Japanese Nationals - Men | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals - Men

daphna

On the Ice
Dai seems to be in a class of his own this year, despite not winning everything. amazing 4-3! his LP this year is one of the all timers for me - i can watch it over and over again. he must win worlds this year. he's way better that Patrick Chan, imo.
GO DAI!

DianaSelene

Medalist
Dai seems to be in a class of his own this year, despite not winning everything. amazing 4-3! his LP this year is one of the all timers for me - i can watch it over and over again. he must win worlds this year. he's way better that Patrick Chan, imo.
GO DAI!

I'd love him to win again, too!!! :clap:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Dai-chan - I shouted with joy when he landed 4T-3T! But the rest of the performance, I prefer his performance of NHK. He himself admitted it in the interview, " Except for the quad combo, my skating was just so-so." Still it's very beautiful program and brilliant performance!

Tatsuki Machida - His jumps were not good than usual, the landings didn't have a flow, and I think that's why he was behind Yuzuru. But, he was now 3rd, wow! It's really interesting if he beats Yuzuru, JSF will send him to Worlds?

Kento Nakamura - Even with the fall, I love this program. He is very elegant!

Nakamura was very elegant. He is tall, with long legs, the body is not an Asian type, and skating somehow too. :

I heard he was half Japanese and half French.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow, Daisuke. Bravo!

It was funny when I read NMURA's post that Dai was bluffing and would not do his quad, I wanted to write that maybe he was bluffing about not doing the quad but would pull the 4T/3T as listed as a surprise, especially to the other competitors! (Also had a feeling Hanyu would not deliver. I'm intuiting well these days. :)) I gave up hoping for live feed and went to bed. What a news this morning.

Can't wait for the LPs.

Are there other skaters' videos up yet?

FTnoona

Final Flight
Dai-chan - I shouted with joy when he landed 4T-3T! But the rest of the performance, I prefer his performance of NHK. He himself admitted it in the interview, " Except for the quad combo, my skating was just so-so." Still it's very beautiful program and brilliant performance!

Tatsuki Machida - His jumps were not good than usual, the landings didn't have a flow, and I think that's why he was behind Yuzuru. But, he was now 3rd, wow! It's really interesting if he beats Yuzuru, JSF will send him to Worlds?

I love that Dai is back in form. Kinda cool how we can actually see him getting better and better after the injury.

I also had a feeling like SkatingFiguring that Yuzuru would choke... He doesn't do really well at nationals compared to international which is kinda strange. I think the pressure of making the world team might have hit him along with Dai's 4t-3t.

Quick question: Is a solo 3T and a combo with a 3T in the same SP allowed?

Wow...Hanyu has to skate right after Kozuka and Dai in the FS. Interesting to see if the pressure will get to him like last year or not. Dai has the advantage of choosing to do the quad or take it out especially since Kozuka skates before him and he doesn't have to worry about Hanyu at all.

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight
No, that's why it was smart of him to do only 3Lz+2T. A 3Lz+3T would have gotten zero points.

Thanks. That's what I thought when he tacked on the 2T with the arms over his head. He either thinks very well on his feet or he practices for cases like these.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love that Dai is back in form. Kinda cool how we can actually see him getting better and better after the injury.

I also had a feeling like SkatingFiguring that Yuzuru would choke... He doesn't do really well at nationals compared to international which is kinda strange. I think the pressure of making the world team might have hit him along with Dai's 4t-3t.

Quick question: Is a solo 3T and a combo with a 3T in the same SP allowed?

I feel Hanyu's mindset is opposite of Daisuke's. While Dai gets pumped up by his throngs of loyal subjects at home, Hanyu still feels like the little brother in the presence of his Senior compatriots. My guess.

mskater93

Record Breaker
No, you can't do a solo 3T and then end a combo with a 3T. You can do 3T+3T, though

genki

On the Ice
Yes, Dai 4T 3T combo. I screamed in front of TV and barely held back my tears:party2:
Finally, ladies and gentlemen, we have witnessed true combination of Art and Athleticism. This is it.

It has been a long time since he lost quad due to injury in 2008, but all fans as well as I kept on believing that it will come back.
And it did. yes it did. He has been doing 2 quads easily in Fsin2008, but this is better, because his other elements such as skating, spins and flexibilities are much more enhanced now.

We are on the way to witness something extraordinarily,the perfect marriage of Art and sports again and again from Dai from now on. :laugh:

I am in heaven !!!

mot

On the Ice
Haven't read any of the posts up above, but, perhaps just for my own sake, before going to bed, I must declare that I am blessed to have witnessed Daisuke's 4t-3t in the arena before my own eyes this evening! Also what sets him apart from all other skaters I saw today was that everything about him and his programme / performance was articulated. It was a whole. It was integrated. Everything was connected. It was one. His upper body movements, his footwork, the music, his elements, the story he told ... everything. Nothing was forced. Everything about his performance was smooth. Nothing was too much. Just enough power to mesmerise. Just enough space to breathe and to invite spectator's own imagination to add and enhance. The right balance of push and pull. It was such a powerful and delicate performance at the same time - if such thing is possible.

Also... Takahiko's Inner Urge was, to me, much more wonderful programme when seen live in the arena. Somehow, its beauty and charm do not seem to transfer well over digital signals.

Akio Sasaki is one of a kind. Hugely entertaining and wonderful in his own way. Never sat in the arena, where the audience, including myself, laughing and giggling during a competition programme being performed, just as he wanted us to do. Wonderful dancer and some sweet footwork too.

To me, Yuzuru and Takahito Mura both seemed just wanted it too much... perhaps Dice Murakami too. Well, it's only short and they have tomorrow to make it all up. Good luck to all of them!

I thought Machida was wonderful. His jumps were not perfect but his performance reached the farthest end of the stand, I believe. He's not a tall person, but he performs large and knows how to project.

I wondered how many tangos Kenji Miyamoto has choreographed for Japanese men (and ladies) so far...

I thought Takuya Kondo's programme was quite wonderful; a real pity he did not manage to make the best of it.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Namihaya to watch the rest of the competition live. A shame as there are always tons of stuff only those who watch skate live know and those on the other side of TV / monitor would never understand...