Spanish Skaters - news & thoughts | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Spanish Skaters - news & thoughts

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Spanish Skaters are at Euros!

Hurtado & Diaz made it through the qualification round in dance.
They finished 5th in the QR with a 72.01 score for their FD.

Javier Fernandez did not have to skate the QR. Neither did Sonia Fuente. There are no Spanish pairs at Euros.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
http://www.abc.es/20120129/deportes/abci-europeo-patinaje-201201290203.html

Just wanted to post this before I finally went to bed. Super tired from all the excitement of Euros and US Nats.

I'll try to translate it tomorrow. Super sleepyyy.
We still love you, Javi!!! On to Worlds!

Rough translation.
Here we gooo:

Spanish skater Javier Fernandez has finished 6th in the mens event at the European Championships in Sheffield (United Kingdom). Fernandez, who was in 4th place after the short program and was one of the favorites to medal,has not (wasn't able) to meet expectations after a bad free program, in which he only scored 142.15 points,more than 20 points less than his personal score.

Under the chords of Verdi(literal translation) the Madrileno(sorry don't have or I haven't figured out the ene letter on my phone yet, not sure how to translate, but basically means he hails from Madrid) was aiming in the free program for a great degree of difficulty which included 2 different quads, the most difficult jumps done in competition.
He was able to do the 2 quads, metz(??? Not familiar with the translation of jump names in Spanish, maybe someone can clarify?) and salchow correctly, but on his third element, the triple axel, he had a technical failure and wasn't able to even take off.
From there other errors ocurred that took the Spaniard from 4th in the short to 7th in the free program to finally finish in 6th overall with a total score of 222.26, about 12 points from the bronze medal.
Even though it's a disappointing result,it was an improvement from the Europeans in Bern in 2011 where he placed 9th.
6th place is the best finish ever for a Spaniard. Also, he maintains 2 entries for Spain for Zagreb 2012.
In Sheffield, Javier Raya was the 2nd entry, but at the last minute, withdrew because of injury.
As he admitted himself after he finished his program,
"I should have fought for the medals, but after starting well, my head has gone away(literal translation, more like..I lost my head. You get the idea.) and I wasn't able to get back. I blame (again, literal translation, but it doesn't sound as bad in Spanish. Hehe. More like...I believe) the pressure and physical and mental weariness(tiredness) of the Grand Prix competitions(affected me.)
Now I can only train as hard as I can to try and be one of the best in Nice."

Some things I wasn't absoulutely sure about so if any Spanish speakers want to add anything...

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
The Sonia Lafuente bit...

Unfair scoring for Lafuente

From her part the Spanish representative in the ladies event, Sonia Lafuente, finished in 15th place with a total score of 133.64 points.
Even though she dropped 2 placements from the short program, the truth is, Lafuente, who was 12th last year, had a practically clean long program that the judges scored extremely low and whose announcement was received with boos by the audience.
The skater and her coach Carolina Sanz can't explain the scoring.
"I always accept the errors and the deductions, but in this case, I don't agree." Sonia said after her program.
From her part, her coach added that "the scoring and the program will be analyzed thoroughly."

In the last paragraph, its mentioned that Carolina Kostner won gold with a clean and "extremely simple" program. Lol.