Plushenko and Europeans | Golden Skate

Plushenko and Europeans

skateluvr

Record Breaker
such a shame...plush is really needed for his star power and great skating. boooo!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Theoretically, Plushenko could compete at the International Trophy of Lyon next week (Jan 6-8) and qualify for Euros, but that competition is only for ice dance. There are no other Senior Bs for Senior Men until February, so it looks as if he is out of luck for Euros.

There are several Senior Bs where he could compete to qualify for Worlds:

Feb 2-5 Bavarian Open
Feb 9-12 Nordics
Mar 8-11 International Challenge Cup
Mar 13-18 Mt Blanc Trophy

Probably the February competitions would be best datewise (Worlds is March 26-Apr 1).
He would probably have no problem medaling in either Bavarian Open or Nordics.

Plushenko is currently #47 on the World Rankings. A Senior B win would move him up to #33.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This world ranking thing serves absolutely no purpose. If a federation wants to send a skater to an event they should be able to. Forcing someone like Plushenko to compete in some small event could actually prevent another skater on the edge from being able to qualify for international events. Furthermore, from an event marketing standpoint, Euros would benefit tremendously from Plushenko's presence, yet he is going to compete in some event that probably won't be televised. It's a pity that the sport enforces all these technicalities (ranking, non-ISU event prohibition, etc) that result in all the best skaters being chased away from eligible competition.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This world ranking thing serves absolutely no purpose. If a federation wants to send a skater to an event they should be able to. Forcing someone like Plushenko to compete in some small event could actually prevent another skater on the edge from being able to qualify for international events. Furthermore, from an event marketing standpoint, Euros would benefit tremendously from Plushenko's presence, yet he is going to compete in some event that probably won't be televised. It's a pity that the sport enforces all these technicalities (ranking, non-ISU event prohibition, etc) that result in all the best skaters being chased away from eligible competition.
Your post makes no sense.

1. World ranking and minimum score are not the same thing. The only thing Plushenko's world ranking means is that he would have to skate in the QR at Euros, because he is the lowest-ranked Russian skater at the moment, having done no international events in so long.
2. The ISU is already restricting the federations from sending the skaters they want to ISU Championships. I'm sure the Japanese Federation would love to send more than three singles skaters, but they can't because three is the maximum number of spots a country can have. I imagine the Russian fed would be happy to send Adelina and/or Liza to Euros/Worlds, but they're too young. The minimum score rule is simply another ISU requirement.
3. Senior Bs are open to everyone and an elite skater competing in one is not depriving a lower-ranked skater of an opportunity to compete or post the minimum score. One could even argue that it is a benefit to lower-ranked skaters to be able to compete alongside someone at a high level; it's one of the things up and coming skaters often say about GPs and ISU Championships, that you learn from being on the ice alongside the best.
4. Plushenko's presence may benefit Euros from a marketing perspective, and it may not (see Lysacek and Skate America), but not every decision in skating should be made because of marketing reasons, or we'll be watching a lot of Adele programs in spotlights.
5. It seems to me that some of the best skaters are actually staying in the sport for more years, not less. Today, competitive skaters can support themselves doing shows and with endorsements, unlike in the past, and it's much easier to retain one's eligibility even without competing. Also, there's no thriving professional circuit to attract them.

I think it's perfectly fine to question whether this rule makes sense (I think it does) and whether it should be applied to a skater like Plushenko (I would say probably not; there can be an exemption for top returning skaters, such as former Olympic medalists or World Champions). But an argument based on factually incorrect assertions isn't very convincing.

I haven't followed Plushenko's training very closely, but could he have skated at one of the later senior Bs of the fall season, such as Golden Spin? It was only two weeks before Russian Nats. If he was too injured to skate, that's one thing. If he and his team knowingly chose not to compete despite existing regulations and lobby for an exemption, that's a different scenario. And it's worth noting that Plushenko doesn't have a minimum score not only because he was injured this fall, which is something he could not control, but also because he was ineligible last season. I think the loss of eligibility was mostly his federation's fault - but being ineligible for a year doesn't strike me as compelling a reason as injury to grant a skater a pass on rules that apply to others.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I agree Buttercup with what you say except for the Lysacek comparisson part:cool:
T Flade mentioned on her IFS article that Plu in RN draw a great amount of media from other countries and the mix zone was crazy crowded and I dont know the deal with Lysacek and US media but how often figure skating-besides online press that I saw articles in many countries- gets a full page on sports newspapers? I cant find the italian headlins now but you know what I mean.

bestskate8

On the Ice
:rolleye:

lets wait and see, too many words

I don't care if he skates at Euro 2012, why make it as a big deal? or admit HE IS a big deal:laugh:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I agree Buttercup with what you say except for the Lysacek comparisson part :cool:
I think Plushy's status in the sport is different from Lysacek's, but I just don't know how much of a difference his going to Euros (or not) would have on the bottom line, since TV deals are already in place and I am not certain that the difference in ticket sales would be that considerable one way or another. Are there many fans who will only go to Euros if Plushenko's participation is confirmed? Are ticket revenues greatly dependent on this? I can't imagine that's the case, and if it is, that's not a very sound business plan. Have ticket sales been sluggish? They weren't last year, despite Bern being an expensive (and cold!!!) venue. If a lot of tickets remain available - is Plushenko specifically a huge attraction to casual fans in the UK, who might be last-minute ticket buyers? I'm just not sure there is any specific skater who would be a major draw for Euros in the UK and have a noticeable effect on the success of the event from a marketing perspective, unless it's someone who's been on Dancing on Ice :biggrin:. In terms of media coverage, it's Euros, not a senior B. There will be coverage no matter what happens.

This is why I do see a similarity to SA - because I suspect the only skaters who might have gotten a large number of people to go to a GP in Ontario are Michelle Kwan and Yu-Na Kim, and I can't really think of anyone who would have a similar effect on Euros this season (2010, being an Olympic year with higher stakes, was a different matter).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that would be awful :cry:
hopefully the RSFU sort things out and find a way for Zhenya to compete
I believe he stated he is not aiming for world's just Euro Championships

aren't there any of this senior B Comp.
maybe they can have a minium competition for men and let Zhenya compete in the group
in comp. before feb.

emma

Record Breaker
Buttercup - I appreciate your thoughtful comments above; I have not followed Plushenko's return closely either, but to answer your question, I think his Fall training and schedule were hampered by surgery.

Anyway, looks like he will be at Euros and Worlds (right?).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No surpise that the ISU is allowing Plushenko in Euro, even if I can't read Russian to understand the logic or logistics. I agree with the decision whether it's for marketing or, more importantly, for remedying unintended application of the rules. I agree with Buttercup re Plushenko's effect on broadcasting and ticket sales of the event but no matter what he puts out on the ice, Plushenko The Legend draws attention and is always newsworthy and that's always good for the ISU and the sport.

I, too, wish I could read Russian. It is a slippery slope to set aside, for an exceptional individual, qualifying rules that apply to everyone.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Plushenko is allowed to skate at Euros, that will set him up for the pre-Olympic season.

He will be on the SB list.

His World Ranking will go up. A top 6 at Euros could move him up into the low 30s.

He may not want to go to Worlds 2012 because he's really not quite ready for that. And a top 12 Worlds finish would mean he'd have to do 2 GP events next season. He's never wanted to do more than CoR.

If he is really serious about Sochi, though, he will compete at Worlds 2013.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I, too, wish I could read Russian. It is a slippery slope to set aside , for an exception individual, qualifying rules that apply to everyone.

I'm guessing they go by some rule we are not aware of, a loophole if you will, which should apply to someone else in the same situation, with or without legend status.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it is a pity that there is such a rule, but since there is, it should apply to every skater. Otherwise it has no sense to have rules, if exceptions are being allowed.

Last edited: