Pairs Competition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Competition

mousepotato

On the Ice
With Gerboldt's age and skating skills? What? :unsure: She is 22 years old. I didn't know that today she is too old and her skating skills are so bad. I think that a certain pair won Vancouver when they were in their thirties. Trankov is in his late twenties right now and isn't Savchenko 27 and Szolkowy 32? Some pairs in the past did not show any good skating or results at 22 but later became great pairs. Learning and experience. I don't know what will happen with this pair but you can't write them off so soon.

Her skating skills are not that great. At the age of 22 if you haven't mastered your own single skating skills (apart from your partner) like edges, control and jumps, you won't-ESPECIALLY since her singles coach of was on of the best; Alexei Mishin. Switching to pairs isn't to be used as a last resort to learn how to skate, it's to be used to make the pairs skills better. Both skaters need to be strong singles skaters for it to work and Enbert isn't the best either.

Are you really comparing S/Z-a pair that had been togther for 20 years when they won their Olympic gold to G/E? :laugh: G/E would have to had got together when they were 9. The other skaters you mentioned maybe older (later 20s early 30s) but they have great skating skills by themselves, not to mention great parters (sometime several great patners.) It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with learning your craft long before 22. There may have been pairs who didn't see results until after 22 but that doesn't mean they had trouble skating and all of a sudden became great skaters. Mostly it had to do with lack of partners or finding the right one.

G/E are now in 5th place (it would have been 7th if the top pairs were skating) and maybe they can still get on the podium. But even if they did medal it would have only been 4th or 5th place with V/T and K/S competing. I would rather Moskvina spend her last year and a half as a coach training someone like I/M or M/R.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Her skating skills are not that great. At the age of 22 if you haven't mastered your own single skating skills (apart from your partner) like edges, control and jumps, you won't-ESPECIALLY since her singles coach of was on of the best; Alexei Mishin. Switching to pairs isn't to be used as a last resort to learn how to skate, it's to be used to make the pairs skills better. Both skaters need to be strong singles skaters for it to work and Enbert isn't the best either.

Are you really comparing S/Z-a pair that had been togther for 20 years when they won their Olympic gold to G/E? :laugh: G/E would have to had got together when they were 9. The other skaters you mentioned maybe older (later 20s early 30s) but they have great skating skills by themselves, not to mention great parters (sometime several great patners.) It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with learning your craft long before 22. There may have been pairs who didn't see results until after 22 but that doesn't mean they had trouble skating and all of a sudden became great skaters. Mostly it had to do with lack of partners or finding the right one.

G/E are now in 5th place (it would have been 7th if the top pairs were skating) and maybe they can still get on the podium. But even if they did medal it would have only been 4th or 5th place with V/T and K/S competing. I would rather Moskvina spend her last year and a half as a coach training someone like I/M or M/R.

I am not a fan of G/E and don't really care what happens to them considering that there are so many other great russian pairs. I just personally thought it is not fair to say a pair that began skating together a year ago you consider so bad (obviously she doesn't have lots of experience in paris even if she is not a good singles skater) that they should immediately retire. I am comparing them to S/Z who had a lot of time but hey, they could skate together for 20 years too. At 40, they could reach something. :biggrin: At 36, a Chinese pair became olympic champions. I think you can always improve your skating skills even by a little unless you are handicapped. Not by much, but you can. I don't think they will get anywhere but don't automatically think that a newly formed pair should retire because she is a bad partner. I don't like Sui/Han and think they have horrible skating skills but with time, they could get better. G/E were 4th at Europeans where there were a lot pairs- yes, the other pairs were not good but G/E seemed to have better skating skills than others who were together for many years.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I am not a fan of G/E and don't really care what happens to them considering that there are so many other great russian pairs.

:sheesh:

I don't like Sui/Han and think they have horrible skating skills but with time, they could get better.

:laugh:

Again you are comparing a 16 year old bad skater with a 22 year old bad skater and S/H are already far more successful.

Sui will become a much better skater by the time she is 22 as long as she doesn't grow an inch or gain a pound or she will have to find a new partner.

DianaSelene

Medalist
:sheesh:

Again you are comparing a 16 year old bad skater with a 22 year old bad skater and S/H are already far more successful.

Sui will become a much better skater by the time she is 22 as long as she doesn't grow an inch or gain a pound or she will have to find a new partner.

I think you are wrong. Sui has atrocious skating skills and she will need to find a new coach in order to improve those.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maiserudze and Rogonov certainly do interesting things in their spare time! LOL!

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think you are wrong. Sui has atrocious skating skills and she will need to find a new coach in order to improve those.

You think I'm wrong about S/H being more successful than G/E? Seriously? Count their medals.

Sui may need more training but she has 7 years to get it until she's 22, Gerboldt is already 22.

DianaSelene

Medalist
You think I'm wrong about S/H being more successful than G/E? Seriously? Count their medals.

Sui may need more training but she has 7 years to get it until she's 22, Gerboldt is already 22.

Where did I say that S/H are not more successful than G/E? I agree. They are more successful but that is due to the fact that they have been skating in pairs for about 4 years versus G/E 1 year and because Gerboldt just began skating with a partner. Obviously they would be more successful right now. They have more experience! Also, they have a lot more medals because they were on the junior grand prix circuit where it is easier to medal if you can jump even a little. But G/E began their career with only getting one senior grand prix when they just began skating. Isn't it logical that they had less success right now? It doesn't help as well that there is such a tough field at nationals for G/E so they have less chances of getting to Euroes or Worlds. Nevertheless, they finished 4th at RN and Euros. Is that bad? Sounds pretty successful to me.

mousepotato

On the Ice

Where did I say that S/H are not more successful than G/E? I agree. They are more successful but that is due to the fact that they have been skating in pairs for about 4 years versus G/E 1 year and because Gerboldt just began skating with a partner. Obviously they would be more successful right now. They have more experience! Also, they have a lot more medals because they were on the junior grand prix circuit where it is easier to medal if you can jump even a little. But G/E began their career with only getting one senior grand prix when they just began skating. Isn't it logical that they had less success right now? It doesn't help as well that there is such a tough field at nationals for G/E so they have less chances of getting to Euroes or Worlds. Nevertheless, they finished 4th at RN and Euros. Is that bad? Sounds pretty successful to me.

Just so I understand you, you think that just because the pairs field in Russia is - what you call - "tough" G/E don't have many opportunities to go to Euros and Worlds? Yet when they went to Cup of Nice, they were 2nd and at the Cup of Russia they were 5th. So what place do you honestly think they are going to get if by some miracle they are sent to worlds? Considering they now have the 21st highest total score this season. Finishing 4th at Russian Nationals in 2011 was not such a great feat when you consider they were at their very best at everyone else behind them failed.

You are too concerned about how long teams have been paired up versus how long they have skated alone. Gerboldt has had far more time than most other skaters to master her single skating skills (16 years, just as long as Sui has been alive) and has yet to master it. Like I said before if you can't master something under the tutelage of someone like Alexei Mishin, there is not much Dmitriev/Moskvina can teach you (especially in only a year and a half left before Moskvina retires.)

So she's new to pairs (1.5 years); without the basic skills she should have been taught in her teen years, she won't learn much while having to learn/perfect pair elements. Falling on a throw is one thing but falling on a single element is quite another. If you are fortunate enough to see them live make sure you bring earplugs, their scratchy skates will make your ears bleed.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pairs LP Starting Order

Warm-Up Group 1

Oksana Nagalaty/Konstantin Bezmaternikh
Maria Vygalova /Egor Zakroev
Tatiana Tudvaseva/Sergey Lisiev
Yana Volkova/Alexei Petryanin

Warm-Up Group 2

Tatiana Novik/Andrei Novoselov
Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert
Vasilisa Davankova/Andrei Deputat
Ekaterina Petaykina/Maxim Kurdyukov

Warm-Up Group 3

Anastasia Martyusheva/Alexei Rogonov
Lyubov Iluschechkina/Nodari Maisuradze
Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov
Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov

http://fsrussia.ru/upl/results/1112/nat2012/SEG108.HTM

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Really liked Tatiana Novik and her partner. They have a nice look on the ice. She gets huge height on the solo jumps, gorgeous, and the first element, the 3T-2L sequence was amazing(too bad he doubled the 3S, she landed it beautifully. Nice to see a lady pair skater who can jump!. I believe they are a new team, and that explains the problems they had with the throw jumps. They have some interesting lifts, especially the first one.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Gerboldt/Enbert just had the skate of their life. The only errors were a tight catch on their 3Twist and she messed up her landing on the side by side 3S. Their throws, both on the second half of the program were gorgeous. 3T-2T-2L to start the program - also gorgeous! This competition is more exciting than I thought(without V/T and K/S I expected a snooze fest)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Vasilisa DAVANKOVA and her partner: all I can say WOW! All the elements are there: throw 3F, 3L, side by side 3T-2T, 2A. Another tiny girl who can jump! Tell me they are eligible for junior worlds. Beautiful lines, beautiful young couple. Finally another talented young pair from Russia, the JGP this season was pretty weak for russian pairs.

oleada

Record Breaker
The second group of pairs was really great. All teams delivered.

Novik & Novoselov had a really interesting program. I loved the lift where her leg is straight up in the air; I'd never seen anything like it. Great SBS 3T.

Gerboldt & Enbert had their best skate since last year's nationals. Their only bobbles were the catch on the twist and a bad landing on the 3S from her. Great throws in the second half. Good power and nice lifts.

Davankova and Deputat have AMAZING technical elements. Good 3T, huge 3Lo & 3F throws and a gorgeous twist with a great catch. Their program is a bit generic, but given that they are a new team, it's great what they've accomplished. I'd be shocked if they don't make it to Junior Worlds. They can contend for the podium there.

Petaikina & Kurduykov had the best program so far, IMO. Lovely tango and they used the music well. Another team with wonderful lifts - I love the one where she is in a dance lift and he in a spread eagle.

Very fun competition to watch, with a lot of difficutl content :)

oleada

Record Breaker
Vasilisa DAVANKOVA and her partner: all I can say WOW! All the elements are there: throw 3F, 3L, side by side 3T-2T, 2A. Another tiny girl who can jump! Tell me they are eligible for junior worlds. Beautiful lines, beautiful young couple. Finally another talented young pair from Russia, the JGP this season was pretty weak for russian pairs.

Yes they are! They are definitely medal contenders if they can repeat this skate.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yes they are! They are definitely medal contenders if they can repeat this skate.

:yay: If Sui/Han go to Sr. Worlds, then this young couple has a chance to win the whole thing(jr.worlds) as long as they repeat this skate of course. But I saw her in the practice clips, and in the SP, she is really really consistent. He is less consistent than her, which is strange given how tiny and fragile she looks.
I also loved Tatiana Novik in the lift you described,I just couldn't find my words in English to do it myself :biggrin: