Patrick Chan | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Globe And Mail: Patrick Chan looking to add to skating legacy
“I almost don't want to watch him because it's too depressing. It's too good,” Cranston said.
:biggrin:

“Patrick Chan has literally — with Kurt, Elvis, Brian, me — he's literally left us buried in the dust. There has never really been anything like him. What he is is the absolute quintessential mixture of artist and sportsman.

“I don't think I could watch him skate live, I'd commit suicide out of depression at how good he is,” Cranston added, erupting in loud laughter.

Orser said:
“He likes to show the control of his edges and the different leaps and things that go with the music,” Orser said. “I wouldn't let a beat go by — if there was some kind of crescendo or something in the music, I had to do something. It didn't have to be a triple Axel, it could be some kind of a kick, or leap or accent on the music, and that's what Patrick does.

“He makes us listen to the music and appreciate the music.”

You see some artistic skaters and experts think that Patrick is quite good at artistry.

Browning, a four-time world champion, said it's difficult to describe what he admires most in Chan's skating — they're the subtle things more easily appreciated by his peers than the average fan.

This is the problem. ISU has an urgent task on educating people.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Browning, a four-time world champion, said it's difficult to describe what he admires most in Chan's skating — they're the subtle things more easily appreciated by his peers than the average fan.

Two pages back, in post #554, I wrote

I think he does enough of the generally recognized "showmanship" in his exhibition programs and his competitive programs are of the sophisticated and sublime genre.

"Sublime" is what I label his artistry. Sublime is hard for the general public to grasp. At least most judges get it.

emdee

Final Flight
And the naysayers will say......

Today I even read somewhere that transitions and difficult entries are not important and shouldnt be marked so high. People will say anything in a quest to reduce Patrick's marks. What they dont get is that it will just be another challenge for Patrick to answer them back.

I know he had the quad before the Olys but he really answered his detractors back last year when he came back with two quads. His quads are a thing of beauty.

GO PATRICK

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
But the outfit I linked to (for Boeing, :laugh: ) and just referred to was neither colourful nor sissy. It was black and gray and pretty macho, even if cheesy, showing off Patrick's chest. He wore an open shirt over a scooped neck vest, plus pants of course, in black.

Maybe you can get a glimpse with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_6UNMp7ec#t=105s

Yeah, he should use this one for his Mannish Boy number.:agree:

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yeah, he should use this one for his Mannish Boy number.:agree:

I agree with this. This is much better than his white T-shirt. I hate skaters wear jeans when they skate. They made them look dragged, sloppy, and heavy.

Last edited:
This just goes to show how variety is the spice of life. By contrast, I love jeans and a T-shirt on a male skater, especially one who's partnering someone. To me jeans look casual, powerful, and jazzy. Paul Martini was the best exemplar of how good jeans looked on a skate guy. Gene Kelly often danced in jeans because he wanted to convey the idea that dance wasn't highbrow or sissy but was something that an ordinary guy could appreciate and maybe even do.

I'm not trying to convert you, Bluebonnet, but just showing what a broad range of tastes there are in the world. I've always enjoyed well-cut, neat jeans in everyday life and on the ice as well.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I've always enjoyed well-cut, neat jeans in everyday life and on the ice as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed jeans in daily life. I actually love them. But when it comes down to ice skating, I absolutely hate them on anyone, whether they were on Lambiel or on Abbott or on Chan. Well, different strokes for different folks.:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The overshirt makes it somewhat metro for Mannish Boy. It's better for a more flowing type of program. A better fitting T-shirt would be nice though. Hey, Tess, this is on you.

Boeing787

On the Ice
The overshirt makes it somewhat metro for Mannish Boy. It's better for a more flowing type of program. A better fitting T-shirt would be nice though. Hey, Tess, this is on you.
Why can't a Mannish Boy be metro? In fact Patrick is more fitting for the image of a metro boy than that of a country boy.

eta. the exposed chest proves that he is indeed a mannish boy. :biggrin:

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
But the outfit I linked to (for Boeing, :laugh: ) and just referred to was neither colourful nor sissy. It was black and gray and pretty macho, even if cheesy, showing off Patrick's chest. He wore an open shirt over a scooped neck vest, plus pants of course, in black.

Maybe you can get a glimpse with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_6UNMp7ec#t=105s
Oops .. :eek:: sorry I thought you were referring to the pink, green and yellow tights and scarfs costumes.
Nay, I don't like this one either. Something is not quite right. Maybe Patrick's chest is not muscular or hairy enough. :biggrin: I agree with Olympia. I don't mind the Mannish Boy outfit. I think it just suits him. Nothing too sexy (I honestly think sexy.. (will reserve this for Stephane Lambiel ;) ).. is not the right description for Patrick .. more boyish charm attractiveness. Hence the simple tee and jeans just suit him well and the music. To look nice in tight tee, he needs a bit of muscle and broad shoulders to carry it well.
Too bad he put a towel around himself in the recent (bathroom shot) video with Kurt (Hey, Boeing 787 did you miss anything???... you know what I am talking about).
Shall we all write to Tu Ly to give him our suggestions? Unfortunately, I don't think Tess will be designing costumes for Patrick ... or perhaps I am wrong .... maybe the agreement with Tu Ly does not cover Galas?
SF +++, will look forward to your real time comments during the Worlds. I couldn't access Icenetwork as it's only for USA residents. :cry:

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
In fact I like Patrick's (and Asian men's) hairless chest. It's muscular but not an over kill, which shows why he is a mannish boy.

Based on his necklace, ring and looks, the bathroom vid was made when he was around 18. Have to say he had more hair back then. Yeah, I wish I could remove the towel!:laugh:

It's funny the interviewer called Patrick a sex symbol. I never thought him that way. He is so naive and boyish, I always consider him just a talented kid. And he is, he had to look at his mom before he answered that sex symbol question!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Here's a Patrickcentric vid of All That Skate finale so Boeing and Bluebonnet can have a closer look at his, er, costume. Now, where's the bathroom video with Kurt?

Patrick appears in various parts of this video about Kozuka and Yuka, my favorite part is at 3:35. No seen here but I always remember how Patrick, on top of the Worlds podium last year with a big smile, looked over at Kozuka receiving his medal and cracked an even bigger smile. He was so happy for his friend Koz.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Here's a Patrickcentric vid of All That Skate finale so Boeing and Bluebonnet can have a closer look at his, er, costume. Now, where's the bathroom video with Kurt?

Patrick appears in various parts of this video about Kozuka and Yuka, my favorite part is at 3:35. No seen here but I always remember how Patrick, on top of the Worlds podium last year with a big smile, looked over at Kozuka receiving his medal and cracked an even bigger smile. He was so happy for his friend Koz.

3w.globalnews.ca/video/index.html?v=Pv_P4zqwXTmg91C8HTkLLAIY_dJLNAq6#video

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Ah, now I can firmly say that I don't like this "tank top like" vest! Too low in front that has touched my :eek: button. I'd rather watch him from the back with his shirt on. In that way, he looked manly and sexy. I changed my mind, he can keep that Mannish Boy T-shirt.:biggrin:

What bathroom video? Bring it here fast!:laugh:

Last edited:

blainechan

Match Penalty
Big Patrick Chan fan here :)
I hope he will break more records to win the World again.
It's so great to read all those great skaters are gushing over PC. It's a joke that some people think PC doesn't have artistry. PC's artistry is subtle, elegant and classic. Good luck Patrick!