings with dear love and passion. He is not afraid of showing how much he loves someone. He finally feels free of what he is writing. Because whatever he says, it is true.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh, thank you for seeing me as a knowledgable viewer. Sorry I have to disappoint you. It is hard to be objective with his performance. I will try my silly best. :)

At the SC, he was like writing a love letter first time. He's bright, dominant, absolutely brilliant. Sometimes showing off with pedantic expressions, but you can feel sincere love and passion for someone.
At the Final, the love has ripen. In the letter, he means every single word and you can feel it. It gets complex; his emotion turns into dark, deep, and sorrowful, yet he still sings with dear love and passion. He is not afraid of showing how much he loves someone. He finally feels free of what he is writing. Because whatever he says, it is true.

:love: :bow:

And you received and read these love letters.

I always feel fans who feel Patrick's skating are very sophisticated, connecting to music and noticing the nuances in expression of feelings via his movements and timing, even the control and the varying of his speed in every little move like no one else could. No need to be knocked over the head with exaggerated facial expressions and overtly suggestive motions, like declaring one's love with a bullhorn.

And your description is much like Patrick's skating, so lovely and lovingly expressed. Love your silly best!

eta. OTOH, I also love the passion in his Phantom Of The Opera while his Aranjuez is my favorite because it depicts an emotional and spiritual journey, rather than a straight portrayal of a character and telling of a story.

Last edited:

happylife

On the Ice
Violet Bliss, Pls accept my apology for the mistake of your name (BV) in my previous post. I'm so sorry and pls forgive me.

m0001

On the Ice
Thank you Calica for your kind words and your English is very good.

Wow, I didn't expect to be the Welcome Committee tonight. (Where are the other regulars hiding? Lurking and giving thumbsup is being a lazy fan!) We had great hope for Patrick today but evidently he was more amazing than we would know. So happy he is reaching people like he set out and worked hard to do. Bliss to Patrick and all his fans!

Hey, the Random Tarot Generator was right after all! Let me find it.

I believe one achieves one's real goal. Another evidence: Patrick didn't set out to win this competition but he realized his goal of touching and moving people with his performance.

Thanks VB for all your posts and for being the "Welcome Committee" tonight!

Not a "lazy" fan here, but so happy to see Patrick doing such a great job and don't know what to say. Is he going to skate at the exhibition gala tomorrow?

m0001

On the Ice

MIM, I enjoy reading your analysis so much!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Okay, I'm back now after being away performing most of the day, and I've enjoyed all your posts. Welcome to all the new posters!

MIM - Wow, your post about Patrick's love letters made my heart sigh... such a beautiful way to describe his performances! Like VB said, it deserves many thumbs up!

I just wanted to say that I am so, so, so proud of Patrick and so happy for him. Like the B.ESP guys said, I can't wait for him to add the second quad back into this LP. This is an exquisite piece of art and I'm glad the judges recognized that and it ranked third. I'll comment more tomorrow after watching different versions of this LP.

For now, I hope everyone here can breathe a sigh of relief and be at peace!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The latest article with notable quotes from Patrick:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skat...eaver-andrew-poje-reign-in-spain-dimanno.html

Chan had lousy practices this week and revealed he’d even briefly considered bailing after the dismal short, such was his frustration. He’s no quitter, however. A year away from the competitive fray was always intended as a temporary hiatus – no regrets, by the way.

“The difficulty of the jumps now and how many quads are in the programs is really unreal. I didn’t expect that. What I find most challenging this year is actually just dealing with my own demons — putting expectations on myself, trying to please everyone. Maybe I need to start learning to please myself first.

“What was a surprise and what I didn’t expect and what I’m learning quickly is how big of a learning curve I was about to experience coming back into competition and on to the international stage.’’