algebra problem | Page 3 | Golden Skate

algebra problem

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Mathman
Sheldon's version's of the circle problem goes like this. (And this really is how extra-galactic astronomers attempt to measure the curvature of the universe. So far all measurements are consistent with the Euclidean model -- curvature = 0.)

Suppose we could draw a circle of radius 2 meters in empty space, far from any gravitating matter. Suppose that we could measure the circumference so accurately that we could compute pi = C/D out to 52 decimal places. Suppose that the 52nd decimal place of pi computed by this method turned out to be 7 instead of 8.

What is the curvature of the universe?

Hint: c = [2 (textbook pi) / k ] sin (rk). Solve for k as above. (Answer: .07 per billion light years. )

Sheldon told me that.
The only thing that I can say is that this is truly fascinating. :)

Maybe I should have chosen purely math-related career, at least all this stuff is much funnier than I what I have to do those days...

skatinginbc

Medalist
Suppose we could draw a circle of radius 2 meters in empty space, far from any gravitating matter. Suppose that we could measure the circumference so accurately that we could compute pi = C/D out to 52 decimal places. Suppose that the 52nd decimal place of pi computed by this method turned out to be 7 instead of 8. What is the curvature of the universe?
When I read that paragraph, I thought of "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously", a famous sentence of Noam Chomsky. :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont have anything to contribute but they showed me this pic at work and I was laughing all morning non stop, maybe it is not that funny afterall but I found it hilarious:laugh: