Patrick Chan | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Great video:

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/brightcovevideo/190566

Your assignment: Figure out who his current girlfriend is.

The reporter pretended she couldn't skate so she could hold on to Patrick who was all gentlemanly about it until he realized she could skate. ;)

Ohhhhhhhhh, cute interview!:thumbsup: A typical cute Patrick Chan! He said he didn't feel comfortable to tell things about his girlfriend, then he said that much about her.:laugh: Wish him all the best!:love:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Ohhhhhhhhh, cute interview!:thumbsup: A typical cute Patrick Chan! He said he didn't feel comfortable to tell things about his girlfriend, then he said that much about her.:laugh: Wish him all the best!:love:

You can't expect too much from him when it comes to keeping a secret. I think he did a good job - at least he didn't give out her name, unlike he had done before! :laugh:

Boeing787

On the Ice
eta. BTW, there is an agreement for Ly to design Patrick's costumes up to Sochi Olympics. So far, I like what he's done, unique, often a combination of quirks and classiness. The Aranjuez costume, e.g., stands out among all the blacks this season, with an air of elegance and superior quality, much like the champion. I also like his quirkiness as a balance to Patrick's usual basic classic look, like the extra flourish and quality in his classical skating style.

I don't like the costume he desigend for Take Five. It's simply weird. As to the Aranjuez costume, I see elegance in the shirt, yet quirks in the pants.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope whoever designs his or anyone's skating costumes that they remember they are costumes - to add to the flavour and theme of the routine and yet allow for the athletic moves Hence the fact that Evan Lycacek has had Dior and Vera Wang design for him predisposes that because they are fashion designers that makes them good costume designers. This is not true. Looking nice versus creating a mood or theme is very different. ONe would hope that Vera being a former figure skaer would be able to design costumes but I think her stuff tends to be rather fashionable than a costume. I never did quite understand Chan's Take 5 look.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Beyond the deadline: 5 reasons to love sport (in Canada :))

Figure skating

There are about three weeks to go until the world figure skating championships in Nice, France get underway and Canada is the leader of the pack. In two of the four disciplines, this country's skaters are favourites to win the gold medal.

Patrick Chan is far and away the best male competitor on the planet, and every time he takes to the ice he has the ability to elevate his game. As the outstanding coach Doug Leigh told me on a recent visit to the Mariposa International Centre in Barrie, Ont., Chan is already making history.

"He's certainly one of the best if not the best of all time," Leigh said. "He's a winner, and more importantly he's a leader."

Meantime, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are back on their collective game in the ice dance and their rivalry with training partners Meryl Davis and Charlie White of the United States is heating up. It may be one of the greatest match-ups in figure skating history, and the best thing about it is they force each other to be better.

On Ice Network, Joshua Ferris credits Patrick Chan for his lead at Worlds Junior Men's event:

The skater, who won bronze behind U.S. teammate Jason Brown and Yan at the Junior Grand Prix Final in December, fell on his triple Axel at the U.S. championships and placed 16th overall. Whatever troubled him there is long forgotten, and he gives some of the credit to his training partner, world champion Patrick Chan.

"The daily practice at home with Patrick and our [primary] coach, Christy Krall, certainly inspires me every morning," said Farris, who is accompanied in Minsk by coach Damon Allen. "Patrick is always in a good mood."

I remember him naming Patrick as his idol before, who might have had a part to do with Ferris switching to Krall as his coach.

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
[On Ice Network, Joshua Ferris credits Patrick Chan for his lead at Worlds Junior Men's event:
Oh, good luck to him!

About Patrick's costumes, to be honest, I'm not that impressed with Tu LY's works. I like the one of Aranjuez for Japan Open the best, too bad Patrick only used it once.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh, good luck to him!

About Patrick's costumes, to be honest, I'm not that impressed with Tu LY's works. I like the one of Aranjuez for Japan Open the best, too bad Patrick only used it once.

That was likely one of Patrick's old costumes from a few years back. I guess spandex fits for ever. :)

I like that Tu Ly's costumes stand out by design rather than the usual fussiness and over loaded sequins. I appreciate the quality of the Aranjuez costume and, seeing all the black on black by just about everybody else this season, don't miss the JO one.

fscric

On the Ice
It was Patrick's old costume? He can definitely recycle this one, stylish!

It's not that I don't like the real costume for Aranjuez, I like the top but the pant can do without the red stripes or should have made them more subtle.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It's not that I don't like the real costume for Aranjuez, I like the top but the pant can do without the red stripes or should have made them more subtle.

I like Patrick's red shirt too. Still hate the red stripes on the pants. Now I think of it, I think JO's black Aranjuez comstume is more Chinese than Spanish. So the red shirt is a better one. The red, full of detailed shirt with plain black pants will be simple but elegant. I generally do not like Tu Ly's design.

spikydurian

Medalist
Me too.... I like the red top especially the plunging neckline allowing us (particularly Boeing 787) to ogle at Patrick's chest!:biggrin: Patrick looks sexy and hot in red.:love:
Yeah, the red stripes on his pants are a wee bit too much. I do like his Take Five costume. Hmmm... casual, young and jazzy feel like the music.
I don't like feathers and sequins. Too distracting.
Talking about costumes to suit music .... remember watching a video which SF posted ... 2010 Olympics where one figure skater (sorry, cannot remember his name) wore a 'skeleton' costume. :eek: Reminds me of Halloween.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I do like his Take Five costume. Hmmm... casual, young and jazzy feel like the music.

I think his Take Five costume has nothing special but it fits the music, so it's OK.

Talking about costumes to suit music .... remember watching a video which SF posted ... 2010 Olympics where one figure skater (sorry, cannot remember his name) wore a 'skeleton' costume. :eek: Reminds me of Halloween.

Kevin Van Der Perren. Kevin has always had quirky costumes and blackish music. That was why I don't really like him even though I admire his longivity. He just keeps going, and going, and going...:)

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Me too.... I like the red top especially the plunging neckline allowing us (particularly Boeing 787) to ogle at Patrick's chest!:biggrin: Patrick looks sexy and hot in red.:love:
Yeah, the red stripes on his pants are a wee bit too much. I do like his Take Five costume. Hmmm... casual, young and jazzy feel like the music.
I don't like feathers and sequins. Too distracting.

Hey, I don't want to be remembered for that!:disapp::biggrin:
The reason I dislike the take 5 costume is that it has too many details. Say the sequins on the pants and vest, the white stripes on the collar of the vest, and the folds on the shirt .... get rid of them! They don't fit the theme of the music! Jeff Buttle skated Take 5 before, I like his costume much better.

eta. And the sleeves! why not make a short sleeve shirt instead of having Patrick roll up the sleeves? It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess male skaters are to be scrutinized just as much as ladies LOL. Yep, Kevin Vander Perrin married to Jenna McCorkell was known for his unique costumes including the skeleton. Think spandex - he seems to like tight fitting costumes.. Patrick's costumes are fine; very few men make huge positive fashion statements ; they are kind of like the picture frame to the bride lol. And when they do make an impact it isn't usually known for being classsy or tasteful - in short, if a guy's costume stands out it is usually not a good thing. It's hard because a black outfit or a tuxedo look while classy is not often the look to help with interpretation. I am not a big fan of showing a lot of flesh no matter how muscular you are. Some modesty I think is called for. chan could always wear a black pair of pants, open tuxedo shirt with cuff links and the "standard" untied bow tie sewn on the shirt for Take 5 - I think that was sort of his look last year.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I guess male skaters are to be scrutinized just as much as ladies LOL. Yep, Kevin Vander Perrin married to Jenna McCorkell was known for his unique costumes including the skeleton. Think spandex - he seems to like tight fitting costumes.. Patrick's costumes are fine; very few men make huge positive fashion statements ; they are kind of like the picture frame to the bride lol. And when they do make an impact it isn't usually known for being classsy or tasteful - in short, if a guy's costume stands out it is usually not a good thing. It's hard because a black outfit or a tuxedo look while classy is not often the look to help with interpretation. I am not a big fan of showing a lot of flesh no matter how muscular you are. Some modesty I think is called for. chan could always wear a black pair of pants, open tuxedo shirt with cuff links and the "standard" untied bow tie sewn on the shirt for Take 5 - I think that was sort of his look last year.

Actually Patrick's both costumes in 2009 worlds were pretty decent. Jeff Buttle's costume in 2008 worlds was good too.

spikydurian

Medalist
Hey, I don't want to be remembered for that!:!
Too late. Each time I look at Patrick's chest, I think of my 'virtual GS friend, Boeing 787'!:laugh:
Certainly I agree too that Tu Ly's designs border on quirkiness. Hopefully, Patrick will ask him to tone the Q down. Can't imagine Patrick wearing quirky costumes ..somehow it just doesn't fit his personality. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
eta. And the sleeves! why not make a short sleeve shirt instead of having Patrick roll up the sleeves? It doesn't make sense.

Personally, I like the roll up sleeves much more than short sleeves on men. It seems more handsome.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like the rolled up sleeves - better than a rolled up snake around your neck designed by Vera Wang lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep I was thinking of Evan, at least Patty's costumes look like they are costumes - referring to the program. I wonder some time if Vera Wang costumes are really "Oh wow, I'm wearing the famous designer Vera Wang's work so it must be artistic, so it must be attractive so it must be interpretative of the music because it is by the great Vera Wang and oh so expensive"