Patrick Chan | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

fscric

On the Ice
Congratulations to Patrick! 2 time World Champion. I was so nervous I didn't check anything until I was sure the competition was over. When I saw there are 2 deductions in his protocol, I thought he has 2 falls until I realized much later that one of them is for overtime. Reading the outcry I thought he gave a horrible skate, LOL. He's such a fighter, can't imagine the pressure he was under trying to defend the title and it showed on his face when he was skating around before he started the programme. But what beautiful quads!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan may soon find it's easier to be a chaser than the chased. Hanyu is only 18 and he's won a medal on his first try at Worlds. He has the quad and will probably expand his quad repertoire. Once he gets better choreography and improves his presentation, he will be a serious challenger for the Sochi OGM.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Hanyu had a good lp but bad stamina and could be a headcase as well i thought he was overscored on pcs for what he put out.

fscric

On the Ice
Thanks for alerting us, we'll just enjoy it while it lasts, after all, all good things will come to an end.

Chan may soon find it's easier to be a chaser than the chased. Hanyu is only 18 and he's won a medal on his first try at Worlds. He has the quad and will probably expand his quad repertoire. Once he gets better choreography and improves his presentation, he will be a serious challenger for the Sochi OGM.

Becki

Medalist
Hanyu had a good lp but bad stamina and could be a headcase as well i thought he was overscored on pcs for what he put out.

Hanyu has showed tremendous improvement this past season, and he finally got the 3S. His "bad" stamina is due to his asthma, and he is physically weak too (he's trying to work on that!). I don't think he's a "headcase", as you can tell, he is fighting throughout his programs, even after the fluke fall!

Boeing787

On the Ice
We have a lot of great male skaters in Japan, but Patrick is simply the best of all for me.
I believe he is not just a gem in Canada, but in the figure skating world.

So true. Welcome! BTW, I am soooo happy for the Japanese men's skaters today. Particularly for Hanyu, he will have a bright future.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Patrick's performance was tight today, he was simply too nervous knowing other skaters did so well. Thank goodness his three big jumps were so well excecuted that saved him in the end. I don't think he knew he had won after he finished as I didn't see any celebration gesture. He still needs to work hard if he wants to win the gold in Sochi - I am pretty sure he will. Next year he might need to add another quad. If not, at least another 3A which I think is a piece of cake now that his 3A is so consistent.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Patrick and his fans on his gold medal! His hard work at perfecting his 4T and 3A really paid off for him today.

spikydurian

Medalist
To tell the truth, I am not very patriotic, always cheering for Patrick, a big rival for Japanese skaters.
We have a lot of great male skaters in Japan, but Patrick is simply the best of all for me.
I believe he is not just a gem in Canada, but in the figure skating world.

You are too humble and nice! I think it's Patrick's fortune to have fans like you. Patrick did mention in a interview how he was wowed by the depth of Japanese skaters when he last performed in Japan. Dai, Hanyu and Kozuka are all brilliant skaters too but it's just not Kozuka's days the last two days. He put on such a brave face despite his under performance. Patrick will have to work very hard to keep ahead as there are so many upcoming brilliant skaters particularly from Japan. ;) But like in every competition, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Patrick's performance was tight today, he was simply too nervous knowing other skaters did so well. Thank goodness his three big jumps were so well excecuted that saved him in the end. I don't think he knew he had won after he finished as I didn't see any celebration gesture. He still needs to work hard if he wants to win the gold in Sochi - I am pretty sure he will. Next year he might need to add another quad. If not, at least another 3A which I think is a piece of cake now that his 3A is so consistent.

Yes, B787. He must work very hard to solidify his consistency (and not put us his fans on the edge all the time .. pity us :laugh:) and his other jumps. His brilliant skating skills saved the day. He seemed to be lacking stamina in Nice compared to Nationals. Duh ... must be all the pizza, sight-seeing and sleeping late. We must tell Mrs Chan to shoo him to bed early.:biggrin:Very relieved for Patrick.

Watching competitions can be stressful though exciting too .. especially when I see the skaters fall and I go 'oh no, ouch, **** and oh yeah' ..all the time. I wish I live in North America B787 so that it's easier for me to watch these competitions live. But I just have to contend with watching on t.v. from Oz. (Psst.. maybe I should have moved to Canada decades ago .. I nearly did). ;)

The next generation of brilliant male skaters to challenge the current crop like Patrick, Dai, Kozuka, Jeremy and even the semi-retired ones who may reappear for Sochi like Evans and Plushy, will fall on Hanyu and his likes in Japan, Nan Song and his other compatriot (sorry forgot his name and too lazy to check) and maybe a couple from USA. I won't write off Gashinki although he didn't do well this time. I feel so sorry for Fernandez. He has the potential to win.

Oh well.... a bit of quietness till the next Grand Prix season. It must be raining hell from Chan-haters on the other thread. :biggrin: Since I joined these forums, I am shocked to find the things people can say over open internet. There are no rules to civil behavior .... the flip side of internet. I always caution my kids to be careful of what they write on FB and the likes especially if they wish to be President or Prime Minister some day (just kidding). You never know. A silly action today maybe tomorrow's regret. Having said that, I have enjoyed Patrick-ubering with you all .. always do. Such a humorous, fun and hilarious lot. Sometimes I feel I am getting to know you all well too.

Last edited:

flaneur

On the Ice
Congratulations Patrick on title #2!

After watching some of the clips of his training I think he may be the hardest worker in skating... totally inspirational :)

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Our Patrick did a fine job today of defending his title, but honorable mention goes to Kevin Reynolds as well who along with Patrick enables 3 Canadian men to compete next year.....may they make the best use of it.

I heard about the booing and am thoroughly disgusted with the French (I've been led to believe) and possibly the Japanese fans for doing that. It shows meanness beyond belief and is a true display of poor sportsmanship. This is figure skating not soccer.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has good things to say about Nice and his competition experiences in this GS article

Chan wins second consecutive World title

And it is so touching that he pays tribute to Mr.Colson:

The timing could not have been better either.

“I am not sure if you are familiar with the name of Mr. (Osborne) Colson, but it is his birthday today,” said Chan of his now deceased former coach. “He was the man who taught me how to skate and the reason why I am getting the components scores I am getting today. There are not going to be many competitions timed so perfectly. To win the second World title on his birthday… none of this would have happened if it was not for him.”

:teary eyes:

amateur

Final Flight
^^^^ Just rewatched his free skate. This probably explains the little sending a kiss skywards gesture he did at the end of the performance.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^^^ Just rewatched his free skate. This probably explains the little sending a kiss skywards gesture he did at the end of the performance.
Oh yes indeed come to think of it, amateur. I thought the gesture was related to the crowd. There you are... SF, I am teary eyed too. I remember reading that prior to the WC 2011 competition, he visited Colson's grave before he departed for Moscow. He obviously love and look up to Colson like a grandfather. I have always been mystified how a young kid brought up in modern times could get along with a coach (old kungfu master style ... as described by Mr Chan) ie. serious, grumpy and demanding.:laugh:

He talked about 'talking to Colson at the grave like he used to do and Colson would always just mumble while he kept talking'. That statement brought tears to my eyes and I think some of us can relate to it for I have personally done that in front of my parent's grave.

I think the ultimate gesture of gratitude, respect and love for the man who guided and believed in Patrick, can come in a form of a book on Patrick's achievement journey particularly with Colson, with the sales going into a special fund dedicated in Colson's name and for assisting gifted kids(on needs-basis) to have a chance in getting good coaching to be a figure skating competitor? Patrick has already started a scholarship under Colson's name right, SF?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I can't find it now but I wrote a post about Patrick's Aranjuez when it was first performed and swept me away with the music and the emotions it conveyed. Patrick chose the music because he loved it and related to it. So I wondered how a young happy person like him related so much to loss and sadness in life. I thought of his Olympic debacle but more about Mr. Colson, his old coach who was like a grandfather to him. I feel the raising of his arms heavenwards before the ending spin was a gesture of tribute, a spiritual surrender, before the ending pose of triumph. Whether or not Aranjuez was chosen and choreographed with Mr. Colson in his heart, I am very glad and moved that he won his second Worlds title on Mr. Colson's birthday and that it means so much to Patrick.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

emdee

Final Flight
What a day it has been. I worked myself into a tizzy when watching the competition -almost didnt watch Patrick and then faced my fears and watched. Just when I relaxed he had that crazy fall and then the music thing.
Main thing is that he won. One more comp - but I am out of town so will have to see the performaces when I get back.
But Gala tomorrow at 8 am so will be up bright and early another day.