Fumie & Shizuka go to World | Golden Skate

Fumie & Shizuka go to World

Kenji

Rinkside
Yesterday, Japan federation decided to send Fumie and Shizuka to Worlds. Because they got podium at GPF.
So, Yukina, Yoshie, Yukari and Miki compete for the rest of one ticket for Worlds at Japan Nat (and 4 continental ).

I'm so excited. Go Yukina!:love:

kasia16

On the Ice
I hope I'll see Yukina again at Worlds!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!
GO YUKINA !!!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Yoshie

How ironic that the two girls that battled it out for that ONE spot for the 2002 Olympics are the same two girls that put Yoshie Onda in the same predicament two years later for the world championships...I think Japan should just send the girls that finish 1-2-3 at Nationals. Forget this using the GPF for selection. Russia did that with the 1998 Olympics, and sent Irina who finished 4th, over Olga Markova who finished 3rd.

dewet

Final Flight
I think they do that just as a safety measure. With the potential that the Japanese ladies have, Shizuka and Fumie could be beaten if they do not skate their best. They'll still go to worlds, and that's what their federation wants. I also think that the Japanese fed. wants Yoshie on the team, but then what would be the point of Nats?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
japanese nats

dewet said:
I think they do that just as a safety measure. With the potential that the Japanese ladies have, Shizuka and Fumie could be beaten if they do not skate their best. They'll still go to worlds, and that's what their federation wants. I also think that the Japanese fed. wants Yoshie on the team, but then what would be the point of Nats?

That's true...but I guess we're going to get another jumper, since Miki Ando will be going to worlds, instead of Yoshie Onda. I wish Japan, USA, and any country with a medalist at worlds can send five representatives for that discipline. I mean, maybe it would create more relaxed skaters, but I feel horrible for certain skaters who don't make it. Some end up breaking down (Nicole Bobek after the USFSA refused to give her a bye to worlds in 1996), and some become stronger (Slutskaya in 2000).

dewet

Final Flight
Miki is a jumper, but her artistic side isn't bad either. Her coach, Nabuo Sato, is also Fumie's coach, so jumping isn't all she's doing. I think Yoshie is a great skater, but will being off the world team motivate her, or break her down? Maybe this is good for her, and she'll work on her presentation even more.

dewet said:
Miki is a jumper, but her artistic side isn't bad either. Her coach, Nabuo Sato, is also Fumie's coach, so jumping isn't all she's doing. I think Yoshie is a great skater, but will being off the world team motivate her, or break her down? Maybe this is good for her, and she'll work on her presentation even more.

I have to see Miki Ando skate. I'm familiar with the others from TV related competitions, but Miki, I have not yet seen. Hopefully, she skates 4CC and just doesn't byepass it for the Worlds.

I think a lot of GS members are anxiously awaiting their first view of Miki, as I am.

Joe

dewet

Final Flight
Miki won't be going to 4CC because she's doing both Senior and Junior Worlds(I think).Hopefully, she makes the ABC brodcast.

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
This is very signifigant for Japan, all of their ladies are capable of winning! Obviously assuming Kwan would faulter since internationally the judges still favor her and rightfully so (she is amazing--duh). Ando has a lot of hype, which she deserves--the jumps are great, but will she get credit? I'm sure she can pull it off at worlds, she's done the 4s and 3z-3l many times at comps (Japan Nats, Jr Worlds, etc) and her artistry isn't bad. Shizuka is just getting better and better. She is so nice to watch, so calm and great 3z, especially in combination with 3l. I hope she does well. Fumie is just amazing. I love watching her, her jumps are huge and have that perfect arc. This is so hard, I like so many of the ladies but I can't decide.

First of all:

Michelle I think will win, unless Ando is on and Michelle is not.

Sasha Cohen--sorry this won't be your year, again. You'll make mistakes and other people will just be too good.

Fumie--could be off the podium, 5 triples won't cut it in this field.

AP--if she goes, she'll do well. Better "killer instinct" than Jenny Kirk. Loves big comps.

Shizuka--could be on the podium if she lands that 3-3 and can hold it together. Big improvement this year.

Slutskaya--haven't seen her yet, if she's overcome the illness and personal tragedies she's another given.

Poundcake--I feel sooo bad for. That weight is not helping. She can barely do 2z. I hope she pulls it together and doesn't fall back off the face of the earth.

Volchkova--I've lost faith in her, she just can't land her jumps under pressure.

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
Haha thanks mathman, the name does suit her now, she looks awful.

It is interesting, the Russian ladies bounce around a lot. Irina had life problems in general including her weight and skating abilities. Elena had similar and the weight is bad right now. Remeber Julia Soldatova who now skates for Belarus? She fell off the face of the earth like Irina and Elena did. Maria Butraskaya always had her consistency issues also. VV has never been able to pull it together and Yulia Laverenchuck (may have skated for Ukraine or Belarus--anyways former USSR) nearly died when her coach starved her. Oksana Baiul trained with Russian coaches and skaters and she had issues as we all know. I'd hate to see Poundcake continue to follow in the path of her peers, she seems like a nice girl.

britt_sk8

Spectator
Kenji said:
Yesterday, Japan federation decided to send Fumie and Shizuka to Worlds. Because they got podium at GPF.
So, Yukina, Yoshie, Yukari and Miki compete for the rest of one ticket for Worlds at Japan Nat (and 4 continental ).

I'm so excited. Go Yukina!:love:

I really hope that Fumie can improve her 3rd place at Worlds! She has already beat Sasha so whats one more time !
GOOD LUCK FUMIE ! !