Moving blade to compensate for pronation | Golden Skate

Moving blade to compensate for pronation

treesprite

Final Flight
Hi all,

I returned to skating a couple months ago after a couple years off. I posted on this forum about a year or so ago when I was first thinking about coming back to skating, but then didn't get back to skating until now. I probably posted about the phobia and broken bones stuff... my skating history has been terrible.

I have pronation of the right foot because my tendons/muscle/nerves were cut/damaged by surgery and the placement of a metal plate that was allowed to rest on top of my inside ankle bone (plate was removed). Unlike most pronators, I have normal arches, so sticking something in my boot has not proven helpful. Physical therapy was also not helpful. I can't hold a ROE for more than a few seconds, or even just keep my blade flat, because the pronation causes the outer edge to lift up off of the ice as the pronation action shifts weight to the inside edge.

I know that moving my blade inward will help, but the problem is, the shops at both of the local rinks are telling me that a coach has to tell them to do it. I taught skating 20-some years ago (I'm 49), before taking a 17-year break from the ice to live a life, so I am not paying someone $40 just to tell a shop guy to move my blade.

What I would like to know, is what I can say to these guys to get one of them to move my blade?

I am planning to get new boots in a few months if I decide to keep skating "this time around" (will keep same blades). It doesn't make sense to fill a new boot full of re-positioning experimentation holes, when I can do it with this old boot then get the new boot done right on the first try. If I can't resolve the issue of compensating for the pronation while I still have the old boots, I can't get back to doing much on the ice, and if I can't do much, there is no point in buying new boots because I won't need them.

Any suggestions? If I can't get these guys to listen to me, does anyone know of a place around the WDCMA (MD-DC-VA) that won't be so uncooperative?

Thanks.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It seems odd they won't do it without a coaches say so. Mention that you used to coach, if that doesn't work explain exactly why you need the blade moved. You can also try asking around the rink. You might be able to find someone else who can move your blade or a coach who is willing to help for free. Also try skate sharpeners. Both the guys in my area will adjust the blade if asked.

treesprite

Final Flight
Thanks for the responses.

I am going to end up sharpening away my blades super fast if I keep wearing down the inside edge 90% faster than the outside.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Here's a test you may be able to do yourself before you move anything permenantly.

If the slotted holes on your blade have the screws in the middle of the slot, remove the screws from the unslotted holes. Loosen the slotted holes and move the baldes to the inside. If the blade was originally mounted in the middle of the slots you should be able to move the blade maybe 1/8 inch to the inside. Tighten the screws and try the blade with the new position and see if it solves your problem. Don't do any jumping with just a partial set of screws - just glides, stroking and crossovers. You may have to try a few positions of the blade

If you can find a position that solves your problem, you next have to find someone who will make the mounitng permanent. Sorry, can't help you there, but it is odd your local skate shop will not do what you ask, since you are and adult.

Some people oriingally mount blades using only half the unslotted holes, so with the blade in the new position all that would be needed is to put the screws in the previously unused holes where there was fresh leather to grab. If all the holes were used, you will have to get the soles plugged so that there will be leather for the screws to grab in the new position. ALso if the screw are rusted, get some fresh screws to use for the remount.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Along with grossano's suggestion, you can also shim under the blade on the inside to compensate for the pronation. I know someone who did this one piece of eletrical tape at a time because her boot soles were uneven.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Basically, you can slowly build it up piece by piece. You need an idea of where to start.

treesprite

Final Flight
Today what I did was leave one of the lace holes empty on just the outside. I can't remember what gave me that idea, but it helped at least a tiny bit.

jmen

Spectator
In addition to getting the blade set correctly, which is truly trial and error, do you wear orthotics? If you do, you may consider having one made for your boot. That said you still need to get the blade reset. (I used to live in Montgomery County and skated at Cabin John years ago when Walter. He got the blade properly set after a few failed attempts by others who shall remain nameless but think pro skate shop.) Before you begin loosening and moving the blade, mark with pencil where it is before you loosen and nudge the blade.

treesprite

Final Flight
I have been skating at Cabin John and Wheaton. Have you ever gone to the shop in Waldorf, Skaters Paradise? I was thinking about asking them to move the blade, but it's such a long drive (I've gotten skates there before, but it was a really long time ago).

treesprite

Final Flight
I decided that my boots are too misshapen from the pronation to wait until I save some money to get new ones. I ordered a pair of Jackson Elite Plus off of E-Bay yesterday, so when I get those (hopefully by Friday) I'll have the blade mounted in a hair. The stiffer straighter boots will help, and maybe if the blade is set in, I won't break the right one down sideways. They aren't new, but are still just out of the break-in period, which is ok for saving me a couple hundred bucks when I'm still re-learning easy stuff.