Where can I watch figure skating from now on? | Golden Skate

Where can I watch figure skating from now on?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
My cable company won't pay for Universal Sports, now that this channel has gotten an attitude and is demanding going from free to a paid channel. Although I can't say that the channel was all that great--there were a lot of mountain biking magazine shows--it was the only place to watch figure skating. I guess I'll never see it again.

Is there any place besides Ice Network to see this sport, apart from the very occasional showings on NBC on Sunday? Is there any place cheaper than Ice Network, which seems to cost $40.00 a year?

emma

Record Breaker
universal sports also streams online for a fee.

Really? My icenetwork crashed during GPF's so I went to universal sports but had to join and pay (I think 14 dollars) to watch the final...did I miss the free link?

macy

Record Breaker
icenetwork is definitely worth the money. you get so much coverage. Im on there all the time. this is my 3rd or 4th year buying it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Really? My icenetwork crashed during GPF's so I went to universal sports but had to join and pay (I think 14 dollars) to watch the final...did I miss the free link?

emma, Tonichelle said "fee" not free.

IMO Icenetwork does have more coverage than Univ. Sports but I have had a lot of problems in the past with the quality of Icenetwork's live feed (it works fine for some folks) so for the last 2 seasons I have been subscribing to Univ. Sport without any problems for the GP series for $14.95. A separate fee is charged for Worlds coverage.

emma

Record Breaker
^ooops ...sorry Tonichelle and everyone, misread that one.

I really do love IN, but I have had it malfunction a number of time, and it seems that this has happened most when I really wanted to stay spoiled and watch it live before seeing headlines, results or commentaries. That's why i also bought the Universal sports coverage for the GPFs and most likely will for Worlds if they have it. But, for those in the US who can't afford the extra subscription, it really does stink that you have to wait for youtube videos.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ Hey, we didn't have youtube before. I remember wishing there was a compilation of Kurt's performences for sale. Now we get to watch an amazing number of performances for free. I'm grateful.

Yeah. I remember the day someone pointed me to Kurt's "Singin' in the Rain." I knew I had hit the jackpot. I even found Toller Cranston portraying Tybalt from the old Romeo and Juliet dramatization I had oreviously seen only on my old black and white TV years ago. I may never get to see figure skating competitions live again, but I will not be without resources as long as there is YouTube.

ivy

On the Ice
I'm another that can't get IN to work well for me. I have dsl, but at the slowest speed out there - but it's all that I can get where I live. I stream Netflix and Pandora, but can't watch IN at all. Uni Sport coverage is OK and rarely stalls for me, though I don't usually watch live. Just my 2 cents

Nadine

Record Breaker
IN, it's worth every penny, this from a 4-year subscriber (been with them from the very beginning). :cool:

Suggestions for improvement, please offer to cover the Nationals of other countries, in particular Russian Nationals, Japanese Nationals, French Nationals. My only complaint. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with my annual automatic subscription.

macy

Record Breaker
the only thing that bothers me about IN is that they're slacking on commentary. 2 years ago they had commentary in all disciplines for nationals, then last year it was only for seniors. also, there is no more commentary for junior nationals. i'm bummed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they're damned if they do, damned if they don't... most hardcore fans (who would be the target audience of online pay for view programs like IN) do not enjoy the commentary, so IN has been giving the fans what they want.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Addendum: not to make it sound like everything was fun & roses, I did have to contact IN a few times during the first two years b/c of black out issues, et al. I got angry at them a few times. But overall everything has been a-okay, especially the "no commentary", which I've loved from the very beginning. Just the skaters, the music, the moment. Nothing like it imho. :cool:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Oh, this sounds awful. I hate Universal Sports for suddenly getting greedy, and I hate my cable provider, who loses a channel a year due to some contract dispute. The others came back after a week or two, but Universal Sports is pretty awful except during big figure skating and gymnastics competitions. I guess I have to pay (or take my chances with NBC's weekend coverage).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Universal Sports on Comcast here in CT appears to be continuing past the new year. (The Guide has been updated on our TV).

And a fortunate thing! US is putting out a skating 2011 retrospective tonight!! at 8 pm EST.

If you have US, check it out.

ilsalund

Rinkside
US Viewers Guide

I just got US via DIRECTV today even though I had it with my former cable co. I've got a question regarding the Viewers Guide: it's been saying for a few weeks now that coverage for 2012's Europeans was coming soon, yet it's not airing on my tv nor did the info get updated. Clearly, I'm misunderstanding something here but I don't know what. Clarification anyone? Thanks a bunch.

:unsure::disapp::confused: