Patrick Chan | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Host: "Women love you!"
Patrick: "Mmmm....and I love them back!"

"My mom is my manager and my dad....is the CEO of my company" XD that was so funny haha

:laugh:

And who says he wouldn't make it in politics?! Quick thinking and cute too. ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I actually think Patrick is quicker and have much more sense in choosing the right words than an average 21 year old. But a politician? Nay, I agree he is too honest and transparent to be a politician.:biggrin: A lawyer like his dad might be a good career for him since he is gifted in speaking.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick is not naturally gifted in speaking. It's another area he has improved greatly - articulation. I guess it's part of growing up and maturing. He used to be somewhat inarticulate with words but relied on his genuine and jovial demeanor to get some of his points across, thus being liable to malicious spins in written reports. But he was so young and suddenly dealing with journalists of different genres and intentions. Besides his chronological and physical growth, his experiences as an elite athlete traveling all over the world and meeting the public and the media regularly have contributed much to his precocious maturity of today. I think he is now nicely balanced between being natural, sincere, and honest, yet assertive and in control of the conversation in a humble humorous manner. Not perfect yet, probably never will be just like all people, but he handles himself with class, expressing himself well in all kinds of situations most people his age are not able to deal with.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Let the boy skate; he can decide whether he wants to be a politician or whatever later. I hear Mcdonald's is always hiring and they like him there.

spikydurian

Medalist
And sublime.

Welcome, blainechan.
:thumbsup: Yeah, welcome blainechan to our mad, hilarious, funny Patrick-ubering thread. BTW, you are not related to Mr Chan are you? ;) Or it's just that Chan is such a common family name like Jones, Brown and of course Dai-Chan, Kozuka-Chan, Nathan Chen/Chan ...

spikydurian

Medalist
Based on his necklace, ring and looks, the bathroom vid was made when he was around 18.
Holy cow ... did you freeze and blew up the vid to scrutinize his chest? I didn't notice he was wearing a necklace and ring ;)

Yeah, I wish I could remove the towel!
Don't think Mrs Chan will approve! :laugh:

It's funny the interviewer called Patrick a sex symbol. I never thought him that way. He is so naive and boyish, I always consider him just a talented kid. And he is, he had to look at his mom before he answered that sex symbol question!
Agree. He looked embarrassed too!

On a serious and honest (like Patrick) note, I was first intrigued by this talented kid with the oldest coach. Watched his current and past skating vids and enjoyed watching the 'growth' in his skating. Although some people may think he is politically incorrect, I see his comments as naive honesty but never never with malice, sarcasm and intention to hurt. In fact for a 'boy' his age, some of his comments were introspective. I am happy that he did not give up after the 2010 Olympics for I can further enjoy his skating and watch him grow. To Mr and Mrs Chan I say, 'he is not only talented but a fine young man'. Well brought up. I can only hope the best is yet to come for Patrick.:love:

Last edited:

trains

On the Ice
Thanks! It's a great breakdown of his program and a good reference for understanding all programs. :)
The clock only starts when the skater/s move. Sometimes, in order to stay within the time limits for the program, they will wait through an introduction of the music before they move because the music sounds better as it was performed, and might sound jarring or odd if it was edited down to fit the time limit.
This is both entertaining and educational! Many thanks to Toronto Star and trains!:clap::thumbsup:

I do have a question though. I thought the clock starts when the music starts, instead of when he moves.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
To be correct Gachinski has balanced program, 4 jumps + 4 jumps and Chan has back loaded program, 3 jumps+ 5 jumps
Plus Gachinski does two 3A, and Chan doesn't

If you are referring to the program breakdown page, the program pacing of the programs is on distribution of technical points, not number of jumps. Patrick, e.g. had 3 jumps of highest values in the first half and 5 "minor" jumps in the later, evenning out his TES opportunities, or as written:

Scores equal technical points in each half.

This is how Gachinski's program is described:

Artur Gachinski, 18, runner-up in Russian and European championships. Heir apparent to Plushenko, trained by the same coach with the same front-loading strategy. Starts with his four top-scoring jumps, including two quads and two triple axels and leaves the choreography for later.

Daisuke, Jeremy, and Fernandez are included in the back loaded group. I assume their assessments are based on planned choreographies as actual points scored in actual performances vary.

Last edited:
What I like abput Patrick is that he sees the big picture. He doesn't seem to care so much about the particular scores he receives or contests he wins. He wants to make figure skating a better sport because of his achievements and contributions.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He's in a bit of conflict as he has expressed his wishes to take up different skills in a different life after skating as well as continuing to contribute to figure skating instead of just leaving with his medals. I think he is not interested in making a living with figure skating but wants to promote the sport and nurture/mentor young talents. I hope he finds a happy balance. I've always liked what his mother said, "He can excel in something else too."