Patrick Chan | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I must admit, Patrick Chan impressed the heck out of me with this EX. Probably the most mature and fully artistically realised program he has ever done. It couldn't come at a better time to silent the critics. Is he the best singles skater in the world currently competing? I think he just might :p [Even if he has bad days.. and his marks should be reflective of that]

Patrick although not the most natural musically gifted or expressive skaters around, his hard work to improve in this area everytime he stepped on ice is obvious to me. This latest Ex solidified him as the classic leading man role, gorgeous lines, speed, flow, mesmerizing, superbly controlled. Gorgeous piece of work. Well done!!!! Now hopefully he can get some sponsors so he can continue the good work.

Of course, he is!!!!!!:bow:

I was tremendously impressed with Patrick's exhibition skate. The way he shifted balance and landed in unusual positions from jumps, so that two moves almost overlapped, was gorgeous. He did a phenomenal job with a phenomenal piece of choreography. It was a true delight to watch this, and it gives me a great feeling of anticipation for his future.

By the way, one lovely aspect of his being a Canadian skater is that some of the greatest men's skaters of recent history are available as influences and mentors. I know he's spent time with Kurt--which has to be an asset to any skater. And he's now worked with Buttle. The fact that he also has listened to our U.S. Brian, Boitano, has to have benefited him.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
I am surprised most people seem to just notice his artistry. Didn't he show it in ex numbers like Yesterday and Time to Say Goodbye? He was considered an elegant skater with the jumping ability when he was only 14. That's why the insiders considered him the next big thing for Canada.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I am surprised most people seem to just notice his artistry. Didn't he show it in ex numbers like Yesterday and Time to Say Goodbye? He was considered an elegant skater with the jumping ability when he was only 14. That's why the insiders considered him the next big thing for Canada.

True! That was why Browning, Orser, Cranston, and sometimes Stojko marvel his skating so much.

I remember he was said to have extraordinary abilities on both artistic side and technical side when he was first onto Seniors. Then he was seen as a technician who was lack of artistry. Now it might start another round of marveling his both artistry and technical abilities.:)

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Still beautiful from all angles. I really do hope he gets Jeff to do at least one of his programs for next year.

fscric

On the Ice
Boeing787, thanks. I noticed this upload earlier but didn't watch it thinking it's just another version of the formal broadcast. It's great to hear clearly the audience's appreciation after how bad Patrick was treated the day before. The more I watched this programme, the more I am in awe of the way Patrick moves across and on the ice, just breathtaking!

fscric

On the Ice
Saw this posted on FSU - the small medal ceremony. I noticed that the same has been posted on Takahashi and Hanyu's threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TdlLoQgZFhI#t=518s

Haven't got the chance to listen to it but it's great to see these 3 competitors' comradeship. The posters on FSU said both Takashi and Hanyu picked Patrick as one of their favourite skaters, I'm glad that their feelings towards Patrick are not as hostile as some of his fans are (I know someone will tell me that it's the Japanese' culture to be polite, but I would like to think they don't have to say that if they didn't mean it especially when they are skating in the same era.)

Well, Yuzuru was not especially polite to Daisuke in not naming him one of his favorites! Daisuke reacted humorously.

spikydurian

Medalist
Saw this posted on FSU - the small medal ceremony. I noticed that the same has been posted on Takahashi and Hanyu's threads.

Haven't got the chance to listen to it but it's great to see these 3 competitors' comradeship. The posters on FSU said both Takashi and Hanyu picked Patrick as one of their favourite skaters, I'm glad that their feelings towards Patrick are not as hostile as some of his fans are (I know someone will tell me that it's the Japanese' culture to be polite, but I would like to think they don't have to say that if they didn't mean it especially when they are skating in the same era.)

I think the Japanese are generally more polite in voicing their opinions (like most Asians). Having said that, I have seen vids on Patrick's interactions with his Japanese friends esp Kozuka and Dai, and the body language is one of genuine friendship. Definitely not faked because I don't think they knew fans were taping them. ;) It is great that these brilliant skaters display the meaning of sportmanship and hopefully set a good example to the younger generation.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Like I've said in Takahashi thread, I think Chan and Takahashi, especially, have true friendship. Takahashi and Hanyu are genuinely respect and admire Patrick Chan. They have no need to name Patrick as their favorite skater at all but they did. It was true from their heart, not just out of politeness.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Boeing787, thanks. I noticed this upload earlier but didn't watch it thinking it's just another version of the formal broadcast. It's great to hear clearly the audience's appreciation after how bad Patrick was treated the day before. The more I watched this programme, the more I am in awe of the way Patrick moves across and on the ice, just breathtaking!

You are welcome.

Talking about Patrick's skating skills, let's take a look at Joubert's ex number for comparison.. You can see he has more strokes while Patrick just floats on the ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1D_-mdxrNU

waltzNo1

Spectator
Thanks for posting Joubert's EX number. That's a nice program too. But the contrast of skating skill is so stark! Patrick's skating skill is no doubt in different league.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome waltzNo1. I hope you stay with us. :)

Patrick shows us what he can do without the constraints of competition rules. The program is exquisite because of his skills and artistry. A lesser skater may skate the program but it would have nowhere near the simultaneously mesmerizing and awe inspiring effect.

His competition programs are of such insane degree of difficulty but to still skate them with his musicality and elegance is the challenge few can meet.

The quality of his skating is sans pareil.

Last edited:

waltzNo1

Spectator
Thanks for your warm welcome, SkatingFiguring! I became a fan of Patrick since last year Canada nationals and I have been lurking since then. :)