Patrick Chan | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

That's interesting, SF. In that way he sounds a bit like Michelle Kwan. He doesn't want to walk completely away from the skating world, but unlike Kurt or Kristi or Katarina Witt, he doesn't want to spend his entire adult life as a skater. He might want to go to university and investigate something like law or business, as Dick Button and Paul Wylie have done, respectively. If he gets such a degree, he can use it in some way in the skating field, either as a main career or as a sideline. (For example, he could open a rink or a training center as the Kwan family did.) Or he can pursue an entirely different career and maybe set up a foundation that helps support talented young skaters.

Whichever path he chooses, I see a bright future for Patrick.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think he wants to influence figure skating on a more global basis, rather than running an operation such as opening a training centre or setting up a foundation to benefit a few. By global I don't mean the whole world but an overall effect, maybe by inspiration, upping the standard of skating, raising the profile of and interest in the sport, encouraging and enabling more participation, finding and nurturing young talents, etc. He has started by raising the bar, hopefully winning more Worlds and an Olympics Gold, making his statements and his mark changing the sport, and having some influential power after active competition. However, I don't see him taking a post in a skating organization such as Skate Canada or ISU if he would be having a career outside figure skating. In any case, he will be a future elder statesman of figure skating. Funny to say that about a 21 year old. :)

He seems open to help establish figure skating in some other countries . However, I don't want to create more controversies for him by reporting all I read.

As for his career choices, I think he wants a completely different challenge, with an eye on financial returns since he has cost his family so much already. I don't see him choosing his studies with the goal of integrating figure skating into his new career.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Cam Cole: Patrick Chan has a long way to go

Skating greats see talents and greatness. Hard nosed journalists want numbers and titles. Fans? :laugh:

It'd be interesting if he splits his training between CS and Toronto after this Worlds. He seems to be always looking for motivation and to keep things fresh.

Kurt found out how huge Patrick skated when he choreographed Viva La Vida for him despite having always said Patrick skated huge. I also noticed Patrick used to head out far ahead of the line in shows dragging those he held hands with and had to slow down. He has learned to hold back to stay in line but still often he will be out front before he tries to reign it in.

Canada's Patrick Chan says he might not be skating if not for move to Colorado

Editors have funny ways of writing headlines for emphasis. Why rehash the fuzzy past when there are interesting points about his current training and future plans?

It is great to have the pre Olympics Worlds at home with a hometown hero. Patrick is seeing the opportunity to re-popularize figure skating in Canada.

Last edited:

blainechan

Match Penalty
:thumbsup: Yeah, welcome blainechan to our mad, hilarious, funny Patrick-ubering thread. BTW, you are not related to Mr Chan are you? ;) Or it's just that Chan is such a common family name like Jones, Brown and of course Dai-Chan, Kozuka-Chan, Nathan Chen/Chan ...

Maybe, maybe not, you will have to figure it out yourself ;)

Becki

Medalist
Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
When someone asks for permission, it's usually because he knows he should not do something and counts on the other person to stop him. Patrick knew he should not have that pizza after the chickpea pancake. (Actually, chickpeas are high in protein.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is Nice, not Torino. I thought Patrick wanted to eat escargot, even make a meal of it after the competition, with French bread and garlic butter. Yum.

Remember how he cleverly answered the question of his favorite food at 2010 Worlds? In Italy his favorite foods were pizza and lasagna.

I also read that this would be the first time he will finish the competition darker than when he starts it because he was walking about in sunny Nice. Good for him. But he was the darkest when he returned from Singapore and the tan lasted for months. Poor skaters are always so pale.

I also miss his travel videos. They were a lot of fun.

Angela V

Rinkside
I'm giving Patrick my best wishes! My husband, my kids and I will be up in the morning to watch live on tv.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Also, did anyone notice he was practising his dance to the music, Hallelujah in an earlier video. Wonder whether that is a gala piece? or .. just a practice background music? I like that song. ;)

Hallelujah was one of Joubert's ex., and one of my all time favorite ex. numbers! I love that music. It'll be great if Chan could do it.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Hi! This is my first post on this thread.
I've been his big fan for more than 4 years. It was a love at first-sight!
I happened to see his performance in TEB on TV in 2007 and then realized I was looking at a future world champion.
I could not believe he was sixteen and master of skating .

BTW Patrick did a good job, handling his pressure well in spite of his visible nervousness.
Since last season, his mental toughness has been so impressive.
I'm sure he will show us a best performance today.

Yesterday Shizuka and Takeshi Honda spoke highly of his strength despite of his mistakes on Japanese TV, saying he could deliver such a program even when he was clearly not in top form.
Shizuka also add he's been always trying his best in every competition and many skaters admire his attitude so much.

Go Patrick!
We Japanese fan will cheering from Japan!

spikydurian

Medalist
Hi! This is my first post on this thread.
I've been his big fan for more than 4 years. It was a love at first-sight!
I happened to see his performance in TEB on TV in 2007 and then realized I was looking at a future world champion.
I could not believe he was sixteen and master of skating .

BTW Patrick did a good job, handling his pressure well in spite of his visible nervousness.
Since last season, his mental toughness has been so impressive.
I'm sure he will show us a best performance today.

Yesterday Shizuka and Takeshi Honda spoke highly of his strength despite of his mistakes on Japanese TV, saying he could deliver such a program even when he was clearly not in top form.
Shizuka also add he's been always trying his best in every competition and many skaters admire his attitude so much.

Go Patrick!
We Japanese fan will cheering from Japan!

Thank you Aprilsnowy for your kind words. It is heartening to know that we can be bi-partisan in admiring different skaters. I like Dai and Kozuku too. Felt so so sad for Kozuka yesterday. And Hanyu is an upcoming talent whom I think we (outside Japan) will be hearing of a lot of in coming years.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Thank you Aprilsnowy for your kind words. It is heartening to know that we can be bi-partisan in admiring different skaters. I like Dai and Kozuku too. Felt so so sad for Kozuka yesterday. And Hanyu is an upcoming talent whom I think we (outside Japan) will be hearing of a lot of in coming years.

I thank you for your kindness.
To tell the truth, I am not very patriotic, always cheering for Patrick, a big rival for Japanese skaters.
We have a lot of great male skaters in Japan, but Patrick is simply the best of all for me.
I believe he is not just a gem in Canada, but in the figure skating world.