Page 19 of 192 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    For most skaters I think the motto "plan your skate, skate your plan" is best. Once you start ad-libbing I can easily see how you might end up doing an Oda.

Patrick's idea of planning and practicing a contingency plan in case he misses the 4T+3T is very sound, I think.

Michelle Kwan typically practiced two endings for her programs, depending on whether she hit her triple-toe / tripe toe or not.
    Of course, Patrick has done an Oda before (2008 Worlds, 2010 CoR). But Chan also seems to have a lot more variable programs - Last season, I don't think he had the same jump layout at any two events.

Custom Title
    I'm sure Chan's parents value education highly. I think Chan will go to university and get some degree after Sochi. Skating won't be everything in his life any more.

Custom Title
    If Patrick could train in Canada, he could afford to go to University now as originally intended. However, since he found his ideal training situation in Colorado, he finds himself unable to pay for both the training and the American tuition. In fact, he needs to do shows in the summer, or else, I imagine, maybe some combination classroom and online lessons may be arranged with a Canadian University. Right now he is being tutored in preparation, focusing on Mandarin Chinese. I don't think he wants to postpone his higher education for too long.

Custom Title
    I agree. But I aslo think he will still do some shows after retirement, otherwsie it's going to be a waste for his talent and a huge loss for his fans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    I agree. But I aslo think he will still do some shows after retirement, otherwsie it's going to be a waste for his talent and a huge loss for his fans.
    I agree. I hope he's able to keep on skating, but I also hope that once Sochi is past him, he'll go to university. I'm always thrilled to hear that a skater is continuing his/her education to as high a level as possible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    For most skaters I think the motto "plan your skate, skate your plan" is best. Once you start ad-libbing I can easily see how you might end up doing an Oda.

Patrick's idea of planning and practicing a contingency plan in case he misses the 4T+3T is very sound, I think.

Michelle Kwan typically practiced two endings for her programs, depending on whether she hit her triple-toe / tripe toe or not.
    It's smart to have alternate plans, and Patrick has said he is able to tack a 3T on pretty much any of the jumps near the end of his program. Practicing the plans, OTOH, is unwise as it would impress the possibility into the mind, increasing the likelihood of such happening and the necessity.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    It's smart to have alternate plans, and Patrick has said he is able to tack a 3T on pretty much any of the jumps near the end of his program. Practicing the plans, OTOH, is unwise as it would impress the possibility into the mind, increasing the likelihood of such happening and the necessity.
    I notice that Patrick can add a 2T or 3T to the 3F or 3Lz or 2A in Aranjuez. However, from choreography's point of view, I'd rather see him add it to the 3F. Because I really like the moves/steps after the 3Lz and 2A and don't want it be replaced by a jump.
    Last edited by Boeing787; 01-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Custom Title
    I agree. I also thought doing a combo after that toe tapping was really ambitious.

I should clarify that I meant not to practice the alternate scenario on purpose. It's important to keep the correct mindset and muscle memory but if he misses the quad combo in practice then it's a perfect time to practice the contingency plan. I'm sure Oda must have turned the 4T into 3T in practice before so I wonder why he didn't learn to do a proper combo after, as he seemed to become aware of his mistake long after he had finished skating and was sitting at the K&C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Very true! The longer he stays in, the longer his family's hardship endures. If Patrick won 2014 Olympics, I'm not sure if he wants to continue doing this. He has strong sense of appreciation for his parents' sacrifices and love for him.
    Yes, but IF he were to win GOLD in Sochi he'd be the first (?) Canadian Mens Skater to do so. He'd have found a way to surpass Browning, Orser and Stojko... who he obviously desires to have a similar bankroll to what they had. That little deal would be incredibly bankable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Yes, but IF he were to win GOLD in Sochi he'd be the first (?) Canadian Mens Skater to do so. He'd have found a way to surpass Browning, Orser and Stojko... who he obviously desires to have a similar bankroll to what they had. That little deal would be incredibly bankable.
    The question mark can be removed.

Custom Title
    Patrick Chan looks to expand horizons with Lou Marsh Award

1. He wants to raise the sport of figure skating and its profile. The award helps.

2. He is inclined to reset the game at some point and start a new sport, maybe varsity/collegiate. This fits in with the education plan. (Didn't I say he liked challenges?)

3. He is hit hard by the death of Sarah Burke. I've been sad about it too but haven't related this to Patrick.

Some nice pictures from the Think First fundraiser:

Roots and ThinkFirst Joint Forces!

And news Video Skating for a cause

Some interview and SP footage in Moncton local news:

Patrick Chan wins fifth Canadian figure skating title in Moncton

And he celebrated Chinese New Year with the Liberals in a fundraising gala. Click for photos.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Custom Title
    A video presentation of what was written:

Patrick Chan Canadian Figure Skating Champion

Custom Title
    I'm bringing this from the Dai vs Pat thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787
    Quote Originally Posted by "SkateFiguring|
    OK, my proposal re program selection. Skate brand new SP and LP next season just to prove he can. Comes Olympic season, he can then decide if he will come up with a new masterpiece, or he could pick Aranjuez or next year's program, whichever is his or fans' favorite.

Dilemma resolved.
    I don't think it will happen. Next year he will add another quad to his program, it's vey unlikely he will have time to learn two brand new programs and work on a new quad as well.
    The new quad is an on going process he has started, to be implemented when he is comfortable and confident enough to include in his LP in competition, which may be anytime during the season. There were reasons he kept one of his programs each of the last two years. 2009 was shortened due to injury so POTO had not been used much and he didn't feel he had done it justice. Well, he did it justice by the end of 2010-11 season. Then with a postponed Worlds in 2011, the summer was very short, especially with shows he was doing in Asia. There was hardly time for a new LP, so the SP was kept. If this is going to be a normal summer, developing two new programs is quite doable, especially after the experience of this season.

Aranjuez may turn out to be an Olympic worthy masterpiece so it's good to save it as an option. OTOH, Lori may be so inspired by Patrick's skating skills that her creativity is stimulated to come up with ever greater programs. So there would be new options. Best to keep all options open, right? I'm sure new adjustments will be made if an old program is recycled, just as POTO evolved over the season.

Custom Title
    You have convinced me he might do two brand new porgrams next season. As long as I still have chance to see Aranjuez again, I am ok with he storing it for one year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    You have convinced me he might do two brand new porgrams next season. As long as I still have chance to see Aranjuez again, I am ok with he storing it for one year.
    If only I were Patrick's advisor!

Page 19 of 192 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast