Youth Olympics - ladies event | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Youth Olympics - ladies event

Mao88

Record Breaker
111 is not a bad score, it is just not her season best, I wish I could see as many 111s in the forthcoming Euros!

It is a good score. Remember, Liza obtained her season best score of 120.85 in seniors. However, she has now reverted back to juniors in which free skates only last 3 minutes 30 seconds (compared to 4 minutes for seniors) and there is one less element (junior girls do not have to do a spiral sequence). Had Liza had the extra 30 seconds and the spiral sequence, then she would probably have got around 116.00. Hence, the difference between her seasons best and what she did today was the fall on her triple flip, the single axel in her 1Ax3T combination, and the -0.60 GOE on the triple loop. Moreover, she skated first of the 6 competitors in the final group and the judges would therefore have marked her conservatively to allow room re the remaining skaters. I also get the impression that the Judges at these Olympics are being quite tough in terms of their marking compared to the GP/JGP.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
same here, I the judges are pretty tough here
considering this the first youth winter games and the competition isn't that up par yet
all the juniors have been scored pretty low on their skating contents. LOL

they must be setting the par for the real winter olympics

My 1st wish list came true.
Now off to Junior Worlds - > Julia Lipitskaya

jiggs

On the Ice
Just got back from the arena. Here is my report from the ladiezzzzzz. None of them really had outstanding skates, with the exception of Zijun who had the only clean free skate of the night!

Tuktamisheva: Was the deserved winner here but was not at her best either. Opened with a gorgeous 3lz3t, followed by another 3lz out of steps. She then fell on her 3f and you could see it coming in the set-up of the jump already. Did 1a3t instead of 2a3t, followed by a 3l with a turn-out on the landing. Nice 3s2t and a 2a tano to finish. Some very good jumps, but also some not so good ones in there. I found her a little overmarked on PCS, she really does not cover the ice well and was skating through the music, rushing from one element to the next. I hope she will learn to take her time for each movement in her programs in the future.

Sotnikova: Had quite a bad free skate. She did not look as sharp as in the short program and did not seem to believe in herself today. She was doing very well in the warm-up, landing a huge 3lz3l (even though it seemed a little pre-rotated) and all of her other jumps. In her free program, she started out with a 3lz3l (second jump UR and turnout), beautiful 3f, 2a2t(pop and df), 1flip, 3s2t, 1loop, 2a. She looked very disappointed in the end. I thought she was lucky not to end up third, I personally would have had her behind Zijun overall. It was close.

Zijun: was lovely. She is as light as a feather and her jumps look effortless. She could use a little more speed though. She did 3f2t, 2a3t2t (easy), 3flutz, 3s2t, 3f, 3l, 2a. Her coach was jumping after her last axel :) As I said, I would have had her in second overall, only just.

Park: After seeing her in practice and during warm-up, I thought she might have a shot at the podium. Her jumps are so consistent, but apparently not in competition She had a perfect warm-up, including 2a3t, lovely 3lz... In the program, she fell on her opening 3lz, followed by a 2a2t, a popped flip, lovely 3s2t, 3t2t, 3s, 2a. She pulled herself together in the end and did enough to finish in fourth, just edging out Anais Ventard (whose most difficult triple was a 3s and who did not have the best free skate either!).

Anais: was struggling a bit also but I loved her anyways. She brought the most energy to the ice, had the most interesting program and had the most difficult spins. She did 3t2t, 3t fall, 3s2t, 3s, 2a step out, 2a low on the landing and again step out. Her incredible spins must have given her enough points to stay up there. The audience loved her, and so did I :)

Risa: Another downgrade-fest for her :( But she showed that she CAN do it with her opening combo just right in front of me - 3s3t2t and I was like yesssssss that was not UR!! But it was followed by a 3lz that was clearly UR, a 2a3t << hard fall, 3f UR step-out, 3l2t UR, 3s looked fine, 2a. Her jumps look so clearly short on rotation even from where I was sitting, you don't need a slomo camera to tell. It's such a shame, because she does have very nice qualitites to her skating but if she doesn't get those jumps under control, it's just not going to happen for her :(

