ISU judging error for dance results GPF | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU judging error for dance results GPF

npa

Match Penalty
Moir did say V/M were the best ice dancers in the world. While he may believe that to the core, it isn't the most diplomatic thing to say at a time when they finished behind another team. That implies the other team is not on their level, and that simply is not true.

Scott comes across as immature, a bit arrogant and somewhat lacking in sportsmanship. Some V/M fans seem to think it's great that Scott speaks his mind, but if Charlie White or Meryl Davis said something disparaging about another team, those same fans would be outraged.

O yes, like i said before - Angels D-W and devil Moir :laugh:
He said they are best artistry, but he didnt said- we are the best team overall, but not best overall. But who care - small americans in danger :biggrin:
Honestly, i never could understand, why V-M stay woith D-W and Z-Sh so long- they are so much better, then this.
Someone need to help ice dancing, because this is going something wrong if Davis on the top of the sport and White on the top not in free skating, but in ice dance.
Honestly, cant wait D-W will retier - judges andc D-W fans didnt give me any chance to love them :unsure:

heyhey

On the Ice
Moir did say V/M were the best ice dancers in the world. While he may believe that to the core, it isn't the most diplomatic thing to say at a time when they finished behind another team. That implies the other team is not on their level, and that simply is not true.

Scott comes across as immature, a bit arrogant and somewhat lacking in sportsmanship. Some V/M fans seem to think it's great that Scott speaks his mind, but if Charlie White or Meryl Davis said something disparaging about another team, those same fans would be outraged.

I agree that Moir's timing and choice of words were not perfect to say the least. But I don't think that Davis/White are perfect either. There was a fluff piece with Davis/White during Skate America celebrating their World title and what it meant to the US and how this was a big breakthrough - which I agree it was. But the fluff piece was cringeworthy on so many levels in terms of bashing Russian dominance/biased judging and Davis in particular made some interesting quotes that would make you believe that some Russian greats were not worthy of their medals. So I don't think the entitlement issue is just with Moir. I don't have the link to the interview, but if you see the fluff piece - it will be an eye-opener. And it is ironic with this fluff piece that D/W - yes have overcome the Russian dominance but are actually coached by ex-Russians, LOL...

npa

Match Penalty
And it is ironic with this fluff piece that D/W - yes have overcome the Russian dominance but are actually coached by ex-Russians, LOL...

I thought the same - dear Mery, your so close to you coach was champion at JWCh at that time, so he didnt deserve this? Both D-W coaches had Tsaikovskay bases, who coach Pohomova-Gorshkov - they must lose to americans? Grinenko, who learned how to dance in Russia (or Soviet Union) help D-W with this year SD. And i remeber she talking about "russian domination", but people know in that time not all ice dancers was from Russia (famouse Grishuck-Platov was from Ukrain).
And what was americans from D-W gold at last year WCH? Davis and White? Who they will be without Shpilband and Zueva?

At least Moir never talk about unfair medals for other teams. And even in interview for fans Tessa and Scott said, they are not thinking about unfair results, because they start thinking what they need improove before next competition.
And did you remember White sadi he thinking all year after 2009 WCh about he lose medal at WCH? So in this case he dont think he was better at 2009 WCh then other teams?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Um, Shabalin said in an interview something to the effect that it was an insult to be placed below D/W at Vancouver.

mskater93

Record Breaker
And did you remember White sadi he thinking all year after 2009 WCh about he lose medal at WCH? So in this case he dont think he was better at 2009 WCh then other teams?

I believe Charlie was saying that it was an incentive to work harder because they just missed out on a medal at Worlds in 2009; his comment was along the lines of "it was disappointing to just miss out" not "wuzrobbed". Please either provide an exact quote or video to Charlie ever "wuzrobbing".

npa

Match Penalty
I believe Charlie was saying that it was an incentive to work harder because they just missed out on a medal at Worlds in 2009; his comment was along the lines of "it was disappointing to just miss out" not "wuzrobbed". Please either provide an exact quote or video to Charlie ever "wuzrobbing".

Scott didnt said "wuzrobbed".

heyhey

On the Ice
I apologize if my comment above reared the discussion off topic...yikes...but back to the software error - I agree with several posters that this is an important issue and should have been better addressed by the ISU.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Scott comes across as immature, a bit arrogant and somewhat lacking in sportsmanship.

No he doesn't but I'm not surprised that you would think so given that you've looked for ways to trash V&M in the past.

I don't have a problem when athletes say they think they should have won, especially given that these comments were made immediately after the scores were posted. It's not like Scott went on about it endlessly for days afterward. I didn't have a problem when Charlies expressed his disappointment in 2009.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like and respect V/M as a dance team, but I was a shocked and taken aback at Scott's outburst. It IS rather unusual behavior in the ice dance community.

npa

Match Penalty
I like and respect V/M as a dance team, but I was a shocked and taken aback at Scott's outburst. It IS rather unusual behavior in the ice dance community.

How many years did you watch ice dancing? Maybe since 2011?
Did you know Scott personally if you could discuss his personality, not only his skating?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have been watching ice dance since the 90s. I had never commented on Scott's personality until his outburst. I had no idea he had such an outsized ego.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
When and where he said this?

In an article in August 2010, I believe. Buttercup posted it elsewhere.

But lets be clear. The comment re: 2009 was about Charlie using the close medal loss as MOTIVATION - aka, motivation to get out of bed at 4 AM before classes. Motivation to work their buts off on the compulsories (which is what lost them the medal), etc.

Of course, until someone can explain why someone's comments at a press conference should stop them from fixing a software error, it's just idle chatter.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott's remarks have nothing whatever to do with the software error. People who want to draw erroneous conclusions will do so no matter what the facts are.

npa

Match Penalty
Have been watching ice dance since the 90s. I had never commented on Scott's personality until his outburst. I had no idea he had such an outsized ego.

So you prefer forget what was said by Averbukh, Drobaysko-Vangas, Grishuck, Krylova-Ovsynnikov, Anisina, when she lose to F-P-M, F-P-M, Staviisky ect. :biggrin: Or you didnt watch ice dance too long ;)
Scott is one of the best male ice dancer ever - why he should think he is worst, then Charlie? :laugh: And they are spend a lot of time together, do you think Scott all time didnt talk at all? :biggrin: If you all time before talking about love in Canton, what changes now?
Do oyu notice, White mom stop posting Charlie photos with Scott after OG? Maybe because she think Scott was the best :laugh:

Of course, until someone can explain why someone's comments at a press conference should stop them from fixing a software error, it's just idle chatter.
Who care, if someone want to talk about devil Scott, who affected on ISU error and must be first in FD at GPF, when D-W must be firts forever and ever and when they are ideal off and on ice?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How closely were you watching? Scott has always struck me as confident to the point of arrogance, though he and Tessa were generally able to back it up on the ice.

In an article in August 2010, I believe. Buttercup posted it elsewhere.
It wasn't me; the only related article I'd have posted would be the IN one about how Massimo Scali didn't go about claiming he wuzrobbed, contrary to some reports in the NA media. Shabalin's comments immediately after the Olympic FD were twisted quite a bit, too, but that's a different issue - because the Shabalin interview in question dates from June 2010. I believe he was retired by then (Domnina was pregnant at the time), and he's allowed not to admire D/W. I see nothing wrong with discussing one's impression of other skaters once you're not competing against them.

I'll reiterate that I seriously doubt the ISU's announcement had anything to do with Scott Moir's post-GPF comments. It was a mistake that needed to be corrected, and the ISU did the right thing for a change and were transparent about it.

npa

Match Penalty
How closely were you watching? Scott has always struck me as confident to the point of arrogance, though he and Tessa were generally able to back it up on the ice.

O yes - you all know Scott so good :cool:

Dragonlady

Final Flight

Confident yes, arrogant no. And yes, I do know him personally.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Scott didnt said "wuzrobbed".

I didn't and have never said Scott "wuz robbed"; I was commenting about your implication that Charlie cried "wuz robbed" with regard to 2009 Worlds and my comment said nothing about Scott. :rolleye: Charlie said just missing was incentive and motivation to work harder. :rolleye: Please read for context in my comments next time before you snark off and definitely please read or watch interviews for context since you seem to be confused as to what was said/intimated in the interview. I asked for a link to said interview where you implied Charlie "wuz robbed".

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What Scott said was that their presentation marks were too low, since they are 'the best ice dance team of the last 5 years'. Isn't that implying V/M were shortchanged in their presentation scores?

I'm sure the ISU judges took Scott's reminder of V/M's vast superiority to heart, and will make certain never ever to place any team ahead of them ever again. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: