Patrick Chan | Page 202 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What makes a good coach?

At the elite level, when it's no more about foundational skills and basic techniques, a great coach is not necessarily the best athlete of the sport him/herself. E.g. Bin Yao who consistently placed last in his competitive career. No coaches, can actually do what the top skaters can do today, even in their prime. It's not about teaching what they can or could do.

A good coach understands the techniques theoretically, has keen observation and good communication skills to impart the know how to adjust whatever needs adjustment. Easier said than done. Being able to give advice and directives needs to be matched with being able to accept, understand and execute for real desired results.

The relationship of a skater and his/her coach is important as well as the needs and objectives of the skater at various stages of his/her development. The right coach motivates and brings out the best of the skater.

I don't look down on Kathy Johnson as Patrick's skating coach. She knows how human body moves more than most skating coaches. Patrick perfected his quad by learning to use his core from her, and this basic knowledge and application improve all movements. At his level, what he needs is someone who knows his skills, where he is at technically and mentally, can spot the subtle nuances, and can impart the know how to him, Patrick Chan. And it's him who knows who suits him best, someone he trusts and respects, can count on for advice and to be there for him when he needs it.

As someone always seeking to be better, Patrick finds mentors and inspiration all the time, sometimes by direct consultation, other times through learning about the role models. I'm sure he would get himself technical coaching if he needs it.

m0001

On the Ice
It seems that when Patrick won TEB and broke his own world record in 2013, Kathy was not given any credit. When he failed one or two jumps, she was blamed for not being a good coach. Perhaps we should remember, all skaters are humanbeings. How many of them are error-free all the time?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think people forget that Patrick is not at the developing stage of his technique. He doesn't need the same kind of input as someone just starting to learn jumps.... He knows his technique... He has earned it. If I compare to my field, at his level, he needs a guide, a support system, not someone who will say "pick your toe there" ... He knows that stuff ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems that when Patrick won TEB and broke his own world record in 2013, Kathy was not given any credit. When he failed one or two jumps, she was blamed for not being a good coach. Perhaps we should remember, all skaters are humanbeings. How many of them are error-free all the time?

With Patrick, haters notice and focus only on any imperfection which they bring up in infinitum to create an image of him being a technically weak and inconsistent skater. His unconventional choice of a coach conveniently became another easy object for derision. Even many of Patrick's fans buy into claims of his inferior jump techniques and blame it on his coach.

Well, fact #1, Patrick was the technically best skater and, even with the influx of young jumping phenoms, has continued to be one of the strongest technically, albeit having scaled back after a year off competition and needing a little time to get up to his own standard for his comeback. His world records and winning stats speak for his abilities.

Fact #2: any coach would love to have Patrick as a student but he chose Kathy. Hater claimed it was because he was dating her daughter and he was stupid to mix up his personal relationship and his career, predicting a very awkward situation if he ever broke up with his girlfriend. Well, the romantic relationship has ended but his relationship with Coach Johnson is still evidently very close and solid, even through his sabbatical. So we can only conclude he chose and sticks with her because she is good for him.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Well said, Everyone!

The January 2016 issue of Figure Skater Fitness Magazine with Patrick on the cover is out and here's the link:

https://www.joomag.com/en/newsstand/figure-skater-fitness-magazine-january-2016/0359860001452182468

They allow you to read the first 8 pages for free here, but Patrick's article is on page 22. It costs $9 for a hard copy or to read the full version online.

The name of the article is "Patrick Chan: The Ultimate Training Plan of a Champion". I love how they use photos of him from Skate Canada. :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The spotlight will also shine on 2008 world champion Jeffrey Buttle who will be officially inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fame on Sunday, January 24. There will be a special ceremony to honour his tremendous career in skating during the Gala. In addition, Buttle will skate a solo in the Gala and choreograph the closing group number.
same source... buttle :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Someone mentioned Patrick to the Skating lesson:
I went to DSC club show tonight and Patrick was injured in the warmup falling on a quad. He appeared to have hurt his knee very hard, he did not skate his short program. Very unfortunate.

SGrand

Final Flight

This is how it is for every sport unfortunately. [emoji20]

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
This is how it is for every sport unfortunately. [emoji20]

Speaking of Kathy, I found this fantastic interview with her from 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8eUBFKhlo

PJ Kwong asked her what it meant that Patrick liked Kathy because she helps him to train at his own pace. He's also said:

"But Kathy has always been my biggest supporter. She’s dealt with my best days, my worst days and my in-between days."

Well, fact #1, Patrick was the technically best skater and, even with the influx of young jumping phenoms, has continued to be one of the strongest technically, albeit having scaled back after a year off competition and needing a little time to get up to his own standard for his comeback. His world records and winning stats speak for his abilities.

Yes! With his recent feelings of stress and nervousness at competitions, I hope he can remember this and hang on to it, so he doesn't let circumstances or others' opinions dictate his level of confidence. I believe in what he said before coming back:

And I felt like I had something to show, something new to bring to the table if I did choose to come back — and that kind of sparked the possibility of coming back to competition... and being on tour was helpful because I realized people really enjoy my skating and want me to keep skating.

Speaking of tours, I collected these rave reviews of Patrick from SOI:

"Dear Prudence/Blackbird": My eyes could not be torn away from Patrick's feet. Every time I see him skate live I'm reminded how freaking fabulous he is. I want to marry his edges!"

"Steppin' Out": More fancy footwork from Patrick. He's such a wonderful dancer. I hope he stays pro because he looks so happy just to be out there having fun on the ice."

"Favorite moment: Patrick Chan's skating was magical. I had no idea how graceful he is on the ice. His artistic manners stole my heart. I am a new fan."

"As expected, Evan Lysacek, Davis & White and Patrick Chan put on a show that reminded people of their greatness that earned them their Olympic medals."

"& PATRICK CHAN~~ HOW VIBRATING, YOUR PERFORMANCE!!!"

"We so loved Patrick Chan's skating to Beatle music and Tony Bennett. He was magical. "

"Favorite moment: Patrick Chan ice dancing to Dear Prudence"

"Favorite moment: Patrick Chan was fantastic!"

"Favorite moment: Patrick Chan and Katia Gordeeva -- simply beautiful."

"Patrick Chan is a once in a century kind of skater... musical and smooth, huge floaty jumps, dead-on spins and deep deep edges... I hope he keeps skating... what a treat."

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hehe ;) i am doing some personal research for MTK

a lot of people complained about Bublé's version being too beautiful... or too soft...

Here are a couple versions I have listened to just now... Let me know which one you prefer ;) and which one Patrick should skate on :)

hahahaha

I think it's interesting in German as you will hear in the first excerpt, there's a RRRRR and a SSSSS alliteration which of course is lost in translation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMWc4h77e2o (from the Movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHFXEPYU0FQ (Ute Lemper)

the famous ella fitzgerald version in English https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2n2EE2hls
(the jazzy version seems to lose the spooky effect)

Frankie boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW0RgtRLd1k

and of course our Patrick version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZhrdJhn_8

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
hehe ;) i am doing some personal research for MTK

Here are a couple versions I have listened to just now... Let me know which one you prefer ;) and which one Patrick should skate on :)

It sounds like Mack the Knife was a slower song that didn't start out jazzy at all. I liked Ella's version, but I like this version of Frank Sinatra's rendition the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9klGr3ELkg

Also, I liked the way Louis Armstrong played and sang MTK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lHrDPjGfQ

How do you like this mostly instrumental version by Ray Conniff? Some vocals, but no lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-sac4GP8sU&list=PLF6F6791E2896AF12

And here's Sting's version (he sings in German):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokJ2BbdwdU

Bluegrass version by Roger Sprung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7RfTnh8to4

I found this whole playlist of interesting Mack the Knife versions by Lyle Lovett, Benny Golson Funky Quartet, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEKcJ52xF8&list=PLo2qH7NumG8zR4GTT6-8IcUgfki9xZjHJ&index=1

In the meantime, I wish Patrick a speedy healing for his knee and that he continues to have confidence in his jumps!

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
For skate,i like the Louis Armstrong´s version. Powerful, strong and charismatic version.

I love the comment about the performances of Patrick

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It sounds like Mack the Knife was a slower song that didn't start out jazzy at all. I liked Ella's version, but I like this version of Frank Sinatra's rendition the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9klGr3ELkg

Also, I liked the way Louis Armstrong played and sang MTK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lHrDPjGfQ

How do you like this mostly instrumental version by Ray Conniff? Some vocals, but no lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-sac4GP8sU&list=PLF6F6791E2896AF12

And here's Sting's version (he sings in German):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokJ2BbdwdU

Bluegrass version by Roger Sprung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7RfTnh8to4

I found this whole playlist of interesting Mack the Knife versions by Lyle Lovett, Benny Golson Funky Quartet, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEKcJ52xF8&list=PLo2qH7NumG8zR4GTT6-8IcUgfki9xZjHJ&index=1

In the meantime, I wish Patrick a speedy healing for his knee and that he continues to have confidence in his jumps!

I love Sting's version as it is close to the original... for skating, it's just not a really good song :)

for Patrick, I'd go with Louis Armstrong as well... at least the instrumental verse makes it easier to relate to, without crazy lyrics :)

MTK originally was a "complaint" type of song so indeed much slower and focusing on the lyrics...the acting... it's much different when it gets into jazzy versions.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'M BACK TO POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!! I've been lurking for a while because I was doing other things and didn't feel that I had time to contribute meaningfully to the discussion. But I hit "Like" on most of the posts that were written while I was lurking. :laugh: To think, 100 pages ago we were still trying to process what happened in Sochi and looking for any evidence of Patrick smiling and enjoying the rest of his Olympic experience. Look at us now -- celebrating Patrick's "bonus" comeback and discussing his current place in the skating world. Right after the Sochi LP, I was SO SAD because I thought that might be the end of Patrick's competitive career. I'm SO THRILLED to have been wrong about that. :biggrin:

I have a few thoughts about the discussions of late, but I need to organize them in a logical manner so as not to overwhelm you all. In this post, I just wanted to let you know I'm still here and say THANK YOU ALL for keeping this thread active and vibrant and fun and thoughtful and informative. It's pretty much the only source I use for Patrick news now.

I wish Patrick a speedy recovery. I hope the injury won't affect Nationals too much, but Nationals is so soon. :( I assume he will skip 4CC.

Patrick tweeted a picture of himself and Katia Gordeeva that I don't think has been posted here yet.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Like skatingfan4ever I wanted to just post something and to thank the ones who have kept it going. :thank:

Count me in for the Louis Armstrong version. The Buble version is a little "peppier" which was maybe what Patrick was going after - a more mainstream MTK. A while back on another forum I saw the question "Can you like a skating program without liking the music?" I like Patrick's MTK but I don't love it. The first time I saw a snippet of it was a piece on Skate Canada's high performance camp (September 2015?) and I saw Patrick flying across the ice while dancing effortlessly and I thought I'm sold. I find that if I over-analyze the sp then I like it less.

I first became aware of Mack the Knife while watching a Steve Martin comedy bit on Saturday Night Live (couldn't find it on YT) and I later associated it with the caricature of the "Las Vegas lounge lizard act". It wasn't until much later that I started to appreciate singers like Sinatra and Bennett that I started to hear MTK as a serious song - but I still never really cared for it.

4everchan and Vivley has taken my knowledge of MTK to a whole new level! ;)

On a serious note do we have actual confirmation/more news on Patrick's knee? Let's just hope for the best until we hear more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Like skatingfan4ever I wanted to just post something and to thank the ones who have kept it going. :thank:

Count me in for the Louis Armstrong version. The Buble version is a little "peppier" which was maybe what Patrick was going after - a more mainstream MTK. A while back on another forum I saw the question "Can you like a skating program without liking the music?" I like Patrick's MTK but I don't love it. The first time I saw a snippet of it was a piece on Skate Canada's high performance camp (September 2015?) and I saw Patrick flying across the ice while dancing effortlessly and I thought I'm sold. I find that if I over-analyze the sp then I like it less.

I first became aware of Mack the Knife while watching a Steve Martin comedy bit on Saturday Night Live (couldn't find it on YT) and I later associated it with the caricature of the "Las Vegas lounge lizard act". It wasn't until much later that I started to appreciate singers like Sinatra and Bennett that I started to hear MTK as a serious song - but I still never really cared for it.

On a serious note do we have actual confirmation/more news on Patrick's knee? Let's just hope for the best until we hear more.

we don't but... here are my two cents... no news... good news... earlier this fall, people started to say that WEAPO were injured (K) and that they would probably withdraw from a bunch of competitions including GP... it was apparently reported (IINM) by TSL "dave"... ermm... well.... that was the last time we heard about an injury for them.

Patrick may have bruised himself, making it painful to skate one night... but then.. that doesn't mean he won't skate in 3-4 days from now? I fell on my butt recently ;) I am fine but god I couldn't walk the next day HAHA

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I'M BACK TO POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!! I've been lurking for a while because I was doing other things and didn't feel that I had time to contribute meaningfully to the discussion. But I hit "Like" on most of the posts that were written while I was lurking. :laugh: To think, 100 pages ago we were still trying to process what happened in Sochi and looking for any evidence of Patrick smiling and enjoying the rest of his Olympic experience. Look at us now -- celebrating Patrick's "bonus" comeback and discussing his current place in the skating world. Right after the Sochi LP, I was SO SAD because I thought that might be the end of Patrick's competitive career. I'm SO THRILLED to have been wrong about that. :biggrin:

I have a few thoughts about the discussions of late, but I need to organize them in a logical manner so as not to overwhelm you all. In this post, I just wanted to let you know I'm still here and say THANK YOU ALL for keeping this thread active and vibrant and fun and thoughtful and informative. It's pretty much the only source I use for Patrick news now.

Aw, thanks, Skatingfan4ever. I eagerly look forward to your thoughts about our discussions of late! And I am so glad that Patrick decided to come back!

I'm learning, too. I was just looking for one link and I saw another and another on YouTube. Before Patrick's SP, I never even knew that this song existed! Yeah, Louis Armstrong's version is great. Buble crooned the song a little too smoothly so the lyrics don't match the song anymore.