Patrick Chan | Page 509 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Long weekend hangover OR summer vacations??? :scratch2: :laugh:

oh that's right.. you guys had a long weekend... we didn't in quebec... though i took one ;)

i guess now that patrick has announced his music, and fallen in every possible way, there is less interest ;)

for those who don't know : yuzuru and Javier are both going to ACI ... so now i really want Patrick to go.... :)

sending a message in the universe again ;)

happylife

On the Ice
oh that's right.. you guys had a long weekend... we didn't in quebec... though i took one ;)

i guess now that patrick has announced his music, and fallen in every possible way, there is less interest ;)

for those who don't know : yuzuru and Javier are both going to ACI ... so now i really want Patrick to go.... :)

sending a message in the universe again ;)

I'm sorry 4EVERCHAN, I forgot there is no long weekend in Quebec but glad you took one :).

Yes some skaters are recycling their programs, maybe they want to stay on the safe side :laugh:. I know you don't like Patrick's musical choices when they were announced but he impresses me with two new programs for this important season. It's a challenge for him and all I wish for is he focuses on his training, skates two memorable programs before his retirement :love:.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes some skaters are recycling their programs, maybe they want to stay on the safe side :laugh:. I know you don't like Patrick's musical choices when they were announced but he impresses me with two new programs for this important season. It's a challenge for him and all I wish for is he focuses on his training, skates two memorable programs before his retirement :love:.
:agree:

Until Patrick gives us a snippet of his programs, or posts something new on social media, or gives a new interview, I feel like I have nothing else worthwhile to contribute here. I've been posting in the "Intriguing Characters of Skating" thread this week. I mentioned Patrick first, of course, and then a bunch of other skaters, including Kurt and Jeff. I've done four posts in that thread so far.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Until Patrick gives us a snippet of his programs, or posts something new on social media, or gives a new interview, I feel like I have nothing worthwhile to contribute here. I've been posting in the "Intriguing Characters of Skating" thread this week. I mentioned Patrick first, of course, and then a bunch of other skaters, including Kurt and Jeff. I've done four posts in that thread so far.

you are courageous to venture in the edge ;)

i saw your post about jeff :love:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Until Patrick gives us a snippet of his programs, or posts something new on social media, or gives a new interview, I feel like I have nothing worthwhile to contribute here. I've been posting in the "Intriguing Characters of Skating" thread this week. I mentioned Patrick first, of course, and then a bunch of other skaters, including Kurt and Jeff. I've done four posts in that thread so far.

You're right, there's nothing to really report on Patrick right now so it's been kind of quiet, on his end and ours. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You're right, there's nothing to really report on Patrick right now so it's been kind of quiet, on his end and ours. ;)

until he shoots another video of him falling in an odd way....

he should be nice and show us a 4flip instead ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Posting and hyping practice jumps is not his schtick. Keeping us entertained with funny fails is.

here is something that could make everyone happy...

patrick shoots a video of a gorgeous 4flip... and then, after a nice running edge... trips and falls ;) one stone... two birds :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Until Patrick gives us a snippet of his programs, or posts something new on social media, or gives a new interview, I feel like I have nothing else worthwhile to contribute here.

Not true - you always contribute something worthwhile, and I would love to see more of your posts! :agree:

Haha, not quite so quiet, even though he is still hard at work in Canton.

----------------------

Latest photo with the Shib Sibs and Kana Muramoto:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXnVF40jjL8/

Wearing that RBC sweater!

And Patrick did an interview with Chinese media that was posted on Weibo!

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4138823442969640

I am working on a new blog before my concert this weekend, so I will try to put a translation on it, too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not true - you always contribute something worthwhile, and I would love to see more of your posts! :agree:

----------------------

I am working on a new blog before my concert this weekend, so I will try to put a translation on it, too.

I have been aware that he is training hard in Canton, but I can't say much, that's up to Pat.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

----------------------

Looks like he did more than training in the rink. That tan!

There is a link to the interview but you need a Weibo account to see it. :( I hope a Weibo member will help us view it. )

2016-17赛季是陈伟群回归赛场的第二个赛季,这个赛季,与全新的教练组合作,在节目构成中加入新的四周跳,这一切的改变都是更好的备战明年平昌冬奥会。在赛季末世团赛后,陈伟群接受了包括爱滑冰在内的三家媒体的联合专访,回顾本赛季的表现,也谈及奥运赛季的计划和准备,采访链接:网页链接

"2016-17 season was the second season of Chen Weiqun's return to competition, during which he collaborated with a new coaching team and added a new quad jump in his program. All these changes are for a better preparedness to compete in next year's PyeongChang Olympics. After the World Championships at season's end, Chen accepted a joint interview by 3 media, including Love Figure Skating. He looks back at this season's performance and talks about his plan and preparation for the Olympics. (link to interview.)"

A couple of interesting comments:

"Very frank, self focused, shows strengths. Love you forever."

"Why do I get a feeling that he has seen through the red dust (transcended the earthly)?"

看破红尘 (see through the red dust) is an expression often used when someone decides to be a monk after seeing through the worldly and life itself. (Red dust, as opposed to the heaven, is filled with human desires and illusions.) Perhaps the English expression may be that Patrick is very Zen in this interview.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
If it helps, there's a translation from Chinese to Japanese of the whole interview here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If it helps, there's a translation from Chinese to Japanese of the whole interview here.

It helps, because there's a link to the original report. Thank you.

I'll do translation of this long article in parts as I find time during the day.

记者:世团赛是本赛季最后一场正式比赛,你如何评价自己这个赛季的表现呢?

陈伟群:回溯整个赛季,我认为这是一个很成功的赛季。即使赛季中间的表现有起伏,我很高兴自己心态始终保持乐观。我从每场比赛中获得提高,也一直在学习,尤其是心理方面,当然增加新的四周跳也是很大的变化。赛季初我的计划仅是(自由滑)完成两个后外点冰四周和两个阿克塞尔三周,而到了赛季末,我可以在自由滑中完成三个四周跳,这对于我来说是一个不小的突破,当然我知道对比有些选手这不算什么令人惊讶的成绩。我需要按照自己的计划和目标前行,同时我对自己依然有能力掌握新的跳跃、取得进步、保持位列于世界男单前五表示高兴,我始终对领奖台充满渴望。这还是有可能的,我希望保留登上奥运领奖台的可能性,为此我需要继续提升自我,而这一年正是此过程中很重要的一部分。

Journalist: The World Championships was the last official competition of the season. How do you judge your own performance this season?

Chen: Looking back, I think this has been a very successful season. Even with the ups and downs, I'm very happy to have kept my optimistic mindset. I got improvements from each competition, and I kept learning, especially the mental aspect. Of course adding a new quad is a big change. At the beginning of the season, my plan (for the LP) was to just complete two 4Ts and two 3As, yet by the end of the season, I could do 3 quads in my free program. This is a breakthrough for me though of course I know it is no big deal to some of the other Men. I just need to stay with my plan and goal. Meanwhile I'm happy to to be able to master a new jump, keep improving and stay in the top 5 for Men. I keep my hope for the podium. It's still possible. To keep my Olympic podium hope, I'll keep improving myself, and this year was a very important part of the process.

记者:去年休赛期,你做了一些改变,譬如更换教练,在节目中加入新的跳跃,你认为这些变化对你这赛季的表现起到了怎样的意义?

陈伟群:我认为这些改变是积极的,同时也很有必要。换教练并不是我的决定,我之前的教练(Kathy Johnson)决定休息一段时间,不再担任教练。所以我选择了 Marina(Marina Zueva),她正好有时间,而且经验丰富。我的另一位教练 Oleg(Oleg Epstein),一直都与 Marina 合作,也是一位非常出色的教练。同时这也是我们互相学习的一个过程,Oleg 没有太多执教单人选手的经验,不过他有丰富的学识,这些与我个人对单人滑的认识结合在一起,我们可以取得成功,找到适合我的技术。

Journalist: During your time off, you made some changes, such as changing coaches and adding new jumps to your program. How do you think these changes affected your season's performance?

Chen: I think these changes are positive, and also necessary. It was not my decision to change coaches. My former coach (KJ) decided to take a break from coaching so I switched to Marina who happened to have time for me and is very experienced. My other coach Oleg has worked with Marina a long time and he is an outstanding coach. We learn from each other. Oleg doesn't have much experience in coaching Singles but he's very knowledgeable so with my understanding of Single skating, together we find success and appropriate techniques for me.

记者:自由滑 A Journey 主题是友情,也是非常富有感情的作品,随着赛季的深入,在节目表达上有什么变化吗?

陈伟群:感情一直都在,外在的表现和内在的情感一直都一样。唯一变化的是技术方面,跳跃安排多次变动,加入了后内结环四周跳。遗憾的是随着技术难度的增加,我告诉自己避免在节目中融入过多的情绪,因为我需要专注跳跃,尤其是四周跳,所以在表达和感情上或多或少会留有遗憾。

J: The theme of the LP A Journey is friendship and it's an emotional creation. Were there changes in the program expression as the season progressed?

Chen: The feelings were always there. The external expression and the internal emotions were always the same. The only changes ware technical, with several changes in jump arrangements to incorporate the 4S. Unfortunately with the increased level of technical difficulty, I told myself to avoid too much emotion because I needed to focus on the jumps, especially the quads. So there was unfortunately somewhat less of the emotional expression.

记者:服装方面有什么考虑吗?

What are your costume considerations?

陈伟群:没什么特别,我只是很喜欢这个颜色。整体效果比较抽象,取决于个人的理解,每个人看到的方面都不一样。有人喜欢,也有人不喜欢,我不会在意别人对服装的看法,(服装)舒服、看着好看就足够了。

Nothing particular. I just like the colour. The overall effect is abstract, letting each person to interpret and have their own viewpoint. Some liked it, some didn't. I don't really care what others think about costumes. As long as it's comfortable and looks nice, it'll do for me.

记者:下赛季难度方面的计划呢?

What is your plan for the technical level for next season?

陈伟群:显然(短节目)包含两个四周跳。我希望能够在短节目中持续稳定的完成两个四周跳,赛季初我从没想过要这样,虽然这次短节目出现了失误,但(尝试两个四周跳)也是参赛目的之一,也许还会考虑在自由滑中加入后内点冰四周跳(Flip Jump)。目前而言,短节目对我的挑战最大,现在我不法确定能否在自由滑中顺利完成后内点冰四周跳。也可能短节目中只包括一个四周跳,一切都取决于到时的情况。不过为了与顶尖男单选手竞争,短节目两个四周是必备的。

Obviously, there will be 2 quads in the SP. I hope to have 2 consistent quads in the SP. I never thought of this at the beginning of the season. Although there were errors in the SP, attempting 2 quads is one of the competition goals. I may even add a 4F in the LP. As of now, the biggest challenge is the SP. I'm not sure of successfully completing a 4F in the LP. Maybe there will be only one quad in the SP; It all depends on the situation. However, to compete with the top Men, you must have 2 quads in the SP.

记者:所以下赛季将包括后内结环四周跳和后内点冰四周跳?

So there will be 4S and 4F in the next season?

陈伟群:这赛季我才将后内结环四周跳加入节目编排,世锦赛时又对跳跃顺序进行了一些调整,我没有太多在比赛里完成这个跳跃的经验。夏天休赛期时,我会花更多的时间练习,利用这段时间提高成功率。至于后内点冰四周跳,目前还没开始练,需要看我能否完成,存在很多未知的因素。但我想去尝试,推动自己去再学一种新的四周跳。

I only just added the 4S to the program this season and we made changes to the jumping layout at Worlds so I haven't had too much experience in doing this jump in competition. I will train more during this summer, using this time to raise the success rate. As for the 4F, I haven't started training for it and need to see if I'll succeed. There are many unknown factors. But I want to try, to push myself to learn a new quad.

记者:你有非常出众的滑行技术,是通过怎样的练习才达到现在的成就呢?

You have outstanding skating skills. How have you trained to achieve this level of success?

陈伟群:滑行是从小伴随我长大的事情,是需要时日不断练习,不是一年内你花时间学习就可以变得更好。就我个人而言,良好的滑行取决于很多因素,我的身体条件,肌肉结构,从小接受的指导,和启蒙时期的教练,以及多年的积累。这是最困难的部分。跳跃练习能在短时间内见到成效,可能一年可以学会一种新的四周跳。但是滑行,经历年复一年的训练和学习,我才取得现有的滑行能力和水平。

Skating is something I grew up with. It's something that takes time, not what you can learn in one year. For me, there are many factors in good skating skills, like my body-build, muscle structure, early learning, childhood coach, and many years of training. This is the most difficult part. You can see quick results in jump practices, learning a new quad in a year. But skating, it takes years and years of training and practice for me to have the skating skills and level that I do.

记者:不过现在有很多年轻选手将更多的精力花费在跳跃上,跳跃难度发展非常迅速。

But these days many young skaters are investing more energy into jumps and jump difficulty is increasing very fast.

陈伟群:起初意识到这种趋势时,大约是2014年冬奥会之后,我有点沮丧和失望。不过现在我没有精力去关注其他人在做什么。我只专注于我需要做什么和我应该在哪些方面提高,以保持竞争力。我希望我能将四周跳和我一直具有优势的滑行技术有机结合,展现我的竞争力。我认为这是完美的集合体,以此展示我一直希望向大家展示的男子花样滑冰的样子。

When I first noticed this trend, around the time after the Sochi Olympics, I was troubled and disappointed. But now I don't spend my energy to pay attention to what others are doing. I only focus on what I need to do and what areas I should improve to be competitive. I hope to combine quads and my advantageous skating skills organically to show my competitiveness. I think this is the ideal combination, so I may show everybody what I always hope to show, which is what Mens figure skating is all about.

记者: 如果具备高难度的跳跃,选手可能在比赛中获得更多的优势,你有什么看法呢?

With the most difficult jumps, a competitor has great advantages. What is your opinion?

陈伟群:我始终认为全面的选手将会出现。这些年羽生选手逐渐成长为更好的选手和表演者。在过去几年中,这项运动的变化非常疯狂,竞技的激烈程度和难度令人惊讶,而一些年轻选手却能如此轻松的完成。我来自的时代是,一套节目中完成一个四周跳就已经非常棒,现在一个四周跳远远不够。我能做的是提醒自己,我是参与这种变革的选手之一,自2011年世锦赛在自由滑中完成两个四周跳开始,我推动了更多男选手去完成四周跳。

I always think there will be a complete skater. Over the years Hanyu has grown into a great competitor and performer. In the last few years, the changes in this sports have been crazy. The levels of competitiveness and difficulty are astonishing. Yet some young skaters find it so easy. From my era, including a quad in a program was considered great. Now one quad is far from adequate. What I can do is to remind myself that I'm one of the participants in this change. Starting from doing two quads in the LP at 2011 Worlds, I've pushed more Men into doing quads.

记者:下赛季将是你第三次备战奥运会,对比前两次的经历,这次你会怎样面对这种压力?

It will be your third Olympics next season. Compared to the previous experiences, how will you deal with the pressure this time?

陈伟群:我现在比那时更有明智、更有经验。我希望我的第三次奥运会不要重复过去的错误。那时我心理上并没有做好准备,而这次我希望我可以做得更好。这是一个学习如何掌控情绪和想法的过程。佛教徒用其一生去修行,学习如何控制自己的杂念。花样滑冰与之类似,无论面对何种情况,何种压力,控制自己的想法是非常重要的。想法可能是你全身最有力的“肌肉”,它可以改变任何事,也会让你的表演变得不同。所以我需要学会掌控自己的思想,(如果可以)这将是巨大的优势。

I'm wiser and more experienced now than before. I hope to not repeat my previous mistakes. I wasn't prepared mentally. I hope to do better this time. This is a process of managing emotions and thoughts. Buddhists spend their whole lives to learn to control their distracting thoughts. It's similar in figure skating. No matter the situation, no matter the pressure, it's very important to control your thoughts. Your mind may be your most powerful "muscle". It can change anything, and it can make a difference in your performance. So I need to learn to control my mind. Then it would be a great advantage.

记者:在日常比赛中,你一般如何调整自己的心态?

In regular competitions, how do you adjust your attitude?

陈伟群:无论短节目表现好坏,我都需要忘掉它,专注接下来的事情。第二天,自由滑,是全新的一天,一个崭新的开始,我唯一能做的是自由滑全力以赴。我无法改变已经发生的事情,无论好坏。我们需要活在当下,做好当前的事情。

No matter how I did in the SP, I have to forget it to focus on what comes next. The next day, the free skate, will be a new day, a new beginning. All I can do is to do my best. I can't change what already happened, good or bad. We need to live in the present, do what is ahead.

记者:你现在是很多年轻选手的榜样,在你成长的道路上,哪些选手对你有非常重大的影响呢?

You are now a model for many young skaters. In your own journey, which skaters had the great influence on you?

陈伟群:有两位选手,一位是 Alexei Yagudin,我和他的身体条件有些相似,拥有强壮的肌肉,他在冰上的表现力是我非常欣赏的。另一位是 Stephane Lambiel,尤其是在滑行、风格等方面,他的每一套节目都能把我带入他的世界,无论是怎样的故事。

There were two. One of them is Alexei Yagudin. We have similar build, with strong muscles. I appreciate his performance on ice very much. Another is Sephane Lambiel, especially his skating, style, etc. Every one of his programs could take me into his world, no matter the story.

记者:能说你享受滑冰吗?

Can you say you enjoy skating?

陈伟群:也是,也不是。这是一个相对的状态。我已经从事花样滑冰运动很多年了,喜爱无法完全表达我跟滑冰之间的关系。我与花样滑冰之间的关系很特殊,事实上每个选手(与花样滑冰的关系)都不同。我很庆幸外界没有给我过多的期待和压力,因为在那种情况下,选手将面对非常大的挑战和困难,无限的期许、巨大的压力。由于我不必经历这些,我可以花时间专注于自我提升,学识及思想方面。当你非常紧张担心结果时,你会对你想学什么和你为什么要这么做失去判断能力,而这些才是你希望获得和提高的部分。事实上,我们很难分辨什么是我们想达到的,什么是别人希望我们达到的。

Yes and no. There is a contrast (two sides?). I've been in the sport of figure skating for so many years, my relationship with skating cannot be expressed fully with "like/love". I have an unique relationship with figure skating. In fact it's different for every skater. I'm lucky I don't have too much expectation and pressure from the outside because, under such circumstances, a skater will have to face great challenges and difficulties, with unlimited expectation and great pressure. Because I don't have to experience this, I can focus on self improvement, on knowledge and mind. When you are nervous and worried about results, you will lose your ability to evaluate what you want to learn and why you want to do this. Yet these are what you hope to accomplish and improve. In reality, it's hard for us to differentiate what we wish to accomplish and what others wish for us to accomplish.

记者:谢谢你接受采访,祝你奥运赛季好运。

Thank you for this interview. Good luck at the Olympics.

陈伟群:谢谢。

Thank you.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
It helps, because there's a link to the original report. Thank you.

I'll do translation of this long article in parts as I find time during the day.

记者:世团赛是本赛季最后一场正式比赛,你如何评价自己这个赛季的表现呢?

陈伟群:回溯整个赛季,我认为这是一个很成功的赛季。即使赛季中间的表现有起伏,我很高兴自己心态始终保持乐观。我从每场比赛中获得提高,也一直在学习,尤其是心理方面,当然增加新的四周跳也是很大的变化。赛季初我的计划仅是(自由滑)完成两个后外点冰四周和两个阿克塞尔三周,而到了赛季末,我可以在自由滑中完成三个四周跳,这对于我来说是一个不小的突破,当然我知道对比有些选手这不算什么令人惊讶的成绩。我需要按照自己的计划和目标前行,同时我对自己依然有能力掌握新的跳跃、取得进步、保持位列于世界男单前五表示高兴,我始终对领奖台充满渴望。这还是有可能的,我希望保留登上奥运领奖台的可能性,为此我需要继续提升自我,而这一年正是此过程中很重要的一部分。

Journalist: The World Championships is the last official competition of the season. How do you judge your own performance this season?

Chen: Looking back, I think this has been a very successful season. Even with the ups and downs, I'm very happy to have kept my optimistic mindset. I got improvements from each competition, and I kept learning, especially the mental aspect. Of course adding a new quad is a big change. At the beginning of the season, my plan (for the LP) was to just complete two 4Ts and two 3As, yet by the end of the season, I could do 3 quads in my free program. This is a breakthrough for me though of course I know it is no big deal to some of the other Men. I just need to stay with my plan and goal. Meanwhile I'm happy to to be able to master a new jump, keep improving and stay in the top 5 for Men. I keep my hope for the podium. It's still possible. To keep my Olympic podium hope, I'll keep improving myself, and this year was a very important part of the process.

记者:去年休赛期,你做了一些改变,譬如更换教练,在节目中加入新的跳跃,你认为这些变化对你这赛季的表现起到了怎样的意义?

陈伟群:我认为这些改变是积极的,同时也很有必要。换教练并不是我的决定,我之前的教练(Kathy Johnson)决定休息一段时间,不再担任教练。所以我选择了 Marina(Marina Zueva),她正好有时间,而且经验丰富。我的另一位教练 Oleg(Oleg Epstein),一直都与 Marina 合作,也是一位非常出色的教练。同时这也是我们互相学习的一个过程,Oleg 没有太多执教单人选手的经验,不过他有丰富的学识,这些与我个人对单人滑的认识结合在一起,我们可以取得成功,找到适合我的技术。

Journalist: During your time off, you made some changes, such as changing coaches and adding new jumps to your program. How do you think these changes affected your season's performance?

Chen: I think these changes are positive, and also necessary. It was not my decision to change coaches. My former coach (KJ) decided to take a break from coaching so I switched to Marina who happened to have time for me and is very experienced. My other coach Oleg has worked with Marina a long time and he is an outstanding coach. We learn from each other. Oleg doesn't have much experience in coaching Singles but he's very knowledgeable so with my understanding of Single skating, together we find success and appropriate techniques for me.

记者:自由滑 A Journey 主题是友情,也是非常富有感情的作品,随着赛季的深入,在节目表达上有什么变化吗?

陈伟群:感情一直都在,外在的表现和内在的情感一直都一样。唯一变化的是技术方面,跳跃安排多次变动,加入了后内结环四周跳。遗憾的是随着技术难度的增加,我告诉自己避免在节目中融入过多的情绪,因为我需要专注跳跃,尤其是四周跳,所以在表达和感情上或多或少会留有遗憾。

J: The theme of the LP A Journey is friendship and it's an emotional creation. Were there changes in the program expression as the season progressed?

Chen: The feelings were always there. The external expression and the internal emotions were always the same. The only changes ware technical, with several changes in jump arrangements to incorporate the 4S. Unfortunately with the increased level of technical difficulty, I told myself to avoid too much emotion because I needed to focus on the jumps, especially the quads. So there was unfortunately somewhat less of the emotional expression.
记者:服装方面有什么考虑吗?

What are your costume considerations?

陈伟群:没什么特别,我只是很喜欢这个颜色。整体效果比较抽象,取决于个人的理解,每个人看到的方面都不一样。有人喜欢,也有人不喜欢,我不会在意别人对服装的看法,(服装)舒服、看着好看就足够了。

Nothing particular. I just like the colour. The overall effect is abstract, letting each person to interpret and have their own viewpoint. Some liked it, some didn't. I don't really care what others think about costumes. As long as it's comfortable and looks nice, it'll do for me.

记者:下赛季难度方面的计划呢?

What is your plan for the technical level for next season?

陈伟群:显然(短节目)包含两个四周跳。我希望能够在短节目中持续稳定的完成两个四周跳,赛季初我从没想过要这样,虽然这次短节目出现了失误,但(尝试两个四周跳)也是参赛目的之一,也许还会考虑在自由滑中加入后内点冰四周跳(Flip Jump)。目前而言,短节目对我的挑战最大,现在我不法确定能否在自由滑中顺利完成后内点冰四周跳。也可能短节目中只包括一个四周跳,一切都取决于到时的情况。不过为了与顶尖男单选手竞争,短节目两个四周是必备的。

Obviously, there will be 2 quads in the SP. I hope to have 2 consistent quads in the SP. I never thought of this at the beginning of the season. Although there were errors in the SP, attempting 2 quads is one of the competition goals. I may even add a 4F in the LP. As of now, the biggest challenge is the SP. I'm not sure of successfully completing a 4F in the LP. Maybe there will be only one quad in the SP; It all depends on the situation. However, to compete with the top Men, you must have 2 quads in the SP.
Right on cue, a new interview gets posted! :laugh: Nothing entirely new, but it is nice to hear these calm, self-assured words from Patrick himself. My thoughts:

First Question - I’m glad he sees his last season in such an optimistic light and recognizes the amazing progress he has made. He's focusing on himself and not the other skaters. He didn't seem to mind being 5th again. He knows the podium is a possibility at the Olympics but isn't worried about getting a specific medal (Sochi was "I must get gold"). He hopes for the podium, but he knows he needs to earn it. He seems very willing to let the chips fall where they may this time. Before Sochi, some fans had a perception that Patrick was resting on his laurels; he certainly isn't now. In previous interviews, Patrick sounded angry/disappointed about the new quad trend; now he has accepted it and simply decided to do what he can. :biggrin:

Second Question - It's so interesting that Kathy was the one who wanted a break. It's also interesting how Patrick said Marina "happened to have time" for him.

Third Question - I think this is what 4everchan was trying to explain to us before. Patrick’s feelings were always the same while skating A Journey and the internal emotions and external expression were always the same. He felt the emotion of the program but at the same time he told himself to avoid too much emotion in order to get through the elements. In other words, he had his performance face on, while inside he felt connected to the music and his blades. As a viewer, I was able to feel the emotion in the program even though Patrick didn’t “show” the emotion. The intention behind his movement, along with the music, created the emotion. Patrick didn’t need to “force us” to have emotion through miming, facial expressions, etc. I now understand better the type of performer Patrick is. He speaks to us through his careful, nuanced execution of the choreography. He lets his movement do all the talking on the ice. :yes:

Fourth Question - This is no surprise. Patrick is not too concerned about his costumes. He likes them simple and abstract and the most important thing to him is that they’re comfortable. I do like how he said his costumes allow people to interpret them however they want. Whenever I look at his Journey shirt, I see a beautiful sunrise or sunset.

Fifth Question - Patrick wants to do a 2-quad SP and he wants to do a 4F in the LP. But he doesn’t know what will actually work out. He will wait to see what feels best and most comfortable. In other words, we won’t know his layouts for sure until he does them in each competition.

Thanks so much, VB, for doing the translation! :thank:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks so much, VB, for doing the translation! :thank:

Thank you for your work VB! :2thumbs: I enjoyed this interview.

It's my pleasure. Be sure to read the whole post because I added bits and parts to the same post as I went along translating it.

The Chinese portions are there because it was easier for me to refer to as I was translating. Some of you may also enjoy reading the original here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's my pleasure. Be sure to read the whole post because I added bits and parts to the same post as I went along translating it.

The Chinese portions are there because it was easier for me to refer to as I was translating. Some of you may also enjoy reading the original here.

thank you for this great translation.

I was also intrigued by what he said about Kathy. He must have felt abandoned if she indeed decided to leave him.... I can understand a bit more the situation now that he has shared this.

For the rest, it's mostly stuff we knew but in a very well put manner. I think Patrick is right when he says that he started the quad race because with his skating skills and his 4t, the only way to beat him was to bring on more quads... and they did...

Patrick is so clear also when he talks about skating skills.... lifelong learning versus learning a jump in a year.

Again, thank you for your time and dedication Violet Bliss... always love reading your translations

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
thank you for this great translation.

I was also intrigued by what he said about Kathy. He must have felt abandoned if she indeed decided to leave him.... I can understand a bit more the situation now that he has shared this.

Didn't we always know it was Kathy who quit? I suspected some politics, maybe some discord from the Richmond skating school.