Honorable mention to Jordan Bauth who skated well too. She managed to eek out all of her planned triples, including the 3l which she struggled with in practice.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

thank you for your live updates
no one recorded any videos in free skate ? it will be a shame

this is really killing Adelina is her confidence issue
its very frustrating and the lack of confidence will further down her if she doesn't get it back :no:

btw there is still Mixed Competitions right ?
so does that mean all ladies will take part in mixed countries
and perform both short and free programs or is it just free skating ?
Adelina can still won the Team skating hopefully she is confident by this

Last edited:

jiggs

On the Ice
no one recorded any videos in free skate ? it will be a shame

btw there is still Mixed Competitions right ?
so does that mean all ladies will take part in mixed countries
and perform both short and free programs or is it just free skating ?
Adelina can still won the Team skating hopefully she is confident by this

I saw people recording stuff but I doubt we will get full videos of the programs.

The mixed competition takes place on Saturday and you can find participants' lists from all disciplines here: http://www.innsbruck2012.com/sport/disziplinen/eiskunstlauf

As far as I can see, neither Elizaveta nor Adelina are participating in it. I guess they want to go back home to properly prepare for Junior Worlds?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I think it was a big mistake of the USFSA that the best US girls were not there. How can for example Leah Keiser prefer US Nationals?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think it was a big mistake of the USFSA that the best US girls were not there. How can for example Leah Keiser prefer US Nationals?

Because in the US system, a lot of next season's assignments depend on the results of US Nationals. As in--skating career make-or-break. I don't think that many people in the skating community in the USA take the Youth Olympics all that seriously....at least not this first-ever event. And my understanding is, the USFSA allowed each of the eligible skaters to indicate some time ago, whether they wanted to be considered or not. If skaters purposely did not throw their hat in the ring, the USFSA wasn't going to force them.

On a different note, congrats to the Chinese team! Three events and three medals, gold, gold, and bronze! This can only help spark additional interest in skating here in China. Some top notch Juniors that have a shot at developing into world-class Seniors are just what the doctor ordered! :thumbsup:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Short clip and short Liza Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbZjPnduSis

TUKTAMISHEVA (RUS) savours Ladies' Figure Skating Gold as her great rival settles for Silver

http://www.innsbruck2012.com/en/new...ng_gold_as_her_great_rival_settles_for_silver

“I did not do my best performance," TUKTAMISHEVA said. "I had some mistakes and I could have done better, but I am still proud that I won Gold.”

TUKTAMISHEVA, who scored 173.10, fell after a jump in the beginning of her routine. “It was like I was flying in the air, and then oops, I fell on the ice.”

I feel so sorry for Adelina, she needs to get her CONFIDENCE Back :cry:

I did not understand what happened, but something made me nervous," she said. "I was trying to skate and enjoy, but eventually I did terrible. It was something mental.”

Having missed a number of jumps, SOTNIKOVA was extremely honest in her assessment of how she had performed.

“After my first jump was not successful, I tried to forget about it and to continue my performance," she said. "Then, when I tried another jump and I could not do it, I tried to continue and go."

“I skated so bad I had never seen before in my life."

“I did not skate well enough to be on the podium,” she said. “I am disappointed, my Short Programme was clean, this bad skating really upset me.”

euroskate

Final Flight
I saw people recording stuff but I doubt we will get full videos of the programs.

The mixed competition takes place on Saturday and you can find participants' lists from all disciplines here: http://www.innsbruck2012.com/sport/disziplinen/eiskunstlauf

As far as I can see, neither Elizaveta nor Adelina are participating in it. I guess they want to go back home to properly prepare for Junior Worlds?

From what i have heard the participants of the team event got drawn: 8 men, ladies and dance couples. the teams are put together after the results of the single competition so that in each team there is a good skater a middle one and a not so good one.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thank you for youtube link, I think Adelina is very hard on herself, it was not such a bad skate not to be on the podium, of course she deserved it.
I laughed a little on the vid, where Tuktamisheva fell on her jump because these are completely COP kids, she fell but when she got up she did the transition out of the jump, i found it funny!

bekalc

Record Breaker
From what i have heard the participants of the team event got drawn: 8 men, ladies and dance couples. the teams are put together after the results of the single competition so that in each team there is a good skater a middle one and a not so good one.

Thats stupid. Teams should be able to choose their own teams.