Figure Skating Pet Peeves | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Pet Peeves

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
I'm just wondering: Is there any coaching association (e.g., Coaching Association of Canada) or certification programs for figure skating coaches so that they may lose their "license" or certificate if found guilty of using their authority position to make sexual advance to students? A school teacher may be sentenced to jail for having an affair with a student. Why not figure skating coaches?

Yup. Skate Canada suspends them. Remember Lloyd Eisler? He got his credentials to coach in Canada pulled while they investigated him for this issue.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
My pet peeves:
a) youngsters who try to look like hot, sexy, sultry older women. Leave mature connotations to mature skaters.
b) the spiral variation which involves sticking a girl's crotch up to the roof of the arena by twisting the upper body; to me that looks more like a dog peeing on a hydrant than the A-spin does.
c) Costumes that show visible underwear lines, male or female. For pete's sake, guys, wear something appropriate under there!
d) guys who DO NOT wear sufficient - stuff - under there to keep things - under control.
e) Any costumes that are so overly elaborate/skimpy/peekaboo that you end up watching the costume instead of the skater.
f) Skaters winking at the judges during a routine in an effort to show how "personable" they are.
g) The "sneer" that some of the male skaters do that is supposed to convey "I'm HOT" "I'm SEXY" "Come and GET IT!"
h) Any stroking of body parts that makes people wonder if the skater has been borrowing choreo from people who normally engage with poles instead of ice skates. If you have to try that hard - you're really not sexy to start with.
i) Show routines that force fairly reserved skaters to show how "outgoing" and "hip" and "funky" they are, AKA audition for Stars on Ice.
j) Neon-coloured costumes. No matter what, neon should be reserved for training costumes or for roadmarkers on construction signs.
k) Sloppy hair. If you have to resort to dollar store clips to hold back the bangs that you REALLY have to have but your coach won't let you have on your face during competitions - then, well, I can send you a nice can of hair lacquer and some tidy pins that will hold your hair back without making you look like Cyndi Lauper or Madonna during her Material Girl years.

Lastly, any skater who doesn't look like they are enjoying themselves doing what they are doing.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Some of these may be repetitions, and I know I have more , but just off the top of my head :

Half-***ed costumes..Please stick to one thing or the other.

Critiques that are taken as hateful smears and hateful smears that try to masquerade as critiques.

Morozov..in so many ways.

Religious themed programs ( Ave Marias , JC Superstar, crosses emblazoned on chests , etc. )

Playing of any air instruments ( piano , violin , guitar, tuba..;)) This includes conducting.

Breakaway costumes (exposing beating hearts, trick sleeves , etc. )

Excessive hip- grinding , crotch - grabbing, self caressing.

The I spin..Please grab your ankle and use the Y.

Likewise any use of a side extension spiral grabbing the toe.

Last edited:
Yes, yes and yes!!! These comments are all spot on!

On Ice Peeve: coaches who scream constantly....especially when their student is at the far side of the rink (can't hear you way over there!!) skating by the coach at high speed (Doppler effect).

Biggest peeve is reporters/media people who rail against CoP without truly understanding how it works.

My website

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was thinking of the Red Hat programs of Torvill and Dean as well.

when they revived that program for SOI, Chris Dean choreographed a solo for Browning with the hat... it is amazing... not sure if it's on youtube, it disappears a lot.

^ Here it is from 1996 Ice Wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHN_1kaVIl4&feature=related

A couple of bobbles, but still... :agree: This has a good shot of Kurt's teammates Yuka Sato, Katarina Witt, and Viktor Petrenko enjoying the show. :laugh:

The best performance of Umbrellas of Cherbourge by Punsalen and Swallow was one time they did it outdoors at Rockefeller Center on the Today Show. A gust of wind came up and turned their umbrella inside out. They played it off as part of the choreography. :)

Last edited:
Oh, that is sublime! Thanks so much for the link. There are indeed some bobbles, but most of the places where anyone else would drop the hat and watch it roll across the ice. Kurt throws and catches that thing as if his hands are covered with Velcro. Sometimes behind his back, in the bargain. And that footwork!

I don't care how many more Earthlike planets scientists discover. They're not going to find anyone like Kurt on any of them.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^Oooh, that was fun. I never saw Kurt do this program but watched Torvill and Dean live. They were so good. I think it's harder for a solo act but Kurt had to try new stuff, didn't he?

koheikun90

On the Ice
1. Gloves. I hate gloves. I think they are distracting and a cheap cover up for some skaters who do not know how to express music with their hands.
2. Axel sit spins. I think they're ugly.
3. Bent legged camel spins. Ugly too.
4. Biellman spins with one hand on the blade and the other on the skaters wrists. It shows the skater is not flexible enough. If you can't do it right than don't do it at all. Or the judges should not grade for a level feature.
5. The music of Carmen, Sherazade, aranjuez, feeling begins . Overused and mostly bad interpretation.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^^^Oooh, that was fun. I never saw Kurt do this program but watched Torvill and Dean live. They were so good. I think it's harder for a solo act but Kurt had to try new stuff, didn't he?

Stars On Ice did a whole group number to ragtime (centered around the red hat) so he was paid to try this one out, but he apparently used it outside SOI as well... if the SOI vid ever becomes available watch it. AMAZING.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
h) Any stroking of body parts that makes people wonder if the skater has been borrowing choreo from people who normally engage with poles instead of ice skates. If you have to try that hard - you're really not sexy to start with.

Lastly, any skater who doesn't look like they are enjoying themselves doing what they are doing.
:laugh: re the first one, and agreed re the second.

1. Gloves. I hate gloves. I think they are distracting and a cheap cover up for some skaters who do not know how to express music with their hands.
I suspect there are skaters who use them to protect their fingers from the cold, and some have a tendency to cut their fingers on the blades during spins/spirals. So long as it works with the costume and the concept, I don't mind.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I suspect there are skaters who use them to protect their fingers from the cold, and some have a tendency to cut their fingers on the blades during spins/spirals. So long as it works with the costume and the concept, I don't mind.

I actually really love gloves IF the skater has good, graceful, non-distracting hand movements. They can really be an asset in that case, IMO, and sometimes I think they work with the costume design and program concept and are quite beautiful in their own right.

That said I agree that they are distracting on skaters who don't know how to express music with their hands, and I do hate gloves then, but I completely disagree that they serve as a cover up. To me they just draw attention and make it far more obvious than it originally was that the skater's hand and arm movements are atrocious.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Many pet peeves on this thread as well as most complaints about COP remind me of a cartoon about the right and wrong pick up lines. The wrong one shows a nerdy looking guy saying to an attractive woman, "Haven't I seen you somewhere before?" The right one shows a tall dark and handsome fellow saying to the beauty, "Haven't I seen you somewhere before?"

In figure skating, the difference between beauty and turn off is in the execution. Most problems lie in skaters attempting beyond their capabilities.

Last edited:

claphappy

On the Ice
In figure skating said:
Very true. That's why whenever I see a skater doing something badly, I'm always torn between thinking, "AH! You can't do that right; stop it!" & thinking, "Well, good for you for challenging yourself!"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Very true. That's why whenever I see a skater doing something badly, I'm always torn between thinking, "AH! You can't do that right; stop it!" & thinking, "Well, good for you for challenging yourself!"

I think "Well, good for you for challenging yourself!" for high risk jumps because they have to attempt them in spite of the ever present risks, though I think they should attempt them with at least 50% success rate instead of just practicing in competitions. As for other elements, I'd rather someone do a lower level competently and beautifully instead of attempting a higher level poorly just to score points. They can actually make equal or more points with high GOE on a lower level than negative GOEs on higher level attempts, which might also hurt the PCS because the overall effect on esthetics/performance of the program. Those are the ones I would go with "Ah! You can't do that right; stop it!"

Nadine

Record Breaker
Censorship and hubris.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power." - Plato

Irishflip

On the Ice
When skater's can do difficult jumps but choose not to like Carolina Kostner with triple flip-triple toe, im not saying she has bad content but she could do sooooo much better!!!

Patrick Chan winning no matter what :eek:

When a skater is classed as bad artistically and after that there's nothing they can do to stop people thinking that even if they express a lot example-Miki Ando

People who see an artistic expressful skater when all i see is a skater who looks like they've been kicked up the behind with a toe pick *glares at Kim Yu-Na* :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Back on topic, fence sitters, flip floppers, fans without you-know-what (don't want to get censored again, lol). :D

I was just kidding you about fans without you-know-what. I don't think you got censored for that. I just never got how a fragile anatomical part gets to represent courage. Common but stupid sexist language is all.

So what have you got against politically correct fans? :)

This makes me glad I never gave up on Alissa, and I still have hopes for Zhang. Not only do I not melt, I apparently don't even rust. And I'm sure I'm not the only one....

Thanks for explaining, Nadine.

brightphoton

Medalist
I think Polybob is the chief of the Unwavering Support for Caroline Zhang Department.

Does anyone else read this thread and think, "I don't mind those things/I'm okay with that."

What's with all this costume talk ... about the underwear part of the costume? Honestly they all look the same to me.

Bielmanns/donuts/I spins are difficult spins. The most important part of a spin is that it's centered and of a moderate to fast speed. I'm probably in the minority in that I do like the variations on the spins more than the "ideal" of the spin. I like the layback variations more than the classic layback. I also don't like the mentality that only skaters who can do an element perfectly should do them. You gotta start from somewhere.