Patrick Chan | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Wow, he's becoming a prince for his sp!! I'm totally excited for that costume sneak peek now!
Not sure whether this costume is for the SP or LP. He didn't indicate in his FB. And we probably have to wait till Skate Canada for the costumes to be unveiled. He didn't wear his Aranjuez costume in Japan Open last year. I love figure skating costumes (though some can be rather shocking IMO but it's alright in the name of a good laugh)so am looking ahead what the other skaters have to show too.
Here's a link to a vid on costumes for Le Boheme. Generally not flashy since the characters are supposed to be 'working class or artists'. Curious what Tu Ly has designed for Patrick. :) http://centralcityoperafestival.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/costumes-of-la-boheme.html

Link to interviews with Patrick and Kathy Johnson. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...n-skaters-ready-after-lengthy-off-season.html

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Backs from vacay and a bit shocked at the costumes. Am a bit of an old fogie as well.

However, I think I am one of those who love Patrick any way I can see him and if the costumes meet the choreo that will be the main thing.

spikydurian

Medalist
I think Patrick looks great in these pictures from Skate Canada:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
This is the BEST. Casual smart. Looks great in this blue gingham shirt.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Here's a link to Patrick's visit to Trinity College School on September 13th, as the first guest speaker in the Mac Campbell Lecture Series to the year 12 graders. Seems that Patrick showed videos of all his falls. :laugh: (I like his ability to laugh at himself.) The focus of his talk was not about his success but how his failures were part of the road to success. Yes, such a talk will be useful to these kids who will be finishing school and embarking on their next journey be it in University or work. It's a different world ... a different journey. It is my belief that some times, failures and disappointments are better teachers than success. Good on you Patrick. Go and share your journey with those who can benefit based on others' hindsights/experience.
http://www.northumberlandview.ca/index.php?module=news&type=user&func=display&sid=17294

Note that there are further pictures of Patrick with the students in this link if you click on 'click here for more photos'.

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick must be an earnest and good speaker because I read somewhere that he is a motivational speaker and has spoken to some major corporations on the speaking circuit.

spikydurian

Medalist
Patrick must be an earnest and good speaker because I read somewhere that he is a motivational speaker and has spoken to some major corporations on the speaking circuit.
Glad to hear Patrick is acquiring new skills like public speaking.:)
BTW, being the curious me, I clicked on Trinity School. Wee ... nearly 30 gran a year for day students? That's very expensive even by Australia's standard! What's SSAT? I guess it's similar to Australia's ACER, an objective and writing test which students sit for particularly for entry into public selective high schools including some private schools.

emdee

Final Flight
There are a few Trinity Schools but I think this may be the one in NYC? The ones in Canada are Trinity College School and Holy Trinity.

Private Schools in Canada range from 15 or 16,000 per year to $35,000. This is for day school. But our school system is quite decent and there is no need to send your kids to one. I did send my daughter to one which was on the lower end of the fees and was for higher academics than the schools run by the school boards. Also had smaller classes( only 20 students).

SSAT is the Secondary School Admission test - its a standardized testing that they have to do for admission. She did it in the 6th grade for admission to the 7th grade in private school. Most of the private schools require it along with their own tests as well as interviews. Its quite hard to get into the private schools inspite of the high fees.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
The crew of TV Tokyo, which will broadcast Japan Open next month, recently visited Toronto to report on Patrick.

According to its facebook, they could not help getting drawn into his skating while watching his practice.
His skating was so overwhelming and that of a champion, they said.

They interviewed David Wilson and asked him what Patrick lacked. Wilson's answer was Patrick lacks for nothing:laugh:
They also reported Patrick had been training hard without a break, saying he still had room for growth.

http://www.facebook.com/txfigure
This page is written in Japanese, but you can enjoy some photos.

Last edited:

loreley

Rinkside
Thank you so much for translation, Aprilsnowy!
I am literally counting down the days until Japan Open, can't wait to see Patrick's new program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Our Japan Bureau Chief scores again! :rock: Thank you!

I assumed they reported on Jeff also? They really do have the budget for the program and the promotion, don't they?

emdee

Final Flight
Good to see you back SF!

We can start the countdown - cannot believe that the JO is almost here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good to see you back SF!

I know some of you were wondering about me. Well I wasn't here much but checked in once in a while to see that festivities were going on without me so that was good. :thumbsup:

I am having challenging and exciting experiences. I'm not at the computer so much these days and when I'm I have to focus on work, a different kind of fun. ;) I believe in putting in the 20% effort that brings 80% of the results, forgoing the 80% and its 20% return. However, there are times I do have to do that 20%. :p

By JO, my birthday, I will be celebrating Patrick and my life.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So glad to see you, SF!

According to its facebook, they could not help getting drawn into his skating while watching his practice.
His skating was so overwhelming and that of a champion, they said.

They interviewed David Wilson and asked him what Patrick lacked. Wilson's answer was Patrick lacks for nothing:laugh:
They also reported Patrick had been training hard without a break, saying he still had room for growth.

Wow! Wilson said that?! That's great!

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes!!! All this only reiterates my opinion that one must see Patrick skate live to get the full benefit and appreciation of what he does on the ice. Thanks Aprilsnowy. I can't wait to see his new programs and I just purchased tickets for Worlds.

spikydurian

Medalist
Guru, we MISS you! Big spiky and pungent hug from Australia.;)
Aprilsnowy, :bow: for the pictures and news. I am also looking forward to JO. Can't wait to see everyone's new programs. And Wilson.. yes Wilson..he's ever so sweet and encouraging. Patrick did mention in his Skate Canada camp that Wilson makes him laugh all the time.
Ravensque, I am sooo jealous that you are going to the Worlds. Do give a report. Wish I live in the northern hemisphere where all the figure skating action seems to be. :scowl:

emdee

Final Flight
Ravensque are you going to the Canadians as well?

I was to go to Canadians but cannot make it now. May go for the first day and part of second if the schedule permits. The reason I am asking is that I am making a poster for V&M and want someone to take it to Canadians and bring it back so I can take it to worlds.

On another note will you make a banner for Patrick?

Spiky, I feel for you. We are so lucky in Canada and especially our area!

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Our Japan Bureau Chief scores again! :rock: Thank you!

I assumed they reported on Jeff also? They really do have the budget for the program and the promotion, don't they?

Yes, TV Tokyo held Jeff's talk event in Japan and I heard some of his lucky fans could attend it.
The price of a ticket for JO and COI is incredibly high and the venue, Saitama Arena is so huge that it has a large number of seats. No wonder they have the ample budget.

Though I got tickets for both JO and COI, at this moment I'm not sure if I can go:cry: But at least one of my friend who made a big banner of Patrick for me is going to cheer for him and Kozuka (her favorite).

BTW, the pleasure is mine - I always get much information about Patrick from all of you and I'm so happy everyone here seemed to be glad to read my poor translation.