Patrick Chan | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
OK, STARushka is now officially our Russia Bureau Chief and Global Roving Reporter. :clap: Thank you so much for your reports.

As to Patrick's ignorance of the -3 GOE for doing a single jump in an SP combo, which I was not aware of myself, :eek:: I'm sure that was because nobody, including himself, ever thought he would do a single after a quad. It's still a mystery why he did that. After all, he is the one with the advantage of adding the second jump to the later triple if the quad landing was not good enough because he does footwork into both jumps. And that is exactly what he usually does. So, :confused:

SGrand

Final Flight
OK, STARushka is now officially our Russia Bureau Chief and Global Roving Reporter. :clap: Thank you so much for your reports.

As to Patrick's ignorance of the -3 GOE for doing a single jump in an SP combo, which I was not aware of myself, :eek:: I'm sure that was because nobody, including himself, ever thought he would do a single after a quad. It's still a mystery why he did that. After all, he is the one with the advantage of adding the second jump to the later triple if the quad landing was not good enough because he does footwork into both jumps. And that is exactly what he usually does. So, :confused:

Yes, pretty confusing. I'm apt to think that he's getting so much more into his programs with the feeling and artistry, that maybe it was just a little bumble, like a lapse in judgement and he honestly just didn't know what to do and tried to think fast. It was right at the beginning of his skate though, so.......lol. Not sure if he has changed his strategy with regards to jumps, but he does seem to be going about them differently now Eg: he never used to pop or double jumps, just always went for them. :think::popcorn:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick is CBC's Athlete of the Weekend:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/20...dian-athlete-of-the-weekend-patrick-chan.html

There's also a podcast with Kurt, Tracy and PJ that was an interesting listen regarding PC.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...ns-performance-in-moscow-silences-doubts.html

I came across this podcast a couple of days ago but was too busy to listen to it. I tried many times today but it wouldn't play for me. :frown: Anybody else has this problem?

SGrand

Final Flight
I came across this podcast a couple of days ago but was too busy to listen to it. I tried many times today but it wouldn't play for me. :frown: Anybody else has this problem?

It kept going in and out on me at first and I had to keep refreshing and then fast forward. Eventually it worked. Worth a listen :)

Boeing787

On the Ice

not me. I am listening to it now.

Again, they praised Patrick's skating skills, which reminds me to add my observation in this regard. Patrick's skating is fast and effortless, but these are not the qualities that truly make him outstanding, IMHO. Several other skaters are fast and effortless too, especially the Japanese skaters. What makes Patrick special is his blades seem to grab the ice better because of his deeper edges. As a result he appears to be more in control on the ice. In addition, his skating is more powerful, as if his skates were electric driven.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
STARushka will you be going to Sochi?
If you do come to worlds in London maybe we Patrick fans can get together?
I want to join you all in fake London too to watch Patrick skate. I want I want ......:cry::cry: Hey I have an idea.... how about sykpe with me during the competition? Bring your i-pads or tablets along. :biggrin:
STARushka and SGrand, you all should meet up with Emdee and other fans if you are in fake London. I would not miss the opportunity if I have one. You all seem very nice virtual company and I am sure in person too. ;)

Thanks SGrand for the podcast. I like that Kurt and PJ are commenting on the competitions via podcast. It's interesting to hear their knowledgeable opinions. SF, are you able to access the podcast? PJ and Kurt were talking about the 3Lutz and admiring Patrick's transitions into the 3L and after the 3L. Wow.. I must watch this again.

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Spiky, I've really been enjoying the podcasts that Kurt, Tracy and PJ have been doing lately, while I'm sure they can be a little biased, they're still informative and entertaining. Love when they point out things I'd never really notice, but realize that I totally appreciate without even knowing it lol (I've never really figure skated so I'm by no means a technician, but I used to dance, hence my love of FS AND skaters who move like dancers). :)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting the podcast here! It was very entertaining. I went back and watched the two moments of Patrick's FS that were mentioned. The moment after the Lutz doesn't look very complicated, but I must defer to the expertise of Kurt and Tracy. When they mentioned it could break an ankle, I thought, "HEAVEN FORBID Patrick getting injured before or during the Sochi Olympics!" They made the movements after the Lutz sound dangerous :eek: That's part of what makes Patrick's skating so special; he makes everything look so easy on the ice. I've always loved the fact that his jumps come out of nowhere and flow naturally as part of the choreography. (Fans like us, though, memorize where each jump is in the program, so the "coming out of nowhere effect" is lessened a bit :laugh:)

Other skaters seem to get injured more often than Patrick does. He had the calf injury back in 2010, but that's the only time I can recall him being injured enough to miss a competition. His programs are very demanding and yet he is able to avoid injuries. Any ideas as to how this is brought about?

I hope you all are not getting tired of reading my rambling posts on this thread. It just feels so amazing to talk about all this in a "safe" environment. HUGS to ALL of my fellow Patrick fans. :)

spikydurian

Medalist
SGrand said:
Love when they point out things I'd never really notice, but realize that I totally appreciate without even knowing it lol (I've never really figure skated so I'm by no means a technician, but I used to dance, hence my love of FS AND skaters who move like dancers
I like movement sports like gymnastics, diving and of course, figure skating. I understand from knowledgeable posters who are skaters that they look at waist and below for skating skills. As a dancer, can you confirm that you prefer to look at waist and above instead? No wonder you love SYTYCD too. :)

skatingfan4ever said:
I hope you all are not getting tired of reading my rambling posts on this thread. It just feels so amazing to talk about all this in a "safe" environment.HUGS to ALL of my fellow Patrick fans
Hugs to you to skatingfan4ever. Yes, feel free to express your love for Patrick on this thread. We all do so too. Yeah, it’s a big bad world outside this thread so tread carefully.

STARushka said:
Good idea
:yay:

SGrand

Final Flight
I like movement sports like gymnastics, diving and of course, figure skating. I understand from knowledgeable posters who are skaters that they look at waist and below for skating skills. As a dancer, can you confirm that you prefer to look at waist and above instead? No wonder you love SYTYCD too. :)

Yup! I have always rooted for skaters that have possessed 'dancer arms' and carriage; it always gets to me when a skater has horrible posture or floppy arms that they don't seem to know what to do with. Not to say they have to be ballet dancers, I just like great lines and upper body control.
With regards to watching from the waist down, I definitely do now because in the past few years there seems to be much more going on with the feet LOL! I know there's always been footwork, but it's vastly different from what it used to be (some like that, and some don't) and I have to say that it keeps me more interested in a skate than just a bunch of telegraphed jumping passes and I actually find myself enjoying a lot of different skaters now (something I didn't always do in the past). ;)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ummmm, good lord, does this person even know what they're talking about? Takeshi Honda????? Lol

http://www.examiner.com/article/det...rick-chan-should-be-a-cinch-this-year?cid=rss
A biased, uninformed article if I ever saw one! Patrick does have a lot of naysayers, but seriously, the Japan Open isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, and Takashi Honda isn't even competing anymore. It's amazing how some people can write Patrick off so easily. It's not like the silver medal at SC was the end of his career. It was early in the season and Fernandez had less mistakes than Patrick, simple as that. Thanks for the laugh, SGrand :biggrin:

SGrand

Final Flight
A biased, uninformed article if I ever saw one! Patrick does have a lot of naysayers, but seriously, the Japan Open isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, and Takashi Honda isn't even competing anymore. It's amazing how some people can write Patrick off so easily. It's not like the silver medal at SC was the end of his career. It was early in the season and Fernandez had less mistakes than Patrick, simple as that. Thanks for the laugh, SGrand :biggrin:

Seriously! LOL

Also good for a laugh though: I think they're talking about the GPF and WC and calling Dai "Takeshi Honda" LOL
So much for journalism ha!

Ravensque

On the Ice
OMG........that article is just ridiculous. I'm surprised the editor even ok'd it.........:laugh: Then again, the editor is probably just as ignorant :)

emdee

Final Flight
So the podium at worlds will look like this:
1) Takashi Honda
2) Johnny Weir
3) evan Lysacek

Maybe its one interpretation of detractors last year that Dai outskated him in both the GPF and the worlds. However, I went to the GPF and found Dai painfully slow and no amount of head shaking and sinuous body movement could do it for me. A lot of the steps were on two feet and the lack of transitions was clear. Besides few can outPCS him.
Go Patrick!

SGrand

Final Flight
So the podium at worlds will look like this:
1) Takashi Honda
2) Johnny Weir
3) evan Lysacek

Maybe its one interpretation of detractors last year that Dai outskated him in both the GPF and the worlds. However, I went to the GPF and found Dai painfully slow and no amount of head shaking and sinuous body movement could do it for me. A lot of the steps were on two feet and the lack of transitions was clear. Besides few can outPCS him.
Go Patrick!

Lol, what an insightful podium pick ha!
Okay, so gold will go to a skater who is basically retired and from Elvis' era, silver will go to a skater who is making a comeback but hasn't competed since the Oly's and is now injured, and Evan gets bronze even though he has yet to materialize in person at a competition despite press conferences about his comebacks for the last couple of seasons......:laugh:

What I don't understand is how this was posted yesterday :confused: