Wagner and Mahbanoozadeh- Rising to the Occasion? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wagner and Mahbanoozadeh- Rising to the Occasion?

Trewyn

Medalist
Wagner has always talked this way about herself leading up to Nationals. Before 2010 Nationals, she talked about how she had an advantage over the other skaters because she had made the Grand Prix Final. She skated well in both SP (4th) and FS (2nd), but wound up 3rd and missed a trip to the Olympics.

Last season, she was double-footing many of her jumps, which left her 7th in the SP, 5th in the FS and 6th overall at Nationals. At least she seems to have overcome that particular problem.

Ashley didn't exactly have a good SP at 2010 Nationals. She fell on her lutz. That fall is exactly what cost her the trip to the Olympics.

Last year's Nats was very disappointing :s

As a very open Ashley-fan, I'd like to think she's not delusional in thinking she has a decent shot at the title. She's gone head to head with Flatt and Nagasu earlier this season and came out on top. Unfortunately she *has* said similar things pre-Nationals the past couple of seasons, so yeah, we can only hope this will be the year she delivers.

macy

Record Breaker
Ashley didn't exactly have a good SP at 2010 Nationals. She fell on her lutz. That fall is exactly what cost her the trip to the Olympics.

Last year's Nats was very disappointing :s

As a very open Ashley-fan, I'd like to think she's not delusional in thinking she has a decent shot at the title. She's gone head to head with Flatt and Nagasu earlier this season and came out on top. Unfortunately she *has* said similar things pre-Nationals the past couple of seasons, so yeah, we can only hope this will be the year she delivers.

But, if Mirai and Rachael had had good programs during the grand prix, they most likely would have still beaten ashley. that's why i say this nationals will be very interesting with ashley's high-talk of herself.

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley has had the same 'high talk' for years now. Nothing new about it. Maybe the way she was quoted now made it seem extra 'obvious'.
Why? Ashley's generally had better grand prix seasons than Mirai and Rachael and sometimes Alissa the past seasons.
I'm not sure about Mirai's and Rachael's scoring potential being better than Ashley's right now... Rachael seems to have lost a lot of goodwill from the (international) judges and Mirai often skates like she doesn't like what she's doing, regardless of whether or not she's clean. Alissa is the only one with a clear 'edge'; she can afford errors and still win over a clean Ashley.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael is going to college this year and she spends a great deal of time in her car driving from school to rink and back again. Her training has suffered as a result, so at this point she's not a title contender and even second place may be out of reach.

As for Mirai, Alissa and Ashley, it all depends on what they do on the day. There are only two spots on the World team, so one of them will be staying home. They all have their pluses and minuses, but I think Mirai and Alissa have a better history of Nationals performance than Ashley does.

^ Seems like a good summary.

I'm glad to hear about Armin's move. He seemed so special last season, but fell behind so far this season. I wish him (and Ashley) a good Nats.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That's completely wrong. Unless we're talking about 3.3 seconds in slow-motion.

Have you actually timed it? There was Dartfish video on one of the iskatecoaches websites and it had actually air time. I'm pretty sure that was the number, but it's been awhile since I watched that video.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
^ I'm very sure no one is able to jump off the ground longer than 1s.
Mao Asada's 3A only takes less than .7s.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think this is Wagner's now or never season.

Why, she is only 20 years old? US has no superior lady and it's not like there are lots of young talents knocking on the door.

Go Ashley!

^ I'm very sure no one is able to jump off the ground longer than 1s.
Mao Asada's 3A only takes less than .7s.

Right. Joubert does a quad in 0.7 seconds. It was shown on a scientific TV-documentary from Japan about quads done by Joubert and Takahashi. They also showed the olympic long jumping champion. He was in the air for 0.8 seconds.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, Ashley is just 20, has the best LP music and program this year, and is skating with her usual passion. Mirai even if clean is so out of her best element this year, forget Flatt (sorry Rach) and Alissa is so inconsistent. Ashley could win, but I'm only hoping for silver so she is on the World team. Look how long Caro and Alissa skated before they had some good seasons?

I for one thought Caro should have quit after Vancouver, but she is winning, regardless of what some feel is not enough tech content.

Go Ashley! And Agnes and Gracie!

macy

Record Breaker
you have to remember though, alissa could have had much more success had she changed coaches much earlier. she definitely could have been an olympian. you can't deny that she hasn't been a ton more consistent though. look at last year! if i remember correctly the most mistakes she had at any international competition was 2, that was at trophee bompard.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ashley is clearly above Rachel Flatt right now. Even a good Flatt come Nationals will be crushed by a good Ashley. Rachel to put it bluntly is a has been. No need to worry about Flatt though, as she has already had a better career than Ashley really has any chance to ever reach, even if Wagner has finally passed her today.

Czisny and Nagasu are a whole other story. Wagner has no chance to beat Czisny unless Czisny bombs Nationals. That is why Wagner implying Nationals is hers to lose is a joke, it is clearly Alissa's to lose, and a clean Wagner cannot even come close to a clean Czisny right now and if she believes otherwise she is delusional. Wagner herself skating well couldnt even beat a subpar Leonova in her 2nd GP event. She can believe she has a chance at the title but declaring it hers to lose is just LOL.

Nagasu is the realistic target for Wagner to make the team. How they stack up now can be debated. Nagasu's programs this year arent the best and probably dont give her the best scoring potential even clean. Both can be inconsistent. I would say it is pretty much a toss up for 2nd place, assuming Czisny doesnt have a bad competition.

periperi

On the Ice
Haven't read the article, but is it somehow not *ladylike* to talk yourself up. When Chan talked like this in Vancouver, no one complained. (or did they?) Sexism!

I just don't see these double standards that people talk about. It seems to me that Chan gets plenty of backlash every time he talks himself up. :confused2:

I'm not a big fan of Wagner (I'm not a fan of any of the other ladies in contention either, to be honest), but I enjoy her more than Alissa and have enjoyed her more than Mirai this season so I hope she can clinch a spot on the world team. And I feel for her because of the times she's screwed herself over in the short program in the past and I don't want to see her do it again. So I wish her luck.

I've been a bit disappointed with Armin this season as his LP performance at SA last year really left an impression on me and this year he just feels flat. I'm sending good vibes his way for nationals as well.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Ashley is clearly above Rachel Flatt right now. Even a good Flatt come Nationals will be crushed by a good Ashley. Rachel to put it bluntly is a has been. No need to worry about Flatt though, as she has already had a better career than Ashley really has any chance to ever reach, even if Wagner has finally passed her today.

Czisny and Nagasu are a whole other story. Wagner has no chance to beat Czisny unless Czisny bombs Nationals. That is why Wagner implying Nationals is hers to lose is a joke, it is clearly Alissa's to lose, and a clean Wagner cannot even come close to a clean Czisny right now and if she believes otherwise she is delusional. Wagner herself skating well couldnt even beat a subpar Leonova in her 2nd GP event. She can believe she has a chance at the title but declaring it hers to lose is just LOL.

Nagasu is the realistic target for Wagner to make the team. How they stack up now can be debated. Nagasu's programs this year arent the best and probably dont give her the best scoring potential even clean. Both can be inconsistent. I would say it is pretty much a toss up for 2nd place, assuming Czisny doesnt have a bad competition.

ITA. couldn't have said it better...i just hope alissa can keep her cool in defending her title and not let the nerves of it get to her. you're totally right about ashley and mirai though...although i still think for whatever reason mirai has an edge.