Patrick Chan | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
Kathy and Eddie - I guess.
As long as neither holds him back and he knows to go to someone else when he needs polishing up of his jumps.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I see in my crystal ball a Canadian man in his 40's. :p

At this point, Patrick's jumps should be in Dartfish for others to study. And everybody would flock to him if he would give skating skills lessons. I don't think Dartfish is an important tool for him anymore because there are no excellent models for quad jumps other than the 4T which he has already mastered. He is at the level when his executions should be intuitive and free rather than micro analyzed and managed. Optimally he should be executing the difficult elements with his heart and whole body instead of with his head. That's how he got his 3A back - going with his feelings instead of all the clattering instructions and insecurity. I think he felt terrible with Krall resigning but the fact of the matter is he has outgrown her coaching mode. Now it's all about refinement, artistry, and, technically, to land new quads while maintaining or improving existing jumps and spins. Krall was very good at keeping him settled before competitions so I hope he will always have someone supportive of his mental strength.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I see in my crystal ball a Canadian man in his 40's. :p

So it's Kurt you are suggesting? It's possible. Let's wait and see.

BTW, Dartfish will still be important for Patrick becuase he will need it for his 4S, 4F even 4Lz. I am pretty sure we will see him try one of them in Sochi.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
BTW, Dartfish will still be important for Patrick becuase he will need it for his 4S, 4F even 4Lz. I am pretty sure we will see him try one of them in Sochi.

But whose 4S, 4F and 4Lz should he model after? After he starts landing them, he may see his own for comparison and improvement. Then again, he may not need to. The way someone acquires skills at the highest level is very different from a beginner or most others.

Boeing787

On the Ice
But whose 4S, 4F and 4Lz should he model after? After he starts landing them, he may see his own for comparison and improvement. Then again, he may not need to. The way someone acquires skills at the highest level is very different from a beginner or most others.

Michal Brezina and Javier Fernandez have landed some beautiful 4S'es. As to 4F and 4Lz, he should have landed some himself. He can certainly use those jumps as models as you have said. I think the key is to duplicate exactly what he did when he landed those jumps successfully. If Dartfish help him master his 4T, it can certainly help him get other quads.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Michal Brezina and Javier Fernandez have landed some beautiful 4S'es.

But then whom did Brezina, Fernandez and others 4S jumpers model after? They also have different body types. Patrick has landed some of these jumps in practice too. It shows Dartfish is not the only way to go.

As to 4F and 4Lz, he should have landed some himself. He can certainly use those jumps as models as you have said. I think the key is to duplicate exactly what he did when he landed those jumps successfully. If Dartfish help him master his 4T, it can certainly help him get other quads.

If he and any other could land these quads successfully without a Dartfish model, it means Dartfish is not the only or even the necessary way to learn new quads. Landed jumps have different degrees of success and may be compared with the use of Dartfish, but it's extremely important not to actually pick up some undesirable or unsuitable techniques from somebody else or oneself so duplicating a successful jump exactly may not be desirable, preventing the perfection of technique. Probably the best model is the personal experience of learning the first quad, of going from an easy triple and knowing what to add and how to adjust to get that extra revolution. Once landed, it's about improving and perfecting the technique to get it consistent. I think the process may be very mental other than countless trials and errors. Patrick brought his 4T to a high consistent level overnight with the epiphany from watching Baryshnikov's videos.

Patrick has a very strong core essential for these quads. I don't doubt he will be adding new ones to his arsenals.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This picture shows that only the young one is dull. Patrick needs to get with it and not be shamed by the crazy Canucks!

Old Canadian geezers :rock:. Best golf outfits! :clap: :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay folks, let's get a fashion grip on reality. Just because your Canadian you can be patriotic without looking like a curler who went shopping after the 1988 Olympics at Value village. And worse wearing red and white with maple leaf garments undoubtedly made in China does not make you more Canadian. Pierre Elliot Trudea and Sir John A MacDonald must be turning over in their maple wood graves. Good grief, this is a fashion nightmare. Where is the fashion police when you need them. Canada would be the fashion nightmare of the world if their fans showed up in these red and white monstrocities.Not even Justin Bieber can make these fashion winners.

People let's give Kudos to patrick for showing some fashion restraint and good taste. Sure it looks like he is wearing a knock off Prada suit from I'd say Zara ( do I see a 2008 sheen to that suit????) and yes, I think we can all tell the tie should have been a thin one and it looks like Patrick's is polyester. I understand if he was skating and wearing it - you'd want the sweat to roll off but this is dress wear.

We don't want Patty to look like a tourist - that red and white fashion tragedy should have been stopped at the door of each of those dudes houses. Obviously they don't own mirrors. Sometimes i feel I should be sending out my personal phone number and email address to help beautify the world. But then I would never have time to sleep.

Think of Patty's suit as like a well done freeskate with a minor bobble - still winning gold:)

loreley

Rinkside
Hello, Patrick Chan fans! :)

Patrick won in this year's "Russian FSO Awards" (it is organized by biggest russian figure skating forum - FSOnline) in two categories - "Best non-Russian Skater" and "Best Exhibition Program". I am happy that "Elegie" won, love-love-love that program, great that so much people also appreciate it :clap:

And thank you for all links, info and discussions, I follow this topic from the very first page and reading you is always a pleasure.
(sorry for mistakes, incorrect words etc, need to work on my English)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
WOW! Welcome loreley! I hope you have enjoyed this continuing fest. You are such a fabulous gift bearing fest joiner! Thank you thank you! Links please!

(I decided to use up my exclamation mark quota in this page.)

loreley

Rinkside
WOW! Welcome loreley! I hope you have enjoyed this continuing fest.
You are such a fabulous gift bearing fest joiner! Thank you thank you! Links please!
Thanks! Yes, I certainly enjoyed this fest :yes:

There is no links to official results of award (with photos and text) on their website yet, as people just finished voting on June 30; there's only post on forum with results on all categories.
Now they will prepare prizes-souvenirs to all winners and will give it to skaters during grand-prix series (at least it was like that in previous years).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Patrick won in this year's "Russian FSO Awards" (it is organized by biggest russian figure skating forum - FSOnline) in two categories - "Best non-Russian Skater" and "Best Exhibition Program". I am happy that "Elegie" won, love-love-love that program, great that so much people also appreciate it :clap:

And thank you for all links, info and discussions, I follow this topic from the very first page and reading you is always a pleasure.

Great, stupendous job loreley. Awesome English - I wish I had time to proofread lol). Awesome information and that you would share it. I wonder what the Russians think of Patrick - I guess we now know:)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Welcome on board, loreley!

Great news from Russian forum!:yay: Thank you so much! Russians are generally very knowledgable in skating!:thumbsup:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside

Thank you so much for the great news, loreley! I'm extremely happy to hear so many Russian skating fans appreciate Patrick:yay:
And also happy about your joining us! It's so wonderful to know people around the world love his skating regardless of their nationalities. :clap: