Patrick Chan | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Fenena said:
Thank you so much for the words of warm welcome.
Yes, I love Patrick. He has been the apple of my eye!
I was literally afraid of coming to this whole forum because of the whole bitching and complaining of haters. Now I'm so happy to find this thread. Thank you all
We are delighted to have a peaceful lurker joining us, Fenena. We not only share our adoration for Patrick here, we also get to know each other. You never know, despite the vast seas and distance, we Patrick fans may meet each other some day.
Oh yes, Patrick is the ‘persimmon’ of my eye (because I love persimmons).
And SF is right. You are indeed a ‘quiet sort’. Registered since 2009 and only FIVE posts. You can start your catching up in Patrick’s thread. ;)

Emdee said:
However had to chase the Canada geese a few times and raccoons have marked their territory on my deck!
Gee what sort of party is that, Emdee? Chasing Canada geese?

Thinking of going to Thornhill next month will see a few people but no PC.
Aww Emdee, do it do it do it! Your procrastination is slowly killing me.

Skatefiguring said:
So the first thing you do is press me? Say hello to Fenena! And lakeside. Not sure about l'etoile - she looks like an old friend - say hello to her too. We've got new company.
Now show and tell us about your party.
^^^ Is this a distraction tactic, SF?:p

emdee

Final Flight
I was never worried about Hanyu but now with all these quads plus 3A he is beginning to frighten me. Of course he will need nerves of steel and I dont go for all those bursting into tears.

spikydurian

Medalist
I was never worried about Hanyu but now with all these quads plus 3A he is beginning to frighten me. Of course he will need nerves of steel and I dont go for all those bursting into tears.
Ohmmmm Emdee. ;) All skaters will do their best be they Hanyu, Dai, Han Yan, Jeremy, Weir, Gashinki, Plushenko etc. Patrick just need to concentrate on stretching himself and not think about what others will do. And that's what he has been doing all these years - do what he had done in practice. We already know quads and 3A are a must for the world stage and there are more than a handful getting these two jumps.

emdee

Final Flight
Spiky,

Yes Quads and 3As are a must but Hanyu is doing a Quad followed by a 3A - Cannot recall the point values but it will be phenomenal.
Patty will have to do 2 Quads plus 2 3As to add up.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So looks like Patrick is keeping us on the edge of a bench for a little longer, isn't he? Well, I think Patrick and his parents are not just athletic, but also smart people. So Patrick should be fine at last.

lakeside

On the Ice
Hey I can be as good at starting rumour as anybody. If the haterz can insist on rewriting history and twisting records I certainly am entitled to tell future history and records. :biggrin:
Is this what you saw on the other board? I get that some people don’t like Patrick’s artistry etc., but rewriting history and twisting records… Ohmmmmmm.

Yes Quads and 3As are a must but Hanyu is doing a Quad followed by a 3A - Cannot recall the point values but it will be phenomenal.
You know you would only get 80% of points if you do jumps ending with 3a. Some people think this rule is stupid, but in this case it means Hanyu can’t do those jumps at competitions. Even though 4t-3a and 4s-3a are phenomenal jumps, he can’t do them at competions because he would only get 80% of the points for doing them. That kid loves to do hard jumps, but he can only do them at shows.

emdee

Final Flight
Thanks lakeside I thought I was reading wrong. But if the rule changes....

Lakeside is a true blue fan standing up for PC against the haterz!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ah, I had a fun day swimming with the sharks today, snatching a few morsels in the markets, so I could only take a couple of glances at Patrick and his dear fans. Ok, there was an almost jittery moment for me this evening, but not about the sharks or Patrick. I imagine y'all have been keeping up the Ohmmmm while waiting for the Kingdom yet to come. ;)

You know you would only get 80% of points if you do jumps ending with 3a. Some people think this rule is stupid, but in this case it means Hanyu can’t do those jumps at competitions. Even though 4t-3a and 4s-3a are phenomenal jumps, he can’t do them at competions because he would only get 80% of the points for doing them. That kid loves to do hard jumps, but he can only do them at shows.

I think this is because this is not a true combination but a sequence.

Spiky,

COP is not very jump combo friendly so a strong competitor has to be smart about how to combine jumps to get maximum points. E.g. A quad+3A means loss of potential GOE value because each of these jumps has the highest GOE values but doing both in a combo will net only the same GOE as doing one of them, or even a reduced value if one of the jumps is inferior. To explain with examples, each GOE point is worth 1 point if scored on a quad or 3A. So a skater can add a maximum 3 points to the BV of a perfect quad or 3A. Adding a jump, be it 2T or another quad or 3A, does not add more GOE value but incurs the risk of fewer GOE points due to a less well executed jump in the combo. The purpose of doing a jump combo is to repeat the highest value jump, allowed only in one solo and one combo. If a skater combines his two highest value jumps, it is difficult to repeat both of them, because only one more 2 jump combo is allowed and the other has to be in a 3 jump combo. 3T is usually the highest value jump to tack on a first jump but itself cannot be repeated. So one of the combo has to use lowly double jumps. To illustrate in numbers:

4T, 4T+3T, 3A, 3A+2T have total BV of 10.30 + 14.40 + 8.5 + 9.8 = 43. The maximum GOE value will be 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 12. A potential maximum total score of 55.

4T+3A, 4T, 3A, 3T+2T will have total BV of 18.80X0.8 + 10.3 + 8.5 + 5.4 = 39.24. The maximum GOE value will be 3 + 3 +3 + 2.1 = 11.1. Total maximum score = 50.34.

It would be particularly stupid to have 20% of one's two highest value jumps deducted!

Is this what you saw on the other board? I get that some people don’t like Patrick’s artistry etc., but rewriting history and twisting records… Ohmmmmmm.

You are obviously so new here and missed all the times I compiled and showed data to quiet the myth spreaders, only temporarily at best.

That's still a month away!:(

But I will be here to decode the message of his new show program if he has one. :biggrin:

Oooh, welcome crosses9, ohmmmm with us if you can't follow the directive of Don't Worry, Be Happy. :biggrin:

emdee

Final Flight
Thanks SF for the explanation.
Glad I dont have to hold my breath any more shall go back to saying ohmmmmmmmmmmm

On another note - do I buy RIM now that PW owns so much? Lost my shirt on it already but if he is averaging....
Then the two of us (Prem and me) can say ohmmmmmm together!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks SF for the explanation.
Glad I dont have to hold my breath any more shall go back to saying ohmmmmmmmmmmm

Breathe deeply and don't hold your breath! Patrick is King because there ain't nobody to beat him in three scoring criteria: TES, PCS, and Competitiveness. He never gives up any part of his program no matter what happens. He never loses more than a fraction of a second for any mistake. He skates the highest level program with no room for error but he won't back down from such standard. No one else in the World is doing that. :thumbsup:

On another note - do I buy RIM now that PW owns so much? Lost my shirt on it already but if he is averaging....
Then the two of us (Prem and me) can say ohmmmmmm together!

Market volatility is my friend but your enemy. Step back for a few weeks if you don't have nerves like Patrick's. ;)

spikydurian

Medalist
Welcome crosses9. Happy to have you as part of the Patrick thread family.

l'etoile said:
That's still a month away!
It seems a long wait isn't it, l'etoile. But Korean fans are great. They upload vids almost immediately so I am patiently waiting for the ice show in August too.

Breathe deeply and don't hold your breath! Patrick is King because there ain't nobody to beat him in three scoring criteria: TES, PCS, and Competitiveness. He never gives up any part of his program no matter what happens. He never loses more than a fraction of a second for any mistake. He skates the highest level program with no room for error but he won't back down from such standard. No one else in the World is doing that.
Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Market volatility is my friend but your enemy. Step back for a few weeks if you don't have nerves like Patrick's.
So risk assessment is your hobby? ;) Good news for Patrick. A fan with an analytical mind is always useful.

lakeside

On the Ice
Thanks lakeside I thought I was reading wrong. But if the rule changes....
You’re welcome.

Lakeside is a true blue fan standing up for PC against the haterz!
:yes:

You are obviously so new here and missed all the times I compiled and showed data to quiet the myth spreaders, only temporarily at best.
Yes, I’m new here, but I’m glad to join the Patrick Chan Fan Fest. :laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
Lakeside you are lucky you missed the statements that Chan would win even with 10 falls.

In a way I am almost happy that he lost at WTT so that he is the chaser and not the chased.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So risk assessment is your hobby? ;) Good news for Patrick. A fan with an analytical mind is always useful.

Risk assessment is not a hobby but a tool. I leverage big moves in the markets. Now you believe Guru SF ain't got no jittery mind? And the forum sharks don't scare me? :laugh: