Patrick Chan | Page 189 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
VB, it's amazing you know so much about Patrick, and I still hope you'll write a biography for him. Has a book on Plushenko by someone graduated from Laval University just published?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
VB, it's amazing you know so much about Patrick, and I still hope you'll write a biography for him. Has a book on Plushenko by someone graduated from Laval University just published?

Hahaha. I told you Tuly generated quite a bit of publicity so what I wrote about here is nothing personal or privileged.

StSq4

Rinkside
I don’t write so much here I know. I don’t have time to do that and most of all my English is everything but perfect! :( But I want to tell you that reading your posts is like feeling at home! Patrick is not so appreciated in my country and I can’t understand why… his skating in something unbelievable… really unbelievable. It’s a privilege for figure skating world to have someone like him. And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. It looked like he wanted to give up. :sad4: I don’t know where he found the power, the strength to skate that superb free program. But he is a champion. I think is hard for him to deal this situation: this is his coming back season and the level in male figure skating is so high. He needs to take time, no hurry. His plan is a long term one. But when you are a champion and you won so much in your career is hard to not be on the podium, to not be there to fight with the top skaters. Very hard. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him. He was relaxed in the end of the day, after a so difficult week. I really hope he can find self confidence again and I most of all I wish him to be happy, whatever happens.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Poor patrick :(

Lucky Patrick for he has someone there with him to support him. At time of competition, an understanding, motivating, and supportive coach is essential. It's why skaters want/need the coaches with them at competitions. But it seems some coaches may be great trainers but are not so supportive at competition rink side.

I don’t write so much here I know. I don’t have time to do that and most of all my English is everything but perfect! :( But I want to tell you that reading your posts is like feeling at home! Patrick is not so appreciated in my country and I can’t understand why… his skating in something unbelievable… really unbelievable. It’s a privilege for figure skating world to have someone like him. And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. It looked like he wanted to give up. :sad4: I don’t know where I found the power, the strength to skate that superb free program. But he is a champion. I think is hard for him to deal this situation: this is his coming back season and the level in male figure skating is so high. He needs to take time, no hurry. His plan is a long term one. But when you are a champion and you won so much in your career is hard to not be on the podium, to not be there to fight with the top skaters. Very hard. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him. He was relaxed in the end of the day, after a so difficult week. I really hope he can find self confidence again and I most of all I wish him to be happy, whatever happens.

His mental state at the GPF has been disclosed honestly at interviews, confirming what was quite observable. Taking time off, he lost the momentum, technically and mentally, at a time of great stride in quad jumps being made in figure skating history. There may also be personal life events affecting him that we are not aware of. But as you said and we know, he is a great champion. He will pick up all the pieces he needs again and so far he has been slaying his demons along the way. As I mentioned in an earlier post, times of difficulties are when mental blocks and emotional issues surface and are opportunities to deal with and clear them out. It seems Patrick has taken the challenges and opportunities to have success to show.

I wish him continued success in returning to the winning mindset and technical level and in competitions. Above all, I too wish him happiness in whatever he does.

Undolaure

Rinkside
I don’t write so much here I know. I don’t have time to do that and most of all my English is everything but perfect! :( But I want to tell you that reading your posts is like feeling at home! Patrick is not so appreciated in my country and I can’t understand why… his skating in something unbelievable… really unbelievable. It’s a privilege for figure skating world to have someone like him. And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. It looked like he wanted to give up. :sad4: I don’t know where I found the power, the strength to skate that superb free program. But he is a champion. I think is hard for him to deal this situation: this is his coming back season and the level in male figure skating is so high. He needs to take time, no hurry. His plan is a long term one. But when you are a champion and you won so much in your career is hard to not be on the podium, to not be there to fight with the top skaters. Very hard. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him. He was relaxed in the end of the day, after a so difficult week. I really hope he can find self confidence again and I most of all I wish him to be happy, whatever happens.

:sad4: So sincere !!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:sad4: So sincere !!!

Yes, that's our StSq4 who has given us wonderful reports from personal encounters with Patrick and who writes from the heart. Thank you, StSq4!

Forgive me for asking if you have disclosed it before, but may I ask which country you are from, StSq4? I assume you're European as you were at TEB and GPF. Sometimes fans find faults with their favorite (usually compatriot) skater's chief rival and turn a blind eye to the real quality of skating.

Wherever you are, I'm so glad you feel at home here with us at Patrick's fest. It's special, isn't?

MIM

Medalist
From Sonia Bianchetti's review on the GPF; :agree:

Patrick Chan, three-time world champion, placed 6th in the short program and 3rd in free, ending up in 4th position. Skating to a Chopin medley, he performed a flawless and gorgeous free program. Technically, he was outstanding. He opened with a super quad toe loop/triple toe loop combination, followed by seven more triple jumps and jump combinations, plus very well executed and attractive spins. But even more fantastic and breathtaking were both the step sequences, through which Patrick was really reaching the hearts of the spectators, expressing the music in the best possible way. Patrick really flows on the ice on deep edges and transmits his joy of skating. Each movement of his body, hands, and head corresponded to what one would expect on this beat of the music, just as in ballet. He was intense and communicative. Simply magic. Welcome back, Patrick!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
My last post in this thread was at 3:08 PM on Saturday. I checked the thread again approximately 48 hours later and discovered FIVE more pages of posts! :party: Welcome to all the new people! :biggrin: Now there’s two more pages on top of that! Yay!

I’m so happy for Patrick! I went straight to the video with no commentary. Who needs commentary when the program is this good? It speaks for itself. I’ve gotten in the habit of posting here what Tara and Johnny say about Patrick’s programs on NBC, but I don’t know if I will bother this time. We’ll see.

At first I liked the new shirt, but now I think it’s too gray. But it shows up better on the ice/on camera than the white one. I miss the blue of Le Boheme and the red of Aranjuez – he’s worn too much gray/silver/white for his last two LPs (I never could decide exactly what color the 2014 Four Seasons shirt was). He needs a little COLOR back in his LP costumes. Then again, it’s a melancholy LP, so the melancholy color works. I don’t know. He could have done black with little dashes of color and maybe we would be happier about it. Who knows.

I do have one question. Was the LP 3T intentional or not? He’s done that for two LPs in a row and neither of the 3Ts has “looked” like a typical pop. If someone didn’t know his layout beforehand, it looks so good they wouldn’t know it was a mistake. Why do you think he popped both of them when the 4T+3T was so successful both times? The solo quad should be “easier” after all. Is it a lack of concentration after getting the 3A out of the way?

With my costume ramblings and my 3T question out of the way, I want to say: OH MY GOODNESS, PATRICK, YOU DID IT AGAIN!!! Two LPs in a row performed with exactly the same technical outcome! Has that ever happened in his career before? I am sad that he was so frustrated and down on himself and apparently shared another one of those “moments” with Kathy (the picture someone posted here earlier makes me feel for him so much), but whatever Kathy is telling him/doing for him, it’s working.

There’s a vulnerability about his skating in this LP that hasn’t been there with any of his other programs. His movement is SO sophisticated here, simple and yet complex. In the E Minor Prelude section, the left hand sounds like a beating heart and Patrick matches EVERY ONE of those heartbeats in his body movement. To quote 4everchan:
omg... watching this without commentary, just listening to the emotion in the crowd made me tear up... i knew i was in love already... but yeah.... for those who say that chan doesn't emote.... watch him throughout the e minor prelude section... every single part of his body is connected to the music and projecting the perfect melancholic nature of the piece. I love you Patrick.

I also like Jombi’s observation about the inevitability of each carefully-chosen movement:
I just want to add that in this LP there's a sense of certainty and inevitability that confers an aura of gravitas to his performance: it appears like every step and movement needs to be inevitably followed by the exact next step/movement Patrick actually does and that is the only right possibility contempled (...otherwise we are lost).
There are no many programs that made me feel this way.

And MIM gave me another way to appreciate the program by not only describing it as someone writing a love letter, but also sharing how the love letter can change in tone/presentation with each writing (i.e. performance). The true artist is able to make their art seem fresh every time. I love your analysis of the LP. Thank you so much!
Patrick brings the sincere joy and respect for the figure skating. I keep watching his FP over and over. His blades are just a marvelous work or art. He is an extraordinary skater.

He doesn't need to prove anything. I don't need him to be the winner to enjoy his skating. He can keep his tech contents and still skate beautifully. I applaud for his vision of incorporating modern dance into the skating. I get manic with those throughly studied, controlled body movements to the nuance of the music. He is just one step closer to what he set out to do. Maybe the circumstance helped him reach deep down to his emotional self and bring it to the life/performance.

I am sorry that TEB was canceled. Otherwise, I could have seen another version of this Chopin. His performance seems to vary per his emotional status- all very precious and brilliant.
Oh, thank you for seeing me as a knowledgable viewer. Sorry I have to disappoint you. It is hard to be objective with his performance. I will try my silly best. :)

At the SC, he was like writing a love letter first time. He's bright, dominant, absolutely brilliant. Sometimes showing off with pedantic expressions, but you can feel sincere love and passion for someone.
At the Final, the love has ripen. In the letter, he means every single word and you can feel it. It gets complex; his emotion turns into dark, deep, and sorrowful, yet he still sings with dear love and passion. He is not afraid of showing how much he loves someone. He finally feels free of what he is writing. Because whatever he says, it is true.

And thank you also to VB for saying this:
I always feel fans who feel Patrick's skating are very sophisticated, connecting to music and noticing the nuances in expression of feelings via his movements and timing, even the control and the varying of his speed in every little move like no one else could. No need to be knocked over the head with exaggerated facial expressions and overtly suggestive motions, like declaring one's love with a bullhorn.
and this:
No one in the world can do what Patrick does on ice even if they can do better in the air above the ice. With incredible blade control, turning, twisting, shifting, often on one foot with deep deep edges, he does not just generate speed but varies it with precision and perfect timing with the music and exquisite dance moves. No one, absolutely no one, combines such powerful and intricate blade work with the total body musical and artistic expression. The great John Curry did his ballet with simple steps and glides, some can skate with speed and fancy footwork with much simpler or meaningless arm and body movements, some slow down or even stand still for artistic expression. No one, absolutely no one, marries the master blade work with such deep felt musical interpretation. When an artist masters the skills, they are just part of the total expression. A performance artist becomes one with his art, thus the subtly different nuances in each performance as who he is at the time, as MIM so beautifully and appreciatively noted and expressed. Each viewing reveals something new with more to discover.
All of the posts I’ve quoted (sorry for the outrageous length of this post :eek::) are why I love Patrick’s skating SO SO SO MUCH!!!!! I also love Dear Prudence/Blackbird because there’s so much nuance in it. It is a true exhibition, as in, a special work of art, not just easier jumps and spins set to different music. I’m thrilled to finally see the program not from a fan cam, although I had to use a VPN to do it. It appears to only be blocked in the U.S. though. And it was great to see him so happy at the gala.

To quote VB yet again:
This thread is more than a retreat from the often unpleasant bias and even hostility, it is a fest, a celebration of Patrick Chan. :hap10:
Yes indeed. And it’s never felt more like that than this season. What a joy it is for me to be a part of this thread. It's my favorite thread on GS.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Browsing on twitter and saw this post; apparently Japanese TV showed this scene between Patrick and coach right before the free

Awww... He was fully leaning on Kathy's shoulder.

So many lovely quotes today... I will just highlight a few of my favorites:

And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him.

Thank you for sharing, StSq4! I'm so glad you were able to encourage him!

Thank you, MIM, for the fabulous quote from Sonia Bianchetti's article!

I miss the blue of Le Boheme and the red of Aranjuez – he’s worn too much gray/silver/white for his last two LPs. He needs a little COLOR back in his LP costumes.

Earlier I mentioned this in the thread as well, and I'm so glad you concur! Some more color would be great!

---------------------------------------
Don't know if I mentioned this before - I found Patrick quite by accident. In the 1990s I was an ardent figure skating fan but life got busy and I stopped following the sport. Earlier this year I was writing a story when one night, my characters revealed themselves to be figure skaters. I was surprised, but afterwards when I listened to Rachmaninoff's Elegie I thought it would make a great piece of music to skate to. I was sure that someone had already skated to it, so I did a search on YouTube and voila, there was Patrick's wonderful program. I was hooked from then on.

And I am so very grateful to have found Patrick and his skating, even if I'm coming to it much later than those of you who have known him since the earliest days. Thank you for all of the stories, insights and thoughts you shared about him. I look forward to enjoying many more to come. :)

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I feel for Patrick. It must be hard coming back, and seeing that he has mountains to climb.

It was Patrick, in 2010-11 who pioneered the new way for men's skating under the IJS, combining the quad- as well as superior program components.
It must be hard for him to see that now this way of men's skating has evolved into something much harder.

in 2010-11, Patrick was leading the field by 50pts,
Now he is trailing Yuzuru by 70pts!

But this is the reality.

Skate Canada and Patrick's team need to step in and strategise. I believe that it is best for Patrick to spend some time with a jump coach or someone who can help get his 3A back on track- as well as get the 4T and the 4S out. This is not to dis Kathy Johnson- she is great and there is no doubt that she knows how to coach. well (despite what people say about her). But something needs to change.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Patrick seems to have a tough time with his SP Mack the Knife. I don't blame him, I really dislike how "lightweight" it sounds, no depth or soul. If he is ever going to consider an alternative, why not something soulful and jazz, like Simone's "Feeling Good"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

This can be done in the vein of Maria Butrskaya's, powerful skating to very rich trumpet, but in this case, very rich vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJwO3eKUNQ

Is there someone in contact with him who can propose?

Costume-wise, he needs to do some sparkles, eg Dior Homme by Slimane style?

Last edited: