Patrick Chan | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Still in the nostalgia mode, and since Emi reminded us that July 14th was the anniversary of Mr. Colson's passing, as well as this 2007 article by Randy Starkman, Patrick's friend who also recently passed, here is

Skating's Odd Couple

which supports my postulation of how motivated Patrick is by his late coach's high expectation of and belief in him.

So we are still waiting for the Kingdom to come, and Patrick has been staying in Toronto, surely not wasting time there. I presume any old coach would have been announced already. So perhaps his new coach has a lot to consider and try out before the finalization? Perhaps a skating legend who has never intended to coach, who has possibly conflicting role to negotiate and adjust, who has to be sure about the major career decision, but who may be tempted by Patrick's huge talent and potential and maybe even the elusive Olympic glory?

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
I chanced into this article from before Patrick won his first Canadian Championships.

Time is 17-year-old Patrick Chan’s best friend
In hindsight, wished Buttle had not retire before Sochi. He could have won a medal without a quad! He's an all round gorgeous skater too.
Welcome loreley. Thank you for the info from Russia. Nice to connect with Patrick's fan from different countries.
BB, you are 'back in town'. Yeah. ;)
SF, I am still waiting for the 10 days to pass to confirm all the speculative news on Patrick. Now you make sure you update us right on the 10th day! :)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I have to say that to me (and people will most likely disagree with me), his lasting legacy won't be the championships he wins, or even the programs we have come to enjoy. Patrick is making the men's event in Canada the one to watch again. Canadian men have always been successful, but usually outside the top two, it's a struggle to find consistent men. Now you have juniors like Nguyen, or novices like Kan. Canadian men's event may have the same depth as Russian and Japanese ladies in the very near future.

All because the boys want to be like Patrick. And you can see it--in the past, the men wanted to jump like Elvis, and only focused on getting the tough jumps. The interviews of Kan and Nguyen have both saying they want to work on their in-betweens.

lakeside

On the Ice
All because the boys want to be like Patrick. And you can see it--in the past, the men wanted to jump like Elvis, and only focused on getting the tough jumps. The interviews of Kan and Nguyen have both saying they want to work on their in-betweens.
Yes, Patrick’s in-betweens are what made him so special. I also like that when he has such complicated in-betweens he still goes for 3 quads. He’s such a hard-working skater!

emdee

Final Flight
Welcome to the Fan Fest lakeside!

How many days before the 10 days are up SF?

Am really looking forward to the Nats - thats where historically Patrick has his best skates.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Yes, Patrick’s in-betweens are what made him so special. I also like that when he has such complicated in-betweens he still goes for 3 quads. He’s such a hard-working skater!

May I say the word "talented" is more suitable in this case? Patrick is very natural and gifted when it comes to skating. He is good at both jumping and spining, while possessing the best skating skills. It rare to find such an all-round skater.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have to say that to me (and people will most likely disagree with me), his lasting legacy won't be the championships he wins, or even the programs we have come to enjoy. Patrick is making the men's event in Canada the one to watch again. Canadian men have always been successful, but usually outside the top two, it's a struggle to find consistent men. Now you have juniors like Nguyen, or novices like Kan. Canadian men's event may have the same depth as Russian and Japanese ladies in the very near future.

I have long proclaimed Patrick's substantial influence in figure skating, especially after his first World title when he definitively and permanently raised the bar. Now the standard is no more artistry or jumps, nor transitions or quads. Today's "all round" skaters include quads in their arsenals. Even when he was a teenager, Patrick had already inspired the next generation of young skaters, even his peers, to master skating skills and footwork like never before. We see his influence in many up and comers including his admitted admirers Han Yan and Joshua Farris, the best Junior Men today.

emdee and spikydurian, you are really hanging on to my words, aren't you? Hmmm, here is a new distraction: Guru SF's update du jour is that Patrick will have 4 Lz for this season. ;)

emdee

Final Flight
Namaste and shukriya SF: The guru has spoken.

I too think he will have the Quad Lutz especially since a few others have it as well and he was so close last year. Of course he will debut it at Nats!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Namaste and shukriya SF: The guru has spoken.

I too think he will have the Quad Lutz especially since a few others have it as well and he was so close last year.

I believe only Mroz has his 4 Lz credited by ISU and he has not been able to land it in an event outside of a local rink.

Of course he will debut it at Nats!

You may be surprised. ;)

Namaste.

emdee

Final Flight
Thats true about Mroz but then did I not just read that Dai had landed it perfectly - could have been viewed through rose coloured glasses - but if he did good for him.