Patrick Chan | Page 187 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Jombi

On the Ice
Please consider crediting Johnson for helping Patrick achieve the level of ideal figure skating you appreciate so much, perfect merging of athletism and artistic expression with the exquisite flair of modern dance.

Oh, but I do. I don't want to get rid of her, just to add someone else ;) Generally I actually think that introducing dance choreographers into figure skating would bring so much benefit to the sport. Fresh eyes, innovative ideas, more originality (e.g., Najarro).

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
at this time, I guess he is at home but he put the photo this morning, still had not come home.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I just figured out my disappointment with Patrick's costumes. Besides not showcasing his beautiful lines, extension, and movements, they are too casual and look off the rack. Costumes, like our attires, also reflect one's status and self esteem. They need to show the importance he regards the competitions, with quality befitting a great champion. He needs to show he cares enough and not to skimp on them. A king needs to dress like a king at the appropriate occasions.

What do you think of his costume at the GPF FS now? My first thought was, did he spill ketchup on his white noise costume?

Then I thought maybe the costume didn't fit anymore because he looked like he had lost a few more pounds.

After reading how frustrated he was and how he didn't want to be there at the FS, I wondered if he just didn't want to bother with dressing up?

Thoughts, everyone?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
at this time, I guess he is at home but he put the photo this morning, still had not come home.

I wanted to comment that Toronto seemed to be having an usually warm December like in Montreal where we haven't had any real snow yet. I wonder if we are going to have a green Christmas, which is rare and only happens because warm pre-Christmas days melt the snow but I have not experienced a Montreal Christmas in a green December.

So the photo may be from an earlier Fall day?

And Patrick will be off to BC for the seminar in just a couple of days. I hope he rests up well before training hard again.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What do you think of his costume at the GPF FS now? My first thought was, did he spill ketchup on his white noise costume?

Then I thought maybe the costume didn't fit anymore because he looked like he had lost a few more pounds.

After reading how frustrated he was and how he didn't want to be there at the FS, I wondered if he just didn't want to bother with dressing up?

Thoughts, everyone?

No idea. It could be anything, though probably not food stain as I don't think he eats while in his costume. I don't think fit would be an issue either. With spandex one size fits forever.

I particularly don't care for the SP costume. It is not flattering and I don't know how it relates to the program. It seems not related to the character in the song and more like clothes form Bobby Darin's time but his SP version is sung by Michael Buble. :shrug: As well, a big band attire suits Mack The Knife singer more than casual clothes.

BTW, I don't think Patrick is too thin or his weight is a health issue. Being slim is preferable for his skating.

Oh, any thoughts on his tattoo on his neck/shoulder?

MIM

Medalist
Thank you for the kind welcoming!
I just want to add that in this LP there's a sense of certainty and inevitability that confers an aura of gravitas to his performance: it appears like every step and movement needs to be inevitably followed by the exact next step/movement Patrick actually does and that is the only right possibility contempled (...otherwise we are lost, cit.).
There are no many programs that made me feel this way.
@Jombi, I clearly understand and agree with your detailed observation. I think it has to do with his edge work, dance training technically for him to move like that. Artistically, like sustain in vocal or playing the instruments, his moves go beyond the written score/rhythm and resonate with the feel and nuance of his own, enriching his interpretation of Chopin. Every movement calls for each other and seamlessly convey the heart and reason of his Chopin. Such a masterful touch!

Please consider crediting Johnson for helping Patrick achieve the level of ideal figure skating you appreciate so much, perfect merging of athletism and artistic expression with the exquisite flair of modern dance.

@Violet Bliss, I agree. Johnson is not a typical figure skating coach, but she is indeed the coach Patrick needed to reach his goal at the time of his career, IMO. Unlike many, I love what she has done for him. All his postures are patiently studied, elongated, and controlled. It was possible with her help and guidance 24/7. It is very different from taking a dance lesson 1-2 times a week off ice.

Adding a jump coach may be up to Chan. His departure from Krall was to pursuit the artistic aspect of his skating. But per Wiki, it looks like he kept one of his technical coaches/staff, Eddie Shipstead; maybe not a big name, someone who lifts his harness, records his practice and gives some advices? Patrick is in a different position right now compared to when and where he departed from Krall. I am sure he knows exactly what he needs to do to please himself (from his interview).

Also, I had to watch all events through eurovision channel (no commentary) because nothing else worked on my computer. It was a good choice. I could enjoy the SKATING with MUSIC, not be distracted by words of others. Especially the ones recorded after the live event are worse. The British Euro commentaries are good usually(they also have good days and bad days, I guess?), but I find it great when watching a discipline I less invest with.

@calica, Thank you for the photo. So warm..:thank:

Undolaure

Rinkside
Hi there! I was at the GPF in Barcelona this weekend and I didn't see him slim at all !!
Actually I would say he's a little bit hunkier than before...
Or maybe the wash machine shrank all his clothes... can't say... But I saw him pretty well.
Really nice with all the fans, as always, although sad or frustrated in the ice rink on the trainings !! We tried to cheer him up the best we could...
I hope he finds himself again.

By the way, can I stay here? I find myself really fond of Patrick... and now that I saw him in person and skating and talked to him, even more :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hi there! I was at the GPF in Barcelona this weekend and I didn't see him slim at all !! Actually I would say he's a little bit hunkier than before...
Or maybe the wash machine shrank all his clothes... can't say... But I saw him pretty good. Really nice with all the fans, although sad or frustrated in the ice rink on the trainings !!

By the way, can I stay here? I find myself really fond of Patrick... and now I saw him in person and skating and talked to him, even more :)

Welcome welcome Undolaure to the fest! Stay stay stay. Give the TARDIS a rest. Tell us more about the Patrick you saw and talked to.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Hi there! I was at the GPF in Barcelona this weekend and I didn't see him slim at all !!
Actually I would say he's a little bit hunkier than before...
Or maybe the wash machine shrank all his clothes... can't say... But I saw him pretty well.
Really nice with all the fans, as always, although sad or frustrated in the ice rink on the trainings !! We tried to cheer him up the best we could...

By the way, can I stay here? I find myself really fond of Patrick... and now that I saw him in person and skating and talked to him, even more :)

Well of course you can stay! Welcome!

LOL on the washing machine shrinking all his clothes. Please do tell us more about your in-person experiences with him!

Undolaure

Rinkside
I was surprised he always was in shorts in Barcelona...

Hahaha me too !!

Violet Bliss thank you very much for the welcome !!

What would you like to know? On or off the ice?

On ice, I always liked him... his artistic side, his soft movements... and I always heard that live, you would say he can even float! And that's so true!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I particularly don't care for the SP costume. It is not flattering and I don't know how it relates to the program. It seems not related to the character in the song and more like clothes form Bobby Darin's time but his SP version is sung by Michael Buble. :shrug: As well, a big band attire suits Mack The Knife singer more than casual clothes.

Oh, any thoughts on his tattoo on his neck/shoulder?

I was joking about the ketchup stain, lol. My crazy theory is that this year Patrick is trying to save money on his costumes, so he is going with the simplest, most inexpensive options available that somehow match his programs. While I don't like his SP clothes that much either, I thought it was an ingenious way for him to save money.

However, I don't like all the gray he's been wearing in the past 2-3 years. Why doesn't he wear some other colors on the ice? Most of his costumes have been gray or black (I prefer black). And at least his white noise top had some sparkly decor on it. His SP costume and this last top he wore for his LP had... no decor. Maybe this is a trend brought over from his show skating? I liked the vest he wore for his EX, even though he's worn it before.

I saw the tattooed roman numerals and wondered if he got them when he turned 21? Or is this something new? I'm sure he'll tell us soon enough.

Last edited:

Undolaure

Rinkside
Hahaha I don't know what to say !! I spent a lot of time at the Hall of the Hotel, so I saw him a lot going in and out... and in and out again...
Once, he forgot his skates for the training of the SP and had to come back running as hell !! He was always in a hurry !! And not really taking with the fans. I suppose we wanted some peace...

After the SP, I wanted to cheer him up someway, `cos he look so sad... So as he was signing for a girl, I asked him if I could tell him something... "Thank you for coming back to competition this season. I really missed you last year". I hope it helped a little... he had a big smile !!
After the gala he was more talkative taking pictures with everybody and talking... all smiles... relaxed... I told him he had lipstick on his cheek... he laughed a lot...

Well I didn't see it but a friend told me that the first day at a restaurant, the waitress was trying to flirt with him xD

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, the 2014 Olympics is officially XXII Olympics. It was my first thought when I first noticed it since his first tattoo was for his first Olympics.

Last edited: