Patrick Chan | Page 524 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I rarely join the discussion on Patrick's costumes but I'm with Skatingfan4ever on the JO Chopin costume. I did not like it and I was distracted by the pants. :disagree:

As for this year's programs, since Patrick's skating to Hallelujah, could he perhaps for the first time try out some feathers??? :laugh: 4everchan ... any thoughts on that??? ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I rarely join the discussion on Patrick's costumes but I'm with Skatingfan4ever on the JO Chopin costume. I did not like it and I was distracted by the pants. :disagree:

As for this year's programs, since Patrick's skating to Hallelujah, could he perhaps for the first time try out some feathers??? :laugh: 4everchan ... any thoughts on that??? ;)

Patrick already said he doesn't do them.... why hurt the chickens ? they are the ones who need their feathers.

@skatingfan4ever

me too!!!! I thought Elegy and 4 seasons was the utmost artistry possible... then.. he brought the chopin... and then... journey.... I have to admit I was very worried this summer because I didn't think Patrick would once more surpass his own level of artistry... i mean... he is already so far ahead... and then... BANG... two new programs... even better than anything he has done before...

He is unstoppable... he is a true legend. I feel so grateful he decided to come back... can you imagine what we would have missed? OMG....

for those who need a reminder about Patrick's JO 2014... or his HOT and SEXY costume ;) (BBHILL.. you just need to focus on the right thing... i don't get distracted by the pants LOL)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
@skatingfan4ever

me too!!!! I thought Elegy and 4 seasons was the utmost artistry possible... then.. he brought the chopin... and then... journey.... I have to admit I was very worried this summer because I didn't think Patrick would once more surpass his own level of artistry... i mean... he is already so far ahead... and then... BANG... two new programs... even better than anything he has done before...

He is unstoppable... he is a true legend. I feel so grateful he decided to come back... can you imagine what we would have missed? OMG....

for those who need a reminder about Patrick's JO 2014... or his HOT and SEXY costume ;) (BBHILL.. you just need to focus on the right thing... i don't get distracted by the pants LOL)
1. Yes, his comeback programs other than MTK are so much better than anything he did before. He keeps surpassing himself program-wise, which I think was a big reason he came back. IIRC, he originally said he came back because he wanted to push the sport forward artistically. (At that point, no one had a clue how far the sport would progress technically in such a short time). He knew he had more he wanted to give the sport. He has progressed artistically along with successfully increasing his technical content beyond his wildest dreams. We can't ask for more as his fans. :biggrin:

2. I do think about that occasionally. No comeback would mean no Chopin, no Journey, no Hallelujah, no Blackbird, no Dust in the Wind. These programs are at or near the top of my list of ALL-TIME favorite Patrick programs (it's always hard to decide what specific order that list is in, but they're high on it). He moves on the ice differently since coming back. He has more fluidity and smoothness and attention to detail. Results aside, these programs are worth remembering. Thank you again, Patrick, for coming back and gracing the skating world with more of your GORGEOUS skating!!! :yes: :thank:

3. I rewatched the 2014 JO skate. First, I realized how that program grew so much over time and yet the quality was there from the very beginning. I was incredibly moved by a program that, looking back at it now, had so much room to grow (very much like Dust in the Wind and Hallelujah). Second, his 3A looks so much more stable now than back then, even the ones he makes mistakes on. ;) Third, I realized how early on he must have decided to make a serious comeback. The Olympics were in February. He skipped Worlds in March. JO was on October 4th and the program already looked finished. So, he went through the effort of having David choreograph a new LP by that date, with a quad combo and a 3A and all the triples. He must have started preparing the program when he normally prepares programs, and he probably wouldn't have bothered getting a new program just for JO. This all means that Patrick decided to come back relatively soon after the Olympics. So, it was not a last-minute, for the heck of it decision to come back. A lot of thought had gone into it already before JO. When Patrick announced that he was doing JO, and doing a new program there no less, it was a complete surprise to me. Then JO happened and I realized just how much I missed him and why. :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1. Yes, his comeback programs other than MTK are so much better than anything he did before. He keeps surpassing himself program-wise, which I think was a big reason he came back. IIRC, he originally said he came back because he wanted to push the sport forward artistically. (At that point, no one had a clue how far the sport would progress technically in such a short time). He knew he had more he wanted to give the sport. He has progressed artistically along with successfully increasing his technical content beyond his wildest dreams. We can't ask for more as his fans. :biggrin:

2. I do think about that occasionally. No comeback would mean no Chopin, no Journey, no Hallelujah, no Blackbird, no Dust in the Wind. These programs are at or near the top of my list of ALL-TIME favorite Patrick programs (it's always hard to decide what specific order that list is in, but they're high on it). He moves on the ice differently since coming back. He has more fluidity and smoothness and attention to detail. Results aside, these programs are worth remembering. Thank you again, Patrick, for coming back and gracing the skating world with more of your GORGEOUS skating!!! :yes: :thank:

3. I rewatched the 2014 JO skate. First, I realized how that program grew so much over time and yet the quality was there from the very beginning. I was incredibly moved by a program that, looking back at it now, had so much room to grow (very much like Dust in the Wind and Hallelujah). Second, his 3A looks so much more stable now than back then, even the ones he makes mistakes on. ;) Third, I realized how early on he must have decided to make a serious comeback. The Olympics were in February. He skipped Worlds in March. JO was on October 4th and the program already looked finished. So, he went through the effort of having David choreograph a new LP by that date, with a quad combo and a 3A and all the triples. He must have started preparing the program when he normally prepares programs, and he probably wouldn't have bothered getting a new program just for JO. This all means that Patrick decided to come back relatively soon after the Olympics. So, it was not a last-minute, for the heck of it decision to come back. A lot of thought had gone into it already before JO. When Patrick announced that he was doing JO, and doing a new program there no less, it was a complete surprise to me. Then JO happened and I realized just how much I missed him and why. :hap10:

well i don't know about #3 (I agree with 1 and 2)

Patrick could have been invited for Japan open and decided to get a new program as he didn't want to skate to 4 seasons again... but not yet thinking about coming back ...

the look on his face after his skate is full of joy and peace... even a bit of surprise ... as if he didn't expect to skate so well at Japan Open... like a WOW... I will take it ;)

You are right that the program has evolved a lot... one thing that got lost is the musical connection on the first 3lz... that jump was moved... but on the first version, it's awesome... thought on the version we all love, there are highlights other places (like the brilliant salchow on the music)

I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick really confirmed in his mind he would be coming back around worlds in 2015... back then, the sport hadn't gotten cray cray... the guys were doing the same layouts as in 2014... and perhaps Patrick then felt he could keep his layout and bring more artistry.

However, things got nuts ;) and forced Patrick to simply add quad galore.... i admire him so much for fighting to remain a contender despite being at a deficit in BV for the last couple years. Patrick is now even better and not just with his blade artistry and musical connection, but technically he is so much stronger... you are correct that the 3a is so much better.. but even the 4toe he did in his summer competition this year seem so much better than 2014 JO.

Anyways,,, i am rambling.. I have had a long night of work.. and then a short night of sleep.. and then a very long day of work...

i am going to make a cocktail.... and watch tv LOL ;)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick could have been invited for Japan open and decided to get a new program as he didn't want to skate to 4 seasons again... but not yet thinking about coming back ...

the look on his face after his skate is full of joy and peace... even a bit of surprise ... as if he didn't expect to skate so well at Japan Open... like a WOW... I will take it ;)

You are right that the program has evolved a lot... one thing that got lost is the musical connection on the first 3lz... that jump was moved... but on the first version, it's awesome... thought on the version we all love, there are highlights other places (like the brilliant salchow on the music)

I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick really confirmed in his mind he would be coming back around worlds in 2015... back then, the sport hadn't gotten cray cray... the guys were doing the same layouts as in 2014... and perhaps Patrick then felt he could keep his layout and bring more artistry.

However, things got nuts ;) and forced Patrick to simply add quad galore.... i admire him so much for fighting to remain a contender despite being at a deficit in BV for the last couple years. Patrick is now even better and not just with his blade artistry and musical connection, but technically he is so much stronger... you are correct that the 3a is so much better.. but even the 4toe he did in his summer competition this year seem so much better than 2014 JO.
Your theory is quite likely, now that I think about it, because he was very moved by P&C’s FD at 2015 Worlds and decided he wanted to move people like THAT. But now I’m even MORE impressed that he gave us a new program at JO. It’s as if he said to David, “I don’t want to do Four Seasons again, but I got invited to JO, so will you choreograph me a new program?” And Patrick and David cared enough to make it so full of those lovely transitions. He gave us a whole new program not knowing for sure if he’d skate it again or not. Very impressive.

I had forgotten how much joy was on his face after that JO skate. It was a competition program and yet he reacted like he had just finished a very enjoyable show program. That’s up there with my favorite Patrick reactions ever. Thanks for the reminder. :) And, I :agree: about him being technically stronger now on all jumps, not just the 3A. Even the spin positions and footwork seem much improved now. Like I said before, Patrick keeps surpassing himself (even when he doesn’t surpass his competitors in the standings). :yes2:

Just under 2 weeks until Nebelhorn!!! :hap85:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I always assumed/knew Patrick was returning after a year off because that was what he had said. But then some people's wishful speculation that he wouldn't be back might have muddled up the fact and his indicated intention. He even had his comeback LP choreographed before his sabbatical and letting us have a look at JO 2014.

Then he returned to a drastically changed landscape in Mens competitive skating for which he was not mentally prepared. He had to accept, assess and decide on his strategy against the new challenges. He now has to meld his artistry goal with new technical bar for the Olympic dream.

As for rating his past season or two, I tend to view all three years leading up to the Pyongyang Olympics as one journey for one objective. WC medals would be nice to add to his collection but they are not what he came back for. Thus, it has been an extremely and amazingly successful journey even though he had to start from a much lower starting position than previously envisioned. Think how far he has come mentally, artistically, and technically! Yes, extremely and amazingly successful. Now he just needs to keep the trajectory and we're going to the moon with him.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm really enjoying reading all of these theories etc on Patrick, so please keep it up, but I just needed a little "esqualo" in my life and knew it would be appreciated here too. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtA_xK3FgbA

GO PATRICK!!!!:clapper:

Ok, feel free to continue on now....:biggrin:

:peace:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm really enjoying reading all of these theories etc on Patrick, so please keep it up, but I just needed a little "esqualo" in my life and knew it would be appreciated here too. ;)

Thank you for posting Esqualo. As much as we talk about Patrick's success in this thread and try to define it, at the end of the day I admire him most for his actual skating. Here's Esqualo+Elegie mini duet. Gosh, I love Elegie too! :love:

m0001

On the Ice

This is the one I'd like to watch for my whole life! How likely do you think he'll use it for his exhibition this season?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well.. i am such a sucker for esqualo ;) and the one with mini Elegie (with jeffbutt) is very special too.....

I never thought i'd say this... especially since i love seeing patrick wearing the esqualo outfit :) but... well... i am getting more and more into the 'renewed artistry" Patrick is showing with the new programs... seriously... wow... just wow... and i am actually happy that he didn't keep esqualo...

:eeking: i know right?? LOL ;)

i cannot wait to see his programs in a couple weeks from now... i just cannot wait...

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I never thought i'd say this... especially since i love seeing patrick wearing the esqualo outfit :) but... well... i am getting more and more into the 'renewed artistry" Patrick is showing with the new programs... seriously... wow... just wow... and i am actually happy that he didn't keep esqualo...

:eeking: i know right?? LOL ;)

i cannot wait to see his programs in a couple weeks from now... i just cannot wait...
Esqualo is a program where Patrick's fast and accurate feet shine, but it's not a particularly emotive program. The music doesn't lend itself to emotional presentation. Whereas the competition music he's chosen since coming back (excluding MTK) conveys a lot of emotion. I suppose there is drama/passion driving Esqualo musically, but I personally don't "feel emotion" from the music itself. Patrick's movement conveys the music very well, but the movement doesn't convey emotion in the way that he is doing now. This was actually a main criticism of Patrick's skating in the past -- that he skated very well but some people couldn't feel the emotion from him when he skated. I always could feel it, from Four Seasons 1 onward, but, looking back, I can see how his early programs could seem more frantic and stiff and "less emotional."

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very clearly. The short version is, I agree with you, 4everchan, and I say this as a deep lover of Esqualo (and all of his earlier programs). He has improved in his artistry season by season throughout his career. What a tremendous accomplishment! :clap: :bow: He was always amazing, but he keeps adding more and more layers/nuances to his skating and the way he presents himself on the ice.

This is a noteworthy day indeed. 4everchan is glad Patrick didn't use Esqualo for his SP. :laugh: I am too, now that we've seen Dust in the Wind. :yes:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is the one I'd like to watch for my whole life! How likely do you think he'll use it for his exhibition this season?

I'd say not so likely since he's moved on and done other exhibitions since, but Patrick is unpredictable with these things, so I guess we just have to wait and see. :biggrin:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I love the discussion above... keep it going! :agree:

Some of you had said that you would love to go see Patrick skate in person this year, but didn't want to plan for it so far out back when tickets were on sale in June. But now you have another chance to do it!

Skate Canada just released ticketing information for their upcoming events:

https://skatecanada.ca/2017/09/skate-canada-releases-ticketing-information-for-2017-2018-season/

There's an event in Montreal, but too bad Patrick won't be there. However, all-event tickets are still on sale for Nationals. It would be nice to meet some other GS fans!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Esqualo is a program where Patrick's fast and accurate feet shine, but it's not a particularly emotive program. The music doesn't lend itself to emotional presentation. Whereas the competition music he's chosen since coming back (excluding MTK) conveys a lot of emotion. I suppose there is drama/passion driving Esqualo musically, but I personally don't "feel emotion" from the music itself. Patrick's movement conveys the music very well, but the movement doesn't convey emotion in the way that he is doing now. This was actually a main criticism of Patrick's skating in the past -- that he skated very well but some people couldn't feel the emotion from him when he skated. I always could feel it, from Four Seasons 1 onward, but, looking back, I can see how his early programs could seem more frantic and stiff and "less emotional."

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very clearly. The short version is, I agree with you, 4everchan, and I say this as a deep lover of Esqualo (and all of his earlier programs). He has improved in his artistry season by season throughout his career. What a tremendous accomplishment! :clap: :bow: He was always amazing, but he keeps adding more and more layers/nuances to his skating and the way he presents himself on the ice.

This is a noteworthy day indeed. 4everchan is glad Patrick didn't use Esqualo for his SP. :laugh: I am too, now that we've seen Dust in the Wind. :yes:

well i agree with a lot of things you say but personally, as a tango lover, i felt so much passion when patrick skated to esqualo... SO MUCH PASSION... and the fact that he has this incredibly nice posture just makes tango on ice very special... to me it was a very emotional program.... but i can see how pieces with lyrics can bring people in more...

btw... i never thought patrick was too "interior" as a performer... even at 17-18.. i thought he was musically gifted.. but just young... now, he is more open... he is only 26... in music, that's a relatively young age when you think that some performers really get a new maturity in their 40 and 50s :) and let's not talk about the beasts who are still performing way past 60 and bring a completely different musical personality to the stage... so to me, Patrick was just a young performer then... now he has opened up..

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love the discussion above... keep it going! :agree:

Some of you had said that you would love to go see Patrick skate in person this year, but didn't want to plan for it so far out back when tickets were on sale in June. But now you have another chance to do it!

Skate Canada just released ticketing information for their upcoming events:

https://skatecanada.ca/2017/09/skate-canada-releases-ticketing-information-for-2017-2018-season/

There's an event in Montreal, but too bad Patrick won't be there. However, all-event tickets are still on sale for Nationals. It would be nice to meet some other GS fans!

I'm up in the air right now if I'm going to make it out to Canadian Championships since I have to be at US Nationals and the events overlap a tiny bit. ;)

We will see. :con2:

m0001

On the Ice
well i agree with a lot of things you say but personally, as a tango lover, i felt so much passion when patrick skated to esqualo... SO MUCH PASSION... and the fact that he has this incredibly nice posture just makes tango on ice very special... to me it was a very emotional program.... but i can see how pieces with lyrics can bring people in more...

btw... i never thought patrick was too "interior" as a performer... even at 17-18.. i thought he was musically gifted.. but just young... now, he is more open... he is only 26... in music, that's a relatively young age when you think that some performers really get a new maturity in their 40 and 50s :) and let's not talk about the beasts who are still performing way past 60 and bring a completely different musical personality to the stage... so to me, Patrick was just a young performer then... now he has opened up..

Totally agree! Yes, there was criticism of Patrick's skating that some people couldn't feel the emotion from him when he skated, but it was just from "some people", who may not like him even today. I personally don't think he was less emotional than his contemporaries. I was moved to tears from many of his early performances. The following one, for example was 5 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPloP7b5skY

I wish I could find the CBC version with Tracy's comments, but can't find it. If anyone knows, please post it here. Thanks a lot!