Patrick Chan | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks SF - we have been viewing them in the other threads.

Ah, I see. The fest is everywhere but here.

And this is where Patrick fans come to worry and fret? Excuse me for spoiling such fun.

I am getting very impatient and nervous. I truly hope a great skater with so much potential is not going to be destroyed by the loss of his choreographer and coach.

Do you think that Patrick's achievements are all because of his choreographer and the latest coach? That he can be so easily destroyed? Excusez-moi! Patrick's problems with coaches have been that they want him too much. Ever since he was a babe on blades, they have fought and schemed and politicked over him. Fortunately his parents were grounded to keep perspectives and focus. As he broke into the Senior rank and has been stirring up a storm in figure skating world, his aspiration to be ever better and continuous seeking of the right mentors for the next development have bruised some egos and caused conflicts and resignations, even if reluctant.

But it is asking a lot from Patrick without these key figures in his life and skating career.

Yes, a perfect team is not easy to assemble and keep in perfect function. But Patrick is in the driver's seat now. He is the irreplaceable one at the centre, not the support staff. He would be welcomed with open arms by almost any coach. The fact that there has been no news about a new coach indicates he is being very choosy and particular, willing to work out complications and details or to just wait for the right person instead of settling in a panic. From being depressed about the imposed change to realizing it is a necessary part of his evolution, he has the right winner mindset and will go about his skating career as a winner.

Hanyu and Takahashi are waiting like vultures to take over the throne.

Patrick is the hunted one now and more than Takahashi and Hanyu are chasing.

They are improving and have great talent; Patrick needs to improve too not go backwards.

Great talent both but there is no evidence they are improving. Their fans are fidgety and nervous as hell. Takahashi only started his new SP choreography recently and his LP is not done yet AFAIK. His feeling the need to have Morosov the Russian on his team contrasts with Patrick taking his time and keeping his cool about picking a new coach. And some Hanyu's fans have been very disappointing to me, acting like they don't have faith in him, so worried about his future that they preemptively bash and trash two greatly respected skating icons for any possible let down by their teen idol. :sarcasm:

The new season hasn't started yet and there is no evidence that anyone is improving or going backwards. As far as Takahashi and Hanyu are concerned as rivals, one has peaked and one has a long way to go. As far as competitions are concerned, Patrick is also in the driver's seat. It's up to his rivals if they are driven to be determined or crazy. :biggrin:

Cheers. Smile like Patrick.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Ah, I see. The fest is everywhere but here.

And this is where Patrick fans come to worry and fret? Excuse me for spoiling such fun.

SF, this interpretation has changed the whole meaning of emdee's original post.:p

Do you think that Patrick's achievements are all because of his choreographer and the latest coach? That he can be so easily destroyed? Excusez-moi! Patrick's problems with coaches have been that they want him too much. Ever since he was a babe on blades, they have fought and schemed and politicked over him. Fortunately his parents were grounded to keep perspectives and focus. As he broke into the Senior rank and has been stirring up a storm in figure skating world, his aspiration to be ever better and continuous seeking of the right mentors for the next development have bruised some egos and caused conflicts and resignations, even if reluctant.

Yes, a perfect team is not easy to assemble and keep in perfect function. But Patrick is in the driver's seat now. He is the irreplaceable one at the centre, not the support staff. He would be welcomed with open arms by almost any coach. The fact that there has been no news about a new coach indicates he is being very choosy and particular, willing to work out complications and details or to just wait for the right person instead of settling in a panic. From being depressed about the imposed change to realizing it is a necessary part of his evolution, he has the right winner mindset and will go about his skating career as a winner.

Patrick is the hunted one now and more than Takahashi and Hanyu are chasing.

Great talent both but there is no evidence they are improving. Their fans are fidgety and nervous as hell. Takahashi only started his new SP choreography recently and his LP is not done yet AFAIK. His feeling the need to have Morosov the Russian on his team contrasts with Patrick taking his time and keeping his cool about picking a new coach. And some Hanyu's fans have been very disappointing to me, acting like they don't have faith in him, so worried about his future that they preemptively bash and trash two greatly respected skating icons for any possible let down by their teen idol. :sarcasm:

The new season hasn't started yet and there is no evidence that anyone is improving or going backwards. As far as Takahashi and Hanyu are concerned as rivals, one has peaked and one has a long way to go. As far as competitions are concerned, Patrick is also in the driver's seat. It's up to his rivals if they are driven to be determined or crazy. :biggrin:

Cheers. Smile like Patrick.

I truly hope that you are right on these. So far Patrick fans have been so modest compared with Hanyu fans and Takahashi fans who were blaming and bashing on their coaches and everything around them. Johnson's been very lucky so far. But her 15 minutes comfy might be up soon. If Patrick doesn't have a strong showing in the begining of the season and he is still with Johnson and no other new skating coach, expect hurricane blowing their way.:laugh:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
SF, this interpretation has changed the whole meaning of emdee's original post.

I had to segue from somewhere and Emdee had to take the fall for pages of whining. ;) The posters here only care about the coaching and new program music. I had waited for someone to bring ATS reports and videos while I rest my weary bones. There are people, including lurkers, who come here for such info. They were probably :rolleye: over our silly rhythming, not that we wouldn't break out again in such and other silly fun any time. :p

I truly hope that you are right on these. So far Patrick fans have been so modest compared with Hanyu fans and Takahashi fans who were blaming and bashing on their coaches and everything around them. Johnson's been very lucky so far.

I brought up Hanyu's and Takahashi's fans only to demonstrate that almost every contender has issues that worry their concerned fans. I was offering an opportunity for the whiners here to get off the hook of my chiding. ;) Most fans seem to think that it's their job to worry and fret.

If Patrick doesn't have a strong showing in the begining of the season and he is still with Johnson and no other new skating coach, expect hurricane blowing their way.

Two ifs but both quite probable. Then it will be time for :popcorn:. For every unfolding of events, there will be cheers and there will be laments. It is a journey full of dramas.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Whining & Bitching you wont hear from me
As I soon wend the path to eternity
A prayer for skatefiguring I will say
And one for Patrick every day
Contemplation and meditation as I walk
I'll come back and talk the talk!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whining & Bitching you wont hear from me
As I soon wend the path to eternity

So, if Kingdom won't come to emdee, emdee is going to Kingdom.

A prayer for skatefiguring I will say

Thank you. Truly appreciated.

And one for Patrick every day

He deserves it.

Contemplation and meditation as I walk
I'll come back and talk the talk!

I hope you have vivid memories and descriptions of the Kingdom. :yes:

Best video of Mannish Boy so far though he fell on the first jump. I don't think he has fallen in this program before. I called this piece a macho cheese before but this cheese has aged very nicely. Maybe he is more comfortable being a sexy young man now or maybe it's just easier to flirt with those adoring Korean fans.

'Til Kingdom Come. I just realized why I didn't fully enjoy this program: It's the damn "costume"! Not only does it not relate to the song particularly, it is also not flattering or showing his lines well. Not only is it a poor colour scheme, it is ill fitting and looks cheap, especially those pants. The bad cut and the way they rise up his legs are very unattractive and distracting instead of enhancing his wonderful skating and the program. I wonder whose idea and selection it was. :confused:

OK, I know there is a story that goes with this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaysimage/7860711244/in/set-72157631245017988/lightbox/

Click "Previous" for more.

eta. It looks like Patrick and Brian are sharing a joke in these photos.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
SF you are correct the Mannish Boy video is wonderful and he has really grown up to be a sexy young man!

I too dont like Til Kingdom Come but the edges in that song are really spectacular.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
'Til Kingdom Come. I just realized why I didn't fully enjoy this program: It's the damn "costume"! Not only does it not relate to the song particularly, it is also not flattering or showing his lines well. Not only is it a poor colour scheme, it is ill fitting and looks cheap, especially those pants. The bad cut and the way they rise up his legs are very unattractive and distracting instead of enhancing his wonderful skating and the program. I wonder whose idea and selection it was. :confused:

This costume was truly unflattering.

I love both opening and closing group numbers' costumes very much, though!

Thanks so much for all the photos and links! This is funny!:)

Well, we don't need to wait till Skate Canada. Japan Open will be on Oct. 6. At that time, we'll probably see his LP. There is a big chance of he and Buttle converting Elegie to LP. Otherwise, I agree with Emdee, he should have performed it at this summer's ATS.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love both opening and closing group numbers' costumes very much, though!

They are nice, aren't they? Quite different from previous ATS issues, these are crisp, simple, well fitting, and very flattering. Quite timeless too, instead of super trendy.

Well, we don't need to wait till Skate Canada. Japan Open will be on Oct. 6. At that time, we'll probably see his LP.

Well, that's why I said that he was saving the reveal as my birthday gift. ;) Maybe.

There is a big chance of he and Buttle converting Elegy to LP. Otherwise, I agree with Emdee, he should have performed it at this summer's ATS.

I doubt very much that they would and I hope not. Elegie is not a COP program and converting it will ruin its beauty and still not be ideal for competition. I can think of two reasons off the top of my head why he didn't perform it at this ATS. 1. It was meant as a commemoration of Mr. Colson as he defended his Worlds title on his late coach's birthday. He may have retired it, except for appropriate future events. 2. He didn't want to repeat both Elegie and Mannish Boy which he had performed at ATS Spring this year, so he replaced one of them with a newer program. 3. Seeing it was ATS, he decided on both programs choreographed by David Wilson, as a gesture of tribute.

OK, I stretched 2 reasons into 3. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I doubt very much that they would and I hope not. Elegie is not a COP program and converting it will ruin its beauty and still not be ideal for competition. I can think of two reasons off the top of my head why he didn't perform it at this ATS. 1. It was meant as a commemoration of Mr. Colson as he defended his Worlds title on his late coach's birthday. He may have retired it, except for appropriate future events. 2. He didn't want to repeat both Elegie and Mannish Boy which he had performed at ATS Spring this year, so he replaced one of them with a newer program. 3. Seeing it was ATS, he decided on both programs choreographed by David Wilson, as a gesture of tribute.
OK, I stretched 2 reasons into 3. :)

Well, they are also true. I thought about them too. But I also thought Elegie was the kind of program Patrick wants to explore this season. That was the reason he's leaning on Kathy Johnson rather than Christy Krall. I agree that it will not be a very good CoP program but it will guarantee to be liked by viewers which is another Patrick Chan's pursuit for this season. I also thought about Tuly said seeing Buttle's soaring program for Patrick. What could be "soaring"? Elegie fits it. I could be all wrong though. Is there more for this piece of music? Any different cuts?

Will one of these two Wilson programs become his SP?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But I also thought Elegie was the kind of program Patrick wants to explore this season.

So he did and it was a great success. Why alter it?

That was the reason he's leaning on Kathy Johnson rather than Christy Krall.

He leaned on both for different aspects of his skating. Krall quit because of Johnson, not Patrick. She made that quite clear.

I agree that it will not be a very good CoP program but it will guarantee to be liked by viewers which is another Patrick Chan's pursuit for this season.

There is no guarantee, especially if it is altered/adapted/bastardized. I don't think he looks for guarantee if he is in pursuit of higher level in his skating. Achieving artistry within the COP constraint is a challenge very few can meet and I think it is actually of interest to Patrick to excel within it. Winning competitions offers him more opportunities to show his artistry in a variety of exhibition programs.

I also thought about Tuly said seeing Buttle's soaring program for Patrick. What could be "soaring"? Elegie fits it. I could be all wrong though. Is there more for this piece of music? Any different cuts?

I thought about if "soaring" was a fitting description of Elegie but I think there are better adjectives for it.

Will one of these two Wilson programs become his SP?

Highly improbable. Or, no way.

You are reaching for clues in trying too hard to figure out his new programs!

spikydurian

Medalist
Gee.. the both of you [Guru and BB] are back with a vengence. Especially Guru ...
Oi, that's what Guru is for! To take care of Patrick's flocks etc. etc. etc. You name it, you have to do it! You don't get the privilege of being the Guru for nothing including the privilege of waving your finger ... [hope it's not the middle one] ... at us.:biggrin: The icy mountains must have been a great place for recharging. Hey Emdee, don't lose out this weekend. Come back fully recharged to kick ar@#.
Let's take a bet. I bet Elegy will be one of his programs. :p
I think Til Kingdom Come is a skate which has to grow on you. It is not upbeat nor is it dramatic.
The costumes in All That Skate are less colourful. In fact, I like the ladies' beach wear though I find the men's ..hmm..kind of .. too sailor like and kiddy? I think a white long with striped tees may be nicer. JMPO. Anyway, still better than the super duper colourful costumes of previous years.

Alright, in order not to be reprimanded by the fearful Guru, I am uploading an old vid of Patrick when he was only 15, the SP at the Junior Worlds 2005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2oCKyvsCJk
He's already relatively fast on ice and soo cute. :love:

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
OK SF wants the music revealed for his birthday - mine too ( OCt 13th)!
I still think he will do Elegy/ part of Elegy. His last use of Rachmaninoff was 1 year only and he was able to use it for a long program.
In any case if he does not do Elegy he will in my opinion do something similar exploring a different aspect of his skating.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He leaned on both for different aspects of his skating. Krall quit because of Johnson, not Patrick. She made that quite clear.

Johnson and Krall have had conflicts for sure. But Patrick chose to go Johnson's way instead of Krall's way. She and Patrick including Patrick's mom started to have different ideas on his training. Krall felt her way wasn't followed by Patrick, not because it wasn't followed by Kathy Johnson. That was the reason she quit.

As of his new SP, why it was highly improbable to choose one of these Wilson programs? Many skaters have used their new SP for their performances in the shows lately.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan 2012.08.24 All That Skate Summer Opening (1) He wears my favorite of all guys' outfits. And we get an up close Patrick smile and greeting at the end.

Mannish Boy The video quality is not the greatest but the skating is, and the perspective is great. We can see this piece is designed for audience interaction, aka shameless flirting, from one edge of the rink to another coz we all know his ice coverage ability. Watch the look he gives the audience up close at 2:13! "Get a load of me! ;)"

Yuna KIM - All of Me. Watch how jazzy dancy he is, even more than Stephane! See how he uses his whole body like a dancer while the other guys are moving as skaters. All the dance lessons do pay off. I would love to see a jazzy dancy Chan's SP with all the sassy moves.

eta. I think Yuna's performance is great in AOM but that's been talked about a lot already in many many threads and blogs, etc.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan 2012.08.24 All That Skate Summer Opening (1) He wears my favorite of all guys' outfits. And we get an up close Patrick smile and greeting at the end.

That's what I thought! Yagudin's red wasn't very good looking (but I think it suits his age and body type well). Lambiel's was too blue. I love Patrick's sailor uniform the best among the men in that program! And the sailor suit fits Patrick's personality very well. I wish he wore this in his sailor ex. program in 2011.

And Patrick was the handsomest in All of Me.

But I wasn't keen about his costumes in both his solos. Was Tuly making his costume decisions for these programs? I can't remember any good costumes from him in ex. programs.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Actually with his dance training all of his numbers have a new dimension. Even the smallest movement is wonderfully executed.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually with his dance training all of his numbers have a new dimension. Even the smallest movement is wonderfully executed.

I watched the beginning of All Of Me over and over to compare the four great Men skaters moving together on ice. Patrick dances to every beat with his whole body, including beautiful arm extension. I also see how much his skating skills play a big part in his being so light and musical. When he does the strolling, he just glide along easily and his other foot is just tapping as dance moves without any pushing at all, yet he maintains the same speed as the others, smoothly and steadily. There are details in every move he makes. So wonderful yet he makes it look so easy. Too easy for many to appreciate but when compared side by side with the other great skaters, he stands out way above with unmistakable artistry and superior skating skills. I wouldn't have thought a year ago I would make these comments with Stephane Lambiel right there with him! He matches Yuna musically but it's her number and she has trained so much for it.

Robotic my foot.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I, too, thought Patrick's movement in All Of Me was the best among those four men. It does sound unbelievable with Lambiel in there. He has really kept the Jazz flavor in his dance and somehow made me fixed my eyes onto him alone.:p Is he the most attractive man among them? No!!! But his movement was so handsome!

Someone needs to let Patrick know that he should change his costumes in his solos. I imagine that if he had worn the striped sailor suit in his sailor program in 2011, I'd have loved that program much much more.

emdee

Final Flight
I find Lambiel's moves artistic but there is a studied artistry though he has an innate sense of music.

Patrick now seems to feel the music with every fibre of his being almost breathe the music. I never thought I would gush in this way about anyone but when you see them side by side you realize this.

I remember as a young skater there was talk about his musicality by Kurt and Tracy - I think in the quest for higher and higher levels and jumps this got stifled a bit but when those come naturally now his musicality really shows.