Patrick Chan | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Yipes! I hope this was a one-time thing. Maybe he just hasn't found his seasonal rhythm yet. In the comment, he says he didn't feel well. Maybe he had a stomach bug or something, or he didn't sleep right. That plus all the new stuff he's dealing with this season might be the problem.

(By the way, thanks for the translation. I got most of it with my rusty French, but sans enjeu stopped me.)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am, to the point that I'm almost pissed off at the situation he is in now! Wake up, Patrick!!! Kathy Johnson is not a solution! You cannot go through it by yourself!:bang:

There there. Ohmmmmmm..........

Calm down and don't jump to conclusion yet. There have been reports of his great choreo, SS, and performance so it's only jumps that went wrong at this particular time for whatever reason. It's a jump meltdown day, not a loss of any of his skills. Let's wait for the video and more reactions from those who were there.

You can't write off a phenomenal talent and reigning world champion based on one performance, especially the debut of a new ultra difficult program.

Another deep breath and...................

Everyone who's been to the event and watched Patrick's La Boheme says that it was the best program there. So I don't have any doubts on him. Things happen, better yet, it's good that this kind of thing did happen, now, not later in the season. Patrick needs to feel how the program is skated in competitive ice. And, everyone who's been to the event and watched his program also says that the transitions were crazy hard, and that it is the most difficult program he's ever done.

So, I'll follow guru SF's lead, ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Finally, a pic of his new costume, the one I expected:

http://spo.c.yimg.jp/im_siggTXs.15Z...tsnavi/channel/figure/121006_fig_chan0606.jpg

eta. Hey BB, remember the very recent comments on Patrick's talents by Wilson and Dean? I believe they were not lying, nor that Patrick has suddenly lost all those talents or his jumps!

etaa: From the protocol, Patrick still rotated all his big jumps but popped the last two jumps when he was likely either physically or mentally drained. The top three, OTOH had UR calls, Takahashi on his 4T<<+seq, 3A+3T<, and 3F<, Kozuka on 4T<+seq, and Buttle on 3F+3T<. What Patrick missed on the night was the landing. I am sure he will get it back in a normal state physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's not a knack he has; it's serious talent plus exceedingly hard work. That doesn't just evaporate.

There's an old story about someone going to a rink in Germany (happened to be Obertsdorf, I think) and seeing an ice dance couple stumbling through part of a routine. The visitor made a sniffy remark about how skaters shouldn't try to skate to a level they clearly weren't competent to reach. The couple, who were practicing an unusually difficult new set of moves, were Torvill and Dean.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's not a knack he has; it's serious talent plus exceedingly hard work. That doesn't just evaporate.

There's an old story about someone going to a rink in Germany (happened to be Obertsdorf, I think) and seeing an ice dance couple stumbling through part of a routine. The visitor made a sniffy remark about how skaters shouldn't try to skate to a level they clearly weren't competent to reach. The couple, who were practicing an unusually difficult new set of moves, were Torvill and Dean.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for telling it, Olympia :)

spikydurian

Medalist
I am, to the point that I'm almost pissed off at the situation he is in now! Wake up, Patrick!!! Kathy Johnson is not a solution! You cannot go through it by yourself!:bang:
Ouch ouch .. DON"T do that BB! You will crack your skull and I cannot run over to bandage for you. Don't add to my list of anxieties.:p

Skatefiguring said:
Calm down and don't jump to conclusion yet.
Wise Guru. Ohmmmmmm....

Tu Ly, thank you! I LOVE the costume. It's gorgeous and it suits Patrick so well. :love:

Here's the vid of Patrick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxA34ZU3XGk

I actually like it. Despite the falls, his speed and edges and transitions are all there. Gee, he skates super quick. I am looking forward to the program when he gets more comfortable and into the groove.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Love Patrick's new program. Once the jumps are in.... it will be great.
The footwork sequences are fabulous and it really showcases his deep edges throughout.
I too love the costume.

He looked very paie and wan when he got on the ice and kind of nervous too.

He is really super fast too and imagine how much faster he will be live.
GO PATRICK

If anyone wants to write any messages I will put it in a card and send it to his father or to the granite for him. Alternatively we can write on his facebook page.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I came home from a trip to Saitama where the JO and and COI were held.  
I've wanted to watch six minutes' warm-up at a competition for a long time and this time my dream came true.
His skating was prominent among those top skaters, so fast, graceful and powerful at the same time. And such incredibly deep edges:bow:
When I saw him nail 4T-3T and a 3A during practice, I thought he was in good shape. So those falls were extremely shocking for me and of course for Patrick .

I think it's just he's not got used to this new choreographer's program with difficult elements as well as his new training environment, as some people said not just here but also on other threads. And I'm afraid to say he's had some negative feeling about competing in Japan because he's never had a very good performance here except at ice shows :cry: So I think mental issue affected him more than the difficulty of this new program.

But even with such falls, I was sooo impressed with his expressive upper body's movement and gorgeous choreography. His skating has got even better. I saw Japanese fan tweeted this program will be a masterpiece and I also have a feeling this will become his signature program if he can perform it to its full potential.
According to tweets and blogs in Japan, skating fans were shocked to see his falls, however, many of them seemed to love this program. It's such a promising one:)

He performed "'Til Kingdom Come" at the COI. It was a gem! His skating looked smooth and fast, his expression and movement so soft.

I have to add one more thing. He actually looked so handsome, which many other skating fans seemed to notice. And I also realized his body line is beautiful, more slender than I had expected:love:

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Thanks April.

The main thing is that he has not lost his jumps he just has to feel comfortable in aligning them with the choreo. This is a problem he had with Aranjuez too.

YOu are correct many people who saw the program were really impressed by it. I was bowled over by Blades of Passion positive comments.

I came home from a trip to Saitama where the JO and and COI were held.  
I've wanted to watch six minutes' warm-up at a competition for a long time and this time my dream came true.
His skating was prominent among those top skaters, so fast, graceful and powerful at the same time. And such incredibly deep edges:bow:
When I saw him nail 4T-3T and a 3A during practice, I thought he was in good shape. So those falls were extremely shocking for me and of course for Patrick .

I think it's just he's not got used to this new choreographer's program with difficult elements as well as his new training environment, as some people said not just here but also on other threads. And I'm afraid to say he's had some negative feeling about competing in Japan because he's never had a very good performance here except at ice shows :cry: So I think mental issue affected him more than the difficulty of this new program.

But even with such falls, I was sooo impressed with his expressive upper body's movement and gorgeous choreography. His skating has got even better. I saw Japanese fan tweeted this program will be a masterpiece and I also have a feeling this will become his signature program if he can perform it to its full potential.
According to tweets and blogs in Japan, skating fans were shocked to see his falls, however, many of them seemed to love this program. It's such a promising one:)

He performed "'Til Kingdom Come" at the COI. It was a gem! His skating looked smooth and fast, his expression and movement so soft.

I have to add one more thing. He actually looked so handsome, which many other skating fans seemed to notice. And I also realized his body line is beautiful, more slender than I had expected:love:

Thanks for the report! It really showed that David poured so much attention to this program. Maybe, some of his best ideas for how a beautiful and beyond-limits skating program should be like are all jammed pack in that program. My expectations are way up there, now!

Boeing787

On the Ice
Have to say I don't like his new lp so much, it simply bears too much resemblance to Abott's Life is Beautiful. Aranjuez is much better IMHO.

I have an ominous feeling about this new season, I just hope I am 100% wrong.

emdee

Final Flight
Well Chan said that he is using this season to develop and not necessarily to win at the end of the last season.

I think Aranjuez may be technically better but this program without disruptions will reach out the audience better and draw you in.

spikydurian

Medalist
Wee.... B787 is back in town. Welcome back to tis season of ... you know what! :p

I have an ominous feeling about this new season, I just hope I am 100% wrong.
Hiya .... touch wood! :mad:

I love Aranjuez too. Patrick wanted to try something different hence La Boheme. It's definitely a risk to get out of one's comfort zone but let's see what comes.

Aprilsnowy, thank you very much for your kind reporting. Yes, this costume is flattering on him and he did look handsome (as always). :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Good to see you, Boeing787! Thanks to Aprilsnowy for the review!

I've seen Aranjuez as a love-at-first-sight. It took me four times viewing on La Boheme to finally decide that it is truly an amazing choreographed program. It does have some sort of connection between his program and Abbott's Life Is Beautiful. But this one is much more complicated than Abbott's program. This one could showcase Patrick's amazing edges and complexity in his footworks while Abbott's program didn't. I love it. If Patrick could skate it clean, this program could grow on me more.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Hi Durian and BB, yes, I am back! Good to see you gals again in cyberspace!

Yes, I agree La Boheme shows off Patrick's deeper edges, but it lacks the variety of movements Aranjuez boasted. The movements are not designed to match the tempo of the music either. Not to mention it reminds me of Abott's program all the time. The arm movements of the step sequence of the two programs are very similar. In Abott's case, it suited the story because in the movie the actor actually had such arm movement. But in Patrick's case, I don't see why it was designed this way. The only explanation is DW's lack of imagination.

Anyway, good luck to Patrick. He will really need it this season.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love Aranjuez and La Boheme. They are different and challenge him differently. As I wrote before, Lori is the one most familiar with Patrick's skating and she knows how to choreograph for his rhythm, which is his key to jump success. David Wilson is thrilled to have Patrick' skills to choreograph for and it's good that Patrick tries different way of handling a program. We are talking about the competitive LP, the most demanding of all skating programs. Meanwhile Patrick is dealing with other changes in his training. At the debut of such a program, being a little off physically, which I believe he was, and/or lacking a little confidence, could easily result in the loss of the jumps, which he still rotated fully. Everything else showcased his wonderful skating and performance. He is actually converting more fans with his 4 falls! Amazing. But his skating skills and artistry are becoming undeniable.

I am not alarmed by a one time meltdown. It happens to the best of them. It's the chronic issues a skater can't overcome (e.g. UR and wrong edge) that should be worrisome.

Deep breath. Ohmmmmm............ and get ready for some amazing performances to come.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry that I have much time. Just a quick message to Patrick fans. :)

So glad that Patrick does have very nice programs this season thanks to Wilson and Jeff, and am so glad that some other fans who were a bit too harsh on him in the past ;) are going to love his programs. :yes:
I am looking ofrward to how Patrick will mature with these great porgrams as season deepens! :yay: