ISU judging error for dance results GPF | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU judging error for dance results GPF

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Worlds outcome will all depend on how the two teams perform on that day. The teams are so close that neither has a particular advantage---as long as they stay on their feet.

It should be noted that the GPF result was NOT changed---D/W still won the GPF FD. The ISU acknowledged the software scoring error and presumably intend to fix it. Results can only be changed within a limited timeframe and the error was discovered long after that time had passed.

Thanks for that info. I was under the assumption that the FD result was changed.

shan

Rinkside
What does their friendship (I'm assuming you mean D/W and V/M) have to do with the error in judging?

I lost my (long) post...

If you mean that you lost it into cyberspace when you tried to post, yeah, this happens quite a bit when you compose a long post in the dialogue box. :cry: I don't know exactly why, but it seems to have something to do with other people posting at the same time. For some reason Internet Explorer does not work as well with vBulletinboard as some other browsers do, like Firefox, Opera, and Safari.

The safest solution, when making a long and thoughtful post, is to compose it in a word document, then paste into GS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you sign in with "Remember me" checked, even in explorer you can recover most of your post.

The most recent version of vbulletin has an Auto save feature - you will see Auto Save popping up periodically in the lower right hand corner of your screen. If you should lose your data, go back to the page you were on and hit Reply to Thread. At the lower left hand corner of the dialog box, it will say Restore Auto Save. Click on the message.

Your lost message will appear in the dialog box (I deliberately tested it out with this message, so yes, it works).

heyhey

On the Ice
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year. With regards to the software error for the combination lift, I am glad that this has been identified - but as other posters have indicated this should have been caught earlier in the season. D/W and V/M are in a close race this year and 4ccs and worlds will be interesting. I am a fan of both teams as they bring different strengths to the table. However, I have to agree with IP that per the judging criteria as it stands it favors D/W strengths. By the way, I also think that the judging criteria also favors Patrick Chan. Whether or not next year the pendulum swings more to the middle in terms of PCS scores we shall see. D/W have a lovely FD this year. Is it outside their comfort zone? No. Does this music help - definitely. On the other hand V/M's FD is more of a harder sell. Whether or not V/M continue to make the necessary adjustments to both the SD and FD - we shall see. The D/W ubers would argue that last year, D/W were out of their comfort zone with their tango FD. I agree that they made great strides however I would also argue that if a dance team cannot do a decent tango well then they shouldn't be world champs. I just hope that V/M sticks around until Sochi....and that D/W are not peaking this year with their style of skating...

Besides the 2 top teams, I will be very interested to see how Cappellini/Lanotte and the Shibutunis are scored against each other this year. C/L are quietly doing a great job with their programs this year.

Lastly, it will be interesting to see if icenetwork will have any articles about this software miscalculation...

P.S. Can't wait for both US and Canadian nationals this year...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
heyhey!

Welcome to Golden Skate. May you post long and often.

I am always thrilled when another ice dance fan joins the forum!

It's already been an exciting season for the dancers, and it's going to be more exciting.

I can't wait.

Mathman, you beat me to it....

heyhey

On the Ice
Thanks to everyone for the warm reception and looking forward to posting here...have been a lurker for some time and decided might as well join the party!

veravina

Rinkside
The current judging may favour D&W's skills, however, I think V&M are being underestimated. I never thought they'd beat D&W's Indian themed OD with a flamenco, but they came out and absolutely killed it. These two are ferocious competitors and while the 4 continents may be too soon for V&M - since it's in the US, I think they will win World's this year.
I don't understand the obstinancy of the ISU about correcting results when a mechanical error is found. Particularly this time when no one's medal would have changed.

Ravensque

On the Ice
My opinion on this is that should an error be discovered, whether it's a judge's error or a software error, this should be reflected asap whether it changes the medals or not. These errors are not the skaters' fault. In the case of V/M & D/W, it would not have made much of a difference (only that V/M would have pulled slightly ahead in the FD), but then again that should be noted in the results.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Results can be changed only within a very narrow time frame, a matter of hours. The error was discovered after more than a week. If the ISU changed the results of the GPF, then they'd have to go back and recalculate ALL the ice dance results since the start of the season. V/M wouldn't have won the GPF anyway---why open a can of worms just to assuage Scott Moir's pride?

T

Taffy

why open a can of worms just to assuage Scott Moir's pride?

Scott Moir has nothing to do with it, nor does any skater. How did an ISU mistake become about a particular skater? All ice dancers are potentially impacted. This is very serious.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Here's the thing - it's actually quite lucky that no ice dancers were seriously impacted. The Shibutanis won NHK with 0.09 points. What would've happened if they lost by that much? This error would be the reason. P/B didn't compete at Skate Canada due to their bronchitis, but this could've easily meant the difference between silver or bronze. And what about at sectionals/regionals, where this might have meant the difference between qualifying for Nationals. Or at a Senior B, where this would've meant the difference between getting a season best or not. I doubt Moir's pride would be assuaged by winning the FD given that his complaint was largely about PCS, which remain unaffected.

In the end, I think recaculating all dance totals is actually the right thing to do. It won't change anything here, but I don't see how letting the totals stand (which affect half the dancers at the GPF) is somehow better.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I agree with everyone who wrote that this is hardly about Scott Moir's pride; it's a matter of correcting a serious calculation error that could have impacted skaters throughout the season. With some pretty close rivalries going on at the moment, it's important that the ISU makes sure everything is calculated correctly and that the skaters are properly marked for what they do on the ice. Publicizing the calculation error was therefore important, and doing so without addressing whether or not it had affected any competition so far would have looked like the ISU was trying to hide something. Better to be transparent about it - something that should certainly be encouraged when it comes to the ISU.

p.s. Scott's comments were about the PCS anyway, or more accurately, about artistry. Which is not the same as PCS and certainly not related to GOEs.

veravina

Rinkside
Nail Moir to the cross if you must for some ill-advised remark he made, but don't hold him or any other skater responsible for the software error that lead to a judging miscalculation. If the ISU wants the judging system to be seen as accurate and therefore better than the old 6.0 one, then they have to make the corrections when they're discovered - and win, lose or draw - correct everyone's score whenever and wherever it's required.

npa

Match Penalty
O yes - Moir upset two Angels - Dawis-White :)
Moir said the truth and he didnt said nothing bad about D-W, judges or ISU. Wood D-W coldnt be compare with V-M in any of the component score, but Scott talked only about artistry impression, wich didnt mean a lot now days. Not only in ice dance, look at pairs competition - S-Z had lower component score, then V-T.
Sad, that nobody notice any problems in technikal score since Juli 2011. Look like only skating fans notice this and ask ISU about that problem with the combination lift score. Not first time ISU show unprofessional work.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moir did say V/M were the best ice dancers in the world. While he may believe that to the core, it isn't the most diplomatic thing to say at a time when they finished behind another team. That implies the other team is not on their level, and that simply is not true.

Scott comes across as immature, a bit arrogant and somewhat lacking in sportsmanship. Some V/M fans seem to think it's great that Scott speaks his mind, but if Charlie White or Meryl Davis said something disparaging about another team, those same fans would be outraged.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Moir did say V/M were the best ice dancers in the world. While he may believe that to the core, it isn't the most diplomatic thing to say at a time when they finished behind another team. That implies the other team is not on their level, and that simply is not true.

Scott comes across as immature, a bit arrogant and somewhat lacking in sportsmanship. Some V/M fans seem to think it's great that Scott speaks his mind, but if Charlie White or Meryl Davis said something disparaging about another team, those same fans would be outraged.

This is true and not an unfair comment to make. I myself was pleased that he made this comment for reasons previously stated. But this isn't really relevant to the software error.