Patrick Chan | Page 235 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh my dear vivley I am listening/watching to cello ascending..... and i have two big NOs!

1) crossover is fine but not when it quotes chopin or classical composers directly ;) we classical purist geeky jerks find this ultimately annoying to the point that I would have to not put any sound on if Patrick skated to something like that.... thankfully his team is so far, staying away from such things... :)

2) regarding chinese vibe... I am worried about this... some people say he is not canadian enough... some people say he is not chinese enough.... and it would perhaps give either group another reason to diss patrick for no real reason... i mean... even yuzu had some detractors for his Seimei not being japanese enough lol
skatingfan4ever
regarding POTO : i agree... still my favourite male version... and yes it is a warhorse... and yes patrick has skated to MANY warhorses but I have the feeling that he is moving away from these....

going back to the O games.... if it were next year, I'd agree with you about keeping the chopin but it's 2 years away... if ever next year's program is not successful, he can bring back the chopin for 2018 but not have it 4 seasons in a row... it's actually a bad thing with everyone including the judges to have the same program for too long.... there is less surprise effect and awe.... less magic.... what we have seen at 4cc WAS SPECIAL.... hopefully we get it at worlds too... but there is never a guarantee that it will bring the same magic... look at TEB 2013... it took me 2.5 years to get teary again watching Patrick skate... as TEB 2013 was so special.... let's hope that I have some tears for 2018 ;) the good kinds ;) I am willing to wait until then ;) even though I am very in agreement with Patrick's decision to skate for beauty and love of skating ... medals being just a bonus....

I am right now trying to decide if I should share a piece of music with you all, that I'd love Patrick to skate on ;)

I'm the same way - sometimes I prefer no commentary, just to watch and study Patrick's performances in detail. At other times, I like to listen to the commentators, especially when they give good comments, or sound so excited. One of my favorites is the B.ESP guys saying that Patrick has been a 3-time World champion, but "he's never skated like that."

Also, one of my favorite little moments in the Chopin LP is that big bounce that is generated when Patrick does a 180 degree flip right before his long glide into the 4T+3T.

No worries, we understand you perfectly fine, Calica. :agree:

The Chopin program has been so strong for him that I wouldn't mind it if he keeps working on it until he maxes out the layout in terms of points. I am more concerned about him going to the Olympics with his best and strongest program, and right now I can't imagine him and DW coming up something that is just as consistent and strong, yet even more difficult and dazzling than this one. But if they can do that, I'm all for it!

That's why I suggested something like "Cello Ascending", which is a combination of a soundtrack (from an Asian-themed movie) and Chopin. If you haven't already, you should see the music video of them playing on the Great Wall of China - I don't know how they got that piano up there!

But I think Patrick would do well with soundtracks and classical crossover pieces (and if they have a bit of Asian flavor, that would be even better for me :biggrin:). He could look into Canadian composer David Foster's works for ideas (David Foster wrote St. Elmo's Fire and produced Michael Buble and Josh Groban's albums).

I also think he could do one program to music like Take Five, and another one to ethereal choral music for a nice contrast in programs. Just my two Canadian dollars.

That's why they need you. You could work on a piece inspired by him and send it to Hugo Chouinard or Kathy, since she has a lot of say in what he does. Or - ask Patrick to star in your music video and put it on YouTube! :love:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As a challenge to all of us (you gotta listen LOL, I have to find it, we have to imagine his edges and lines on the music... ) unfortunately, I won't make music cuts as that requires WAY too much time ;) but I will guide you when necessary... let me know which one you prefer and why ;) (obviously, if I were to do this for REAL, I would refine it MUCH more)

Option 1)LP : String quintet by Schubert. Adagio. this piece is over 13 minutes... extracting 4:30 minutes for a LP is relatively tough so we have to be creative a tad ;)

I would get Patrick skate for about 2- 2:15 minutes of it.... so he can get his 4S, 4T-3T and second 4T out of the way ;) using his incredible smooth skating to gather the speed and flow required for the jumps.... and timing them on the dotted rhythm ;) a spin would certainly go somewhere in there ;) or in transition to the next section

next section would start at about 4:29. step sequence, the 2 3Axels ;) one in combo of course ;) 3lutz-1/2 loop-3salchow, 3loop and 3flip about 1;45-2 minutes of it

so he can close with the slow ending one can hear at the end of it ;) with some elegant spinning, and a few emotional steps to end it ;)

Option 2) Ravel piano concerto mov. 2 here Patrick could either use the first unaccompanied version to do a SP

but I would prefer a LP where we would start with some of the unaccompanied piano for a while, then use the wind entrances at 242 and of course, the gorgeous variations at about 425.... and 5:00... and definitely, the 533 runs in the piano with the english horn solo.... i can just see myself gasping in ecstasy when Patrick skates to this....

the music cuts would be okay to do since the piece is organized by sections.... but yes... it is a slow piece all way through.... which would end with softly, with emotion, rather than a big bang! there is a nice trill at the end to make a beautiful spin...

Option 3) something uplifting to end ? well... not quite... but I can see Patrick flow on this piece... it wouldn't require too much cuts for the LP Fauré Cantique de Jean Racine (to please vivley since she asked for some choral music )

this piece is just a song... so it's easy to imagine the choreography on it as it has normal flow, phrasing, climaxes etc

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know I have promised something uplifting ... you will have to wait for it ;) as the option I thought could work isn't so exciting ;) and now I have to catch up on tv LOL

in the meantime : I'd die if Patrick skated to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tB2SLLnPZg

Brahms 3rd symphony, 3rd movement ;) :luv17:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okay.... the uplifting classical i promised ;)

Schumann's 3rd symphony, 1st mvt.

i just love the opening, so powerful. would need to listen properly to decide what to extract from it as it is about 9 minutes. but that gives you enough of an idea. it has enough slower/softer sections too which makes this perfect for patrick :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I LOVE The Piano Guys and, yes, I think anything by them would be GREAT for Patrick!!! Maybe you could tweet him and tell him that. They have amazing music out there. I had to resist the impulse to click on the Related Videos after watching the one you linked to. :)

Glad you liked it! I also like their rendition of Frozen's "Let it Go", which they mix with Vivaldi's "Winter". IMHO mixing in the Vivaldi gives "Let It Go" that much more oomph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dakd7EIgBE

Now I'll have to think carefully about how to craft that tweet to Patrick to get him to listen to these guys. Thanks!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
NOOOOOOO ;) lol haha after I listened to the cello ascent, it went to the let it go.... NOOO :)

hehe it's okay... for once we can disagree ;) we have been in perfect synch with Patrick "affairs" until now ;)
Glad you liked it! I also like their rendition of Frozen's "Let it Go", which they mix with Vivaldi's "Winter". IMHO mixing in the Vivaldi gives "Let It Go" that much more oomph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dakd7EIgBE

Now I'll have to think carefully about how to craft that tweet to Patrick to get him to listen to these guys. Thanks!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
oh my dear vivley I am listening/watching to cello ascending..... and i have two big NOs!

1) crossover is fine but not when it quotes chopin or classical composers directly ;) we classical purist geeky jerks find this ultimately annoying to the point that I would have to not put any sound on if Patrick skated to something like that.... thankfully his team is so far, staying away from such things... :)

Ah, a purist, then you must not like Josh Groban either... Oh well, vive la différence!

2) regarding chinese vibe... I am worried about this... some people say he is not canadian enough... some people say he is not chinese enough.... and it would perhaps give either group another reason to diss patrick for no real reason... i mean... even yuzu had some detractors for his Seimei not being japanese enough lol

Well, he is both - a Canadian of Chinese heritage, and he can choose to highlight one or both sides in his programs if he wants. But I understand your concern, so how about music composed by a Chinese-Canadian like Alexina Louie?

Here is her piano piece "Warrior" from "Scenes from a Jade Terrace". It's a bit abstract, but it would be something different to skate to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu35gAwemj8

Here's another one called "I Leap Through the Sky With Stars". This one may be more suited to figure skating and the title describes Patrick's performances perfectly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ve0j6iQ9k

Or I wouldn't mind if Patrick skated to Yo-Yo Ma's Bach Cello Suite No.1 - Prelude (or anything else done by Ma):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCicM6i59_I

Will listen to the rest of your suggestions and comment later!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
vivley you are indeed correct. I am a purist... no crossover for me ;) unless it's kurt weill as he was a real classically trained musician bending towards the creation of other genre ;)

regarding alexina louie : she is a well-respected chinese-canadian composer. I am just not sure, how well her music would be suited to the skating world... it might puzzle some fans/judges. Even my really well-known classical pieces might be too abstract...

regarding the chinese-canadian comment, sigh... I am so grateful I wasn't on this forum when the "scandal" came up.... chan had simply said that the chinese federation was much more supportive towards its athletes... and I totally can understand where he was coming from, since personally, I could never do figure skating as my parents couldn't afford it (which probably pleased my dad once in his life that we were very modest as skating was not for guys in his opinion)... well... in any case, here's an article that came out in 2011 talking about it... I hesitated about sharing it as it's old news... but it came up and in case you haven't seen it... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-truth-behind-patrick-chans-china-crisis/article4247715/

I will end with this :

I WOULD LOVE IF PATRICK COULD SKATE ON BACH CELLO SUITES :) YES!!!! for a long period of my life... i woke up and feel asleep to them... they are truly essential in my life. If any skater could do them justice, it would be Patrick.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Haha, 4everchan, now you have me searching and listening to music for half the night! I think I'm beginning to get a better picture of your musical tastes through the links you posted. They are all good, even though my favorite out of those for Patrick to skate to would be the Schumann.

The Fauré Cantique de Jean Racine is very good and somehow reminds me of Josh Groban's "London Hymn." I was thinking of something with more high voices for the ethereal effect. I'll have to find an example of what I'm thinking of.

I know about the controversy that Patrick stirred a few years ago with his comments, but he's older and wiser now so I think he'll be okay. Maybe he can commission Ms. Louie, or better yet, YOU, to compose something just for him.

Okay, Bach Cello Suites it is. :agree: I'm assuming for the SP? Or would you string them together for the LP?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this is what you need if you want choir with high notes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwhkBAeheM

i have personal reasons why i didn't post it there... but truly a gorgeous piece...

cello suites, depending on the movements... well there are 6 if I recall with several dances in each one... so yes, he could make something happen for a LP but i imagine better a SP with them.... they are dances but were not written for dancing, yet keep the metric components.... it would be indeed interesting as they could feature awesome steps.

as far as composing goes, I leave that to others. i just play :)

i have given you a very small sample ;) i already felt i was going too far and didn't want to burden the thread... maybe one day i will share only NON -classical pieces ;)
Haha, 4everchan, now you have me searching and listening to music for half the night! I think I'm beginning to get a better picture of your musical tastes through the links you posted. They are all good, even though my favorite out of those for Patrick to skate to would be the Schumann.

The Fauré Cantique de Jean Racine is very good and somehow reminds me of Josh Groban's "London Hymn." I was thinking of something with more high voices for the ethereal effect. I'll have to find an example of what I'm thinking of.

I know about the controversy that Patrick stirred a few years ago with his comments, but he's older and wiser now so I think he'll be okay. Maybe he can commission Ms. Louie, or better yet, YOU, to compose something just for him.

Okay, Bach Cello Suites it is. :agree: I'm assuming for the SP? Or would you string them together for the LP?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yes, Agnus Dei is indeed gorgeous; thank you for the link. Somehow I can now picture a music video with Patrick skating on a rink inside an old cathedral, with sunlight streaming in and shining on him...

I don't mind all the posts about music - it's interesting topics like these that keep this thread going while we await Patrick's next spectacular performance. :) I'll also have you know that I am now a proud supporting member of the last classical music station remaining in my area. Good night!