Patrick Chan | Page 447 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wait, wait... Can I post it on my fan site as well? Please?
Of course! :yes: Link to it, copy and paste it, whatever you want to do. Hold on a minute, should I wait to post it after WTT in case (fingers crossed) he does a completely clean long program, landing 3 quads and 2 axels? Right now, I'm planning on sharing 2016 4CC LP, 2017 Nationals LP, and 2016 Worlds SP in the post (plus the practice video at Worlds with no jumps).

I haven't written anything yet, so it'll be posted by either this weekend or early next week. The "research" has been so enjoyable. ;) Actually, do you all have any suggestions about which aspects of Chopin, Blackbird, and Journey to highlight? I'm having trouble narrowing it down. My blog is a general blog (whatever I feel like writing about) read mostly by people who don't follow figure skating or understand it much. The point of the post will be, "Three of my favorite programs ever from Patrick came after he chose to come back, and if he'd let his fear of competing win, these programs wouldn't exist to enrich my life." I don't want to go on and on about each program, just do one or two standout moments, and it's HARD. Especially since I should timestamp them so non-fans know what I'm talking about. Thoughts on how to point out Patrick's genius in each program in a very brief way???

ETA: I'm going to include somewhere how Patrick has increased his technical content since coming back. I think he's improved a lot artistically too, but that's subjective, so is there an objective way to point that out?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
whole post

hi skatingfan4ever i have a few personal thoughts on what makes these programs wonderful but others may have some as welll

Chopin : Patrick is one of the only skaters who can flow on the ice as a pianist fingers would flow on the keys... that's one of the reasons i find his Chopin so successful .

Aside from showing Patrick's new improved technical content and being FLAWLESS, what is amazing in this performance is the choreography.

Highlights : the spin that makes the link from the first fast part into the slow prelude in e minor. He changes positions as the music changes... it's so beautiful.

Then, at the beginning of the slow section, the upper body gesture that matches perfectly... (from memory he repeats it)

Finally, the 3Salchow right on the chord of the scherzo to get back into a fast finishing frenzy is also spectacular..... Those are for me the choreo highlights but there are many more...

Nationals LP : What is amazing here is first and foremost technical : Patrick lands his two quads and two triple axels... the quad toe combo covers so much ice... it's gigantic (if you can find a fan cam...it shows that better usually) ... the 4 salchow is a thing of beauty and it is the first time Patrick lands it at Nationals, 2nd time only for him to land it in its very short lifespan.... Patrick is impressive because it is a quad that he had never included in his programs and he is 26 now!!!! and it's textbook...
The two 3a are simply gorgeous.. the first one is a monster !!!! So, technically, that performance is special...
However, what makes it even better is that Patrick LOVES his music and it suits his mature expressive style (he has had that style for a while but the music isn't also perfect for it, or his mindset... at Nationals, it was). Patrick emotes with his entire body and that's everywhere in the Journey. Like on a journey, his path on the ice goes in all directions.. representing the detours and obstacles life sends us... it's a very nice piece of choreo as well and I would point out a few of my preferred parts : Patrick pushing with a feet... or Patrick's quick steps that match the music near the loop jump.

re blackbird : i wrote in this thread a few pages back a complete experience but to sum it up... what i would pick is the step sequence ... patrick is floating or flying over the ice... but he is in tempo with the music... so not crazy fast but going for every turn and feeling every detail... it's so gorgeous... patrick was 100% in symbiosis with the music here... and that's what for me is stellar about that performance... it was the first time I loved blackbird so that says a lot... ;)

cannot wait to read your blog post !

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Of course! :yes: Link to it, copy and paste it, whatever you want to do. Hold on a minute, should I wait to post it after WTT in case (fingers crossed) he does a completely clean long program, landing 3 quads and 2 axels?

I haven't written anything yet, so it'll be posted by either this weekend or early next week. The "research" has been so enjoyable. ;) Actually, do you all have any suggestions about which aspects of Chopin, Blackbird, and Journey to highlight? I'm having trouble narrowing it down. My blog is a general blog (whatever I feel like writing about) read mostly by people who don't follow figure skating or understand it much. The point of the post will be, "Three of my favorite programs ever from Patrick came after he chose to come back, and if he'd let his fear of competing win, these programs wouldn't exist to enrich my life." I don't want to go on and on about each program, just do one or two standout moments, and it's HARD. Especially since I should timestamp them so non-fans know what I'm talking about. Thoughts on how to point out Patrick's genius in each program in a very brief way????

Write and post it whenever you want - I'm sure I'll like it no matter which area you decide to focus on.

I didn't know you had a blog... where is it located???

hi skatingfan4ever i have a few personal thoughts on what makes these programs wonderful but others may have some as welll

cannot wait to read your blog post !

Great, you really should guest blog, too! Or else I'll just have to copy your comments from here!

Here's another nice pic of Patrick smiling during his SP:

https://twitter.com/mumoka11/status/849943317550833664

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Write and post it whenever you want - I'm sure I'll like it no matter which area you decide to focus on.

I didn't know you had a blog... where is it located???

Great, you really should guest blog, too! Or else I'll just have to copy your comments from here!

Here's another nice pic of Patrick smiling during his SP:

https://twitter.com/mumoka11/status/849943317550833664

i will one day ;) i just need to find something that makes it MANDATORY for me to write.. because what I write here is unedited, unplanned, unstructured.. just raw thoughts and emotions... if I were to write for your site, I would want to spend some time on it...

do not forget i am ESL :)

m0001

On the Ice
WTT on CBC:
April 20
5:40 AM Championship Figure Skating: World Team Trophy - Men's Short Program
April 21
6:00 AM Championship Figure Skating: World Team Trophy - Men's Free Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WTT on CBC:
April 20
5:40 AM Championship Figure Skating: World Team Trophy - Men's Short Program
April 21
6:00 AM Championship Figure Skating: World Team Trophy - Men's Free Program

damn it... is that eastern time??? Patrick really wants us to wake up early for him ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the GP season is out

2017 GP Events schedule

Cup of Russia - Oct. 19-22
Skate Canada - Oct. 26-29
Cup of China - Nov. 2-5
NHK Trophy - Nov. 9-12
Trophee de France - Nov. 16-19
Skate America - Nov. 24-26
GPF Dec. 7-10

considering how the seeds pretty much pick where they go (after the hosts have made their pick)

I am thinking Patrick will get host picked by Canada and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in NHK next... I don't see him choosing Russia or China because that would make it back to back for him... unfortunately, it's almost 100% sure that Nathan will be at Skate America which eliminates Patrick's chance from going there (they are in the same seeded pool) and Javier, will most likely be host picked by France or want to go to France....

So Patrick, after over 10 years would return to NHK, the only GP event where he has never medaled. He would certainly face either Yuzu or Shoma but not both...

I'd like him to go to France just because he has had so much success there but in some ways, I am okay if he doesn't go there..... TEB 2013 didn't translate into the same success for OG 2014... so going to Japan might be a great experience for him....

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i will one day ;) i just need to find something that makes it MANDATORY for me to write.. because what I write here is unedited, unplanned, unstructured.. just raw thoughts and emotions... if I were to write for your site, I would want to spend some time on it...

do not forget i am ESL :)

Cool, then write it in French first. :) Just write!

damn it... is that eastern time??? Patrick really wants us to wake up early for him ;)

Here's the time schedule: http://static.isu.org/media/1095/wtt2017_schedule_17-02-25.pdf

Yes, you have it right that it will be early in the morning... Yikes!

But Patrick won't get much rest between the SP and the LP...

Just made more updates! Here's another nice one from the SP:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ubA7FUAAEPYqu.jpg

See the rest at my blog!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Cool, then write it in French first. :) Just write!

Here's the time schedule: http://static.isu.org/media/1095/wtt2017_schedule_17-02-25.pdf

Yes, you have it right that it will be early in the morning... Yikes!

But Patrick won't get much rest between the SP and the LP...

See the rest at my blog!

nah... translating is way worse ;) if i write something one day, it will be in English directly. :)

thanks for the schedule !!!

calica

Final Flight
the GP season is out

2017 GP Events schedule

Cup of Russia - Oct. 19-22
Skate Canada - Oct. 26-29
Cup of China - Nov. 2-5
NHK Trophy - Nov. 9-12
Trophee de France - Nov. 16-19
Skate America - Nov. 24-26
GPF Dec. 7-10

Source, please!

I don´t found it in isu´s web... :(

m0001

On the Ice
nah... translating is way worse ;) if i write something one day, it will be in English directly. :)

thanks for the schedule !!!

In fact your English is so good that if you didn't mention you were ESL nobody would think you are. Really admire your quality and quantity of English writing here!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

See the rest at my blog!
That picture says so much - pure serenity!!! LOVE IT!!! :love:

I doubt Patrick will win NHK if he goes, because that's Yuzu/Shoma land, but it would be cool if he got a medal. Then he would have a medal in each GP. We'll see. ;) It's April and we're already talking about next season! :laugh: It's fun though. :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That picture says so much - pure serenity!!! LOVE IT!!! :love:

I doubt Patrick will win NHK if he goes, because that's Yuzu/Shoma land, but it would be cool if he got a medal. Then he would have a medal in each GP. We'll see. ;) It's April and we're already talking about next season! :laugh: It's fun though. :yes:

i am planning a summer of heavy patrick withdrawals... it will be good for me though.... as i am planning to learn new music and go to the gym more often LOL..but yeah... i cannot wait to find out who is going to ACI : because i will most likely be going again... at least for the FPs... last year was great but no Patrick... and I want me some pchiddy ;)