Ladies Competition | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Competition

tulosai

Record Breaker
It seems to me that Eliza skates just okay under pressure. She had no pressure on the gp circuit until the gp final where she had expectations to win. Russian Nats is even more pressure and she falls. Olympics will be even worst if she even gets there from Russian Nats.

I'm withholding judgment for now about this. It's odd to me that, if that is the case, it seems to always happen in the short program not in the long. Maybe she has some sort of mental block in the short program. I will say that in this case in particular, I thought the lutz looked good going up, in the air, and even on the landing- I wonder if there was a rut in the ice or something. I only watched once so I may be mistaken but I remember thinking the jump was gorgeous and being very surprised when she ended up falling.

She is not my favorite of the current crop of Russian ladies, but I join the people who hope she starts skating well in Russia.

ETA: I also found it very enlightening to read what Julia said about Adelina. I'm happy she has that attitude :)

Slowdive

On the Ice
I love love love Makarova's SP! I would wish for a spot on the podium if it weren't for her LP.
Does anyone have an upload for Ovcharova's performance?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Julia is extremely talented and you can do a lot for her artistry not just showing her already visible flexibility talents
I wish she will drop Morozov soon as a choreographer :disapp: and maybe switch to Tarasova
OOoo, I got lambasted about this on the JGP threads...

Slowdive

On the Ice
^

hep, her LP wont help her much this time, even if she gets a clean skate. still GOLD FOR KSENIA MAKAROVA ( so I wont jynx the real winner )

is this her ?
horrible sp music, the remix is just irritating and distracting
she grew and gained weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOy...xt=C35cff95UDOEgsToPDskLHQJAogiAk5GzCQC5WFYJ0

Yep that's her...thanks!
She really needs to get her jumps down if she wants to be a contender for international events.
I would say she should switch to ice dancing so that she can continue to be uber voidy :biggrin:
(but, yeah, she has gained some weight)

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't normally like Ksenia Makarova's skating but this is the first year that I liked her short program. She just could never skate it clean. I knew if she skated this one clean it would score well. This is the best I've ever seen her skate period.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't normally like Ksenia Makarova's skating but this is the first year that I liked her short program. She just could never skate it clean. I knew if she skated this one clean it would score well. This is the best I've ever seen her skate period.

Slightly OT but does anyone know why she switched from competing for the United States to compete for Russia? Bluntly, I think she might have a better chance here of being sent to Senior international events after this year, at least if the current level of the US ladies continues. Of course she's not super consistent but neither is anyone else in the USA...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^^

wasnt it because she wasn't good at the sectionals competitions that she switched countries ?
and she started competing at russian nationals before the new kids arrived , I think she'd still have the same
results if she did compete for the us, but maybe sent more at senior competitions

but then again, Ksenia does compete for seniors events and she always inconsistent and bombs either he SP or LP :sheesh:

I disagree. Julia's flexibility is a signature rather than a distraction. With most today's programs being choreographed the same, it's refreshing to see something different. Plus, it makes me remember her. Those spirals are very difficult transitions both in and out of the jumps and is placed cleverly with the music. In fact, I'm glad that she incorporates spirals in the SP when it's no longer required. Also since spirals are scored as Csp1 in the free skate it's should be expected that skaters exhibit innovative positions, strong flexibility and different edges to be awarded positive GOE. Her layback spin also has a difficult entrance from the illusion turn and her rhythmic gymnast-like Biellman spin ends the program with a strong lasting image. In addition to her signature flexibility, she shows very mature qualities in interpreting music with her hands and projecting emotion in her face and exudes confidence like a senior lady. I'm not saying that she is perfect and has nothing to improve, but I think she's on the right track to create something special for all of us to witness in Sochi. The only thing holding Julia back is her age. She is not age eligible for ISU championships until the Olympic season which may not be enough time to build her PCS to be a gold medal contender in 2014.

well Im not saying her flexibility is distracting, what I mean is that she can also add artistry to other things
she has graceful hands and the way she sways and moves can still improve and use that to her advantage
what I find a trademark in Julia is actually the way she spins so fast and her I spin.

but isn't Julia eligible to compete at all senior events by 2013 ? :confused:
if she stays consistent and does well in her transition to Senior.
she will still be a contender for a podium at 2014 winter olympics

Last edited:

koheikun90

On the Ice
I think she can compete in the senior grand prix but will not be eligible for European and Worlds until 2014. And whoops I meant to also reply to FlattFan who said her skating was gross.

koheikun90

On the Ice
I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else feel that Lipnitskaya's flexibility is actually causing her programs detriment? The positions she can get are very impressive, but I feel that her choreographer is just throwing some of them in at random times for the wow factor which distracts from the rest of her skating.

I disagree. Julia's flexibility is a signature rather than a distraction. With most today's programs being choreographed the same, it's refreshing to see something different. Plus, it makes me remember her. Those spirals are very difficult transitions both in and out of the jumps and is placed cleverly with the music. In fact, I'm glad that she incorporates spirals in the SP when it's no longer required. Also since spirals are scored as Csp1 in the free skate it's should be expected that skaters exhibit innovative positions, strong flexibility and different edges to be awarded positive GOE. Her layback spin also has a difficult entrance from the illusion turn and her rhythmic gymnast-like Biellman spin ends the program with a strong lasting image. In addition to her signature flexibility, she shows very mature qualities in interpreting music with her hands and projecting emotion in her face and exudes confidence like a senior lady. I'm not saying that she is perfect and has nothing to improve, but I think she's on the right track to create something special for all of us to witness in Sochi. The only thing holding Julia back is her age. She is not age eligible for ISU championships until the Olympic season which may not be enough time to build her PCS to be a gold medal contender in 2014.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Looks like Russia also hits a new low in attendance. Nobody cares about skating anymore. Let's hope one of them is smart enough to be Rachael Flatt one day. Skating ain't gonna pay your bills, girls.

I don't think the rest of your post is worth responding to, but you are very wrong. In Russia, while no one gets rich off figure skating as Yuna, for example, has, if you are good enough at skating it very much will pay your bills. You are taken care of by the Russia federation (at least while you still skate) and, unless things are much changed in the past few years, this does continue to some extent after the competitive career is over. Despite this all or nearly all skaters do go on to have jobs and indeed many go on to have jobs in figure skating such as coaching or choreographing. Russia is not like the USA- while it is not such a 'wealthy' country, the income disparities there are not like in the USA and one need not go to Stanford to make a living. If anything it is skaters in countries like the US who should worry about paying bills once their parents stop supporting them (if they ever do).

As has already been noted the attendance is not representative as the Nationals are being held in a small town over 10 hours from Moscow or other major cities, and on Christmas and the say after Christmas.

Also, I find it ironic that you mention Flatt as many people think that if she had any real smarts at all she'd have stopped competing.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I don't think the rest of your post is worth responding to, but you are very wrong. In Russia, while no one gets rich off figure skating as Yuna, for example, has, if you are good enough at skating it very much will pay your bills. You are taken care of by the Russia federation (at least while you still skate) and, unless things are much changed in the past few years, this does continue to some extent after the competitive career is over. Despite this all or nearly all skaters do go on to have jobs and indeed many go on to have jobs in figure skating such as coaching or choreographing. Russia is not like the USA- while it is not such a 'wealthy' country, the income disparities there are not like in the USA and one need not go to Stanford to make a living. If anything it is skaters in countries like the US who should worry about paying bills once their parents stop supporting them (if they ever do).

As has already been noted the attendance is not representative as the Nationals are being held in a small town over 10 hours from Moscow or other major cities, and on Christmas and the say after Christmas.

Also, I find it ironic that you mention Flatt as many people think that if she had any real smarts at all she'd have stopped competing.

Actually, you are right. They are pretty well off. All of the coaches, choreographers, and costumes are paid by the government. After the olympics, every athlete that got a medal gets a car (whether BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes- every time it's different). Also, you could be part of the Duma as Sikharulidze, Averbukh, Khorkina, and other skaters do. You get big money there. Pretty much, once you reach something, you get all the resources in life that you need. You just have to take them. If you don't want to be a coach, there are tons of shows going on right now for figure skaters in Russia.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Of course Anna Ovcharova put on some weight, this strange unfamiliar thing has happened to her, it's called growing up! The last time we saw her she was 13 years old, now she is 15. Her jumps became worse because of her injury(and probably growing up didn't help either since she had no time to get adjusted with her new body). I hope some of this girls don't read the forums or they could develop eating disorders.
About Liza, I'm not sure it's fair to say she had no pressure on the GP. Winning the SP in Skate Canada and skating last with a chance to be the youngest to win a GP debut is a big thing. Then in Paris she has to prove her win in Canada was not a fluke, she once again won the SP, and in the LP both Alissa and Carolina skated well and scored big but she nailed her LP again. In GPF she came back with a very good LP and won big time on Technical Score. I think she has a mental block with her SP in nationals. Until this season she had a mental block with pretty much all her SP(skated cleanly with 3-3 only two times last season) but her consistency in the SP started better this season. Hope she comes back strong in the LP, I can see her getting bronze because Ksenia is unreliable in the LP.(only 6 points between Liza and Ksenia, she can do it). Julia and Adelina are probably out of reach, but never say never!

mousepotato

On the Ice

Christmas in Russia is not on December 25th it's on January 7th so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget for the pairs competition the top two teams are missing which could make a difference to people who wanted to see them. I wish they would either pick Moscow or Saint Petersburg to have the competition.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^^

Julia Lipnitskaya might win this, if she gets a clean skate with her LP Too
Liza still has chance, Ksenia ? is her LP the same that Marilyn Monroe theme content with kisses ? that was a terrible btw
and Ksenia tends to bomb if not on SP but on LP.

but still GOLD FOR KSENIA MAKAROVA ( so I wont jynx the real winner )

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
All I want for Christmas is Adelina to land her jumps! I don't want to see her sad little eyes again, it depresses me
Question for the day: will Liza finally break the curse of skating badly her SP at nationals?

You got your Christmas wish-Adelina landed her jumps! Sadly, the SP nationals curse continues for Liza..

Mirunna

Record Breaker
You got your Christmas wish-Adelina landed her jumps! Sadly, the SP nationals curse continues for Liza..

I know :party2: I hope she skates well today too
Well then I hope Liza's tradition continues today(bombing the SP, skating brilliantly in the Lp).
Now I understand why Adelina's Technical score isn't bigger: the 3Lz-3L combo was marked as UR

Actually, you are right. They are pretty well off. All of the coaches, choreographers, and costumes are paid by the government. After the olympics, every athlete that got a medal gets a car (whether BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes- every time it's different). Also, you could be part of the Duma as Sikharulidze, Averbukh, Khorkina, and other skaters do. You get big money there. Pretty much, once you reach something, you get all the resources in life that you need. You just have to take them. If you don't want to be a coach, there are tons of shows going on right now for figure skaters in Russia.

It's good to know that skaters are so highly regarded in Russia. Here in the U.S., the only way for a skater to get the spotlight these days might be for him/her to switch to wrestling. You think I'm kidding? Wrestling is on TV every week, and George Clooney's new girlfriend is a retired lady wrestler. Gee, he never dated a figure skater. Though we might get a figure skater in our equivalent of the Duma if Michelle Kwan chooses a political career!

When does the ladies' LP go on? I guess I'll get the results after work today.

Last edited: