North Korea's Kim Jong Il and figure skating | Golden Skate

North Korea's Kim Jong Il and figure skating

skateflower

Match Penalty
This is not a about politics. He is dead. Thanks God.

I found an unreal article from North Korea's propaganda machine reporting Kim Jong Il's instructions on figure skating.
http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2011/201112/news04/20111204-23ee.html

Kim Jong Il Enjoys Demonstration Figure Skating Performance

Kim Jong Il expressed great satisfaction over the successful demonstration figure skating performances the players presented with graceful rhythms meeting the national aesthetic need and a high level of difficult movements. He extended thanks to them.

He gave instructions which would serve as guidelines for further developing the figure skating.

He said that in order to develop figure skating it is necessary to provide good conditions, environment and equipment for training and harmoniously combine music and costume and music and movements.

Developing sports including figure skating is of very weighty significance in preparing all the people so that they may contribute to the labor and defence with strong physical bodies, demonstrating the dignity and honor of Juche Korea and developing the friendly relations with various countries of the world, he said.

He stressed the need for the sportspersons to acquire Korean-style figure skating technique and training methods, create peculiar figure skating and ice dances as required by the new century and register great successes in international arena and thus fully demonstrate the honor of Songun Korea and the Korean people's spirit

Russia's K&S performing for the dear leader.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmtq1bdSGU

skatinginbc

Medalist
I have heard Russian-style and North-American style. Is there a Japanese-style yet? If so, what is it? A bit off topic, but I'm very curious.

Somebody has to ask him in hell! The English version of those articles from North Korea's propaganda machine is just ridiculous.

Somebody has to ask him in Hell...well put!

The thing about absolute rulers is that they start fancying themselves as having all sorts of talents and skills, and who's going to tell them that they don't? This is how the Emperor Nero entered many events in the Olympic games of his day and won all of them. This is how Stalin became such a "patron" of the arts that he would meet with singers and composers and advise them on the correct way to create or interpret music. (I'm sure he was the only one who enjoyed those meetings.)

Meanwhile, just a few miles from his frozen realm, one of the greatest skaters ever has achieved a stellar career without ever having read his manifesto. However did she do it?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Somebody has to ask him in Hell...well put!

The thing about absolute rulers is that they start fancying themselves as having all sorts of talents and skills, and who's going to tell them that they don't? This is how the Emperor Nero entered many events in the Olympic games of his day and won all of them. This is how Stalin became such a "patron" of the arts that he would meet with singers and composers and advise them on the correct way to create or interpret music. (I'm sure he was the only one who enjoyed those meetings.)

Meanwhile, just a few miles from his frozen realm, one of the greatest skaters ever has achieved a stellar career without ever having read his manifesto. However did she do it?

Well put!

I hope for the sake of the people in North Korea his son isn't as fanatical and shows some progress towards democracy. I hope.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ri Song Chol who was at the 2010 Olympics in mens was reported to watch videos of skaters but not who.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
What is "Korean-style figure skating technique"?

Ask the other Kim. From the south.

Judging from the video linked in the first post, North Korea could excel in synchronized skating. WOW!

Last edited: