Patrick Chan | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
If he has a new Ex from Dean its amazing that he chose a dancer to choreo it! I guess that PC is turning out into a great dancer as Max Aaron said.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has the skating skills of an Ice Dancer and is one of the best quad jumpers. Add the artistry of a Modern Dancer. An unparalleled combination!

Can't wait to see the result of the collaboration of two of the figure skating's greatest talents.

spikydurian

Medalist
After Patrick, Kozuka is also my favourite - he skates so softly on the ice!
Me 2 emdee. I can't wait for Kozuka to unveil his LP too ... cos' I love the music, Exodus too.
Can't wait for Patrick's new programs and his new Ex with Dean. Are you ready for the nice birthday present?;)

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
New photos - Patrick with Christopher :love:
Jayne and Chris @torvillanddean We had fun, and what a talent PC is. https://twitter.com/torvillanddean/status/252032967881392128/photo/1/large

Jayne and Chris @torvillanddean His new best friend…..The hat https://twitter.com/torvillanddean/status/252033189592301568/photo/1

Thanks for the links!
So happy to hear a legend like Dean highly speak of Patrick's talent and also personality;)

Though I had to cancel my plan to going to the Skate Canada in Windsor for my family circumstances, I've decided to go to both JO and COI. I'm sure it will be a memorable experience for me.
According to his tweet, he's also looking forward to coming to Japan and eating delicious Japanese ramen:laugh:

I wish I could visit Canada and cheer for him with Canadian people before he retires.

SGrand

Final Flight
Patrick needs to jump on the Travis Wall train! Now there's a dancer/choreographer that can MOVE and his choreography is brilliant (especially for someone so young!). I would love for Patrick and Travis to meet and work together sometime, I think it would be insane!!!

spikydurian

Medalist
Aprilsnowy said:
I wish I could visit Canada and cheer for him with Canadian people before he retires.
Me 2, Aprilsnowy. At least you are luckier than me. You can watch JO and COI live! I live in the southern hemisphere and it's too far to fly up north to watch skating competitions and shows which I would love to. I have to contend with the mini computer screen. :scowl:
Emdee, we need you and Ravensque to report back to this thread after the competitions. You are going for Skate Canada too aren't you, Emdee? Who is going to the Canadian Nationals?

Patrick needs to jump on the Travis Wall train! Now there's a dancer/choreographer that can MOVE and his choreography is brilliant (especially for someone so young!). I would love for Patrick and Travis to meet and work together sometime, I think it would be insane!!!
Travis Wall the winner from the USA SYTYCD Season 1? I have only watched first two seasons of the American SYTYCD so I am not familiar with his choreography which I believe he did for the later SYTYCD shows? I love Mia Michael's choreos. I think she's brilliant. I am not sure how many more choreographers Patrick will try out with before Sochi season. For the main competition programs, I think he will probably stick to people he knows well and understand the COP though he can expand his horizon in show and Ex programs which he is doing now. Oh yeah ... maybe the two young men can work together some day, SGrand. Has Travis choreograph for other skaters?

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Me 2, Aprilsnowy. At least you are luckier than me. You can watch JO and COI live! I live in the southern hemisphere and it's too far to fly up north to watch skating competitions and shows which I would love to. I have to contend with the mini computer screen. :scowl:
Emdee, we need you and Ravensque to report back to this thread after the competitions. You are going for Skate Canada too aren't you, Emdee? Who is going to the Canadian Nationals?

Travis Wall the winner from the USA SYTYCD Season 1? I have only watched first two seasons of the American SYTYCD so I am not familiar with his choreography which I believe he did for the later SYTYCD shows? I love Mia Michael's choreos. I think she's brilliant. I am not sure how many more choreographers Patrick will try out with before Sochi season. For the main competition programs, I think he will probably stick to people he knows well and understand the COP though he can expand his horizon in show and Ex programs which he is doing now. Oh yeah ... maybe the two young men can work together some day, SGrand. Has Travis choreograph for other skaters?

He was in Season 2 of SYTYCD, but didn't win, Benji Schwimmer did (who choreo'd or at least helped with Jeremy Abbott's SP last year.....I think?). He is honestly amazing and so so gifted, even if Patrick (or any skater!) could just learn from him in some classes, that would be such a challenge, but I would think very rewarding as well. I adore Mia too, she is truly an artist, and I think Travis is one of the "next generation" of choreographers to make their mark on the dance world and take advantage of his TV success and the reality of what the dance world has become. I only suggest him working a bit with Patrick because PC seems so intent on filling his time with tons of different artistic influences right now and dance has really seemed to cross over to the skating world (eg. Jeremy with Benji and then Weaver and Poje working with Allison Holker, another SYTYCD allum who is outstanding!). How cool is that???? The whole reason why I started watching figure skating years ago was because there wasn't any dancing on TV, but even with all of the dance on right now, I still love skating and love that all of these talents are working and collaborating together!

ETA: Spiky, I'm not sure if he's worked with any skaters, I don't see him having a whole lot of time, but who knows? :)

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside

Sorry for my grumbling、spikydurian. You're right. At least I can watch his brand-new long program and perhaps new ex one, too. So I should have felt I was quite lucky. But Canada is so far away from where we live, isn't it?

BTW, have you noticed his recent interview video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlQFWOnbyI&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
^^^ Aprilsnowy, thanks for posting the vid on JO here. Please keep us posted on the show. I think Patrick is also excited to show off his new program to his fans in Japan. They always get to see his program first.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Brian and Patrick from Skate Canada Central Ontario. Full quote:

Congtratulations to Brian Orser and Patrick Chan who were each honoured at the Ontario Sport Legends Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on September 29th.

Orser was inducted into the Hall of Fame and joins such skating legends as Petra Burka, Elvis Stojko, Toller Cranston. Donald Jackson and the late Barbara Ann Scott as honoured members of the Hall.

Patrick Chan was named winner of the Syl Apps Award as the Hall’s 2012 Athlete of the Year. Voting for the award is conducted annually by the Ontario Sport Legends Hall of Fame. To be eligible for the Award, athletes must be Ontario-born or Ontario-based and made an outstanding and memorable contribution to Ontario sports during the previous calendar year.

Congratulations to you both!

emdee

Final Flight
Heartbreaking to see Patrick's results. However, its early in the season yet.
What is interesting is that others are so prepared this early.

I hope he is not injured or sick.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Such meltdown is either a body or mind issue, not about technical or physical preparedness. My first hope is that he is not injured or sick (body issue). Then that a mental issue is a one time problem he will overcome immediately and return to his default state of mind at competition.

He is reported to be smiling and performing his ex program so that is good news. I would like to read more reports about his demeanour and of course to see the program and read some interviews. The program sounds very difficult and different for Patrick. Lori is the one most familiar with his skating at the highest and most demanding level, i.e. the competitive LP. David Wilson is probably thrilled to have Patrick's skating skills to choreograph for and they are both pushing the limits, without the savvy to use the SS in the most effective and optimal way like Lori knows how.

As well, he was unfamiliar with having Krall present but not supporting him.

I am not worried. Patrick knows how to use each experience to better himself. Another part of the preparation for Sochi, and the coming season.

eta: There are several reports of his "disastrous skate" in Canadian French press. Words from Patrick:

« En arrivant ici, j'étais extrêmement motivé. Mais quand j'ai sauté sur la glace, je ne me suis pas senti très bien, a dit l'Ontarien de 21 ans. Ça fait partie des jours sans où les mauvaises choses s'enchaînent et où on se sent impuissant. »

Chan s'est toutefois dit content que la catastrophe le frappe dans une compétition sans enjeu

He was extremely motivated on arrival but didn't feel well when he stepped on the ice. It was one of those days when bad things happened in chain and one felt powerless. He is glad it happened at a competition with no stakes.

Last edited: