Ladies Competition | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies Competition

Brenda

On the Ice
But was Adelina deservedly 6+ points in PCS ahead of Julia? maybe 2-3, but I'm not so sure about 6+ (in the LP alone...),

Reminds me of the men's competition...2 good skaters with good almost-clean skates...but one gets a huge PCS boost
except Adelina is only a year older than Julia and not that much more experienced...Julia herself is pretty exceptional for her age...but on the national level Adelina came in as a 2-time defending champ and is RFSF and Putin's favorite...

lavender

Record Breaker
Julia Lipnitskaya is pretty great but I'll wait a few years to just on the wagon just like I did with Adelina.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Will Adelina compete in JW?It would be great)..Julia vs Adelina vs Liza..hmm - dream team:)

tulosai

Record Breaker
My main thought right now is that this is going to be an interesting 2 years between now and Sochi. If you had asked me before this competition I would have said something a bit different, but honestly, I think it's anyone's guess who will be on that team. Right now Julia looks the most consistent but (though she definitely HAS grown quite a bit since last year) she hasn't dealt with puberty yet and who knows what that might do. She's my favorite of the current crop of Russian ladies but I am scared to really invest in her because she really is so young. Elizavetta, contrary to my opinion earlier this season, is not that consistent, and also has not dealt with puberty or even really a growth spurt. Adelina is a gorgeous skater and at the moment probably most likely to certainly go to Sochi, but she has not skated a clean or even nearly clean competition this year and it will take more than just Russian Nats to convince me her consistency is back (though I hope it is).

Then there is Leonova, who I figured would be done by Sochi but given everything I could have been wrong about that. There is Shelepen who just had one disastrous competition but who is a lovely skater and very capable of delivering. There is even Makarova who, with the right choreography and much improved consistency could be a contender to go (but probably not to medal).

I am not meaning to insult any of the skaters at all by my comments- I genuinely enjoy all of them- but yeah, this is going to be a fun 2 years :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh I was hoping for Liza to podium so Mishin can have a strike but well. She must be tired from the season otherwise she never was off the podium since her first year debut. Adelina rocked the sp, Lp was fine but in fs I loved Julia the most! Sasha Cohen flashbacks :)
My heart hurts for Agafanova, she used to be my fave when she medaled at Junior Worlds but she has gonne downhill since then and I m afraid for her future. I still like her a lot.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But was Adelina deservedly 6+ points in PCS ahead of Julia? maybe 2-3, but I'm not so sure about 6+ (in the LP alone...),

Reminds me of the men's competition...2 good skaters with good almost-clean skates...but one gets a huge PCS boost
except Adelina is only a year older than Julia and not that much more experienced...Julia herself is pretty exceptional for her age...but on the national level Adelina came in as a 2-time defending champ and is RFSF and Putin's favorite...

I would have had Julia in first, myself. I do think her PCS should be higher and she is being 'punished' slightly due to her age, both in the short and long programs. I think Adelina's PCS are fair, actually- she is an exceptional skater- but I'd have had Julia's a bit higher than they were which would have pushed her into first. I think that certainly, for example, they should be higher than Elizavetta's. Overall though I think the results were just fine and I am happy for all the skaters.

Brenda

On the Ice
Well, objectively, PCS and TES are supposed to be separate. So Makarova could have many underrotations but sell the heck out of her program (which I incidentally don't like) and receive high PCS, which is how it's supposed to work.

Yes, but I can see that for the SP if she had bombed it (which, for once she hadn't!) since the Averbukh choreography is exquisite and brings out the best of Makarova's lines and presentation abilities even when she isn't jumping well, but the long program is nowhere near as good and the choreography basically has Makarova pose and show one emotion throughout.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I would love if they sent Shelepen but I think it's unlikely :(

I would actually disagree with this. I think the other Polina has more long term potential. Her skating skills and presentation are better. Shelepen's jump content isn't that much better than the other Polina's, given the other Polina does a 3/3 and a double axel/3toe.

I think the other Polina needs a little more confidence but I think she's coming around. I actually think Ksensia is the weak link on this Russian team, because her PCS won't be anywhere near as high at the international level. IMO.

Brenda

On the Ice
Oh I was hoping for Liza to podium so Mishin can have a strike but well. She must be tired from the season otherwise she never was off the podium since her first year debut. Adelina rocked the sp, Lp was fine but in fs I loved Julia the most! Sasha Cohen flashbacks :)
My heart hurts for Agafanova, she used to be my fave when she medaled at Junior Worlds but she has gonne downhill since then and I m afraid for her future. I still like her a lot.

I love Agafonova too, her Korobushka SP was so spunky! I'm glad she has other fans besides me, she's been pretty much forgotten in the hype about Russian "Babies." This years programs are kinda bad and it doesn't seem like she gets into them, especially the long program. And she hasn't thought quickly enough to tack on a third combo in most of her competitions this year (in one of her JGPs she only did one combo), but I guess that final 2A here was meant to be a combo probably. She's gotten much better with telegraphing her lutz, it used to be sooo bad! But now her 3Z-3T has disappeared. :( I felt so bad for her when she messed up her combo in the short program, her 3S-3T is usually so reliable. She still has the best spins in this entire field though. She actually makes the haircutter look pretty.
Wasn't she supposed to switch to pairs when she was younger until she got all her triples so quickly they decided to have her stay in singles? She could still make the switch, she's still pretty tiny and she has pretty good lines that maybe skating with a partner could help bring out that spark that seems to have dimmed a little.

lavender

Record Breaker
I have a soft spot for Polina Agafanova too. I thought she was just so adorable when she came on the scene.

bsfan

On the Ice
Will Lisa be sent to JW? She is #4 among the juniors here on the final result.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

isn't the reigning jr. Nationals champ Elizaveta ?
it will be interesting if she can defend her junior national title like Adelina did.

Last edited: